Diablo 3 requires a constant internet connection for offline play.

I can see the Activision effect starting to happen at Blizzard now that they have merged. All Activision cares about is MOAR MONEY!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Oh boo fucking hoo. They've hinted this was coming for a long time.[/QUOTE]

It's okay man. It's not that big of a deal. Just keep your eyes out for a DRMish-free version like I will. :lol:

Am I the only person who doesn't have a real problem with this? I don't want D3 to be filled with bullshit items and characters like D2 and D1 were.

Just download a cracked version for your laptop or whatever, if all you're playing is single-player. I don't think Blizzard will care.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']It's okay man. It's not that big of a deal. Just keep your eyes out for a DRMish-free version like I will. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Blizzard has been adamant from the beginning that the reason they have to do this is because of piracy.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Good luck with that. Blizzard has been adamant from the beginning that the reason they have to do this is because of piracy.[/QUOTE]

Its a shame this will just lead to more people grabbing a pirated version so they dont have to deal with this nonsense.

[quote name='tcrash247']Is this really a surprise to anyone? SC2 does the same thing.[/QUOTE]

No, Starcraft 2 is different. You need to be online the first time you load it up to authenticate the game. Once it's authenticated, you can play offline single player without any achievement gain.

[quote name='musha666']Its a shame this will just lead to more people grabbing a pirated version so they dont have to deal with this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

^^Reality. I'll play this with no DRM shit when it comes out. I love to support game developers, but not when they work against themselves and the customer at the same time. It's fucking idiotic.

PS: See my sig.

Well, I am quite ecstatic about this :) Two long time friends were waiting for Diablo 3 for a long time. After this news hit, they decided to forgo purchasing it and have embraced the freeware/f2p way.

The wife travels all the time and still plays Diablo I and II offline (she's even made some mods for it). The no offline mode killed it for her. Since she's not playing it, the husband ain't either. Just got them to play LoL last night.

*insert Rick Flair wooooo here*

Thanks Blizzard ;)

If you all want to miss out on a fantastic game just because you need to be online to play then I feel sorry for you. I think you're all overreacting.

In addition to the whole piracy thing, they are allowing items to be sold for real money so they're really looking to lock down the cheaters.

Honestly, I never played on battle.net. I find the community... tiring. I just enjoyed D1 and D2 on LAN with friends and being able to grind for some drops in single player to share with them. This whole online only thing is just going to funnel massive amounts of people to private servers and cracked offline versions.

[quote name='manlai']In addition to the whole piracy thing, they are allowing items to be sold for real money so they're really looking to lock down the cheaters.

Honestly, I never played on battle.net. I find the community... tiring. I just enjoyed D1 and D2 on LAN with friends and being able to grind for some drops in single player to share with them. This whole online only thing is just going to funnel massive amounts of people to private servers and cracked offline versions.[/QUOTE]

You don't ever need to interact with the community. You log on battle.net and create a private game for you and your friends.

[quote name='tcrash247']If you all want to miss out on a fantastic game just because you need to be online to play then I feel sorry for you. I think you're all overreacting.[/QUOTE]

Maybe some people don't have the means to be online every time they want to play.

[quote name='tcrash247']If you all want to miss out on a fantastic game just because you need to be online to play then I feel sorry for you. I think you're all overreacting.[/QUOTE]

Folks are not going to miss out on the game. The developers are going to miss out on getting paid.

[quote name='manlai']In addition to the whole piracy thing, they are allowing items to be sold for real money so they're really looking to lock down the cheaters.

Honestly, I never played on battle.net. I find the community... tiring. I just enjoyed D1 and D2 on LAN with friends and being able to grind for some drops in single player to share with them. This whole online only thing is just going to funnel massive amounts of people to private servers and cracked offline versions.[/QUOTE]

Or they will look to other publishers that treat them better.

[quote name='tcrash247']You don't ever need to interact with the community. You log on battle.net and create a private game for you and your friends.[/QUOTE]

You're trying too hard to defend this company and it's stance.

If you're OK with they are doing, fine. You can not force other ppl to accept your standards.

People want to buy a game and play it HOW THEY SEE FIT.

If this was an MMO, it would be understandable to have constant connection and no mod support.

It's not.

A single player game (yes it allows other players) should not be forcing PAYING customers to stay online if they do not want to.

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe some people don't have the means to be online every time they want to play.[/QUOTE]

You can't blame a company for realizing it's 2011 and have the thought that most people should be connected to the internet with their computer at most times. They're only doing this to make the playing experience better for us.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Folks are not going to miss out on the game. The developers are going to miss out on getting paid.[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about the crack and hacker community, but (and this is an honest question, not hypothetical or anything) do you think Diablo 3 will be able to be had for free and played offline? Because if not, then folks will be missing out on the game. And if that is true, then maybe you're right, Blizzard might be shooting themselves in the foot, but I still don't think it's a big deal.

[quote name='Megazell']You're trying too hard to defend this company and it's stance.

If you're OK with they are doing, fine. You can not force other ppl to accept your standards.

People want to buy a game and play it HOW THEY SEE FIT.

If this was an MMO, it would be understandable to have constant connection and no mod support.

It's not.

A single player game (yes it allows other players) should not be forcing PAYING customers to stay online if they do not want to.[/QUOTE]

I'm only trying to help people understand why they're doing this and to see their logic. And arguing with you on this is pointless because you already hate it because you actually have to pay money to play it.

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe some people don't have the means to be online every time they want to play.[/QUOTE]

Allowing characters to go offline would mean the characters are stored clientside. Having characters clientside means it would only be a matter of time before people start hacking their characters, generating items, and/or duplicating items. That kind of stuff would kill any economy they set up, especially because they have a real money AH....but even an in-game gold AH would be killed.

The only way I could see them allowing offline play was if your offline characters were completely divided from your online characters.

If you don't think it's a big deal then that's fine. Not everyone has access to internet like you do. I see it from another perspective. I think it's unfair to make people have a constant connection to play an offline game. And this trend is becoming the norm more and more. But, I can't force you to see it from someone else's perspective. Just hope that your circumstances don't become that of someone who this trend of DRM will affect.

The only way I could see them allowing offline play was if your offline characters were completely divided from your online characters.

Wouldn't their system be able to detect those things as soon as you connect? Hack your items, connect, system sees it, ban?

I agree, having them completely separate would be perfect.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Wouldn't their system be able to detect those things as soon as you connect? Hack your items, connect, system sees it, ban?

I agree, having them completely separate would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

Why even risk it though? You know damn well someone out there would be able to figure out how to hack their character and get past whatever authentication roadblock Blizzard would have in place.

I take no issues with this.

It's sad to me how little people care about other people these days. You don't have an issue with it so you don't give a fuck. Who gives a fuck about people who this will affect negatively. The lack of perspective and empathy is sad. It really shouldn't shock me like it does though.

Does it suck for people who don't have internet 24/7, yeah. However, another part of me says "it's 2011, if you don't have a reliable internet connection, that's your fault".

What about hackers with hack items that ruined the game? That pretty much killed Diablo 2 for me. I can understand it being a problem for AC2 but this is like complaining you can't play WoW because you are not online. You can be mad that they don't have an offline mode, but not for this

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Folks are not going to miss out on the game. The developers are going to miss out on getting paid.[/QUOTE]

Developers are going to get paid. This is one of the largest games to come out in the past 10 years. You people who are "boycotting" this represent a tiny minority of the populace who can and will buy this game.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Wouldn't their system be able to detect those things as soon as you connect? Hack your items, connect, system sees it, ban?

I agree, having them completely separate would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

Detecting such activity is much easier said than done. When the user's offline, the game would have to save something somewhere detailing either what happened in the game/what processes were running on the computer/if there was any RAM data accessed outside of normal operation procedures/whatever else Blizz could use to identify an offline hack. Moment someone finds these logs and figures out a way to modify them such that Blizzard either the logs don't send up a red flag, they're screwed. Sure, it could take some time and a bit of work, but considering there's money on the line, you can bet people are gonna try till they succeed.

[quote name='62t']What about hackers with hack items that ruined the game? That pretty much killed Diablo 2 for me. I can understand it being a problem for AC2 but this is like complaining you can't play WoW because you are not online. You can be mad that they don't have an offline mode, but not for this[/QUOTE]
Those hacked items made it onto the realms multiple times. Even rust storm couldn't stop duping. The fact that those characters were online only made 0 difference. And no it is not the same as complaining you can't play WoW offline because Diablo is not an MMO. It is, or was, a complete single player experience.

The Diablo series has always been a solid single player game thanks to its story and atmosphere. It had a very focused direction with little to no grinding found in MMOs. The game is paced perfectly so that you can simply play through it. Removing the ability to play without an internet connection, well, its just a terrible idea. What was wrong with Diablo 2's method of splitting realm and non-realm characters? You want your legit always online connection thing? Ok, play on the realms. You want your single player/non-realm stuff? Bam, you got that.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm only trying to help people understand why they're doing this and to see their logic. And arguing with you on this is pointless because you already hate it because you actually have to pay money to play it.[/QUOTE]

The nature of your post, was not one of education but of condemnation for those that are making decision based on what BLIZZARD has announce they plan to do with Diablo 3.

Every educated retail gamer knows WHY they are trying to do it. They want to prevent illegal copies of their game. It's their implementation that ppl are against.

Who's arguing? This is a discussion.

I never stated I hate paying $ for games. I have stated that I won't. This is a strong reason of why.

[quote name='SEH']Does it suck for people who don't have internet 24/7, yeah. However, another part of me says "it's 2011, if you don't have a reliable internet connection, that's your fault".[/QUOTE]

How is it your fault if there is no reliable ISP in your area?

How is it your fault if the uploads and download are regulated the same way by all ISP in your area?

You've wrote some pretty disgusting/ignorant things in the past but this quite possibly takes the cake.

Sad.

[quote name='Megazell']How is it your fault if there is no reliable ISP in your area?

How is it your fault if the uploads and download are regulated the same way by all ISP in your area?

You've wrote some pretty disgusting/ignorant things in the past but this quite possibly takes the cake.

Sad.[/QUOTE]

I live literally in the middle of nowhere, yet I'm able to get a reliable internet connection. If I can get a reliable internet connection way the hell out here (nearest city is 20+ minutes away, and it's a town of only 5000 people), I'm pretty sure 99% of the country can also do so.

Also, you bring up ISP's regulating internet usage. I don't think playing Diablo III is going to make you hit a cap if you have one. It's not like you're sending and receiving gigs of data every second.

[quote name='dabamus']I can see the Activision effect starting to happen at Blizzard now that they have merged. All Activision cares about is MOAR MONEY![/QUOTE]
While I don't like activision very much for te exact reason you stated we can't really blame this on them. Blizzard has been charging extra money for simple things in WoW like a server transfer or a faction change. What's is they caust more then the monthly fee and require very little of any effor from blizzard at all. Blizzard makes good games but they want to bleed you dry just as bad as activision. For example the auction house that uses real world money charges you 3 seperate times when you're selling items on it: there is a listing fee ( that isn't refunded if the item doesn't sell), there is a fee when the item is sold and lastly there is a fee to put the money on to paypal. Basicly they are getting money for doing absoultly nothing and the worst part is that people are going to use that auction house and feed blizzard's greed -__-

[quote name='SEH']I live literally in the middle of nowhere, yet I'm able to get a reliable internet connection. If I can get a reliable internet connection way the hell out here (nearest city is 20+ minutes away, and it's a town of only 5000 people), I'm pretty sure 99% of the country can also do so.

Also, you bring up ISP's regulating internet usage. I don't think playing Diablo III is going to make you hit a cap if you have one. It's not like you're sending and receiving gigs of data every second.[/QUOTE]

Your middle of nowhere is nothing compared to place in the US let alone the world where the Digital Divide is strong.

99% of the country...Do you even know what it's like outside of your street?

Again, you must have never traveled outside of the US because different places have different policies.

Shameful.

As long as enough people accept these "security features" and buy the products companies will keep pushing this junk forward. Don't fool yourselves either, this is just one more step towards a 100% subscription based gaming industry. Unfortunately, there are too many sheep and not enough wolves in the gaming community.

[quote name='tcrash247']
I don't know anything about the crack and hacker community, but (and this is an honest question, not hypothetical or anything) do you think Diablo 3 will be able to be had for free and played offline? Because if not, then folks will be missing out on the game. And if that is true, then maybe you're right, Blizzard might be shooting themselves in the foot, but I still don't think it's a big deal.
[/QUOTE]

One week tops and it will be cracked. Seeing as it's a high profile game like this, the time it takes them is most likely going to be much lower. Blizzard surely knows this and it's only creating a backlash in the community. They should do what they did for Starcraft 2, a one time activation.

I really don't see the problem with this. Its Blizzard's game and they can have whatever restrictions they want for their game. If you don't want to follow their rules then you don't get to play their game. Its as simple as that.

Also the argument that this is "unfair" to people with no reliable Internet connection is siliy. That's like saying Crysis 2's high system requirements is unfair to people with home pcs with intergrated graphic cards. Its not a developers job to cater to every possible person and if Blizzard feels making the game require an Internet connection will offer more benefits than drawbacks then I don't see why anyone would be upset with this.

[quote name='Megazell']Your middle of nowhere is nothing compared to place in the US let alone the world where the Digital Divide is strong.

99% of the country...Do you even know what it's like outside of your street?

Again, you must have never traveled outside of the US because different places have different policies.

Shameful.[/QUOTE]

I dont live on street, I live back in the woods. Also, I've traveled the US, stop acting like it's a 3rd world country. Oh, and you'll see I mentioned this country, I've never claimed to have gone outside the US.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']
Also the argument that this is "unfair" to people with no reliable Internet connection is siliy. That's like saying Crysis 2's high system requirements is unfair to people with home pcs with intergrated graphic cards. Its not a developers job to cater to every possible person and if Blizzard feels making the game require an Internet connection will offer more benefits than drawbacks then I don't see why anyone would be upset with this.[/QUOTE]

It's not very silly, the difference between a $10 internet connection and a $500 gaming computer is huge.

Doesn't bother me. Only time I'm playing PC games is when I'm home in front of my computer that is connected to the net 24/7. If I'm ever in a situation where I can't play D3 because I have no internet, I really shouldn't be sitting on my butt playing games anyway.

[quote name='musha666']Its a shame this will just lead to more people grabbing a pirated version so they dont have to deal with this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I know Ill pirate it. I wont buy the game, I refuse to support developers that do this kind of thing.

I used to love blizzard but ever since they merged with activision they have steadily taken on worse and worse business practices that I dont like and become more and more greedy. Allowing people to sell items in D3 with real world money while blizzard takes a cut, chopping starcraft 2 up into 3 seperate games, increasing the minimum msrp for their pc games to 60 dollars, selling more and more mounts/pets for real world money in wow, them whoring out the wow license more and more, online connections needed for single player now and so on.

I used to respect blizzard but I really dislike them as a developer anymore and I refuse to pay legit for their products. So Im going to pirate diablo3 and Ill play it hassle free unlike the paying customers. Starcraft 2 is the last game of theirs Ill buy really. Which is a shame since I have no problem paying for my games and I do enjoy being able to have the real copies for my collection but it wont happen here.

[quote name='gargus']I used to respect blizzard but I really dislike them as a developer anymore and I refuse to pay legit for their products. So Im going to pirate diablo3 and Ill play it hassle free unlike the paying customers. [/QUOTE]

You mean multiplayer free.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You mean multiplayer free.[/QUOTE]

He will still be able to play the pirated version online. Just on private servers.

[quote name='Megazell']He will still be able to play the pirated version online. Just on private servers.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but it would take a good bit of time before someone was able to put together a private server that would be able to accurately emulate the real thing. See, given that you're going to be connected to the game at all times, I wouldn't be surprised if they had most of the game logic executed server side. Client side would have all the art assets and stuff, and would just be told what to do. I know WoW has private servers set up, so I don't doubt that they'll pop up for D3, I just doubt that they'll pop up fast and be as good as the real deal.

[quote name='Salamando3000']so I don't doubt that they'll pop up for D3, I just doubt that they'll pop up fast and be as good as the real deal.[/QUOTE]

That's all subjective though. I'm sure those that are into the private server scene are going to love it.

Sadly, many times the private servers are better then the official ones. I talking empirically, less lag, active admins, friendly player base, non-nerf updates..etc.

Any time I see a game require constant internet connection I think back to Assassin's Creed 2 launch. The servers for the game authentication were down so legally purchased copies couldn't be played but everyone who downloaded the hacked version could play just fine. Bought it legally and get screwed, downloaded and pirated it and you're fine.

The fact that those situations can occur bothers me. Did no one learn anything from Sony? What if Blizzard gets hacked like that and is down for am extended time? It's one thing if its online multi-player but when you're telling me I have to be dependant on them during single player as well I am very, very unlikely to be on board. In fact, I've yet to even consider buying an always on required PC game aside from MMOs, which is kind of a given.

bread's done
Back