- - - - -

The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

#7921 Izod   CheepLikeASpoder CAGiversary!   2279 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

store is closing near me. Anything I should look out for or is it like all other store closing in which they jack up the prices to MSRP + 10%, then discount 10%

Another one of my stores just closed. Even at their final day they didn't have a single thing worth getting, game wise. A couple of DECENT BD deals, but games were like $10 off MSRP for used games, and the highest they ever went was 30% off. Anything worth a damn was snatched up at 10-20% off. In most cases the used games were horribly abused and most of them could be found new for the $34.99 they wanted (49.99 after 30 off).

#7922 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2605 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Another one of my stores just closed. Even at their final day they didn't have a single thing worth getting, game wise. A couple of DECENT BD deals, but games were like $10 off MSRP for used games, and the highest they ever went was 30% off. Anything worth a damn was snatched up at 10-20% off. In most cases the used games were horribly abused and most of them could be found new for the $34.99 they wanted (49.99 after 30 off).

Bummer, was really hoping for it tobe like the assessories clearance they had awhile back. Dodades for like pennies on the dollar but oh well, still check it out maybe.

#7923 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Blockbuster said today 164 stores will be closing in addition to the closings they announced a few weeks ago. This will leave them with about 200 stores. Fuck em.

#7924 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10643 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

my blockbuster is getting nuked as we speak. they have 20% off all games which is lame. of course the casuals snatched up the good stuff and the only good ps3 game left is persona 4 arena. ill see if i can wait it out to find stuff to trade in to gamestop and hope persona drops hard but other than that its just movie hunting for me. bye blockbuster :(
Currently playing
:ps4: fez, strider, blacklight retribution, the transistor

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#7925 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3316 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Blockbuster said today 164 stores will be closing in addition to the closings they announced a few weeks ago. This will leave them with about 200 stores. Fuck em.

Those 164 stores are in Britain. A lot of gaming sites seem to have re-reported the news without noticing that it was a UK article.

http://www.telegraph...ores-close.html

#7926 scblueeyedguy   Future Gadget Laboratory Technician CAGiversary!   2413 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

scblueeyedguy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

At least 1 of the 2 in my city is closing. I'll see about the other later today. Might have to stop by the closing one to see if anything is there.

#7927 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Those 164 stores are in Britain. A lot of gaming sites seem to have re-reported the news without noticing that it was a UK article.

http://www.telegraph...ores-close.html

Thanks. I got it from a regular news site in an article about one of their local stores that was part of the last wave announced and it didn't mention the UK thing.

#7928 AllFrankedUp   shhhhh. CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

AllFrankedUp

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Saw that the one in Humble, TX(just north of Houston) is closing. That one has been there since I was a kid(I'm 31).

793651.png

#7929 evildeadjedi   RIP DIO \m/ \m/ CAGiversary!   4750 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

They are dropping like flies. There used to be around 14 stores in my area. Today, there are 7.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7930 mrwogs2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2110 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Just found out today that my local BBV is closing in a month. Sad! I spent many a dollar at that store on the crazy used game/blu ray sales. The employee there was a nice guy. Sorry to see it go...

#7931 EYEL1NER   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1794 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I get back to the country after 6 months only to realize that I forgot to bring my copy of The Avengers with me (which my wife wanted to watch). So I go out for dinner and swing by the last Blockbuster in the area only to see that it is closing. No more rentals, no copies of The Avengers to at least buy, and bad sales on everything left.
I at least thought "This is the perfect opportunity to hit the 'International' section and grab a bunch of Chinese and Korean flicks," but nope. Nothing good left in that section and someone had even grabbed their copy of Versus from the Horror section.

Pretty disappointing but oh well. I'm about to leave the country for a while again, so maybe something cool can fill the store space, like a Moe's. I'm tired of driving an hour for a Moe's burrito...

#7932 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

They are dropping like flies. There used to be around 14 stores in my area. Today, there are 7.

I went from 10 to 2 BBVs within 30 minutes in 3 years.

#7933 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Used BD's are DVD's are now $7.99, used games are 20% off (still shitty price wise), and sleeve only (aka online rental) DVD's are $1.99 and BD's are $2.99. They easily had a 15-1 ratio of sleeve only DVD's to BD's.

#7934 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3133 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

When my store closed the prices were all HIGHER than they were ever when they were open! I don't know who runs these liquidations but I can't believe that customers are dumb enough to purchase things for much more than they are normally.

#7935 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10643 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

my closing blockbuster now has movies for 40% off and games 30% off. im waiting for koa reckoning and persona 4 arena to get cheap enough to flip to gamestop and theres a copy of singularity that i want to keep. its 9.99 before the discount so at around 50% off ill bite. my blockbuster is doing the liquidation for one more month. they also havesony hd tvs for 300$
Currently playing
:ps4: fez, strider, blacklight retribution, the transistor

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#7936 DCpinoy  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

my closing blockbuster now has movies for 40% off and games 30% off. im waiting for koa reckoning and persona 4 arena to get cheap enough to flip to gamestop and theres a copy of singularity that i want to keep. its 9.99 before the discount so at around 50% off ill bite. my blockbuster is doing the liquidation for one more month. they also havesony hd tvs for 300$

The display tv's? I've always wondered how many hours they've been on for their lifetime.

#7937 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

The one by me has another 7 weeks or so of liquidation.

#7938 io   ... Super Moderators   23203 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Blockbuster has already dropped below the critical mass they need to remain viable. They should just give up already and shut them all down. It has become a joke that they keep closing more and more stores. When they closed the 2 most profitable stores in my area a couple years ago that was definitely a sign of the end times.

But yeah, I wish I had 7 of 14 still remaining like evildeadjedi. We're down to 1 within 30 miles where there used to be 20-30. And for all I know, that one is now closing - I haven't been there in 6 months.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. According to the store locator, there are actually 7 within 30 miles. But 5 of them are 20+ and aren't what used to be within my shopping radius. Probably within that 30 miles there were 40-50 stores 5 or 6 years ago. For sure they were a bit oversaturated back then (especially with a lot of Hollywood Videos amongst them too). But they reached a nice balance 3-4 years ago where there was just 1 for each reasonable (say 5 mile radius) local area. Now, they are "out of sight, out of mind" for most people. Lack of stores makes the online pass with store exchanges (their one big advantage over Netflix) pretty useless for most people.

#7939 howard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   788 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

The store locator still includes stores that are currently liquidating and shutting down, so you may have even fewer within 30 miles.

#7940 io   ... Super Moderators   23203 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

The store locator still includes stores that are currently liquidating and shutting down, so you may have even fewer within 30 miles.

Yeah, I had considered that afteer I posted. I'd be curious to see but I'm not driving way out to check on them. I'll check on the closest 1 (really the only one that I ever went to with any regularity) when I'm in the area, but the others I'll wait a few months and see if they get removed.

Regardless, the point was that even before any of these close, there aren't enough.

I was going to make a new thread at some point but I think this will probably be the last one. An era has ended...

#7941 Fukurou   Banned Banned   719 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Fukurou

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

A Blockbuster near me is also closing down. Despite all the horror stories I'm hearing here about the prices, they told me that everything more expensive than $10 will drop down to $10, not counting hardware. Anything less than $10 will probably be 50% off or something.
The Silent Owl always gets his mark. Chapapa.

#7942 osuzoo08   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

osuzoo08

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

my store must be rare they are hiring right now

#7943 DJP519   Ready for a Vacation CAGiversary!   1287 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

A Blockbuster near me is also closing down. Despite all the horror stories I'm hearing here about the prices, they told me that everything more expensive than $10 will drop down to $10, not counting hardware. Anything less than $10 will probably be 50% off or something.

For movies, that's probably true, but not for games. No way they drop all games to $10 or less. More likely they raise the price back to MSRP, then take 20% off.

#7944 Brother Daz   Scotch and yes? CAGiversary!   7736 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Brother Daz

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Just noticed mine put out a now hiring sign a few days ago also.

#7945 JKSonic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm still amazed all mine went out of business. I mean maybe the ones in Ocean City, MD I can understand since they're only busy during warmer months...but they cleaned up during warm months. The one by me in Salisbury MD though there was ALWAYS people in there. I assume it closed down more to do with property rental prices than anything.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#7946 StryderOmega  

StryderOmega

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Just noticed mine put out a now hiring sign a few days ago also.

Dont be fooled, at a drop of a hat they may close down!

The hollywood video near where I lived did just that!

They hired some people, 3 months later it was closing down.

xivpads.png

#7947 applecider   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   87 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

applecider

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Mine actually was hiring the week before the liquidation started. Don't be too surprised if it still closes.

#7948 ticktack   What!? CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Mine actually was hiring the week before the liquidation started. Don't be too surprised if it still closes.

same here. Now hiring signs and brand new store layout a month ago. Today, store closing signs. At least theres some really awesome new fixtures for sale?

fss_overall.png

#7949 Gertle627   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1246 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Anyone know if the B1G1 sale is still going on? I might be willing to take a drive later

#7950 coopscohen   All Skill, No Luck CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Anyone know if the B1G1 sale is still going on? I might be willing to take a drive later

I was at a store yesterday and the current sale is B2G1.