Penn State Rape Scandal

IRHari

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/usa-crime-coach-idUSN1E7A90SQ20111111

STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov 10 (Reuters) - Penn State University struggled to stem the damage on Thursday from a sex abuse scandal that ended the 46-year career of football coach Joe Paterno, one of the most revered U.S. sports figures.
Paterno, 84, was fired late on Wednesday after it was revealed he was told in 2002 that his former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky engaged in allegedly sexually inappropriate behavior with a young boy in a campus locker room. While Paterno told his boss, he did not call the police.
NBC News, citing sources, reported on Thursday night hat Paterno had hired prominent Washington criminal defense lawyer J. Sedgwick Sollers. Paterno has not been charged with any crimes in the Sandusky case.

What does everyone think about this?

I think one interesting portion of the case is the fact that Sandusky left in 1999. He supposedly didn't get any job offers after that. A guy who won tons of prestigious awards for his work at PSU got no job offers. Pretty suspicious, it makes me feel like more people outside of PSU had some inkling of what was going on, doesn't make sense why he wouldn't get any job offers.

1999 was around the same time the investigation first started, so I would find it very hard to believe if that didn't have anything to do with Sandusky's retirement. I am guessing Paterno failed to do anything because Sandusky was a longtime friend, and the University felt it would ruined their reputation.

Considerable rumors floating around that Sandusky's "Second Mile" foundation was actually pimping out the young boys to wealthy donors. This is probably going to get a LOT worse before it gets better.

I'm a Penn State grad and a little exhausted from discussing this and all of the media coverage, but I'll do my best to summarize succinctly:

This all comes down to who knew what, when they knew it, and what they did about it. I believe, based on all of the facts we know at this point, that many of the coaches and staff (including McQueary and JoePa) knew enough about the situation that they should have stopped it, and should be held accountable as such. That said, I have strong personal beliefs that one should wait until enough facts are in before deciding someone is guilty of something (in this case, inaction on the part of McQueary, JoePa, and others).

Given my opinion, I think the best course of action would have been for the Board of Trustees to suspend those that are involved in the investigation until this matter is resolved (which I suppose could take months/years).

A couple of other points:

It is my belief that there is more to the Board of Trustees' decision than meets the eye. 1) There has been significant pressure on JoePa in recent years to step down; a number of board members wanted him gone years ago. 2) McQueary is still on the coaching staff. There is no logical explanation for firing Paterno and retaining McQueary. Either they both stay or they both go. 3) I have knowledge of one of the board members and his position.

Last point: The student body isn't as unified in their support for Paterno as the media suggests. There is more confusion, disappointment, and pain than is being covered in the media. We are not all burning cars and displaying blind support for the coaching staff. Again, I and nearly everyone I talk to believe that a blind eye was turned to these terrible acts. I am holding out some hope that this belief is wrong and I am anxious to hear more facts as they come out.

According to the grand jury report, which can be found at the link below, Paterno was told by a distraught McQueary that something sexual had happened between Sandusky and a 10-year old boy in the Penn State locker room (Page 7 of the report). To me, this seems pretty cut and dried that Paterno had a higher moral duty to report this to police in addition to his superiors, and he should be held accountable. That said, I can imagine a series of events taking place that could leave Paterno in the clear: he tells his superiors, his superiors sweep it under the rug, tell JoePa that they investigated and found nothing, and intentionally mislead Paterrno. This is a possibility, but there is so much smoke elsewhere in the reports that it really seems like a blind eye was turned to the situation. I am trying to wait for more facts to come in. If a blind eye was turned to all this, which is what I believe happened, those responsible deserve all that's coming to them and then some.

Most alumni and students are hurt, confused, and have mixed emotions and conflicting beliefs about what happened. One thing we are all in agreement on is that what happened to the children in this story is tragic and they are the true victims here. That part is undeniable, which is why so much effort is seeming to go into this other part of the story: who knew what, when, and what they did about it.

Grand jury report:
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

That kid in the video above is so right. It's a shame that it seems like the loudest students are the biggest idots. People that are being rational are not the ones out rioting; they're at home doing things like posting on video game message boards.

The way people are reacting to this makes it seem like Joe Paterno was the one doing the molesting. Kind of ridiculous. Keep seeing statements that he did nothing even though he did (tell his boss). Don't see how that is grounds for being fired since the university should have known afterward. Seems like he was fired just to salvage some of Penn state's rep.

Just basing this off what I've read as I had no idea who Paterno was before the recent news since I don't follow college sports much.

[quote name='Kaelestis']The way people are reacting to this makes it seem like Joe Paterno was the one doing the molesting. Kind of ridiculous. Keep seeing statements that he did nothing even though he did (tell his boss). Don't see how that is grounds for being fired since the university should have known afterward. Seems like he was fired just to salvage some of Penn state's rep.

Just basing this off what I've read as I had no idea who Paterno was before the recent news since I don't follow college football much.[/QUOTE]

Like I said in the other topic I won't be surprise if the University found out Paterno knew what was going on back in 1999, several years before the incident.

This is a sad story... JoePa had enough power to do more than he did... I'm not surprised to see that Penn St. let him go. When one has the power to stop the sexual abuse of children and he does not act with full force, then there is no excuse...

E.g., if JoePa was just a low ranking peon, I could have understood him not pushing the issue... but, he was very powerful... and could have made a positive impact, but failed to do so... poor form!

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So the students started a riot because the football coach got fired?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to America.

These fucking kids. The occupy movement is fucking awesome but this shit just reminds me that much of the upcoming generation still contains a bunch of assholes.

[quote name='camoor']Welcome to America.

These fucking kids. The occupy movement is fucking awesome but this shit just reminds me that much of the upcoming generation still contains a bunch of assholes.[/QUOTE]

FWIW I'm not a big fan of people camping out for weeks at a time and disrupting traffic in my downtown but if it works for you then fine.

I just don't understand why it took so long for this to develop. I mean we're going back to 1999. Why didn't someone step forward before this? Why are the victims rallying now?

Also why does Joe Paterno have to go to the police? He went to a superior. Although we'd prefer he was the whistleblower hasn't he met his obligation by reporting to someone in a higher position of power then himself? Or is he legally obligated to go to he police?

Child abuse, especially of a sexual nature is as heinous of a crime as their is so don't take it the wrong way but we've progressed a lot as a society in the last 12 years. Believei it or not their was a time not too long ago when looking the other way was borderline acceptable (Catholic Church anyone?).

I just think it is unfair that Joe Paterno should have to take the majority of the blame here. I've yet to see where it is written in the report that he molested any kids or witnessed any of the sexual crimes.

I'm not seeing anything anywhere indicating Paterno is taking the majority of the blame.

I agree that it is odd that McQuery wasn't let go but Paterno was. McQuery was supposedly the one who SAW the rape happening and he did nothing, just walked out and told his dad about it.

Supposedly during tomorrows game he'll be present, but up in the press box b/c they fear for his safety.

[quote name='IRHari']I'm not seeing anything anywhere indicating Paterno is taking the majority of the blame.

I agree that it is odd that McQuery wasn't let go but Paterno was. McQuery was supposedly the one who SAW the rape happening and he did nothing, just walked out and told his dad about it.

Supposedly during tomorrows game he'll be present, but up in the press box b/c they fear for his safety.[/QUOTE]

McQuery told Paterno about it. I think the problem is Paterno and the school might know something in 1999, which lead to Sandusky's retirement.

Sports are the new American religion. We are not a Christian nation we are a sports loving nation. The Supreme Court makes Corporations people "rabble rabble rabble". A football coach is fired or your favorite team loses the big game "flip that mother fucking cop car!".

Edit - Wait wait wait.....he fucked a kid? I had no clue what the guy did because I just heard "sports" and tuned out. I just saw the Daily show segment where they said he fucked a bunch of young boys. Seriously? Seriously? And people fucking rioted? Man Jesus Christ...I figured he had just made passes at some 20 year old inappropriately or maybe committed a sexual assault. But fucking kids. Ok this officially proves it, sports really are the new religion because people have went so crazy over them now as to be ok with someone fucking children. Any time people join together like a cult and then turn and look the other way when people start fucking kids...you know your dealing with religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Sports are the new American religion. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, you gotta admit that Penn State handled this like a regular bunch of Catholics.

[quote name='JJSP']Considerable rumors floating around that Sandusky's "Second Mile" foundation was actually pimping out the young boys to wealthy donors. This is probably going to get a LOT worse before it gets better.[/QUOTE]

What's the number one cause of child molestation in America?

Sexy Children.

[quote name='GBAstar']FWIW I'm not a big fan of people camping out for weeks at a time and disrupting traffic in my downtown but if it works for you then fine.

I just don't understand why it took so long for this to develop. I mean we're going back to 1999. Why didn't someone step forward before this? Why are the victims rallying now?

Also why does Joe Paterno have to go to the police? He went to a superior. Although we'd prefer he was the whistleblower hasn't he met his obligation by reporting to someone in a higher position of power then himself? Or is he legally obligated to go to he police?

Child abuse, especially of a sexual nature is as heinous of a crime as their is so don't take it the wrong way but we've progressed a lot as a society in the last 12 years. Believei it or not their was a time not too long ago when looking the other way was borderline acceptable (Catholic Church anyone?).

I just think it is unfair that Joe Paterno should have to take the majority of the blame here. I've yet to see where it is written in the report that he molested any kids or witnessed any of the sexual crimes.[/QUOTE]

If they caught this asshole stealing and fired him because they wanted to avoid a scandal, well I have no issue with that. Because in that case they were the victims and really it's their business.

But this crosses the line in a big fucking way. This assistant coach wasn't accused of getting caught with his hand in the petty cash box, we're talking about a credible accusation of one of the worst crimes a person can commit. You can't allow the institution to just brush that under the rug and send him on his way.

And last I saw Paterno was decidely not taking a majority of the blame. The school's President was also unceremoniously fired. And Sandusky is charged with 40 counts.

TLDR - when you witness a heinous crime, as a ethical human being your absolute minimal obligation is to report it to the nearest law enforcement. It's why society allows prosecutors to force people to testify and why this serves as legitimate grounds for firing.

I really don't understand the whole hero worship thing in sports... I mean, I really love sports... both playing them and watching them... and as a child, I admit that I considered certain players and coaches to be heroes... but the stopped in my teens! I mean, I still watch sports, but it's not that big of a deal to me anymore... e.g, there's no basketball, and I've barely noticed...

It is sad to see grown men consider sports to be a religion and to participate in such hero worship...

[quote name='BigT']I really don't understand the whole hero worship thing in sports... I mean, I really love sports... both playing them and watching them... and as a child, I admit that I considered certain players and coaches to be heroes... but the stopped in my teens! I mean, I still watch sports, but it's not that big of a deal to me anymore... e.g, there's no basketball, and I've barely noticed...

It is sad to see grown men consider sports to be a religion and to participate in such hero worship...[/QUOTE]

Imagine trying to explain it to the parents of these kids. It's ok that he assisted in allowing your child to be raped.....but only because he lead us to the finals...otherwise O I would totally agree that sodomizing your child was wrong.

[quote name='camoor']If they caught this asshole stealing and fired him because they wanted to avoid a scandal, well I have no issue with that. Because in that case they were the victims and really it's their business.

But this crosses the line in a big fucking way. This assistant coach wasn't accused of getting caught with his hand in the petty cash box, we're talking about a credible accusation of one of the worst crimes a person can commit. You can't allow the institution to just brush that under the rug and send him on his way.

And last I saw Paterno was decidely not taking a majority of the blame. The school's President was also unceremoniously fired. And Sandusky is charged with 40 counts.

TLDR - when you witness a heinous crime, as a ethical human being your absolute minimal obligation is to report it to the nearest law enforcement. It's why society allows prosecutors to force people to testify and why this serves as legitimate grounds for firing.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I don't give a shit how many football games Joe Paterno has won or how long he has been coaching. His inaction is inexcusable and he deserves everything coming to him along with Sandusky and everyone else involved.

But this crosses the line in a big ing way. This assistant coach wasn't accused of getting caught with his hand in the petty cash box, we're talking about a credible accusation of one of the worst crimes a person can commit. You can't allow the institution to just brush that under the rug and send him on his way.
Who was the assistant coach that got caught doing something? Sandusky wasn't an employee at Penn State at the time it happened. Or do you mean the GA that did nothing to stop it or report it to the Police.

It doesn't matter that Sandusky wasn't a coach. They were allowing him access to the facilities, access to kids etc. after apparently being aware of earlier allegations.

Probably the most sickening thing of this is that he still had an office and access to PSU facilities currently before his arrest despite the 1998 and 2002 allegations.

The multiple people being aware of it and never going to the authorities is already an outrage. That he also was still allowed around the facility and programs is just more salt in that wound. It wasn't just not reported, they also didn't do anything to Sandusky informally and let him stick around the program and facilities.

It's quite obvious that many here don't know enough about the story. If you're a middle manager [Joe Paterno] in a business and one of your employees tells you they saw something along the lines of a former employee (which sandusky was at the time, he had already retired [or been forced to]) do something inappropriate with a young boy (he was caught taking a shower NOT having sex.. I know still wrong) and you report it to your supervisor (The university president) WHY should you still be obligated to go to the police?

And not too long after that the police were involved anyways and the boys mother confronted Sandusky.

Why again should Joe Paterno be obligated to go to the police?

[quote name='dmaul1114']It doesn't matter that Sandusky wasn't a coach. They were allowing him access to the facilities, access to kids etc. after apparently being aware of earlier allegations.

Probably the most sickening thing of this is that he still had an office and access to PSU facilities currently before his arrest despite the 1998 and 2002 allegations.

The multiple people being aware of it and never going to the authorities is already an outrage. That he also was still allowed around the facility and programs is just more salt in that wound. It wasn't just not reported, they also didn't do anything to Sandusky informally and let him stick around the program and facilities.[/QUOTE]

This is what bothering me about McQueary, he would have to seen Sandusky after 2002 countless times and knew he was still hanging around the campus and facilities, but he never though about I really should go to the police or do something to bring attention to it?

[quote name='GBAstar']
Why again should Joe Paterno be obligated to go to the police?[/QUOTE]

Because he's a school employee and thus legally mandated to report suspected child abuse.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/manda.cfm#fn6

Professionals Required to Report

Approximately 48 States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands designate professions whose members are mandated by law to report child maltreatment.1 Individuals designated as mandatory reporters typically have frequent contact with children. Such individuals may include:

Social workers
Teachers and other school personnel
Physicians and other health-care workers
Mental health professionals
Child care providers
Medical examiners or coroners
Law enforcement officers

May fall under "child care providers" as well perhaps, since they were hosting/running summer football camps for kids.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']This is what bothering me about McQueary, he would have to seen Sandusky after 2002 countless times and knew he was still hanging around the campus and facilities, but he never though about I really should go to the police or do something to bring attention to it?[/QUOTE]

Yep. He was a grad assistant then, and now is an assistant coach. Putting two and two together, sounds like he was promoted and kept around to keep quiet.

Form what I've noticed over the years, few grad assistants go on to be assistant coaches at big time programs without going and coaching at a smaller program first.

Maybe there's nothing to that, but it's still suspicious for sure.

And absurd that he's still with the program--though at least he's not coaching this weekend. Though that was only because of threats he was receiving per the article I read earlier.

He's much more to blame than Paterno since he's the one that personally witnessed it, and then did nothing after the higher ups didn't act on his information.

[quote name='GBAstar']He did report it. To his boss, the University President.[/QUOTE]

True. I don't know enough about the law to say whether that is enough or not.

If it is enough, then the law is useless as it should require reporting directly to the authorities.

Which again puts most of the blame on the McQueary since he directly saw it and did nothing. But it also goes on Paterno, and whoever Paterno told etc. as they were aware of it and didn't report it.

Why again should Joe Paterno be obligated to go to the police?
He isn't, he heard it all second hand. I'm not going to go to the police if someone in my department tells me they are pretty sure they saw ______ happening, and tell the police that someone told me that they were pretty sure they saw something but I personally didn't have any proof/knowledge that pertained to the incident.

[quote name='perdition(troy']He isn't, he heard it all second hand. I'm not going to go to the police if someone in my department tells me they are pretty sure they saw ______ happening, and tell the police that someone told me that they were pretty sure they saw something but I personally didn't have any proof/knowledge that pertained to the incident.[/QUOTE]

What he should have done is told McQueary to go to the police. That's what I'd do if someone (be it a co-workers or whoever) came to me with that kind of info.

Instead he went to his superiors, and they apparently decided to cover it up and allow Sandusky to hang around to avoid a scandal. Now that's backfired on those who made that decision and the school is getting the blow back it deserves (since this went clear up to the president).

If it is enough, then the law is useless as it should require reporting directly to the authorities. Which again puts most of the blame on the McQueary since he directly saw it and did nothing. But it also goes on Paterno, and whoever Paterno told etc. as they were aware of it and didn't report it.
It's all common sense. REPORT IT. The GA was a shaq-fu MORON. Didn't stop it, report it, or follow up on it? COME ON. Paterno told the AD who got the VP in charge of the CAMPUS POLICE involved. They told Paterno that they took Sandusky's keys away. He isn't a cop, and he isn't a VP or Dean, he's a football coach, and I doubt he ever checked to see if anything was done about it because it had nothing to do with his football team, coaching staff, or anything else related to football.

Schools at this level of "prestige" are Very protective of their reputations and will go to extreme lengths to keep that reputation clean while pushing the boundaries of law and sometimes blatantly breaking it. Things like this are no surprise and somewhat of an "open secret." While it might not be known across the institution, it was certainly known by many in the department. Because of the dynamics, I doubt anyone would rat out the school/department because the people with the most invested can make or break you.

I'm guessing that the school pissed off the wrong person and this is why the story got out.

[quote name='perdition(troy']It's all common sense. REPORT IT. The GA was a shaq-fu MORON. Didn't stop it, report it, or follow up on it? COME ON. Paterno told the AD who got the VP in charge of the CAMPUS POLICE involved. They told Paterno that they took Sandusky's keys away. He isn't a cop, and he isn't a VP or Dean, he's a football coach, and I doubt he ever checked to see if anything was done about it because it had nothing to do with his football team, coaching staff, or anything else related to football.[/QUOTE]

Dude, come on, Sandusky used to be the defensive coach there, it had something to do with football. Hell, Sandusky was the heir apparent to Paterno until he decided to work more with his foundation, for obvious reasons.

What he should have done is told McQueary to go to the police. That's what I'd do if someone (be it a co-workers or whoever) came to me with that kind of info.Instead he went to his superiors, and they apparently decided to cover it up and allow Sandusky to hang around to avoid a scandal. Now that's backfired on those who made that decision and the school is getting the blow back it deserves (since this went clear up to the president).
How do you know he didn't tell him to go to the police at some point when the GA and his father went to Paterno's house? And Paterno isn't God, anyone with half a brain would have been stopping it in progress, and calling 911 or the campus police at the same time. Or calling them the next day. Or the next, regardless of what someone they worked with told them to do.

Meh. I just don't get why PSU fans care. Even with their fucked up priorities focused on football, they should be glad to get rid of that mushmouthed senile old man and not be paying $1.5 million to him to just be a figure head that can't even be on the sideline for games.

I get that he's a legend and all that crap. But sports is all "what have you done for me lately." I mean, sure it sucks that his legacy is getting tarnished because of this if you're a PSU fan. But he should have retired long ago.

He's not mostly to blame here, that falls on McQueary for doing nothing and likely taking promotions etc. to keep quiet, and the higher ups for sweeping it under the rug etc.

But even Paterno himself has said that he should have done more, so even he knows he had a moral (if not legal) obligation to have done more and made sure justice was done and that Sandusky couldn't victimize more kids.

[quote name='perdition(troy']How do you know he didn't tell him to go to the police at some point when the GA and his father went to Paterno's house? And Paterno isn't God, anyone with half a brain would have been stopping it in progress, and calling 911 or the campus police at the same time. Or calling them the next day. Or the next, regardless of what someone they worked with told them to do.[/QUOTE]

Fair point. We'll have to wait for the trial etc. to hear from Paterno on exactly what McQueary told him, and what he told McQueary and his bosses etc.

But that JoePa himself is saying that he should have done more is pretty damning. Attorney's for the victims will have a field day with that comment during the civil suit against PSU.

I do agree that Paterno isn't most at blame here. That falls on McQueary and the AD/President who orchestrated the coverup, let Sandusky stay around as an Emeritus Professor, host camps in their facilities where rapes apparently continued etc.

But Paterno was in the loop, did too little by his own admission, and thus deserves what he got.

If PSU wants to start repairing their image, they really need to clean house. Pretty much wipe out the AD administration, the football staff etc. after this season and start from scratch with new people. At the very least get rid of everyone that was around when the rapes and coverup were going on.

[quote name='GBAstar']It's quite obvious that many here don't know enough about the story. If you're a middle manager [Joe Paterno] in a business and one of your employees tells you they saw something along the lines of a former employee (which sandusky was at the time, he had already retired [or been forced to]) do something inappropriate with a young boy (he was caught taking a shower NOT having sex.. I know still wrong) and you report it to your supervisor (The university president) WHY should you still be obligated to go to the police?

And not too long after that the police were involved anyways and the boys mother confronted Sandusky.

There is a distinction between a legal obligation and a moral obligation. Paterno (apparently) fulfilled his legal obligation by reporting it to his superiors (which, of course, is laughable - everyone knows there is no one at Penn State "superior" to Joe Paterno) but he completely failed with respect to his moral obligations and he will be punished accordingly by the public scorn and having to live with this disgrace for the rest of his life.

It's not about whether he should have gone to the police at that point in time. At the very least he should have followed up with the university president - "Hey Spanier, what ever happened with that whole thing with Sandusky in the shower with the 10 year old boy?" "Oh, Joe - you know, it's just Jerry being Jerry." How could this never come up???

Paterno was apparently fine with a suspected (and seemingly known) child molester hanging around campus and using the facilities and having access to children and just didn't appear to care because he was either a giant coward or more concerned with football than the well-being of children. Inexcusable.

[quote name='GBAstar']He did report it. To his boss, the University President.[/QUOTE]

What JoePa is saying is that he only heard foundling, and not rape which is questionable. And like some people believe the cover up is even before this incident.

[quote name='GBAstar']It's quite obvious that many here don't know enough about the story. If you're a middle manager [Joe Paterno] in a business and one of your employees tells you they saw something along the lines of a former employee (which sandusky was at the time, he had already retired [or been forced to]) do something inappropriate with a young boy (he was caught taking a shower NOT having sex.. I know still wrong) and you report it to your supervisor (The university president) WHY should you still be obligated to go to the police?

Sorry but JoePa is not a middle manager. As a coach is a mandated reported.

[quote name='perdition(troy']He isn't, he heard it all second hand. I'm not going to go to the police if someone in my department tells me they are pretty sure they saw ______ happening, and tell the police that someone told me that they were pretty sure they saw something but I personally didn't have any proof/knowledge that pertained to the incident.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. He still need to report it if he believes McQueary to be a creditable source.

[quote name='perdition(troy']How do you know he didn't tell him to go to the police at some point when the GA and his father went to Paterno's house? And Paterno isn't God, anyone with half a brain would have been stopping it in progress, and calling 911 or the campus police at the same time. Or calling them the next day. Or the next, regardless of what someone they worked with told them to do.[/QUOTE]

Because we have access to the court report and no one was ever told to go to the police.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. I don't know enough about the law to say whether that is enough or not.

If it is enough, then the law is useless as it should require reporting directly to the authorities.

Which again puts most of the blame on the McQueary since he directly saw it and did nothing. But it also goes on Paterno, and whoever Paterno told etc. as they were aware of it and didn't report it.[/QUOTE]

Mandated reporter is to report suspected child abuse. Most of the time it is not clear if there is any abused and it make sense to discuss with a supervisor. Most mandated reporter will not file a report without discussing it with someone else first.

[quote name='Javery']
Paterno was apparently fine with a suspected (and seemingly known) child molester hanging around campus and using the facilities and having access to children and just didn't appear to care because he was either a giant coward or more concerned with football than the well-being of children. Inexcusable.[/QUOTE]

My take with Paterno is that he took what McQueary told him and did what he was legally suppose to do. However when it comes to why he didn't morally do more is because I believe he was in denial that there was no way that his trusted friend for years Sandusky could have done what McQueary had witnessed. He went with what he wanted to believe and not with what the real issue was and that is what is wrong.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']My take with Paterno is that he took what McQueary told him and did what he was legally suppose to do. However when it comes to why he didn't morally do more is because I believe he was in denial that there was no way that his trusted friend for years Sandusky could have done what McQueary had witnessed. He went with what he wanted to believe and not with what the real issue was and that is what I find wrong.[/QUOTE]

That is probably accurate, sadly.

You're wrong about what Sandusky was doing with the kid. McQueary testified under oath that he saw Sandusky raping the kid in the shower. Other incidents may have only involved a shower, but not this one.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']You're wrong about what Sandusky was doing with the kid. McQueary testified under oath that he saw Sandusky raping the kid in the shower. Other incidents may have only involved a shower, but not this one.[/QUOTE]

I heard several others on political/news podcasts say as much today as well. A reporter on the Diane Rehm show pretty much flat out said sodomy. Not saying this 100% proves anything, just that its what is being reported.

kid fucking = execution

note that sodomizing is (by law) not necessarily anal penetration as sodomy laws also include oral sex.

either way

kid fucking = execution

[quote name='perdition(troy']It's all common sense. REPORT IT. The GA was a shaq-fu MORON. Didn't stop it, report it, or follow up on it? COME ON. Paterno told the AD who got the VP in charge of the CAMPUS POLICE involved. They told Paterno that they took Sandusky's keys away. He isn't a cop, and he isn't a VP or Dean, he's a football coach, and I doubt he ever checked to see if anything was done about it because it had nothing to do with his football team, coaching staff, or anything else related to football.[/QUOTE]

You guys do understand that in 1999 when this allegedly took place Paterno was still 70+ years of age. It's not like was in his 40's, 50's or 60's... he was 70 something. You're telling me that doesn't play a role here.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Pretty sure that it is in the grand jury report that McCreary said he saw Sandusky sodomizing a boy.[/QUOTE]

Parts that I've read said that he was showering with the boy. He might have been doing more but in that part particular with Victim 1 it only made reference to me that the Grad asssistant walked in on him showering with a boy.

bread's done
Back