Official 7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset announced

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sony just unveiled an Official 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound stereo Headset. It's just $99 too, which isn't bad.

5763459370_a4680418b1.jpg
5762913415_e6b8c5f6e3.jpg

Meet the Official Wireless Stereo Headset for PS3

Do you hear that sound? It’s the sound of the enemy approaching your bunker. Only you’ve heard them way before they’ve even seen you and now your commandos are ready to unload. What’s your advantage? It’s simple – the official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset – the latest addition to the PlayStation 3 accessories family.

The official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset will be available for $99.99 (MSRP) at retailers nationwide this September. Many more of your favorite franchises, such as Killzone and Gran Turismo, were also designed for surround sound audio. Featuring 7.1 virtual surround sound, the Wireless Stereo Headset lets you hear all the minor in-game audio clues clearly, whether you are in a firefight in a first-person shooter game or racing for the checkered flag.
Designed with comfort in mind for hours of gameplay, it’s the perfect addition to your PlayStation experience. Connecting the Wireless Stereo Headset with PS3 is made easy with the included USB Wireless Adapter. Precise volume controls and accessible microphone mute make it so you never have to interrupt gameplay to fumble for buttons. You can easily stay informed about battery status, sound controls, etc. with on-screen headset status updates. On top of that, the Wireless Stereo Headset also offers the highest quality voice chat for crystal clear online conversations. The mic is retractable so you can put it away if you just want to listen to music or play a single player game.
We’re very excited to be able to offer you yet another new way to get immersed in the game. Be sure to keep checking the Blog for more information soon.

Awesome. I always wanted a relatively cheap wireless headset. The only complaint so far is why the hell did they have to make the bridge so huge!

Ok that is sexy. I would actually consider purchasing a pair if they were 100% confirmed to work on PC flawlessly AND had really good sound quality.

I would love to have a pair of wireless headphones for my PC and for skype chatting.

Anyone know how they charge?

I'm really excited about this. I've been wanting for something like this for a while but they were either too expensive, or weren't really designed for the PS3. I'll probably still wait till some reviews come in, but these just might find their way under my Christmas tree this year.

It does still annoy me that Sony doesn't save things like this for E3. Sure it's not the biggest announcement, but it'd certainly get more attention that way, and it's something new that we haven't heard about yet. Sony has a tendency of announcing their games and other stuff before the expo even starts.

edit: Just read that the mic is retractable too. The lack of that option was one of my gripes with some of the other headsets out there

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GTmaster39']Too bad the PS3 only supports 5.1.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the PS3 supports 7.1 as well.. A quick google shows as much.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Pretty sure the PS3 supports 7.1 as well.. A quick google shows as much.[/QUOTE]
Games definitely support 7.1.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Pretty sure the PS3 supports 7.1 as well.. A quick google shows as much.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pjb16']Games definitely support 7.1.[/QUOTE]

My 7.1 stereo system agrees. I wish more games developed with it though.

You can confirm yourselves in the PS3's audio output settings.

IMG_9768.jpg

Yup through HDMI only. I wish Optical was supported for 7.1.

I'll wait for the reviews to come out for this. I really don't think you can have all this greatness in a wireless USB dongle and a great quality mic for $100. I'm more interested in the build quality if anything.

I'll just stick with my Astro Mixamp/ Sennhieser PC360 combo for now.

Pretty sweet. I can't really have a booming setup in my place so this is perfect for me.

[quote name='wrencrest']Awesome. I always wanted a relatively cheap wireless headset. The only complaint so far is why the hell did they have to make the bridge so huge![/QUOTE]
Who's that in your av?

[quote name='Muthafodder']My 7.1 stereo system agrees. I wish more games developed with it though.

[/QUOTE]

I think I have that same tv and receiver... haha.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Pretty sweet. I can't really have a booming setup in my place so this is perfect for me.

Who's that in your av?[/QUOTE]
Emmanuelle Chriqui best known as Sloan from Entourage

[quote name='Muthafodder']My 7.1 stereo system agrees. I wish more games developed with it though.

You can confirm yourselves in the PS3's audio output settings.

IMG_9768.jpg
[/QUOTE]
^I have that same theme. PS+ freebie?

Also, I wish my Stereo supported 7.1. Mine only does 5.1 and it doesn't have an HDMI port, so I had to get an optical cable so I could have surround sound games.

Interesting. I was contemplating a new wireless pair but wasn't too keen to shell out $200+ so I guess I'll just wait and get these if they're decent.

Looks nice, but how it will sound over a wireless signal will be something to wonder about. Usually for sound ALL wired > wireless.

[quote name='ROB64']^I have that same theme. PS+ freebie?

Also, I wish my Stereo supported 7.1. Mine only does 5.1 and it doesn't have an HDMI port, so I had to get an optical cable so I could have surround sound games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah PS+ freebie...this one was actually a good one.

The system in the picture is this one from Onkyo.

I paid $899 for it from Amazon last August when I bought the TV, for some strange reason the price seems to have increased quite a bit.

I wanted the new HDMI 1.4a version...it has 4 in 1 out.
It up-converts anything...Wii...you name it.

I was using an optical cable, I was constantly switching outputs and modes on the old receiver and television just to get the PS3 in surround.

I need this headset... It's very purdy.
I'll most likely buy it. Maybe then I won't keep losing the headsets I buy :lol:, plus the noises from my sound system won't bother anyone else, since presumingly all the sound would be coming from the cups. :)

That sure looks nice, especially since whenever I read about a surround gaming headset they seem to cost hundreds of dollars. I'm curious as well about the sound quality over wireless, though.

What I really need is a magic headset that lets me use my sound system at full blast without my mic picking it up.

This looks kind of good (especially since I now have downstairs neighbours), but I know next to nothing about sound systems. Feel like this is a dumb question, but if it is a 7.1 system, does that mean that it will automatically play anything "lower" (e.g. 5.1 sound) properly in surround sound too, or can it ONLY be used for 7.1 games/movies etc?

Also, when you guys say "games support 7.1 through HDMI only", why does the type of cable even enter into it? Doesn't a headset like this plug directly into the PS3 through USB, therefore how the PS3 connects to your separate AV/home theater sound system is irrelevant- if the PS3 can do 7.1, and the 7.1 headset is connected directly to the PS3 and you're playing a 7.1 enabled game, surely you should get 7.1 sound? (or maybe I'm missing something here?)

[quote name='monash65']This looks kind of good (especially since I now have downstairs neighbours), but I know next to nothing about sound systems. Feel like this is a dumb question, but if it is a 7.1 system, does that mean that it will automatically play anything "lower" (e.g. 5.1 sound) properly in surround sound too, or can it ONLY be used for 7.1 games/movies etc?

Also, when you guys say "games support 7.1 through HDMI only", why does the type of cable even enter into it? Doesn't a headset like this plug directly into the PS3 through USB, therefore how the PS3 connects to your separate AV/home theater sound system is irrelevant- if the PS3 can do 7.1, and the 7.1 headset is connected directly to the PS3 and you're playing a 7.1 enabled game, surely you should get 7.1 sound? (or maybe I'm missing something here?)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it'll support 5.1 and other lower settings too. And the point someone else brought up (incorrectly) about the PS3 not supporting anything higher than 5.1 really has nothing to do with this headset as it's simulating 7 speakers into the headset, no receiver or additional speakers required.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah it'll support 5.1 and other lower settings too. And the point someone else brought up (incorrectly) about the PS3 not supporting anything higher than 5.1 really has nothing to do with this headset as it's simulating 7 speakers into the headset, no receiver or additional speakers required.[/QUOTE]

Hey I said I was wrong :). I just don't understand how you're going to get 7.1 out of a USB dongle. You need some sort of audio input device, whether it be RCA, HDMI or Optical. 7.1 and mic support via USB and wireless..... Sounds like a nightmare. I know soundblaster has USB stick surround sound "cards" but even those are garbage.

Like I said, this might be only $100 and look pretty but you get what you pay for, I'd rather spend the extra money and get a wired headset and a dedicated audio mixer that I know is going to work (which I've already done) thats not going interfere with every wireless signal in the house. It's a glorified bluetooth headset, and it's going to sound exactly like one when playing other people online. And what are you going to do when the internal non removable battery finally dies in 2 years, then you're stuck with nothing.

I know some people have a phobia over wires but wouldn't you want something like this if you where tight on cash?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-dpx21.aspx

Lemme know how the headset works out for you ssjmichael. I'd like to see your impressions on it when you buy it.

I already said I'll wait till reviews come out before I decide, but I'm not already pre-judging that it'll be bad, or good for that matter, unlike you. There's absolutely no reason that this can't deliver 7.1 surround sound (albeit virtual) over wireless like many other headsets out there. Perhaps do some research on that, you'll find some out there that pretty much do the exact same thing and have glowing reviews for the sound quality.

You're very defensive. You're acting like I'm attacking you for some reason, when all I'm doing is questioning the product.

Also, that point you made about waiting for reviews didn't pop up until you edited your previous post this morning. Weird.

[quote name='GTmaster39']You're very defensive. You're acting like I'm attacking you for some reason, when all I'm doing is questioning the product.

Also, that point you made about waiting for reviews didn't pop up until you edited your previous post this morning. Weird.[/QUOTE]

I said this since yesterday: "I'll probably still wait till some reviews come in, but these just might find their way under my Christmas tree this year"

The only thing I edited in that post today was to add a word I mistyped yesterday. Perhaps others can vouch for seeing that sentence yesterday. It's hilarious that you'd accuse me of editing my post to add such a sentence though. I guess when you have nothing else to say, you resort to shit like that.

I don't feel I'm being defensive but whatever. I think I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions, which you seem to be chock full of in this thread

I'll just be sure to stay away from any threads you make because apparently any kind of constructive criticism towards a product that you apparently seem pretty adamant on putting it under your Christmas tree seems to set you off or turn you into Mr. Defensive.

These look awesome. If the reviews are good like ssjmichael said I'll probably get for christmas from my girlfriend. I was already thinking of getting a gaming headset so I'm hoping that these end up being good

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah it'll support 5.1 and other lower settings too.[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks, I thought as much.

That's just how ssjmicheal comes off. Don't take it personal.

I just got the turtle beach amp with audio technica a700 headset a few weeks ago, twice the price but couldn't be happier. Though they are in the shop cause my drunk ass snapped off the audio Jack... stupid extra long cord for me to trip on!

would you be able to use multiple headsets with your ps3 at once? 100 still feels like alot of headphones but if they come with a decent warranty id be game. ive always wanted some kind of headphones to wear for when i play survival horror games.

[quote name='lokizz']would you be able to use multiple headsets with your ps3 at once? 100 still feels like alot of headphones but if they come with a decent warranty id be game. ive always wanted some kind of headphones to wear for when i play survival horror games.[/QUOTE]

$100 sounds like a lot for this but when you consider the headphone surround sound feature what you are getting is like a $50 headphone. You will be better off with $100 headphone without virtual surround. If you like Sony, Sony MDR7505 is used by many music studios and one of the best headphone you can get for under $100. I'm personally a Sennheiser guy myself and most of the stuff they have is good while Sony headphones is like finding a diamond in the rough.

Been wanting some headsets as my living room setup makes it more or less impossible to have a sound system set up, and besides I want to be able to game at night without worrying about people sleeping. However, I read that these will only work on games, and that they won't work on Bluray/DVDs. Can someone confirm this? That seems quite silly and if true one has to ask "Why?"

Also, instead of getting these I'm wondering if I might be better off just paying the extra money to get a headset that works not only with the PS3, but my other gaming systems and my TV as well. Turtle Beach's or whatever does that, right? I'd be able to use them with the PS3/PS2/Cable etc?

[quote name='Buuhan1']I read that these will only work on games, and that they won't work on Bluray/DVDs. Can someone confirm this? That seems quite silly and if true one has to ask "Why?"[/QUOTE]

That would definitely suck if true.

Also, instead of getting these I'm wondering if I might be better off just paying the extra money to get a headset that works not only with the PS3, but my other gaming systems and my TV as well. Turtle Beach's or whatever does that, right? I'd be able to use them with the PS3/PS2/Cable etc?
Like I said before, I don't know much about sound systems (and someone more knowledgable can school me if they want) but personally I like the idea of a specialized "official" PS3 product like this that has been tailor made and configured for use with the system, versus a product that is simply compatible with the PS3 but also other systems. I mean, couldn't game designers potentially "customize" their games to this in ways that are exclusive to this headset?

Yeah I read that these won't work with Blu-ray movies for Surround Sound. That does suck. One other thing that turns me off of these is the fact that you can't use them as regular headphones. It'd be cool if there was some sort for 3.5mm headphone port so you could use it with any device.

I'm still looking around for the best headset for the money. I'm willing to spend upwards of $150 for one. I'd also prefer wireless as I've seen some of the wired ones and they seem to have a ton of cables for them

[quote name='Buuhan1']Been wanting some headsets as my living room setup makes it more or less impossible to have a sound system set up, and besides I want to be able to game at night without worrying about people sleeping. However, I read that these will only work on games, and that they won't work on Bluray/DVDs. Can someone confirm this? That seems quite silly and if true one has to ask "Why?"

Also, instead of getting these I'm wondering if I might be better off just paying the extra money to get a headset that works not only with the PS3, but my other gaming systems and my TV as well. Turtle Beach's or whatever does that, right? I'd be able to use them with the PS3/PS2/Cable etc?[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-...N64Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306776614&sr=8-1

$212 instead of the $250 it used to be. Supports PS3 and Xbox. Also has left and right analog inputs so it will hook up to almost anything.
howWorks_PX5.jpg

[quote name='ssjmichael']
I'm still looking around for the best headset for the money. I'm willing to spend upwards of $150 for one. I'd also prefer wireless as I've seen some of the wired ones and they seem to have a ton of cables for them[/QUOTE]

You can get a headphone for like $100 and get the official PS3 headset and use that as microphone on dock mode. Headphone extension cables are so cheap that you should be able to get plenty.

This is the setup that I use for PS3 but my headphone is lot more expensive.

[quote name='laaj']You can get a headphone for like $100 and get the official PS3 headset and use that as microphone on dock mode. Headphone extension cables are so cheap that you should be able to get plenty.

This is the setup that I use for PS3 but my headphone is lot more expensive.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the setup. Sound quality on my headphones > any gaming headset.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Turtle Beach's or whatever does that, right? I'd be able to use them with the PS3/PS2/Cable etc?[/QUOTE]

I have some TB X41's that were, of course, originally bought for my 360 but lately, I've hooked them up to my PS3 for late night LA Noire playing. They work just fine and sound great on both systems. You cant chat on the PS3 w/o a wired adapter, but that doesnt bother me at all as I rarely voice chat at all (and even less on the PS3).

[quote name='laaj']You can get a headphone for like $100 and get the official PS3 headset and use that as microphone on dock mode. Headphone extension cables are so cheap that you should be able to get plenty.

This is the setup that I use for PS3 but my headphone is lot more expensive.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I sound like an idiot because I don't much about this stuff but I don't understand the setup. How do you get headphones to work on the PS3?

[quote name='JG5253']Sorry if I sound like an idiot because I don't much about this stuff but I don't understand the setup. How do you get headphones to work on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

Buy an Astro Mixamp. Or if you have a receiver with a headphone jack that'll work too.

As long as your amp has an input and an output with those right and left channels that adapter should work for the output.

bread's done
Back