Dead Island?

soulvengeance

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (100%)
So is anyone getting this game? I think I'm going to get it, so it would be cool if we could put something together with a few people to try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering it. All the gameplay footage I've seen though has looked kind of bad, so I'm waiting for reviews.

[quote name='SEH']I'm considering it. All the gameplay footage I've seen though has looked kind of bad, so I'm waiting for reviews.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I also hate all the characters. I can't connect to any of them. I'll wait for it to drop to $20 because something like this always drops really quick.

I was very intrigued by this game when I first saw it, but I'll definitely be waiting for a deal on it. It seems like it was way overhyped (even to the point of trying to cover up flaws in the core gameplay).

[quote name='SEH']I'm considering it. All the gameplay footage I've seen though has looked kind of bad, so I'm waiting for reviews.[/QUOTE]
^

I was really looking forward to this game initially but from I keep seeing of the gameplay footage, yeah no longer interested. I think I'll keep my cash for something else.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']It seems like it was way overhyped (even to the point of trying to cover up flaws in the core gameplay).[/QUOTE]

If it is overhyped, it's their own damn fault. That initial cinematic trailer of the reverse-time little girl wrote some mighty big checks that this game doesn't look like it'll be able to cash.

[quote name='Salamando3000']If it is overhyped, it's their own damn fault. That initial cinematic trailer of the reverse-time little girl wrote some mighty big checks that this game doesn't look like it'll be able to cash.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that trailer wasn't selling the game at all because I knew nothing about the game before AND after seeing that for the first time. I still don't know much about it other than there's a lot of suitcases and dressers to search. . .

[quote name='Salamando3000']If it is overhyped, it's their own damn fault. That initial cinematic trailer of the reverse-time little girl wrote some mighty big checks that this game doesn't look like it'll be able to cash.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I mean... Overhyped by the publisher/developer. They had multiple page ads (4-6 pages long!) in various gaming mags, combined with the trailers and everything else. Seems to me like they were almost overcompensating, like that guy who lifts his truck 10 inches and puts huge-ass tires on it.

Actually pretty pumped for the game and preordered a copy already. I've always been interested in the title, but was hooked when I tried the five minute demo at Comic-Con. Wanted to play more and soon I will!

The original trailer was incredible and got me really excited for the game. A heavily story driven zombie game was a nice change of pace from the usual "RAPE ALL DA ZOMBIES WIT DA CHAINSAWZ" approach. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when they showed actual gameplay and it was "RAPE ALL DA ZOMBIES WIT DA CHAINSAWZ". They did a complete 180 and I think it's going to cost them.

trailer makes me want to get it more hehe. especially with it being 4 player co-op(boarderlands anyone!) :)

i see some pop up damage/text like wow but so what. only thing i might not like is if its one of them melee games.

that said there is like no preorder discount on steam so i'll wait. :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']trailer makes me want to get it more hehe. especially with it being 4 player co-op(boarderlands anyone!) :)

i see some pop up damage/text like wow but so what. only thing i might not like is if its one of them melee games.

that said there is like no preorder discount on steam so i'll wait. :)[/QUOTE]

There's a decent discount at Greenmangaming making it 34 bucks, and it registers on steam.

I am excited for this game. I like the fact that Zombies have actual health, not just kill hoards of Zombies with 1 health each like Dead Rising or L4D.

[quote name='Zanpakuto']Actually pretty pumped for the game and preordered a copy already. I've always been interested in the title, but was hooked when I tried the five minute demo at Comic-Con. Wanted to play more and soon I will![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am excited for this game. I like the fact that Zombies have actual health, not just kill hoards of Zombies with 1 health each like Dead Rising or L4D.[/QUOTE]

Cool, glad to see there's some interest in this game, just add me on steam if you guys want to play when it comes out. Soul Vengeance.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am excited for this game. I like the fact that Zombies have actual health, not just kill hoards of Zombies with 1 health each like Dead Rising or L4D.[/QUOTE]
You should try Killing Floor then. Vastly cheaper and probably the superior game. Takes skill to play properly, though.

[quote name='Jodou']You should try Killing Floor then. Vastly cheaper and probably the superior game. Takes skill to play properly, though.[/QUOTE]

Love, love, Killing Floor, I easily have over 100 hours into it, I'm just looking for a change for a little while, hopefully Dead Island will do the trick.:) Do we have a CAG Killing Floor group?

I'm interested, but cautious. Will wait for the quick look/WTF is and other user impressions. If they are positive, might pick it up when it's $20 or less. Trying to save money and all that.

[quote name='docvinh']Love, love, Killing Floor, I easily have over 100 hours into it, I'm just looking for a change for a little while, hopefully Dead Island will do the trick.:) Do we have a CAG Killing Floor group?[/QUOTE]
Pfft, I have 60+ hours in it from the last two weeks alone! I think there might have been a KF group, but I generally don't care for those. I only like playing on HOE with people I know can pull their weight. Lately though, there's hardly anyone on and a lot of bads with level 4 perks on those servers. :\

[quote name='Jodou']You should try Killing Floor then. Vastly cheaper and probably the superior game. Takes skill to play properly, though.[/QUOTE]
I have Killing Floor, I am not a big fan of it. I think the whole idea of I know there are x zombies left in a horde kinda gets rid of the suspense factor. One reason I do like L4D is shit pops out randomly.

I think I like Dead Island because it mixes the survival gameplay of killing floor with a more suspenseful and interesting mechanic to it. Or basically as IGN puts it, Fallout 3 with zombies.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have Killing Floor, I am not a big fan of it. I think the whole idea of I know there are x zombies left in a horde kinda gets rid of the suspense factor. One reason I do like L4D is shit pops out randomly.

I think I like Dead Island because it mixes the survival gameplay of killing floor with a more suspenseful and interesting mechanic to it. Or basically as IGN puts it, Fallout 3 with zombies.[/QUOTE]

After looking at that IGN review and a couple of previews, this is
going to be one of the games I buy this year at launch.

Goddamn do I love me some Zombies and Fallout.

Thanks for the IGN review...now i may have to buy this! Just wish i knew if the PC port has anything special going for it (besides mouse/keyboard)

i'm having doubts about this game even though i pre-ordered for $34. I never trusted IGN reviews cause of too many paid per review stories

I don't trust IGN review scores much at all since they're one of the biggest abusers of the entire 7-10 grading system (where only absolutely terrible games get 6.9 or lower). That review is doubly bad for being a Greg Miller review. Ever since his godawful review of Dead Space 2, I just have no respect for his work.

I'm intrigued by this game, but not enough to get it at launch...plan on waiting to see what mods people come up with for it...that is, if the game can be modded at all.

My god. That review was horrible to read, yet entertaining to make fun of. Almost as bad as his Dead Space 2 review. This guy should never get another writing job ever again.

[quote name=' Dead Island IGN Review "Snip"']Dead Island's strength is in the world it creates. I crept into and through each environment I came to, from beaches to sewers to jail cells. I listened for the screams of the infected or the roar of a damage sponge known as a "Thug." From that perspective, I was on the island; not my character. [/QUOTE]

I know what he is trying to say, but the dude needs to take a writing class.

[quote name='SEH']Here is the GameTrailers review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-dead-island/720226?[/QUOTE]

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnlszpEQo21qd8tfx.gif
tumblr_lnlszpEQo21qd8tfx.gif

anyone want to play tonight?

[quote name='SEH']It actually unlocks at 9PM Pacific/12AM Eastern.[/QUOTE]
Well that's if Gaben gets off his fat ass and releases it at midnight :lol:. The L4D 2 fiasco still runs through my mind.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well that's if Gaben gets off his fat ass and releases it at midnight :lol:. The L4D 2 fiasco still runs through my mind.[/QUOTE]

They've actually been really good about releasing stuff right at midnight for awhile now.

Impressions after an hour in.

It's fun. It feels to me like a cross between fallout 3 and borderlands gameplay wise. Reason I say that is you have a survival element like fallout 3, but you have a nice amount of enemies like a borderlands. Also you have a borderlands skill tree system.

Weapons degrade over time unless repaired/upgraded, and the quest system is something out of fallout or borderlands. Is it worth full price? Not so sure on that yet, it feels a bit rough around the edges and but I would recommend the buy at some point. Overall though I am enjoying my time.

The only negative about this game is it needs to be patched BADLY. I fell through a floor today and entered free flight mode. Plus there are randomly graphical glitches and such.

I'm enjoying the game, but the coop matching seems a little tough to figure out. Definitely saw a ton of graphical glitches in the beginning, but haven't seen any since. The controls were a little weird at first, but after you get used to it, not bad at all. I was slicing heads off with ease. Also, maximboobles drives like shit when he's drunk.:)

That patch should hit sometime today and I'm a little surprised it hasn't already hit (My Downloads show a 76MB patch last night at 11PM, so that may be it but a friend didn't get it until just now). Regardless, there are still a ton of minor issues with the game. Nothing gamebreaking with a few that can get on your nerves but shouldn't happen frequently.

My main issues are how the fuck could they release a dev build to the public (particularly the noclippping thing)? And how did they fuck up the mouse so bad in menus? Particularly how slow the mouse movement is in menus and how bad the skill tree is with the mouse. The shit should be mouseover, not point and click and then cover up 1/4th of the other trees, making it difficult to click skills under that tooltip window for the skill.

Also, hotkeying j default to join someone elses game regardless if you're playing online or single player is a bitch because it's in the middle of all other hotkeys (U/I/M/etc). While you can change it (thank god), it's very annoying because it doesn't prompt a confirmation window or anything if you accidentally click it before changing the hotkey. I also hate how you can't set privacy options for multiplayer. There is no passwording games or making it friends-only. You have to create a game and invite friends and hope to god someone doesn't take a slot before then.

Last but not least as I haven't gotten to play much at all is there's no fucking voice option shit in the menus. It's on by default with no way to turn it off. I use fucking Vent and TS3, which is far better and more reliable than the built-in shit. Let me turn that crap off.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the game when I get time to play after work today, but god. Developers/publishers need to add these little things into their PC versions/ports. It's annoying as hell having to deal with stupid shit because of lazy devs or rushing publishers.

That 76 MB patch is not the retail fix, or at least I pray. All I know it did was remove the debug mode and made my game run choppy meaning I can't play it until they fix it :cry:

It wouldn't be a problem except I am craving more Dead Island because I find this game really fun.

I just picked this up from TRU, got a $15 gift card too.

add me on xbox or message me here if anyone wants to play.

only be on in the evening during the week. all day this weekend!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']That 76 MB patch is not the retail fix, or at least I pray. All I know it did was remove the debug mode and made my game run choppy meaning I can't play it until they fix it :cry:

It wouldn't be a problem except I am craving more Dead Island because I find this game really fun.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking it isn't, but it's difficult to say. What I'm guessing is that it was just a quick fix to stop all the abusive assholes online from joining other peoples games and breaking shit using dev options/commands.

EDIT: Inquired to my friend about the update he saw on their facebook about the update. It has now been changed from "Today" to "ASAP". So it's most likely not the update in question.

bread's done
Back