As a ps3 owner, make some arguments on why I should also have a 360

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Thinking of getting a 360 if I trade some stuff in at gamestop. That or a wii.

I like the espn app on the 360, means I wouldn't have to hook up my iPad to my tv.

Anything else is fair game. Don't really care about the kinect btw.

Almost everything. And I am not being a dick, I have both platforms and I can go months without every even thinking about turning on my PS3.

XBL is simply better in every way, friends list that are quick and easy, the ability to drop in and out of others games quick and easy, group chat functions, kinect intergration is coming along nicely. The apps are working well but the PS3 has a full browser so you got most of that already. Plus very little fear of getting hacked.

Some of those things the PS3 might actually have by now, like I said I barely turn mine on and I kinda feel bad that I got it.

Short of wanting to play MS exclusives there aren't many reasons to own a 360 unless you intend to get Xbox Live. XBL is the game changer. The 360 is my primary gaming console because I enjoy live and most of my friends own one.

Depends what kind of games you like. For me, it's simple:

1 reason alone = Mass Effect 1. My favorite game of all time.
But, there's also:
Halo 3, Reach & Anniversary
Gears 1, 2, 3
Fable 2, 3
Lost Odyssey
Alan Wake
And, while there are some haters, I really like the Kinect, too.

Plus, Xbox Live and Xbox Live Arcade stomps all over PSN in every conceivable way.

[quote name='pippin']I would go with the Wii unless you're just dying to play the few xbox exclusives.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably gonna do that. cheaper and I'm not a fan of shelling out too much for online services.

[quote name='GUNNM']MGS HD collection[/QUOTE]
on ps3 also.

If you dont care about Kinect, get a Wii or just save your money. There's no real reason to own both a PS3 and a 360 unless:

A) You have a job/hobby where you review games
B) You just like owning tech gadgets
C) You only like "exclusive" games.

Seriously, there are more than enough "good" games on the PS3 to spend your time on. The 360 experience isnt much different than on the PS3. I know people say that XBL is so much better than PSN, but if you've been happy with PSN, I dont see a reason to pay into XBL unless it's to meet up with your friends.

Coincidentally, if you were a 360 owner looking to get a PS3, I'd make the same argument. There are way too many good games for either system than an average person has time to play. There is no real need to go chasing exclusives.

I'd say spend money on a PC rather than get another console. And this is coming from a mostly 'consoles-rule' type of snob. Also, I own both a 360 & PS3. I get about the same level of enjoyment from both. It's no real difference.

[quote name='ajumbaje']Thinking of getting a 360 if I trade some stuff in at gamestop. That or a wii.

I like the espn app on the 360, means I wouldn't have to hook up my iPad to my tv.

Anything else is fair game. Don't really care about the kinect btw.[/QUOTE]

I've owned my PS3 since 2008 and I was the biggest SONY fanboy until I got a job and decided to reward myself with an Xbox 360 about a year ago. Since I purchased my 360, I've probably put 20 hours into my PS3 in the past 18 months. And I used to play it everyday for at least 5 hours a day. There just isn't any comparison to Xbox Live and all of it's features. Hell, I just found out that we had Cloud Storage for over half a year and it's more than 3 times the storage capacity than what that rip-off crap PS+ has.

Are you people serious? A Wii over a 360? I mean, you all play games, right? Sure, Zelda and Mario are okay (i personally loathed Mario Galaxy and I was a huge Mario/Nintendo fan), but other than that what is there?

Plus, you can get a refurbed 360 for dirt cheap at gamestop.

Last thing, yes, you pay for some online services, but you get a lot of content for the money and are very good deals on XBL sub's all the time.

I've got both systems - and while I don't like shelling out $40/yr for XBL, I DO enjoy that all of my friends are on there, so that makes it worth the $40 (just buy it on sale someplace, no need to pay more than $40).

Was big into PS2, but never used the PS3 for anything more than exclusives - and for whatever reason MS won me over with the 360, to the point that I have 2 of them in my house.

At first it was Halo 3. Gears of War and Mass Effect. Bioshock (originally on 360 about a month earlier than PS3) and Alan Wake. Then finally euro-RPGs like Risen, Arcania and Divinity II, in addition to Culdcept Saga, of which I'm a big fan. If I was big into racing games, I know some folks prefer Forza to Gran Turismo. And with The Witcher 2 going 360 next year, that'd be enough reason for me to buy it if I hadn't already.

Those are games I, frankly, couldn't do without. Just like I couldn't do without Demon's Souls, which was what prompted me to buy a PS3. Then there was Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc., which all make me a happy gamer.

If there's anything you want to play on 360 that is 360-only, then grab a 360 - there are still some decent credit-deals to be had now. But if the small list of exclusives doesn't entice you, or you don't have a bunch of friends on XBL, you'll do just fine with the PS3.

And unless you're interested in playing Zelda: Skyward Sword or Xenoblade Chronicles, may as well skip the Wii for the Wii U...assuming it doesn't blow.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Are you people serious? A Wii over a 360? I mean, you all play games, right? Sure, Zelda and Mario are okay (i personally loathed Mario Galaxy and I was a huge Mario/Nintendo fan), but other than that what is there?
[/QUOTE]

It's more just the variety. A PS3 and 360 have a lot of overlap since there aren't many third party exclusives anymore. And most of the AAA exclusive are things like shooters and racing games--genres that are a dime a dozen on both consoles.

So I think having either a PS3 and a Wii or a 360 and a Wii (what I have currently) is the way to go as Nintendo's exclusive are very different.

Of course, that only matters if you still enjoy Nintendo's franchises. I do so I have a Wii just to play those, while doing most of my gaming on the 360. Games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby etc. are a nice change of pace from Gears, Halo, Mass Effect etc., where as a PS3 I'd just be playing more games in those same genres.

I've never seen any reason to get a PS3. The Uncharted games are the only exclusives I'd really like to play. All the other stuff like Resistance etc. I don't really care about since their are so many FPS games on the 360. And I don't dig JRPGs, Action games or Japanese developed games much in general.

I just got a PS3 (not even a month old) to play the exclusives and for the Blu Ray and I must say its no contest on the online experience as well. While I am thoroughly enjoying my PS3, everything is just more seemless and intgrated better on 360. There's all the reasons listed above, also I don't have to sort my demos/games manually, all XBLA games are required to have demos while PSN only has a handful, achievements don't have to refresh like trophies do, updates and installs alone would make me choose any cross platform game on 360.

If your alternative is getting a Wii, I say just get a Move. I got one and it is leagues ahead of the Wii's motion capabilities. Also its in HD. I haven't used a Wii Motion Plus but the Move is way better than anything I can remember. My Wii is strictly used as a retro gaming machine now. I'm also loving the HD Lightgun games on Move. I'm being nitpicky but Wii looks like crap on a nice TV.

Unless you're dying to play Nintendo exclusives I'd go for the 360 experience. Like I said, I am enjoying my PS3 and if you were to own 2 of the 3 I'd go PS3 and 360. Coming in late to either console is great, I'm picking up so many PS3 games for cheap. 360 games tend to go on sale more often so if you were playing catch up on 360 exclusives it can be done cheap as well.

[quote name='BingoBrown']The best two reasons are Halo and Gears of War. If that's not enough for you, I probably wouldn't bother.[/QUOTE]

I only agree with Gears of War being a major reason. So that's about it. Oh! And Alan Wake if you're interested in it.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']I only agree with Gears of War being a major reason. So that's about it.[/QUOTE]

You're entitled to be wrong.

As a lot of gamers, I have all three systems and the 360 gets roughly 95% of my playing time. In fact, if it weren't for The Show and the Uncharted series, it would probably be 99%.

If you grew up on Nintendo and enjoy their franchises, then the Wii may make sense, but overall it's gimmicky and mostly junk.

It really does come down to the exclusives, but there are some multi-platform titles that look or perform much better on the 360 (Ghostbusters and Skyrim come to mind). But then again, large games (gig-wise) that will fit on one Blu-ray will take multiple discs on the 360 (FF XIII anyone?).

You can routinely find a Live sub for $40 and for what you get I still think it's a steal. I'm in no way a fanboy because like I said I do own all three and to be honest I think Uncharted 2 is the best game I've played in the last 10 years. But overall I prefer Forza, Halo, and Gears of War to Gran Turismo, Resistance, and Socom.

I also think the controller is better for any game not relying on the d-pad.

Just my $0.02.

Do you have a gaming PC? If not get one. Most of the "Xbox 360 exclusives" I care about are also on PC. Since I upgraded my PC I rarely use my 360 (but PS3 still has some great exclusives).

Sony owns a lot more exclusives and IPs than the ones that are being listed. If you own a Wii and a PS3 you'll have a majority of exclusives covered.

The PC route for 3rd parties and some Microsoft IPs is also a good route, one I'm also considering to go.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Do you have a gaming PC? If not get one. Most of the "Xbox 360 exclusives" I care about are also on PC. Since I upgraded my PC I rarely use my 360 (but PS3 still has some great exclusives).[/QUOTE]

I doubt the OP's gonna shell out for a gaming PC when he's probably not even get a Xbox 360 cause of the price.

[quote name='MrPiggles']I doubt the OP's gonna shell out for a gaming PC when he's probably not even get a Xbox 360 cause of the price.[/QUOTE]

Yea. A Mac desktop for bootcamp isnt on my immediate buy list. I didnt mention that I have a 3ds. I'll probably bite on one of the gears 360s at sams club if they're still around in the next two-three weeks. I'm selling my old iPod and iPhone. That and fantasy football winnings should definitely be enough. That and I think the 3ds is enough Nintendo. I can wait for the wii u.

I own all three, and it's really just going to come down to where your friends play. If you don't have any friends, just flip a coin.

[quote name='MrPiggles']I doubt the OP's gonna shell out for a gaming PC when he's probably not even get a Xbox 360 cause of the price.[/QUOTE]

A decent gaming PC isn't nearly as expensive as most people think. If all you're looking for is to match 360 quality graphics and you're fine with playing some games on PS3 (the ones where the PC port is poorly optimized) then you can get that for less than $200.

Not going to rehash anything said already, but if you care about Rock Band at all, the 360 gets far better treatment as far as DLC. It gets all the regular RB store songs days ahead of the PS3, and only a small number of Rock Band Network releases are available on PS3.

As an owner of both systems, I have to say, just stick with the PS3. Better exclusives, blu-ray, and free online. The 360 was decent and it was nice when Mass Effect 2 was an exclusive but once the RROD had to be dealt with, twice, I lost interest. It was more trouble than it was worth (custom soundtracks were nice though, I think I miss that the most - but still not worth the console) and personally, I've always had a love/hate relationship with the 360 controller. Always liked the PS3/PS2 controllers better.

[quote name='ajumbaje']That and fantasy football winnings should definitely be enough.[/QUOTE]

You clearly didn't draft the QB in your avatar, or you wouldn't have any winnings.

Incidentally, my favorite GIF of all time:

438682546.gif

[quote name='EvilLizard']This thread feels like a trap to start console war thread.[/QUOTE]

Gratuitous Ackbar incoming.

Atrapitis.gif

Own all current gen systems. Wii is really limited by lack of GOOD online play (SSB brawl us laggy). I prefer my 360 due to Halo Reach and Gears of war 3. Thinking about trading in my ps3

I hate when people use the "XBL cost's $60 a year" bullshit excuse for not getting an Xbox. You're on CAG. If you've ever payed full price for a year of XBL you need to delete your account. It's on sale for $40 right now at BBY and knocks down to $20 when you purchase it with a console. Even if it wasn't on sale, it would be somewhere else for the same exact price.

Call me crazy but $40 a year for a online service that wipes the floor with PSN is worth it. More aps, a bigger community, better indie arcade titles, etc. Sorry for the rant, it's just a pet peeve.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I hate when people use the "XBL cost's $60 a year" bullshit excuse for not getting an Xbox. You're on CAG. If you've ever payed full price for a year of XBL you need to delete your account. It's on sale for $40 right now at BBY and knocks down to $20 when you purchase it with a console. Even if it wasn't on sale, it would be somewhere else for the same exact price.

Call me crazy but $40 a year for a online service that wipes the floor with PSN is worth it. More aps, a bigger community, better indie arcade titles, etc. Sorry for the rant, it's just a pet peeve.[/QUOTE]

You're on a website called CHEAP ASS Gamer, and you're surprised when people are cheap?

[quote name='BingoBrown']You clearly didn't draft the QB in your avatar, or you wouldn't have any winnings.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not. Actually didn't draft any Chargers. I think thats the first time I did that. I drafted Matt Schaub then picked up Tebow. I was set at rb and wr, so I could have technically used any qb and would've been fine

I had a 360 at one point. Actually both the PS3 and 360 I used were my brothers. I felt very VERY privileged knowing I could use both whenever I wanted and I had my own PSN account (free) and 3 months of XBL (just 3 months for free). I tried both, I enjoyed playing both, until my XBL ran out. If you want to ask me, "BUT WHICH ONE DID YOU PLAY MORE!?" I'm going to tell you I played the Xbox more. Why? Because I ONLY HAD 3 MONTHS OF ONLINE PLAY. After that, I told myself, "Okay XBL was okay, I don't give a crap about all these extra features people love about it because I have those on many other things (and much more quick AND useful) so to the PS3 it is." I ended up buying the PS3 a year later. I have MANY friends that have a 360, I know the ins & outs of both consoles. I will not pay for Live, but not because I'm cheap. Because it's ridiculous to accept it. Yeah I enjoyed the time I had with it, who wouldn't when it is free? But honestly the only argument 360 people truly have on me is that "more of your friends are on XBL!" Woah, bravo, you're so correct! But I don't care. If you want to feel like a social butterfly, go 360, if you play whatever to want whenever you want, go PS3. BTW, I had Plus on PS3 for free for quite a while. I didn't think it was worth it either, BUT I get a ton of deals WITHOUT IT. I don't need to pay a charge for XBL to buy something else. I get the deals I want on a PS3 so don't make the mistake of telling me the deals I've gotten are "stomped" by the 360. If I had to choose, I would choose a Wii, then hack it. You can do anything and everything with it just like a DS with a flashcart. 360s hacked are useless if to want to play online, you'll get perma banned. Not saying that should be a big point on your list of decisions though. Both sides should just enjoy what they chose. If any of you wanna go on Halo or Gears or whatever exclusive you have, come at me. I need very little practice on those games, which I can get at a friends. Every other game will be on PC.

Sorry to all if my argument was a little one sided. I should be more respectful. Dude, if you think you'll enjoy the 360 more than a Wii, then go for it! Try to make your own decision as to which you would use more out of those two. I wish everyone could try both and choose on their own (or love both the same lol). Just pick what you know you'd have more fun with, who knows you might end up liking that console more than the PS3. :O

As others have pointed out, there is a ton of overlap on both systems. So one does not *need* both systems to get a lot of great gaming this gen, however, there are still enough worthwhile exclusives for both systems that make them both worth owning IMO.

I enjoy all three consoles for different reasons, and if you have something that appeals to you from any of them, they are worth owning. Of course, PC gaming is the best choice of them all. :D

One point that hasn't been mentioned is that the 360 is a better media client than the PS3. If you have a Media Center PC it integrates really well, and there hasn't been a popular media format I've tried that the 360 can't handle. The PS3 has issues with some video formats, the 360 just plays whatever I throw at it.

[quote name='dark-star']One point that hasn't been mentioned is that the 360 is a better media client than the PS3. If you have a Media Center PC it integrates really well, and there hasn't been a popular media format I've tried that the 360 can't handle. The PS3 has issues with some video formats, the 360 just plays whatever I throw at it.[/QUOTE]

Thats odd cause I found the opposite to be true. My PS3 connects the same way as my xbox but i find a larger % music videos, which have the widest variety of media type on my computer, plays on my ps3. I havent tried playing anything recently, so this may have changed, but they both connect similarly except ps3 calls it a media server or something.

Honestly OP, if you can afford a 360 without regretting it, get it. Its different enough and has enough cheap exclusives to be worth playing (Halo, Fable, Gears, Mass effect 1). If you have to scrape together the money for one, its probably not a required purchase, especially when you calculate the gold membership, controllers, and various other accessories (HDMI, battery pack, HDD ect, ect). I have all 3 systems and honestly I do like the XBL over PSN for a few small reasons, but nothing big enough to buy a whole new system for.

[quote name='dark-star']One point that hasn't been mentioned is that the 360 is a better media client than the PS3. If you have a Media Center PC it integrates really well, and there hasn't been a popular media format I've tried that the 360 can't handle. The PS3 has issues with some video formats, the 360 just plays whatever I throw at it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tankass']Thats odd cause I found the opposite to be true. My PS3 connects the same way as my xbox but i find a larger % music videos, which have the widest variety of media type on my computer, plays on my ps3. I havent tried playing anything recently, so this may have changed, but they both connect similarly except ps3 calls it a media server or something.

Honestly OP, if you can afford a 360 without regretting it, get it. Its different enough and has enough cheap exclusives to be worth playing (Halo, Fable, Gears, Mass effect 1). If you have to scrape together the money for one, its probably not a required purchase, especially when you calculate the gold membership, controllers, and various other accessories (HDMI, battery pack, HDD ect, ect). I have all 3 systems and honestly I do like the XBL over PSN for a few small reasons, but nothing big enough to buy a whole new system for.[/QUOTE]

Original PS3 60gb owner at launch. Was a Sony person through and through, never even owned an XBOX. My GF (now wife), had a 360 and got me hooked. I've sinced upgraded to a PS3 Slim and Xbox 360 250gb as well. All my on line gaming is done on XBL now. Although I agree with the last post that the PS3 is WAY better for playing your OWN media content. With the new dash update, I do find that streaming media on the 360 has improved a lot, with Youtube, Netflix and upcoming video content as well (HBO, Comcast). I could live without either one of them, but I definitely prefer having both.

The Wii has been collecting dust for over 2 years now and now sits in the closet.

[quote name='EvilLizard']You're on a website called CHEAP ASS Gamer, and you're surprised when people are cheap?[/QUOTE]

Read the post again brah. I specifically stated that it can be found for cheap and there's no reason to complain about it being expensive.

I got a 360 as a gift and I set it up on Sunday. Right now I find it much easier to use the PS3 compared to the Xbox even though I'm still learning how to navigate.

For one thing, I don't like that you are using AA batteries to operate the controller. I heard there is some plug and play thing that is like the PS3's controller where you merely hook up a cord to recharge it, but really I think it's wrong that you are physically putting batteries into a controller.

Also, this dashboard is very cluttered with icons and ads (imagine the PSN store layout but with video integrated) . Because of this, it seems to slow down my internet connection (DSL) compared to when I go online when my PS3 is on.

I am learning some ways to make navigating easy and fun - the biggest being Kinect which I LOVE. The vocal commands work very well so you can go into an area without having to constantly push a button to go into settings or a game's submenu. The Home button on the controller works well or just as well as the Home button on a PS3. However, I wish you didn't have to use the Home button to read a message someone sends to you (if there is a menu or icon to do this, I would like to know where it is).

I'm also noticing that if I am downloading a demo and I play another game/demo, it will sometimes stop downloading whereas the PS3 will continue as long as I don't go into Netflix. I also wish I could enable auto shut off to more than an hour and less than six hours.

I don't hate the 360 by any means and it's getting easier to use the longer I spend time with it. But it does seem like it takes more work to get set up comfortably compared to the Playstation 3 ( meanwhile I still need points, a Gold account, and a hard drive).

[quote name='Cage017']
For one thing, I don't like that you are using AA batteries to operate the controller. I heard there is some plug and play thing that is like the PS3's controller where you merely hook up a cord to recharge it, but really I think it's wrong that you are physically putting batteries into a controller.
[/QUOTE]

Converstly, I vastly prefer that as I have a ton of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They last a long time and I find it more convenient to recharge those than have to plug a controller in to charge.

Batteries die, I always have a fresh pair I can swap in. PS3 battery dies I'd have to plug in and play wired as I don't tend to buy a 2nd controller since I rarely do local multiplayer anymore.

I have all 3 consoles and my xbox 360 does take up most of my time. But enough of that.. If you can afford an Xbox 360 then go for it, you won't regret it.
For some of you who continue to defend one particular system as being better I'm sure the console companies have sent you your checks. Since I haven't gotten my check, I'm not loyal to any console. I just like to play good games and no company is going to tell me what games I can play.

Just read the whole thread, and most everything's been covered. Both systems have killer exclusives and comparable features but the devil is in the details. The 360 may not do anything leap years better than PS3, but there are a LOT of little things it does better that add up to a more enjoyable experience. Since MS is a software company that is to be expected. It's easy to dismiss this or that, but it all adds up. Some of the things mentioned throughout the thread:

- custom soundtracks
- cross game chat/parties/game invites which is never going to happen on a PS3
- console updates take 5 minutes vs. hours on the PS3
- game updates take about 10-30 seconds vs. hours on the PS3
- demos for ALL XBLA games and most retail games
- Installing games is 100% optional
- replaceable batteries in the controller (wires are best left in last gen)
- every console comes with a headset. No wondering if your teammate will have a mic.
- Then you have subtle things like better DLC support for games like Rock Band.
- companies press far more copies of 360 games which leads to quicker price drops and clearance finds, more used copies, etc.
- multi-platform titles tend to run better on the 360 as it is usually the lead platform(there are rare exceptions)
- Kinect and voice commands are coming along nicely but isn't perfect
- sales on point cards seem to happen more often than the PSN counterparts
- lots of weekly XBLA deals

The list goes on. I'm sure there are a dozen more that we're missing as well and I'm sure some of these can be refuted but owning all three makes the little things stand out even more.

Lastly, anyone still clinging to the RROD argument is just trolling at this point.

[quote name='dotCody']Hell, I just found out that we had Cloud Storage for over half a year and it's more than 3 times the storage capacity than what that rip-off crap PS+ has.[/QUOTE]

Half a year? :lol: Try 3 weeks. It launched with the new dash.

[quote name='Kylearan']Bioshock (originally on 360 about a month earlier than PS3) [/QUOTE]

Bioshock 360 - Aug 21, 2007
Bioshock PS3 - Oct 21, 2008

[quote name='Corvin']Just read the whole thread, and most everything's been covered. Both systems have killer exclusives and comparable features but the devil is in the details. The 360 may not do anything leap years better than PS3, but there are a LOT of little things it does better that add up to a more enjoyable experience. Since MS is a software company that is to be expected. It's easy to dismiss this or that, but it all adds up. Some of the things mentioned throughout the thread:[/QUOTE]

Just responding for shits and giggles:

- custom soundtracks (never used this feature, likely never will)
- cross game chat/parties/game invites which is never going to happen on a PS3 (never felt the need to chat w/ someone I wasnt playing w/against)
- console updates take 5 minutes vs. hours on the PS3 (PS+ makes this moot)
- game updates take about 10-30 seconds vs. hours on the PS3 (ditto)
- demos for ALL XBLA games and most retail games (great feature, makes no sense not to have it on PSN)
- Installing games is 100% optional (Moot as I install all 360 games as well)
- replaceable batteries in the controller (wires are best left in last gen) (I do prefer replaceable batteries to disposable controllers but it hasnt affected me on PS3 yet)
- every console comes with a headset. No wondering if your teammate will have a mic. (I have multiple 360 headsets but rarely use them)
- Then you have subtle things like better DLC support for games like Rock Band. (never noticed)
- companies press far more copies of 360 games which leads to quicker price drops and clearance finds, more used copies, etc. (Blu-ray discs take more abuse, which leads to better used copies: see GameFly)
- multi-platform titles tend to run better on the 360 as it is usually the lead platform(there are rare exceptions) (less of a concern nowadays with the noticeable exception of Skyrim)
- Kinect and voice commands are coming along nicely but isn't perfect (Kinect is wonky as heck)
- sales on point cards seem to happen more often than the PSN counterparts (very true)
- lots of weekly XBLA deals (PSN seems to have had a fair amount of deals lately. PS+ has free games)

To me, owning all three has not made little things stand out, but rather has highlighted just how similar the PS3 and 360 are, to the point of being almost redundant.

bread's done
Back