The End of Borders Bookstore: It's now over :_(

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Closing any time now

Damn :(
7/18/2011

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/borders-gets-no-love-from-bidders-forced-to-liquidate.html

Guess there is no hope in saving the store now... Now it's really time to use up your gift cards, and borders bucks.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/16/news/companies/borders_bankruptcy/index.htm?hpt=T2

Well everyone knew it was coming. It sucks though. Their 40% off coupons were nice and even beat out Amazon at times.

2-16-2011
List of locations :( (first batch)

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/st_borders0216_20110216.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the end right now... they are only closing 30% of their stores. I expect them to die out completely eventually though. They are so expensive.

It's not entirely surprising considering the waldenbooks where I used to live closed (I'm pretty sure they were owned by Borders), but that is crazy though. Not that it bothers me though. I only go there maybe twice a year (fantasy sports magazines) and can easily get them in drug stores instead if I need to.

I suspect that the 30% consists of the smaller Borders Express stores. If what we have seen in the past about stores not showing up in the store locator but you know it exist, it might be an indication that it is one of the 30%. Man it's gonna be a PITA if the one 15 mins from me shuts down, as the closest one to it is about 30-40 mins away, plus I would have to deal with traffic.

I couldn't tell you the last time I was even in a Borders store, let alone read an actual physical book.:cry: It's sad really, since I used to go through sometimes 4-5 books a month out of my backlog I still have(and will likely never finish).

I still have an entire plastic milk crate filled with all the books I was buying like crazy for a while but never got around to reading.:cry:

The waldenbooks near me closed down in I think late last year. Closest borders to me is like over an hour maybe even more and not worth going to. There is however a barnes and noble right next to where I work but of course there is no good coupons for B&N.

I don't really feel bad for the Borders, Blockbusters, Strawberries and FYE's of the world. They have been totally raping people with their pricing, whether it's what the need to survive isn't even an issue. When there are other avenues to go down to get things cheaper, they need to reinvent their business model.

I love going into Borders, they are also one of the only places left with a good physical album music selection, something else dying before our eyes. But what can you do?

Amazon.com is basically poised to be the biggest shopping outlet of our future.

I fail to see how the "Borders, Blockbusters, Strawberries and FYE's of the world" are raping people with their pricing, when they just sell books at MSRP. And while I can't speak for the other stores, Borders regularly sells books for less than MSRP, whether through a coupon or a special offer. And with those 33-40% coupons, their prices are comparable to Amazon's.

[quote name='Rasen']I fail to see how the "Borders, Blockbusters, Strawberries and FYE's of the world" are raping people with their pricing, when they just sell books at MSRP. And while I can't speak for the other stores, Borders regularly sells books for less than MSRP, whether through a coupon or a special offer. And with those 33-40% coupons, their prices are comparable to Amazon's.[/QUOTE]

At the one mall near me there were two record stores. One was a FYE and one was a local chain (until the FYE closed down last month). For just about every album the local record store (although it is a local chain in northeast pa) was infact cheaper than FYE, usually by like 3+ dollars. This record store has also been in business for like 20 years now as well.

The one closest to me is closing, not a huge deal as there's a Barnes and Nobles close by as well.

I seldom shop there anyway as I have Kindle that I use for all my leisure reading and buy all my work related books that I want in paper format from Amazon as well as the book stores don't tend to have those books and the prices usually stink.

But I think we'll continue to see B&M stores die off. It's hard for them to consistently beat prices from online stores that have lower overhead costs (fewer employees and facilities to pay utilities for etc.). And even then there are plenty of people like me who'd even pay more for something online to avoid having to hassle with heading to a store. Convenience/time is more valuable to me than saving a few bucks.

[quote name='Rasen']I fail to see how the "Borders, Blockbusters, Strawberries and FYE's of the world" are raping people with their pricing, when they just sell books at MSRP. And while I can't speak for the other stores, Borders regularly sells books for less than MSRP, whether through a coupon or a special offer. And with those 33-40% coupons, their prices are comparable to Amazon's.[/QUOTE]

I don't have problems with Borders book pricing. But why in the hell do they even bother selling movies and music? Their pricing on that stuff is plain stupid. Yes, you can argue that they also price those items at msrp. But nobody else does. You can't just put stuff up for sale and hope for the best. You also have to look at the market your selling in. Unlike books, movies and music rarely sell at list price. Especially if it's older stuff. Borders could have saved all kinds of money (stocking stuff that doesn't sell, saving rent by having smaller stores, less sales people needed to cover the movie and music section, etc) by staying out of a market they had no business being in.

Regarding FYE. My local store has great prices on most of their music. Now I only get DVD/BD's from them when their on sale. Their tv sets are stupidly at list price and I never buy them at regular price. But FYE does have plenty of sales during the year. Something Borders rarely has for those items.

The few instances I actually want something to buy there, employees tell me its not in-stock and they can order it online for me, to be sent to my house.
If I wanted that, I would have just ordered it on amazon!

FYE is a terrible store. So so so expensive... CDs that run 7.99 at Best Buy are twice that at FYE. I'll happily wave bye bye at their sinking ship.

[quote name='mogamer']I don't have problems with Borders book pricing. But why in the hell do they even bother selling movies and music? Their pricing on that stuff is plain stupid. Yes, you can argue that they also price those items at msrp. But nobody else does. You can't just put stuff up for sale and hope for the best. You also have to look at the market your selling in. Unlike books, movies and music rarely sell at list price. Especially if it's older stuff. Borders could have saved all kinds of money (stocking stuff that doesn't sell, saving rent by having smaller stores, less sales people needed to cover the movie and music section, etc) by staying out of a market they had no business being in.

Regarding FYE. My local store has great prices on most of their music. Now I only get DVD/BD's from them when their on sale. Their tv sets are stupidly at list price and I never buy them at regular price. But FYE does have plenty of sales during the year. Something Borders rarely has for those items.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm saying. Movies and CDs at MSRP??? Who pays that? To say I'm an avid music collector is an understatement, yet to charge $16 for something I could get half the price elseware is just... just... stupid.

MSRP is too high. Their coupons tend to bring the prices close to amazon range, which is what they should be at to begin with. They immediately and probably permanently lose any customers who think to go look for a Half Price Books (or any used bookstore), ebay, or Amazon.com. They weren't on top of their shit, as far as adjusting business models goes, and are now getting jumped by a market that has been growing in plain sight for years. Even Barnes and Noble put their foot in by releasing the Nook.

it's gotta be tough dealing with all that overhead. I don't know about you guys but every Borders store I've seen has a prime location with a huge storefront, sometimes two floors, the Cafe, and a ton of employees. Sadly enough, this kind of thing is ridiculously impractical these days for a media store.

I have a feeling there won't be nearly as many retail stores around in the future. Which could be a wonderful thing, if all that real estate was used for something other than stores.

Hmm, doesn't seem to be a full list. The one on Peachtree St in Atlanta (Brookwood Place shopping center) doesn't seem to be listed and they have going out of business sale signs all over the place.

Weird..checked the AJC newspaper website, and that one isn't listed as closing there either. Maybe it was just going out of business on it's own rather than a forced closing from the bankruptcy since the signs have been up for a while.

Man... Pretty much all of the Borders close to me are closing. If I read it right, all but 3 stores in AZ are closing. As much as I like Amazon, there's something to be said for going and browsing through a bookstore.

I'm not even joking when I say a Toys R Us is sandwiched between a Borders and Barnes & Noble where I live.

Yeah, I did like browsing them, but the other location that's only a mile or so further away (turns out that's another Borders rather than a B&N like I thought) is staying open for now.

Though they probably hate me as I usually just browse for ideas for things to read on my Kindle, and if I have it with me I'll send myself samples of books that interested me right there! :D I just have no interest in buying paper books of novels I'll read once and never touch again.

Damn. The Borders near me is closing. That leaves Barnes and Noble and Books a Million as my only alternatives, and they don't give nearly as good coupons.

One store is closing, and I'll miss it since it's pretty close to my school and next to the movie theatre.
Sure the coupons only took off MSRP, but they still lead to better deals than Barnes and Noble.

The one in Anchorage is closing. Shame, really. It was a nice big store with two levels. Had a very large jazz cd section (which is rare in any music store). Their book prices weren't great at all.
Although sometimes they had some great kids books on clearance. Same with the CD area.

Havent been to the Anchorage one in 4 years or so, it used to make for some nice Saturday date nights.

3 stores in my area are closing.

The two I like best in the area are not on the list so thats good.

I do usually hit Barnes and Noble before I go to a Borders anyway, so no biggie.

Hmm, looks like the store I like to hang out in has dodged the bullet for now. Thank goodness. I'd miss sitting in those comfy chairs in the cafe while reading magazines I wouldn't pay for.

Yup, a LOT of what you would think to be prime market locations in Cali are closing...obviously the sales numbers just haven't been good at all.

Century City mall, Howard Hughes Center, Glendale, the San Fran locations etc. Looks like 34 or 35 locations in CA closing. Are the stores on the list doing liquidation sales? Anyone seen any major sales/clearances at Century City, Howard Hughes, or Glendale stores?

The one where I grew up isn't closing, probably because there is no B&N nearby and did pretty good business. All the ones nearby where I currently am are closing though, but they weren't close enough for me to go to anyway considering there is a B&N extremely close to me.

fucking hell. The Freehold, NJ store is closing. The East Brunswick, NJ one closed three years ago, and it pissed me off so much. I used to go there all the time. Then I started going to the Freehold one but not as much because it's much farther away. Now all I've got left is shitass Barnes and Noble. This sucks.

I'm sure some of the ones that are closing were high-rent stores or stores they couldn't negotiate cheaper/lower rent. The rest are likely to be low-performing stores.

There's also 75 more stores that they might close, depending on rent negotiations with the respective landlords.

I'd bet that they'll probably ship the inventory back to other stores and back to Borders.com rather than clearance it out.

There's three stores out here that are closing, though they're ones I'd expect to close if I had to pick three of them that had to go.

Yea Shrike has a point...wouldn't be surprised if they shipped everything back to the main warehouse. If they keep the coupons for online orders, I am sure they will keep some sort of business going long after they close their stores down.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hmm, doesn't seem to be a full list. The one on Peachtree St in Atlanta (Brookwood Place shopping center) doesn't seem to be listed and they have going out of business sale signs all over the place.

Weird..checked the AJC newspaper website, and that one isn't listed as closing there either. Maybe it was just going out of business on it's own rather than a forced closing from the bankruptcy since the signs have been up for a while.[/QUOTE]

I believe this list is only new closings, and those stores wouldn't have started liquidating yet. They'll probably start sometime around this weekend. Any store that was already in the process of liquidating/closing prior to now probably isn't on the list.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd bet that they'll probably ship the inventory back to other stores and back to Borders.com rather than clearance it out.[/QUOTE]

It will likely depend on whether Borders handles the liquidation themselves, or hands the locations over to a liquidation company.

If they handle it themselves, I would expect they'll probably do what FYE did when they closed a bunch of stores about a year ago. They "clearanced" things somewhat, marking them down by mostly around 30% or so (some of the items that they really just wanted to be rid of went lower, but many of the more popular items didn't make it any further than that). Whatever they couldn't sell at that point got shipped off to other stores, to rot on their shelves instead (because really, if people weren't buying it at 30% off at one store, what makes them think they're going to buy it at full price at another?).

If a liquidation company does it, they'll probably clear everything out until it's gone. On the positive side, they won't be able to jack the prices up to start the way they tend to when liquidating other stores, since everything is pretty much full price already.

I'll just throw this out there again, even though I got called "alarmist" in another thread for saying it, but if you've got any Borders gift cards sitting around, use them now. Two reasons:

1. Obviously, if you're in an area where all of your local stores are closing, you probably won't have easy access to a store once they're gone. Also, many stores stop accepting gift cards in locations where they're liquidating. You might want to call them to find out one way or the other what they'll be doing (though they might not even know yet), but the safest thing to do would be to use them before the liquidation starts (although obviously if you can wait for it, you'll benefit from doing so).

2. Even if your stores are still going to be around, though -- As part of their bankruptcy plan, Borders may be told that they're not allowed to honor gift cards until and unless their other debts are paid off. As far as the bankruptcy court is concerned, gift cards are just another debt among many, and other debts may be given priority (given that other creditors are owed large sums of money, while most individual gift card holders are only owed relatively small amounts). It's not certain that this will be the case (it will depend upon the plan they settle on), but it is a real possibility, and if and when it happens there will be no warning. If you're left sitting on a gift card when that happens, you'll be out of luck.

they've hired a liquidation company-Hilco Trading LLC, so I a lot of the inventory will be sold. Keep in mind this a chapter 11, so their intent is to survive, or have a "rebirth" as their lawyer puts it. They have secured a decent amount of bankruptcy financing from GE. Liquidation sales are usually really bad at first though, they raise everything to retail and take 10-20 percent off and gradually increase the discount. By the time the prices are good, most the desirable stuff is gone. I think liquidation sales often attempt to profit off of the perception that there must be an amazing deal, when in actuality there is not- at least at first.

As far as gift cards. I wouldn't chance it my self. I recall a ton of people getting burned when Sharper Image went under. But, since its a chapter 11, It would be very surprising for the judge to not allow them to continue to honor gift cards. A judge should want to keep the customers happy in hopes of Borders survival, which is in the best interest of all their creditors. Some companies do survive chapter 11. I wouldn't bet on borders though, at least their physical stores.

Jesus, not a single Borders near me is staying in business. All four in my area are on the list and these are BIG stores, not express stores.

My wife and I prefer Borders exponentially over Barnes and Noble, it's a shame to see them go. Hopefully I'll get some good deals on board games out of this, though.

argh... so we may see the end of the 40% coupons after all.. Liquidators won't allow coupons at the closing stores. Caltab where did you read the name of the liquidation company?

My girlfriend got an email to Borders Rewards members with some info in it. For some reason they sent it embedded in an image file, so I can't just quote the text. I put the link under the spoiler tag instead . . .

reorgRewardEmail_03.jpg

So, "business as usual", they'd like us to think, except for, oh, those 200 stores that are closing. Huh. Note that it does say that they are still accepting gift cards (for now, anyway -- I still wouldn't buy any new ones or sit on any that I had for long).

Yea I got that email too. I wonder if there was a general meeting yesterday with the employees about the situation.

[quote name='Chuplayer']fucking hell. The Freehold, NJ store is closing. The East Brunswick, NJ one closed three years ago, and it pissed me off so much. I used to go there all the time. Then I started going to the Freehold one but not as much because it's much farther away. Now all I've got left is shitass Barnes and Noble. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Oh, never knew about one in e brunswick. That would've been nice if they were around still. The barnes and nobles isn't too bad. The coupon frequency suck ass though.
OP, thanks for the list. My borders is still okay.

Hey guys, I found out like months ago that the 40% coupons work at the cafe. Get a coffee and the price is almost acceptable. Something like $2.xx for special coffee drink. I do it ALL the time when I go to use the coupons.

bread's done
Back