The End of Borders Bookstore: It's now over :_(

All the borders in my side of the state are staying open. Doesn't surprise me though really, as the local one to here is in the biggest upscale shopping centers in the local area, and always busy. I only go in there cause the wife uses it as a good way to check out graphic novels and books before we buy them on amazon.

Wow they are closing the Borders on K Street?? I use to stop there all the time on my way to the dentist. That was the only decent Borders I've ever been in.

Looks like many of the ones in Ohio are closing up, including the one just down the street from me. It was usually dead anyway with their high prices and the fact that there was a B&N right across the street from the store. I might check it out once they get to 30% off.

Both stores are usually high priced anyways, with most discounts targeted at best sellers, but if you want a discount on a computer book, forget about it, unless a coupon was available.

Both stores within 5 miles of me are getting the axe which isn't a huge surprise they have been empty most of the time i've visited.

The one closest to me is closing. I've only been in it twice. Bought my copies of Phoenix Wright manga from them. I was going to pick up the Phoenix Wright art book, but lost interest over time.

Kind of wish they wouldn't go since there aren't any bookstores close to my house anymore. I guess I'll have to settle with Barnes & Noble now being the only bookstore in my area.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']
Now that they hired an outside company to handle the liquidation, I'm very wary of the sales, since they will start at 20% and jack up prices on the DVDs.
http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprnstory.php?storyid=144734[/QUOTE]

Jack up the prices on DVD's? How can they do that? 90% of their stock is already priced at msrp. 20% off of msrp will just bring the prices down to Target and Best Buy's regular prices.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Oh, never knew about one in e brunswick. That would've been nice if they were around still. The barnes and nobles isn't too bad. The coupon frequency suck ass though.[/QUOTE]

The coupon frequency (or lack thereof) is one of the big reasons why I don't like B&N nearly as much as I liked Borders. I was a CAG for books well before I joined here, and Borders's free store card membership thing whooped anything B&N ever offered. Constant coupons. For a year or two they had a really, really good money back program, too. Then it became just okay, but at least the coupons stayed.

I find the East Brunswick B&N to have a less impressive inventory than any Borders I've ever been in.

But, yeah. I was a major regular at the East Brunswick Borders store. I read so much back then. Thanks to all the awesome coupons, I would buy all sorts of books that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. It kicked ass.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Re:ITDEFX A Borders coupon is always available. :lol:

Now that they hired an outside company to handle the liquidation, I'm very wary of the sales, since they will start at 20% and jack up prices on the DVDs.
http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprnstory.php?storyid=144734[/QUOTE]

LOL how bad can it get? People already know Borders sells stuff at MSRP. A lot of stuff will still be around until the 40-50 percent mark.

[quote name='KillerRamen']My favorite Borders is closing. :cry:

...On the plus side, maybe I can get some cheap books and 3D Blu-Rays! :whee:[/QUOTE]

Maybe..when it hits 40-50 percent.

I actually like Borders a lot. Their regular 30 - 40% off coupons made their prices come down to Amazon levels on most books, and their selection of books was always much better than B&N. I would frequently find old or obscure books, especially comic TPB's on their shelves, while B&N would almost never stock anything more then a year old, and their books were frequently in lousy condition.

As far as liquidation goes, I would avoid it until everything is at least 50% off. Anything less than that isn't a bargain at all.

damn, that's a lot of Borders closing shop in California. Luckily, there will still be one left within 15 minutes of me, so I won't be completely out of options, but I'm still bummed that the one on Santana Row is closing (not that I'm entirely surprised, given the rent values in that location, but still bummed nonetheless).

Just got this in an email this morning with Friendship heights DC Location is closing...people should have similar emails
[IMG-C=6968]21019[/IMG-C]

wow so Borders bucks and the extra 10% is still in effect for the closing stores. It *may* be worth checking out after all!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just got this in an email this morning with Friendship heights DC Location is closing...people should have similar emails
[IMG-C=6968]21019[/IMG-C]

wow so Borders bucks and the extra 10% is still in effect for the closing stores. It *may* be worth checking out after all![/QUOTE]

Heh, I got that email too, even though I think I've been in that store once ever. Odd that they sent me an email for that one, and not for Tysons Corner where I shop much more regularly. I wonder if the other local stores haven't started yet, or if that's our blanket DC-area announcement.

I'm both surprised and not surprised to see the Tysons Corner store going. On the one hand, that's a big business area which has seemed to continue to do well even through the worst of the recession. On the other, the Borders there has just about the dumbest, most inaccessible location possible. They'd have probably done a lot better in Tysons if they'd have just moved the store somewhere else.

To bad the one near me is closing. =\

There is one 2hours away still open, but don't go in that area often.

I liked borders more than B&N one near me had decent selection in books compared to them..

Ah well I'll check for deals might get lucky there's always online places..

I checked out a store near me yesterday that was closing out of sheer curiosity. The line for the register went all the way to the back of the store and continued spiralling around. All for a bunch of crappy books at 20% off. :roll: No matter how many store closings I go to it still amazes me what sheep people can be.

The stock of manga and graphic novels was basically untouched though so I'll be going back.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I checked out a store near me yesterday that was closing out of sheer curiosity. The line for the register went all the way to the back of the store and continued spiralling around. All for a bunch of crappy books at 20% off. :roll: No matter how many store closings I go to it still amazes me what sheep people can be.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its always the perceived "savings" that draws people to store closing sales as much as the perceived "bragging rights" of saying they got this and that during the closing sale.

are there any expectations of the closing sale going beyond 20%? I feel really bad for the Borders that are closing, but even at 20% I can find most of the stuff I'm looking for cheaper on Amazon.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']are there any expectations of the closing sale going beyond 20%? I feel really bad for the Borders that are closing, but even at 20% I can find most of the stuff I'm looking for cheaper on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping things will drop down to 40% off everything as we went last night and the ONLY stuff in the store that was 40% off was magazines. And I understand they are time sensitive so they want to sell them fast and all that, but come on. Give me 40% off books and I will definitely pick up a few.

[quote name='Kirbith']I'm hoping things will drop down to 40% off everything as we went last night and the ONLY stuff in the store that was 40% off was magazines. And I understand they are time sensitive so they want to sell them fast and all that, but come on. Give me 40% off books and I will definitely pick up a few.[/QUOTE]

At 20% off, prices on most items are still more expensive than Amazon. At 40% off, prices are equal to Amazon, but no better than the weekly coupons they Borders would e-mail. You need to wait for 60% off and up before you'll find better bargains, and even then, it still won't come close to the price you'd pay for most books used on Amazon.

i hit borders monday
got a couple magazines that were 40% off
a book for $6- The Prodigal Mage by Karen Miller
and saw 2 guides one for AC:Brotherhood and COD: Black ops
got the Brotherhood for $12

I stopped by one of the area stores thats closing today, and as I figured, the sales were non-existant. Based on the cover price of the books I surveyed, 20% off still puts the price between $5 to $7 above the average selling price on Amazon. I just don't understand how people go into these places and think they are getting a deal. The deals don't exist until you are at least in the 60-80% off range, and by then, there's nothing left anyone would want to buy.

I sort of regret for not signing up for Border Rewards Plus earlier so I could get the $10 back, and increase the discount to 30%, allowing me to buy the books I wanted.
Man, people are really stupid for choosing a 11.15% discount, despite the six years of very generous coupons.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I sort of regret for not signing up for Border Rewards Plus earlier so I could get the $10 back, and increase the discount to 30%, allowing me to buy the books I wanted.
Man, people are really stupid for choosing a 11.15% discount, despite the six years of very generous coupons.[/QUOTE]

Borders has been sending me 30 and 40% off coupons for years, by the time the discounts reach that level, there will be nothing left, so what's the point? I could take my coupon to a store that is staying open and make out better than I could at one of these liquidation "sales".

The Borders closest to me just went to the next step in their closing sale: from 20% most items to 25% off! (OMG, what amazing leap in savings!

I was at the tyson's corner area one yesterday. Man that place is a train wreck. Still lots of good stuff but not great prices.

I will check it out in a few weeks since I have to work in that area at the end of the month and I could kill some time :D

[quote name='ITDEFX']I was at the tyson's corner area one yesterday. Man that place is a train wreck. Still lots of good stuff but not great prices.[/QUOTE]

heh, thanks for the info. I was thinking of going over there and checking it out today, but based on that I think I'll just wait another week or two.

Just to make a point out of what a joke the liquidation sales are, I got a coupon over the weekend for 40% off any one item at Borders, and stopped at the one that is staying open which is on the way home from work. Picked up the Pokemon White strategy guide for $12.71. It was a dollar more than Amazon would have been with free shipping, but still a great deal for a B&M store without having to wait a day for shipping. Now compare this with the 20% off "sale" at the Borders that are closing....

[quote name='spmahn']Just to make a point out of what a joke the liquidation sales are, I got a coupon over the weekend for 40% off any one item at Borders, and stopped at the one that is staying open which is on the way home from work. Picked up the Pokemon White strategy guide for $12.71. It was a dollar more than Amazon would have been with free shipping, but still a great deal for a B&M store without having to wait a day for shipping. Now compare this with the 20% off "sale" at the Borders that are closing....[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing when I got that coupon. I meant to stop into one of the local stores that's staying open yesterday to use it, but since it was Sunday the store closed at 8pm and I wasn't able to make it in time. Oh well.

The only deal I found was 50% off all magazines. Useful for me since those regular Borders coupons always excluded them and I could never find any deals for UK-based magazines.

The only "Magazine" I pick up from either Borders or BN is Cinefex....unfortunately the tron issue is still up and not the newest issue :(

Finally went to a closing Borders today, and was disappointed. Looked around for a while, found a book and then went to check out.

Cashier: Just to let you know, all sales are final.
Me: Okay.
Cashier: And I'll be putting a mark on the barcode.
Me: Uh...no.

What the hell? The discounts aren't that great, and I'm sure not going to buy a book you damaged. Left empty handed.

[quote name='rainking187']Finally went to a closing Borders today, and was disappointed. Looked around for a while, found a book and then went to check out.

What the hell? The discounts aren't that great, and I'm sure not going to buy a book you damaged. Left empty handed.[/QUOTE]

So why didn't you ask for a manager and request them NOT to mark the book? Stand up for yourself instead of walking away.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So why didn't you ask for a manager and request them NOT to mark the book? Stand up for yourself instead of walking away.[/QUOTE]

Presumably the manager told them to do it, and/or the order came down from higher up? I don't know . . . I have yet to go to any of the closing stores here (the deals have yet to be good enough to be worth the effort -- I can still do better in the non-closing stores with a coupon on most items!) so I don't know what they're doing, but if I were told that (especially when the deals aren't so great anyway), I'd have walked out too.

I'm curious whether they're trying to do something similar with CDs and DVDs/blu-rays. I can just see the cashier pulling a power drill out form behind the register and saying that they have to drill the barcode or something! :lol:

[quote name='rainking187']Finally went to a closing Borders today, and was disappointed. Looked around for a while, found a book and then went to check out.

What the hell? The discounts aren't that great, and I'm sure not going to buy a book you damaged. Left empty handed.[/QUOTE]

Big fucking deal. They marked the barcode. I'm not seeing why you threw a tantrum. It probably has something to do with Borders website or something continuing business and fraudulent complaints. It's not like they fucking scribbled out the title on the front cover with a black permanent marker or something. Jesus.... some people

On another less whinging note, #273 if only a few miles away from where I grew up

Lucky that I went today when everything started at 40% off. I managed to get two Chandler books and the Brilliant Book of Doctor Who. Everything in the store was a freakin' mess and the company that handles these liquidations should be kicked in the shins.

i hit up my borders and left with nothing. the shelves were probably about 40-50 percent empty and there was pretty much nothing in the store that was cheaper than Amazon. I wanted to get my kids some books, but all they had left were extremely damaged copies that looked worse then a library book that has been in circulation for years and they were pretty much the same price as amazon.

Anyone been to the Tyson's Corner area one? Haven't been there in weeks, thought about swinging by this weekend or next week.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Big fucking deal. They marked the barcode. I'm not seeing why you threw a tantrum. It probably has something to do with Borders website or something continuing business and fraudulent complaints. It's not like they fucking scribbled out the title on the front cover with a black permanent marker or something. Jesus.... some people

On another less whinging note, #273 if only a few miles away from where I grew up[/QUOTE]

Yeah, telling them I didn't want to buy it if they were going to mark it, what a tantrum. I'd rather pay the extra $1.80 (that's basically how much the discount was) and get it from Amazon. And marking the book is marking the book, I don't see much of a difference between the barcode and the title, I wouldn't buy it either way.

Yea if they just mark the barcode then that's fine. If they put some stupid sticker shit on the front cover or on the inside then fuck them.

They mark the barcode to prevent you from trying to run a return scam at a Borders that is remaining open. The Barcode marker however can easily be removed which a small amount of Vandalism Remover that is available at any hardware store, or even nail polish remover.

Just got an ad in my email that says that prices have been cut to "40-60% off". Might finally be worth going at this point. I wonder if there will be anything left worth buying, though.

And there's an additional 10% off as well, saving on sales tax. Shame I bought all the books I wanted last week. Unless I'm picking up some Stephen King novels.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']And there's an additional 10% off as well, saving on sales tax. Shame I bought all the books I wanted last week. Unless I'm picking up some Stephen King novels.[/QUOTE]

The additional 10% off is only for Borders Rewards Plus members (the regular member discount).

[quote name='arcane93']Just got an ad in my email that says that prices have been cut to "40-60% off". Might finally be worth going at this point. I wonder if there will be anything left worth buying, though.[/QUOTE]Seeing what was picked clean at the first discount level, I doubt anything good is still left over.

Might be worth one trip just to see what's survived this long.

bread's done
Back