How Many CAGs Own Firearms/Guns?

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just out of curiosity, how many CAGs here own Guns?

Living in California makes it rather difficult to get certain types of firearms personally. Since I started buying firearms, video games seem cheaper and cheaper....................

75379_454056514141_533879141_5616761_801947_n.jpg

150292_454056564141_533879141_5616764_3088098_n.jpg

74162_454056604141_533879141_5616765_8339387_n.jpg

Building this AR alone set me back $1500+ and that's pretty avg as far as black rifles go

None yet but I've always had a good time going to the range. I've fired maybe 12-15 different pistols and I tend to like the revolvers a bit better but my first would probably be a Glock 19(?). I got acquainted to the one my brother owns and for the sake of target practice it's a bit more practical.

I was thinking about posting this exact same thread yesterday as I'll be purchasing my first firearm this weekend.

I'm torn between the Smith & Wesson M&P compact .40 and the Glock 23 (also compact .40).

None. I'm not anti-gun per se as I grew up hunting etc. Just see no need to own one living in a city. I live in a very secure high rise building in a safe area, so no need for home defense. And I don't believe in concealed weapons for personal defense (though support people having the right to have them).

None. I personally feel people shouldn't have guns for anything other than to hunt i.e. only hunting rifles. The portion in the amendments was used back in the day so you could protect yourself from invaders and indians. Nowadays we dont have those problems.

[quote name='lordopus99']None. I personally feel people shouldn't have guns for anything other than to hunt i.e. only hunting rifles. The portion in the amendments was used back in the day so you could protect yourself from invaders and indians. Nowadays we dont have those problems.[/QUOTE]
This has got to be a troll response.

I'd personally like to have a tactical shotgun for home defense and possibly a revolver; basically weapons that do not need a lot of maintenance, both my wife and I can operate and will still fire after being responsibly stored for sometime.
Nothing says "leave us alone" like the sound of shotgun round being chambered.
I've always toyed with the idea of buying a weapon but knew it was an expensive hobby.
However, having a child makes you want to protect them anyway you can.

That AR is very slick looking btw Zoglog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple Walther handguns. PPKS, P22 and P99. I use to go to the range once or twice a week but I just can't find the time anymore.

Speaking of guns, anyone watch that reality show Top Shot? A friend turned me on to it halfway through last season. I would love to do some of the events in the show.

[quote name='Vader582']This has got to be a troll response.

I'd personally like to have a tactical shotgun for home defense and possibly a revolver. Basically weapons that do not need a lot of maintenance, both my wife and I can operate and will still fire after being unattended for sometime.
Nothing says "leave us alone" like the sound of shotgun round being chambered.[/QUOTE]

It is not. I was a victim of armed robbery on the street. If we had stricker laws, crime like that would reduce dramatically. There is no need for the people to really have guns outside of hunting purposes. Just my personal feeling which aligns with alot of people. The 2nd Amendment is constantly fought over. Again, not trying to be a "troll"

[quote name='BillyBob29']I've got a couple Walther handguns. PPKS, P22 and P99. I use to go to the range once or twice a week but I just can't find the time anymore.

Speaking of guns, anyone watch that reality show Top Shot? A friend turned me on to it halfway through last season. I would love to do some of the events in the show.[/QUOTE]

I watched all of season one, but none of season two. Unless they changed up the format, I won't. The problem in season one was that the first person or team to go in the competition got screwed. They had to figure out how the event worked while the other team or people watched. That gave everyone after the first person a huge advantage.

[quote name='lordopus99']It is not. I was a victim of armed robbery on the street. If we had stricker laws, crime like that would reduce dramatically. There is no need for the people to really have guns outside of hunting purposes. Just my personal feeling which aligns with alot of people. The 2nd Amendment is constantly fought over. Again, not trying to be a "troll"[/QUOTE]
I am truly sorry that you were the victim of an armed robbery.
However changing the laws only harms those who abide by the law.
Criminals will still find ways to obtain weapons. Gun laws only end up leaving law-abiding citizens unarmed.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Nothing yet, but I have my eye on a Remington 870 Express Tactical for home protection.[/QUOTE]

Same here. That or a Mossberg 500 to keep the house nice and quiet.
Hopefully I'll get mine soon.

My Dad has plenty, but they don't let me have guns.

I'm not a hunter, and don't live in the hood, so there's no need for them. I'm smart enough to stay out of trouble.

It'll be a bitch selling them when my Dad passes away, because CL or the paper don't sell them, amirite?

[quote name='Vader582']I am truly sorry that you were the victim of an armed robbery.
However changing the laws only harms those who abide by the law.
Criminals will still find ways to obtain weapons. Gun laws only end up leaving law-abiding citizens unarmed.[/QUOTE]

Mostly true.

I will say as a person who studies crime for a living and a person who's also been a victim of an armed robbery, that having a concealed weapon does little good in preventing an armed robbery and that most where victims are shot it comes from them resisting rather than just giving up their property.

Most of the time they surprise you so you have no chance of pulling your gun and preventing them--and most are late at night when victims are tired, drunk etc. and thus easier to surprise. So there's not much more you can do other than shoot them in the back when fleeing--and do that and you risk a manslaughter charge since you're not longer in danger. Though those laws (and their enforcement, how juries treat them etc.) vary by states.

But again, I'm not anti-gun. People can have them and have concealed permits if they want. I just don't buy the defense argument (in public--home defense sure) based on experience and knowledge of street crime.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Nothing yet, but I have my eye on a Remington 870 Express Tactical for home protection.[/QUOTE]

That's actually the first firearm I bought about 6 months ago. It's a great shotgun. I bought a 28" Barrel for it and take it to shoo skeet which is a blast. Also I recommend getting the knoxx recoil stock for it.
Here's my current Home Defense setup for it.

180440_10150092087054142_533879141_6383209_7272702_n.jpg

In the short span of 6 months I've accumulated way too much.

I started with the XD-9 handgun, then decided to jump and buy a P220 and Springfield 1911 MC Operator for .45

Then .45 was so expensive I felt I needed something cheaper to shoot so I bought a Ruger Mark III Hunter to shoot .22

And Then of course a stupid Zombie AR chance comes a long so I get into that (Black rifles are ridiculously expensive). Eotech + Magnifier set is nearly $1000 alone.

Recently I had to jump through some hoops to pick up an XDm (Off roster pistol for California) and got a P226 Homeland Security Package.

I'm pretty liberal and I find gun people to be pretty crazy sometimes (usually extremely religious right wingers who are incredibly paranoid). However, like with most things, the truth is somewhere down the middle. Statistically wise you will probably never need a home defense weapon. However if you ever do need it, I would rather have it than not. And unless you abolish firearms from all areas of the world, in this globalized world, criminals will always get their hands on firearms.

Also I used to only think of guns as hunting tools, and remember that argument of why anyone would need anything beyond what was necessary for hunting. That argument is pretty much moot because guns are a hobby. It's not about practicality.

Zog, how do you like that pistol grip? I tried it on the Mossberg 500 and couldn't imagine firing off more than 1 shot like that...

[quote name='Zoglog'] And unless you abolish firearms from all areas of the world, in this globalized world, criminals will always get their hands on firearms. [/QUOTE]

Yes, criminals will attempt/get their hands on them. Being that they will be harder to obtain, you would have less wannabe thugs from low income areas who can't afford to then buy that product; things that are illegal always are sold for a premium. Less people owning = less gun committed crimes. Countries with gun laws/restrictions such as Japan and Canada have way less crime (by miles) that are committed from guns. It worked for them why can't it work for us or any other country similiar to us... just stating.

Also I used to only think of guns as hunting tools, and remember that argument of why anyone would need anything beyond what was necessary for hunting. That argument is pretty much moot because guns are a hobby. It's not about practicality.

For you, it sounds like that but for others alot use them for practicality and sport, whether good (hunting, skeet shooting, etc) or bad (robbery, shooting someone, etc). There are still a good chunk of people worldwide who live off the land.

One gun for home protection. Ruger P90 .45. I've thought about switching it out or adding a 12 gauge shotgun. I did lot's of hunting with a shotgun growing up and am more confortable with that weapon.

The best thing I've got though is a great dog who alerts me when there are any strange noises or someone comes to the door. His bark along with his looks are enough to deter most would be criminals. Also on each side of my house live retired people who are home almost all the time. One of the neighbors has two kids that are cops and they stop by all the time.

I've also been considering getting a CCW License as I leave my business alone pretty much every night in an area that there aren't really any other people around. I make sure to take a good look around and my dog is with me most nights, but being robbed has crossed my mind many times. I'm the type of person who would give up anything they wanted no problem, but people will kill you for nothing these days.

You know these weapons are of little use if you're not home right? Then they're stolen and used elsewhere, so there's more to the argument of keeping them at home. Not to mention most shootings are accidental when it's not locked properly.

I have a 12 gauge pump Mossberg(home defense-duck hunting gun), I have been thinking of getting a 40 cal semi-auto for a while, but have been holding off because I am thinking of just saving that cash and using towards the S&W 500. Now that gun is a beast. :D Also, about the guns getting stolen comment, that does happen frequently so if you are a collector BUY A SAFE! My friends boss in Madison has so many guns(in gun safes) that the Madison police department asked if he would turn over all his firing pins to them and then be able to pick them up at anytime he wants to use them. The dude has the best long range rifles that they make and also made a 6 gun AK-47 gatling gun, which is awesome!!! It is on a rotating crank handle incase anybody is wondering how he did it.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Zog, how do you like that pistol grip? I tried it on the Mossberg 500 and couldn't imagine firing off more than 1 shot like that...[/QUOTE]

The pistolgrip I have is the blackhawk knoxx pistol grip stock. It absorbs recoil. It's actually a significant improvement over a normal stock. I can shoot high velocity slugs and 00 buck with virtually no impact on my shoulder.

[quote name='lordopus99']Yes, criminals will attempt/get their hands on them. Being that they will be harder to obtain, you would have less wannabe thugs from low income areas who can't afford to then buy that product; things that are illegal always are sold for a premium. Less people owning = less gun committed crimes. Countries with gun laws/restrictions such as Japan and Canada have way less crime (by miles) that are committed from guns. It worked for them why can't it work for us or any other country similar to us... just stating.

For you, it sounds like that but for others a lot use them for practicality and sport, whether good (hunting, skeet shooting, etc) or bad (robbery, shooting someone, etc). There are still a good chunk of people worldwide who live off the land.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are also laws where gun control has failed for various reasons (Australia & Mexico as examples). Unless you can ban firearms from the world (much less all states.... good luck with that). Gun control is not effective, so it's not a realistic solution in my mind.

I never said using guns for hunting is a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not the only reason people own firearms which anti-gun people often use as a reason for banning certain types of firearms.

[quote name='2DMention']My Dad has plenty, but they don't let me have guns.

I'm not a hunter, and don't live in the hood, so there's no need for them. I'm smart enough to stay out of trouble.

It'll be a bitch selling them when my Dad passes away, because CL or the paper don't sell them, amirite?[/QUOTE]

I believe your estate will handle that. There are various ways to sell your firearms via Private Party Transfer through an FFL
More than likely guns retain relatively good value in comparison to video games ;)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Mostly true.

I will say as a person who studies crime for a living and a person who's also been a victim of an armed robbery, that having a concealed weapon does little good in preventing an armed robbery and that most where victims are shot it comes from them resisting rather than just giving up their property.

Most of the time they surprise you so you have no chance of pulling your gun and preventing them--and most are late at night when victims are tired, drunk etc. and thus easier to surprise. So there's not much more you can do other than shoot them in the back when fleeing--and do that and you risk a manslaughter charge since you're not longer in danger. Though those laws (and their enforcement, how juries treat them etc.) vary by states.

But again, I'm not anti-gun. People can have them and have concealed permits if they want. I just don't buy the defense argument (in public--home defense sure) based on experience and knowledge of street crime.[/QUOTE]

you're def right for most street robberies. I see too many people on gun forums claiming to be super jack bauer. In all honesty in most cases if you're open carrying they'll steal your gun too ;). And after they've robbed you if they didn't get your CCW weapon you can't chase after them with your gun. you're asking for a world of trouble if you do.

The instances where it can help are if someone is actively targeting your life (either at random or directly). Note that I said "can" ;)

[quote name='TC']I'm the type of person who would give up anything they wanted no problem, but people will kill you for nothing these days.[/QUOTE]

It happens, but VERY, VERY rare. Again, I study crime for a living.

Random murders are extraordinarily rare. Shootings in robberies are extraordinarily rare, and the majority of those rare one's are victim precipitated from the victim trying to resist rather than just handing over property.

Home defense is a different issue since home invasions (though again very rare) tend to be more violent.

I have many firearms mostly rifles and shot guns for deer hunting; though I do have a few handguns. Although I do have a concealed weapon permit my state is open carry so your free to openly display your hand gun without needing any sort of permit if you wish. Sometimes this results in encounters with law enforcement that don't know the state laws lol. There's actually groups who organize open carry days and pick up trash on roads, clean up community areas, etc to raise awareness of our rights under state law and show people most gun owners are responsible people.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It happens, but VERY, VERY rare. Again, I study crime for a living.

Random murders are extraordinarily rare. Shootings in robberies are extraordinarily rare, and the majority of those rare one's are victim precipitated from the victim trying to resist rather than just handing over property.

Home defense is a different issue since home invasions (though again very rare) tend to be more violent.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

CC is a whole different subject... Anyone with gun knowledge tells you that you absolutely shoot to kill in any situation that you have to draw on another person and I'm not sure I want that responsibility. Then again, I've never been the victum of a violent crime and my thoughts on that might change if I'm ever in a situation that escalates beyond giving up anything I have/own.

Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, WASR 10 (romanian ak47), Kel tec P3at freedom edition, Taurus PT 24/7 pro, Taurus M85, Sig P250 Compact. Waiting on my FFL to recieve my new Ruger Gunsite Scout and a new FN Herstal 17705

[quote name='lordopus99']None. I personally feel people shouldn't have guns for anything other than to hunt i.e. only hunting rifles. The portion in the amendments was used back in the day so you could protect yourself from invaders and indians. Nowadays we dont have those problems.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you read the Federalist Papers and other writings of the Framers of the Constitution, you would see that the Second Amendment was meant to give the people the ability to resist and overthrow a tyrannical government,much as they had just done in overthrowing the rule of the British.

I always wanted to have my own handgun, I live in s.California so I don't know if it would be very difficult to own one here. I just would like a classic peacekeeper or something are saturday night specials illegal?

[quote name='ian1418']Actually, if you read the Federalist Papers and other writings of the Framers of the Constitution, you would see that the Second Amendment was meant to give the people the ability to resist and overthrow a tyrannical government,much as they had just done in overthrowing the rule of the British.[/QUOTE]

Yep. But that's kind of moot today now that the governments have tanks, airplanes, missles, nukes etc. Made sense back when all anyone (including the military) had was rifles and cannons. Now that rationale is outdated since there's no way we want citizens armed with tanks, fighter jets, missiles etc. :D

[quote name='200STM']I always wanted to have my own handgun, I live in s.California so I don't know if it would be very difficult to own one here. I just would like a classic peacekeeper or something are saturday night specials illegal?[/QUOTE]

I live in California, it's not difficult to own a handgun at all. We're just restricted to certain firearms and political whims.

Remington 870 used for trap shooting and hunting.

870_exp_combo.jpg

and a Glock 19 handgun

When we finally open my Dad's gun safe at my sister's house I'll have more.

I have more guns than I need, but fewer guns than I want.

That said, thinking of doing an OLL build sometime in the near future.

I always wanted to have my own handgun, I live in s.California so I don't know if it would be very difficult to own one here. I just would like a classic peacekeeper or something are saturday night specials illegal?
Check out http://www.calguns.net/ (& the forums) for answers to any questions you have on gun laws in California.

It's been awhile since I have bought a handgun but basically;
Go to gunshop
Find gun
Fill out paperwork
Show valid ID (ex: Drivers License)
Show proof of residence (ex:Utility bill with name & current address)
Give thumbprint
Wait for background check
More paperwork
Pay for gun
Go home
Come back in 10- 24hour periods
Pick up gun

Forgot to mention, for handguns, you need to take a test to get a Handgun Saftey Certificate.
Pretty much a multiple choice quiz that shows you know the basics on Cali gun laws and safety.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

GL

I don't have any firearms yet. But I did have to exchange something at Cabella's after work today and spent an hour or so in the hunting section. I'd really like a Desert Eagle (.50 AE), but will more than likely start out with a .22 and/or maybe even a .30-06 with a nice scope.

I have had a couple of retail/service jobs since school (finished just as the economy went to crap) with a bunch of debt that left me barely scraping by for a couple of years. But I sacrificed and got myself into a decent position financially. I just started a fairly decent job this week that will have me paying off the rest of my credit card debt and my car loan in just a couple of months. Then I'll have plenty of disposable income. First I'll be ditching the roommates and getting my own pad, but next will be getting some firearms, a gun safe and a dog. :)

I have several guns but I don't really collect them as a hobby. I hunt and that is my hobby, not gun collecting. I also have some pistols for self-defense, again not a hobby.

No guns atm, probably because my job involves messing with them so much that I'm pretty sick of them during my time off. That said, I'll build an AR-15 someday. It's not really suited to home defense but it's the weapon I'm most familiar with so I figure I can make it work.

[quote name='Zoglog']The pistolgrip I have is the blackhawk knoxx pistol grip stock. It absorbs recoil. It's actually a significant improvement over a normal stock. I can shoot high velocity slugs and 00 buck with virtually no impact on my shoulder.

[/QUOTE]

O'rly. I'll have to look in to that. Anything tricky about the installation?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. But that's kind of moot today now that the governments have tanks, airplanes, missles, nukes etc. Made sense back when all anyone (including the military) had was rifles and cannons. Now that rationale is outdated since there's no way we want citizens armed with tanks, fighter jets, missiles etc. :D[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but we aren't doing so hot in our ground wars in the Middle East.

I inherited a few guns but they are at my mother's house - I'm not sure if I need/want one. My dad hunted and had a couple rifles and a couple pistols for home protection. He sorta went crazy when he got sick (cancer) and I found him in his bedroom with a pistol saying he saw a giant rat (one of my chihuahuas!) Very scary taking a loaded gun away from someone who has gone crazy - even if it is your dad. (then he got paranoid of me and my mom and wife and locked himself in the bedroom and called 911 so we had cops storming our house shortly after) (I know, I know cool story bro - off the topic sorry)

[quote name='bordjon']I inherited a few guns but they are at my mother's house - I'm not sure if I need/want one. My dad hunted and had a couple rifles and a couple pistols for home protection. He sorta went crazy when he got sick (cancer) and I found him in his bedroom with a pistol saying he saw a giant rat (one of my chihuahuas!) Very scary taking a loaded gun away from someone who has gone crazy - even if it is your dad. (then he got paranoid of me and my mom and wife and locked himself in the bedroom and called 911 so we had cops storming our house shortly after) (I know, I know cool story bro - off the topic sorry)[/QUOTE]

As you wish:
cool_story_bro.jpg

[quote name='mtxbass1']O'rly. I'll have to look in to that. Anything tricky about the installation?[/QUOTE]

Nope, very easy to install, All tools included. Only thing you might need is a flathead screwdriver to replace the normal stock.

But I kid you not, it's a night and day difference. Sadly many skeet/trap ranges will not let you use the knoxx stock because they are very traditional and frown upon pistol grip stocks. As an alternative Mesa Tactical sells higher quality recoil absorption pistol grip stocks, but they cost a whole lot more
http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55

Really happy with one of my latest acquisitions, an XDm-9
182401_10150093975994142_533879141_6411201_1915796_n.jpg

179882_10150093016674142_533879141_6395857_4671644_n.jpg

182769_10150093017444142_533879141_6395871_6630836_n.jpg

Was a bit difficult to get since it's not on the CA roster, but there is a single shot exemption method now and out of state vendors willing to mod it to fit the law for FFL transfer. You will have to block the mags though.

Can't wait for the KSG to come out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPliHk1sLkw

This thing is amazing and CA Legal (for now)
Now that I've accumulated enough firearms and bought a house, I think I'm going to invest in a nice safe
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

[quote name='MorPhiend']Given how extremely liberal this forum tends to be, I am REALLY surprised by this thread and the poll. Pleasantly surprised. :)[/QUOTE]

If anything, more Liberals should have guns to balance it out =p

I've always had a big interest in World War II weapons and thankfully last year I got a once in a lifetime chance. I have an uncle out west that sold me a German Luger for a pretty good price. He also told me about how the person that gave it to him stole it from a German officer during the war. The Luger still shoots but I haven't shot it yet and I'm not sure if I ever would.

I have always wanted to get a bolt action WW2 rifle (would shoot). More specifically I've had my eye on a Kar 98. I live relatively close to a gun shop that has a pretty big selection of modern and older weapons. You can get some older bolt action rifles for only a few hundred bucks a piece.

I'd like to eventually have a collection of WW2 guns: Kar 98, Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Springfield, M1 Garand. :twoguns:

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I'll post up a few I have.

P1000471.jpg

P1000933.jpg

P1000924.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1000766.jpg

P1000633.jpg

P1000534.jpg

That's a little less than half of what I own.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I wouldn't mind a M1 Garand soon enough. Gotta get the safe first :)

[quote name='Zoglog']Nice, I wouldn't mind a M1 Garand soon enough. Gotta get the safe first :)[/QUOTE]

Best $700 I've ever spent. Ammo can be a pain to come by though.

bread's done
Back