* * * * * 5 votes

ROCKSMITH 2014 Remastered Deals **** STEAM sale on Game & DLC ***** $12 thru the Ubi Store

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

#271 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

If you're waiting on the PC version, you might wanna knock back a few to ease the pain. A producer for RS posted that it's been pushed back to May.
http://www.facebook....253166328074384

EDIT: And Musicians Friend Cyber Monday sale is still going on thru Wednesday 11/30. Get $10 off a purchase of $79, 25 off 250, 100 off 799

Ack. This was pretty much what I was waiting for! I skipped on the Amazon X360 deal because I wanted the PC version. Now it's not even coming out until May?! (if it comes out at all.)

Is the Gamestop deal still on? I see it has the $49.99 price on their site but it's not available online. Time to make a few phone calls.

As suggested by Smiley (thanks man!) I even went ahead and picked up the Dean Vendetta XMT on Amazon for $99 and it should be getting here tomorrow. I was thinking about picking up the Line6 15W amp as well but I have an old, simple Crate 15W and a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal... so I guess I can live without it for now. Not that big of a deal if I have the guitar without the game since I do have some experience playing guitar.

Since other people were asking about skill/experience, on a scale from noob to guitar God, I would classify my guitar playing abilities at upper easy to medium. And I've played drums/percussion on and off for about 10 years (4 years of marching and symphonic in high school.) Although I haven't played seriously in about 6 years unless you count Rock Band :P

Just for reference since I'm bored

Skill levels:
Justin Bieber
noob
Easy
Medium
Hard
Expert
Asian kid on Youtube
Guitar God

#272 williams90   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

williams90

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Is this a good deal?

Dean Electric Guitar Starter Pack with Vendetta XMT Metalic Red, 10 Watt Amp, Gig Bag, Cord, Strap, Picks

http://www.amazon.co...2950_pe_vfe_dt2

#273 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Is this a good deal?

Dean Electric Guitar Starter Pack with Vendetta XMT Metalic Red, 10 Watt Amp, Gig Bag, Cord, Strap, Picks

http://www.amazon.co...2950_pe_vfe_dt2

IMHO, it's NOT a terrible deal for a starter kit for $190. However if you can afford it, spend a bit more ~$250/260ish on the XMT itself (if found for $100), a better amp, and better quality accessories that will last longer and are just plain better.

XMT - $100
Line 6 Spider 15W Amp - $100
Dunlop Guitar Strap - $12
Korg Large screen Guitar/Bass Tuner - $12 or the cheaper, regular screen Korg Guitar/Bass Tuner - $9
Stagg Gig Bag - $20
Cable 10ft. - $10
Dunlop Nylon .88mm Picks - $4
=
$257

Though the tuner is not 100% necessary if you have Rocksmith since you can tune in the game but that means you'll have to turn on your Xbox (especially with new strings and the tremolo) so you can subtract $11 if you want.

Edited by egonpax, 30 November 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#274 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Just called two Gamestops near me and they had the game for Xbox 360 still for $49.99 (forgot to ask about PS3 but I'm figuring it's the same.)

EDIT: My bad for the double post. Meant to edit. Stupid iPhone version of CAG. (stupid me really)

#275 DJP519   Ready for a Vacation CAGiversary!   1297 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

My copy arrived yesterday. Here's my question. I've got a cheap electric guitar I bought about 6 years ago, I've fiddled with it a little, but not much. Still has the original strings on it. How long is a set of strings realistically good for? How often should they be changed? Does it depend more on age, or use? And, for that matter, I've never actually changed a string, not entirely sure how to do it. I'm sure I could find instructions online, though. Thanks!

#276 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

My copy arrived yesterday. Here's my question. I've got a cheap electric guitar I bought about 6 years ago, I've fiddled with it a little, but not much. Still has the original strings on it. How long is a set of strings realistically good for? How often should they be changed? Does it depend more on age, or use? And, for that matter, I've never actually changed a string, not entirely sure how to do it. I'm sure I could find instructions online, though. Thanks!

Strings will sound "dead" when they need to be changed. A lot of times, they will also go out of tune rather easily. Good strings on a guitar that is pretty much set up good should last a good long time. It depends more on use.

#277 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2089 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yesterday was fantastic, went to a pawn shop and they sold me this guitar and a lil amp for 45 bucks....

Then i went to gamestop for the rocksmith special. This game is hella fun.

Count yourself lucky with that find. I've been to a few pawn stores around Hickory and they are trying to sell used guitars for $15 less than I can buy them new from online music centers.

#278 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3542 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

IMHO, it's NOT a terrible deal for a starter kit for $190. However if you can afford it, spend a bit more ~$250/260ish on the XMT itself (if found for $100), a better amp, and better quality accessories that will last longer and are just plain better.

XMT - $100
Snark SN-1 Tuner - $11
Stagg Gig Bag - $20
Cable 10ft. - $10
=
$257

Though the tuner is not 100% necessary if you have Rocksmith since you can tune in the game but that means you'll have to turn on your Xbox (especially with new strings and the tremolo) so you can subtract $11 if you want.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Got my Vendetta XMT last night from Guitar Center's Black Friday 15% off deal, picked up the Line 6 AMP at Best Buy (same price as Amazon,) and picked up the picks, cable, extra strings, and stand while I was there as well.

All told, I've spent less than $300 to get all of the goods that I need to get into the guitar.

Oh, and Rocksmith should be arriving tomorrow as well.

Can't wait to really start on it tonight.

#279 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16864 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

I want to see more of other peoples guitars!:applause:

These are the electrics in my collection. :D

#280 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3016 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Question about amps. Is the Ibanez GTA15R good if you can get it for $40 or is it better to get the Line 6 Spider IV at $99?
http://www.guitarcen...390-i1452655.gc

Skill levels:
Justin Bieber
noob
Easy
Medium
Hard
Expert
Asian kid on Youtube
Guitar God

Justin Bieber skill level, REALLY. Now I gotta work twice as hard , just to be called a noob.:lol:

XMT - $100
Snark SN-1 Tuner - $11
Stagg Gig Bag - $20
Cable 10ft. - $10

There hasn't been any talk about tuners but everyone should strongly consider picking one up. The in-game tuner won't help with any intonation problems.

Here's the one I bought
http://www.amazon.co...22683711&sr=8-5
Personally like the pass thru feature.

Just called two Gamestops near me and they had the game for Xbox 360 still for $49.99 (forgot to ask about PS3 but I'm figuring it's the same.)

Good to know it's still good in-store. I'll update the OP

#281 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

XMT - $100
Snark SN-1 Tuner - $11
Stagg Gig Bag - $20
Cable 10ft. - $10
=
$257

If I'm not mistaken, the amp you listed has a built in tuner as well so there's no need for that. And you can find a cheaper guitar strap and gig bag as well.

#282 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info. [snip]

Can't wait to really start on it tonight.

Awesome! I couldn't wait until after work so I went ahead and picked it up during my lunch break. Now I have the game and no guitar (that's coming tomorrow.)

If I'm not mistaken, the amp you listed has a built in tuner as well so there's no need for that. And you can find a cheaper guitar strap and gig bag as well.

I completely forgot about that! I've tried the tuner before and it works fine once you figure it out. And yes you can find cheaper guitar accessories (generic brands at GC) but I figured if someone wanted to pick up higher reviewed/hopefully better quality stuff that's easily accessible online then they have that option.

Question about amps. Is the Ibanez GTA15R good if you can get it for $40 or is it better to get the Line 6 Spider IV at $99?
http://www.guitarcen...390-i1452655.gc

Justin Bieber skill level, REALLY. Now I gotta work twice as hard , just to be called a noob.:lol:

There hasn't been any talk about tuners but everyone should strongly consider picking one up. The in-game tuner won't help with any intonation problems.

Here's the one I bought
http://www.amazon.co...22683711&sr=8-5
Personally like the pass thru feature.

Good to know it's still good in-store. I'll update the OP

You can't really argue with $40 for a practice amp and apparently it's a pretty good amp as well. It doesn't have any of the cool features/effects that the Line 6 Spider has though. So if having a bunch of effects is important to you then spring for the Line 6 if your budget allows. Of course you always have the option to get the Ibanez amp and then add a multi-effects pedal later down the road. Those typically can run from $50-$200+ and way up (such as these Multi-effects pedal (Amazon.com))
EDIT: Just noticed that some of the those in that search are pedal effects boards which are used to combine/chain single effect pedals together so just be sure you do research.

Lol. Nah I'm sure most people start as a noob... and oh yeah I guess Jessica Black would be below Bieber... but no one except her is at that level!

As far as the Korg tuner goes, those are extremely great as well. I have the chromatic version of the one you linked. And after thinking about it that would be better over the Snark for most people. Although I do love the Snark SN2 - I wanted something different, I like that it's a clip and I like the colored screen. :)

#283 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

I completely forgot about that! I've tried the tuner before and it works fine once you figure it out. And yes you can find cheaper guitar accessories (generic brands at GC) but I figured if someone wanted to pick up higher reviewed/hopefully better quality stuff that's easily accessible online then they have that option.

True, you don't want to skip out on quality just to save a few bucks. There are some good brands that are cheap as well though. Planet Waves is one of them. You can look around for a bundle if anything. A couple of years ago I got a Fender 15W amp with a 10ft cable, a gig bag, a guitar stand, a set of picks, a tuner, a winder/string cutter, and a set of polishing/maintaining gels with a treated cloth -- all for 50 bucks. Can't get much better deal than that. ;)

#284 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3016 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

You can't really argue with $40 for a practice amp and apparently it's a pretty good amp as well. It doesn't have any of the cool features/effects that the Line 6 Spider has though. So if having a bunch of effects is important to you then spring for the Line 6 if your budget allows.

Yeah, the $40 price got me interested. Just concerned since the only reviews I found were the 3 on GCs site.I had originally decided to wait until I improve. But this is tempting, especially since it's a special event sale at a store opening so it's a one-off chance to get a new one at this price.

Of course the Spider amp has a rebate to download free software. Decisions, decisions

How far down does this rabbit hole go?

#285 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

If you're still wondering, it's time for new strings. Even if you haven't played it much, the strings are probably no good. Depending on where you live, even just leaving a guitar sitting inside the house will cause the strings to oxidize in a matter of months. If you play the guitar regularly, and depending on the brand/type, strings usually last and sound "new" for 1 to a few months.

#286 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   237 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:17 AM

You can't go wrong with Line 6 gear. I bought my brother one of those Spider amps last year & he loves it. I've got a POD XT Live I bought from a friend that I wouldn't give up for twice what I paid for it. They're just great quality, amazing sounding products. Happy hunting & picking.

#287 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4853 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

Needed a filler for a lightning deal on Amazon, picked this up ... I know it's cheap but will it be ok for a starter guitar or should I cancel it and get something a bit better for a strap?

http://www.amazon.co...22710196&sr=1-1

#288 SkylineChili4Me   CAG with Cheese, Please! CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

SkylineChili4Me

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

These are the electrics in my collection. :D

Nice gear! Is that Strat an American? I just ordered a MIM Fender Strat to learn on - unfortunately couldn't do an American with the lefty markup. Wondered about your experiences with either. Thanks!

#289 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

Needed a filler for a lightning deal on Amazon, picked this up ... I know it's cheap but will it be ok for a starter guitar or should I cancel it and get something a bit better for a strap?

It's fine. A strap is a strap lol they'll all work unless you want fancy materials on it like leather or to have fancy colors and stuff on it. If you're just a beginner and looking to learn you shouldn't worry about how the strap looks. Wait until you're good enough to play gigs for that ;)

#290 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16864 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

It's a cheap strap, but it will hold the guitar just fine. Just watch out for the material surrounding the strap button holes to start to wear out. When this happens, your guitar can slip right out with too much movement, leaving you diving to catch it before it crashes to the floor. That's why some players prefer these.

http://www.amazon.co..._bs_486457011_1

Or even one of these (I used to have one, and while it worked as advertised, even the plastic on this eventually wore out and broke).

http://www.amazon.co...22717510&sr=1-4

Nice gear! Is that Strat an American? I just ordered a MIM Fender Strat to learn on - unfortunately couldn't do an American with the lefty markup. Wondered about your experiences with either. Thanks!

Thanks! No, it's a Mexican Strat. I bought it when I graduated from high school, and $300 was all I could afford at the time. It's still a nice guitar though, and plays very well. I doubt you'll be disappointed with yours. Fender makes good stuff, and just being a legitimate Fender...and not their lesser Squier brand will give you a moderate step up in quality.

My best guitar isn't even pictured though. That's my Martin D-35. Now THAT one was pricey, lol. :)

Edited by n8rockerasu, 01 December 2011 - 05:35 AM.

#291 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks! No, it's a Mexican Strat. I bought it when I graduated from high school, and $300 was all I could afford at the time. It's still a nice guitar though, and plays very well. I doubt you'll be disappointed with yours. Fender makes good stuff, and just being a legitimate Fender...and not their lesser Squier brand will give you a moderate step up in quality.

Not to try and butt heads here or anything, as Fender really is a great company, but I beg to differ there. The higher end Standard Series Squier Stratocasters (boy that's a mouthful) are not "lesser" or inferior in any way, especially to a Mexican made Strat. You can find a very nice one and if you really are picky you can put in a humbucker pickup and get a nice full sound out of it.

Anyway, for someone who's a beginner and just starting out, I wouldn't necessarily drive them away from a Squier. They'll still get that Fender sound at a lower price.

#292 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16864 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

Not to try and butt heads here or anything, as Fender really is a great company, but I beg to differ there. The higher end Standard Series Squier Stratocasters (boy that's a mouthful) are not "lesser" or inferior in any way, especially to a Mexican made Strat. You can find a very nice one and if you really are picky you can put in a humbucker pickup and get a nice full sound out of it.

Anyway, for someone who's a beginner and just starting out, I wouldn't necessarily drive them away from a Squier. They'll still get that Fender sound at a lower price.

Well, yeah...but that definitely wasn't the case in 2001 (when I bought mine). The production quality on the Squiers wasn't quite as good back then. Even now, I don't know that I'd argue FOR a Squier over a Mexican Strat...unless it's a matter of cost. In that case, sure, pick up anything that will get you playing. Honestly, there are a lot of things I like about my Ibanez more than my Strat (thinness of the neck for example). And I only paid like $200 for that.

My first guitar was a Hohner Countryman acoustic that I got from Mars Music (anybody remember them? They were bought out by Sam Ash about 10 years ago) for $100. The biggest selling point for it was that it had a Mahogany body as opposed to that Nato wood that most shitty guitars are made from (every Johnson guitar ever made says "hello").

Anyway, yeah, for beginners, there's definitely a line between investment and quality. You don't want to spend so much that if you don't stick with it, you'll be angry. But you also don't want to be so cheap that you buy a crappy guitar and sound worse than you are, to the point that it's discouraging. I'm sure most people in the thread are basing their decisions on looks or brand recognition more than what type of wood the guitar is made from or what electronics are in it though.

#293 menikmati   Isolation, self-damnation CAGiversary!   3549 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Just received the game earlier this week and I've been alternating between my Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter C-1 Classic.
Spoiler

#294 folkmojo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   142 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Personally, I don't like amps that have a "sound" or a ton of effects built in. I like a nice clean sounding amp that faithfully reproduces the tone of the guitar. Then I layer my effects through pedals over that.

That said, you can't buy one of those for $40 bucks and separate effect pedals get expensive.

It is something to think about as you learn your instrument and decide you want to invest more in your gear.

Just promise me none of you will be one of those jack asses with a $1000 dollar guitar who plays it through a $150 dollar amp.

#295 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, the $40 price got me interested. Just concerned since the only reviews I found were the 3 on GCs site.I had originally decided to wait until I improve. But this is tempting, especially since it's a special event sale at a store opening so it's a one-off chance to get a new one at this price.

Of course the Spider amp has a rebate to download free software. Decisions, decisions

How far down does this rabbit hole go?

I say if you're unsure and you have an extra $60 (that's one full-priced game) just go for the Line 6. If it turns out you hate learning guitar you can turn around and return/sell it even though it's a hassle.

As a side note, does anyone here ever find themselves calculating the cost of something by comparing it to video games (or other electronics?) I do it all the time... Man, that traffic tickets cost $300? That's like 5 games!

And yeah... like most hobbies whether video games, musical instruments, sports, firearms, et al one can dive deep into a whole new (and potentially extremely expensive) world.

I was also looking at this strap (it was $7 from Amazon just yesterday) and it'll be fine, like others have said watch for signs of wear and tear then replace it with another one when you can.

Just received the game earlier this week and I've been alternating between my Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter C-1 Classic.

Spoiler

First, nice guitars! Second, how do you like Rocksmith? I'm figuring you already have a background in guitar since you have two nice ones. Also, I need more money to spend on all my hobbies!

#296 The Acacia Strain   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

The Acacia Strain

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Since we're sharing guitars, this is my pride and joy. Ivory inlay Schecter Hellraiser C7.

Posted Image

Heres my third, diamond inlay Schecter Hellraiser, I think.. I can't remember the name exactly.

Posted Image

Here is my second guitar, it's a white Ibanez RG. I wish I could tell you the model number but Ibanez tends to make those ones you can't remember.

Posted Image

All I did this summer and fall was play shows. It was nice. Not going to post pictures of my first guitar, because everyone has that guitar they're ashamed of. I also got an acoustic.

#297 The Acacia Strain   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

The Acacia Strain

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Personally, I don't like amps that have a "sound" or a ton of effects built in. I like a nice clean sounding amp that faithfully reproduces the tone of the guitar. Then I layer my effects through pedals over that.

That said, you can't buy one of those for $40 bucks and separate effect pedals get expensive.

It is something to think about as you learn your instrument and decide you want to invest more in your gear.

Just promise me none of you will be one of those jack asses with a $1000 dollar guitar who plays it through a $150 dollar amp.

Tube amps are the only way to go. Never buy a Line 6 if you want to be taken seriously.

#298 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yeah I agree with everything you said.
The Line 6 is a really good practice/starter amp and that's where most of us are at right now as far as skill and budget.

Once one learns their instrument and then decides to invest in better, more expensive equipment then that's a whole 'nother conversation and there are better forums out there dedicated to that (not trashing on CAG in anyway.)

Also, I promise. A while back at Guitar Center, I saw this guy there who was buying a ~$2000 guitar and he was talking to the sales guy and made it very clear that he had many more like it at home. He also said that it would look great on his wall with the rest of his collection. This is the same guy who about 15 minutes earlier was demoing the guitar like someone who didn't know how to play more than a few chords, if even that. I say people can spend their money however they like, even on guitars they don't know how to play because they can be pieces of art. But please don't act like a pretentious douchebag when you do. {/end rant long story]

#299 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3542 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Tube amps are the only way to go. Never buy a Line 6 if you want to be taken seriously.

I appreciate all that you've added to the thread, but comments like this really turn me off.

I'm looking to have fun and try something that I've never done before and you're telling us that we're never going to be taken seriously because we bought a single piece of a equipment. It just comes off a bit douchey.

You'll have to forgive us for picking up something that is an entry level piece of equipment that allows us to play around with some of the effects that more expensive equipment will give us later.

I'm very happy with the Line 6 that I picked up yesterday as it gave me the chance to tune my guitar as well as access their online training site that gave me some lessons to take before I dive into Rocksmith.

Again, I thank you for all of your comments suggestions in the thread.

#300 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yep - and NEVER buy a crappy, imperfect guitar that a noted guitar maker wouldn't use, modify it with a cheap humbucker in the bridge position and then think that you're going to become some kind of guitar God. I mean, really, who could be so fucking stupid???

Maybe this guy????

Posted Image

Buy what you want. There's nothing wrong with starting cheap with an amp that gives you a few effects and moving up if you really like playing. There will be plenty of time to pick up new gear as you get older and better. The important thing is having your hands on the guitar and playing what you feel.