- - - - -

Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

#181 Indigo_Streetlight   East Coast Scum CAGiversary!   3489 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Indigo_Streetlight

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, twisted metal was the exception. That was fun to play with roommates. I love CC, but it would take me hours to play a match because the maps would slow down to a crawl (at least on red alert). Never tried to link it though.

Hahah, with C & C me and my nephew would engineer the max amount of players & number of units on the board at any one time to avoid slowdown. Then we'd build bases designed so that the other player's assaults would be frozen in a unique configuration.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#182 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   6090 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I never find anything good at yard/garage sales near me. :(

#183 TheHeef   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   222 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Keep the faith. You won't strike gold every time, but soon enough you'll have luck. When yard sales don't pan out, try thrift stores or flea markets. That's what I have to do during the winter months.

#184 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder CAGiversary!   10636 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hit an indoor booths sale that was advertised in the paper.

I saw a sign at a booth that listed prices for games and noticed SNES games were $1.

I asked the guy about them and he said a kid came by and bought all of them.

His stuff was really clean too. I don't even want to think about what I missed.

Bought some games from another dealer. Pics to come...

#185 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder CAGiversary!   10636 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Kind of yard sale related. I was at BB today and saw a NES sitting on their shelf at customer service. I asked what they were doing with it, but the girl said they are going to try to hook it up in the back since some of the employees had never seen one before. She said someone dropped it off to recycle.

One less NES for me in the wild. The said part is it probably won't work and they will trash it and I could probably fix it.

#186 Indigo_Streetlight   East Coast Scum CAGiversary!   3489 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Indigo_Streetlight

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Kind of yard sale related. I was at BB today and saw a NES sitting on their shelf at customer service. I asked what they were doing with it, but the girl said they are going to try to hook it up in the back since some of the employees had never seen one before. She said someone dropped it off to recycle.

One less NES for me in the wild. The said part is it probably won't work and they will trash it and I could probably fix it.

I wonder if the tv they're using even has the right hook-ups?

Recently I stopped by an estate sale that advertised video games, about all they had left was a manual for an Atari bundle for pc. I'm sure they got gang-raped by resellers early on, but I don't think they had a lot to begin with (the vibes I was getting were professional woman home office set-up; I thought I saw a genesis in one of the online pictures, but it didn't seem like enough to get excited about).
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#187 SnesGuy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   154 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I went to 13 yard sales this weekend. The ONLY video game related thing I saw was a copy of highschool musical for PS2. BLAH! I am very unhappy about this weekend lol.

On the other hand I got me and my girlfriend Mario and Luigi cosplay hats at the county fair. Best. Drunken. Purchase. EVER.

Posted Image

Better than last year. I drank close to 7 gallons of beer and bought a mexican wrestling mask. That was.. interesting

Edited by SnesGuy, 01 April 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#188 Floopy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

I didn't find that much in the way of gaming this weekend. I'll try to take some more pictures soon of my finds, but was able to snap a quick picture of my best find of the week.

Posted Image

I got to a sale right at its start time of 8am, and a guy was setting up and putting out what appeared to be his collection of Sonic-related items, some items NIB. I asked about games, but he said he got rid of his dreamcast at a previous sale. However, I did feel like this complete set of Sonic Adventure talking action figures was worth picking up (Sonic and Tails talk, Knuckles doesn't and probably needs a new set of batteries). He asked $5 each, I offered $3 each, we ended up at $10 for the lot.

I did some light research on them, and it looked like another NIB sonic sold for $30 recently. Someone else is selling Knuckles and Tails NIB for $180 each, which is way overkill. I'd like to think I could get $120-$180 for the set. Any opinions on value?

He had a few other NIB sonic items; I looked a few up on my phone, and they were each about $5 to $10 items so I didn't bother. This however, seemed to be the cream of his crop. I had a couple other decent finds at other sales; I'll try to get some more pics up tomorrow.

#189 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

The less sales I goto the more lotto tickets I find.
I went to only one for the day a few months back and got 13 jag carts for $5.
Also went to only one for the day again a few months back and got a crate full of dreamcast games for $60

Fast foward to this weekend. I went to around 15 sales and didn't find didly shit.

#190 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5403 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

I find it hard to believe that you would find nothing worth buying, you need to look for a wide variety of items, things that anyone can use. Don't just focus on video games and electronics, because those finds will not be as common as other stuff and those finds will be very rare compared to the large amounts of other items you will see. Figure out what you are spending money on at retail stores (other than groceries or consumables because you obviously cannot yard sale for those), then think about how you could save money purchasing those items at yard sales instead of at retail stores. You also have to be willing to clean stuff up, and sometimes spend a bit of time cleaning things up, most things that have a layer of dirt on them clean up just fine. Most cleaning will involve wiping an item down with windex but you may find a few things that require more cleaning depending on what you are looking for. You can buy cleaning supplies at the dollar store if you don't have any or if you want to save money on cleaning supplies.

There is rarely a week that I yard sale where I buy nothing, it happens, but not very often, there might be one week a summer when I don't buy something.

#191 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder CAGiversary!   10636 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

OK here is the rest of the stuff:

$3 for the comics. All pseudo keys. The Tomb of Dracula is a blade appearance.

Spoiler

Paid $10 total for the next 2 pics:

Various Sports Cards/Blaster box. Opened the loose packs and got a Mantle Chrome Refractor.

Spoiler

2 Games.
I know Hamtaro is a good one.

Posted Image

Games: Wanted $5 each paid $10 total:

I knew the Baldur's Gate one was good, didn't have Dirge, and was hoping the other was a rare one...still worth it though.

Posted Image

Is this an acceptable format that we can agree on for the thread?

Games no spoilers, everything else spoilers?

:bouncy:

#192 burz88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   211 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Better than last year. I drank close to 7 gallons of beer and bought a mexican wrestling mask. That was.. interesting

Drinking 7 gallons of beer, equal to almost 75 cans of beer, would indeed be interesting.

#193 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   3857 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Freedom Wars
Vita

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, I feel like someone might be exaggerating juuuust a bit lol

My YouTube Channel (Collection updates, games industry commentary, game analysis)

https://www.youtube....HellDestroyer77

My Blog (In-Depth Game/Anime Reviews)http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

My Twitter:https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Complete DVD/Blu Collectionhttp://www.blu-ray.c...id.php?u=102540

#194 Daw19yoyo   CAG Player Extraordinare CAGiversary!   739 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

OK here is the rest of the stuff:

2 Games. I know Hamtaro is a good one.

Posted Image

:bouncy:

The Hamtaro game is very enjoyable to play. I loved it as a kid... and now!
Your new riddle of the day...year.... Forever?:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it.

(lol) Its a Spaceship!

Dawness:
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers, multiplied by ∞. :whee:

#195 FOnewearl   Whooooooooa Bundy! CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Drinking 7 gallons of beer, equal to almost 75 cans of beer, would indeed be interesting.

Yeah, I feel like someone might be exaggerating juuuust a bit lol

I was thinking the same thing either that or he made a mathematical error OR Andre the Giant would have been the only human walking god's green earth that could drink him under the table ;)
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#196 Floopy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

With these pics, I'll be almost current in my yard sale finds.

Posted Image

Last week, a lady was having a friday/saturday sale. I stopped by friday afternoon to check it out. Her driveaway was filled with baby clothes and junk, so I rang her doorbell. She was holding a crying baby, but I mercilessly asked if she had any video games/systems for sale. She pointed me in the direction of box in her garage. It contained a PS2 slim with memory card/controller, and about 5 really really worthless games. I spent 10 minutes untangling the necessary cords from a nearby box of cords, then offered her $5 for the system (didn't want to bother with the crap games), which she accepted. Everything worked when tested.

Next day (Saturday) I got out and made only one find, but it was good and cheap, at least.

Posted Image

The weather is overcast but not raining. It's 8:10 am and I ring on the doorbell of an 8am start advertised sale. The two middle-aged women who answer the door in their pajamas claim they forgot to take their craigslist post down and were not going to have the sale, due to the iffy weather. Nonetheless, I still ask about games. One of the women goes inside and comes back out 2 minutes later with a cardboard box containing the above items. It's somewhat dirty, and I use that to my advantage by offering $3 for the box, questioning whether it will even work. She accepts my offer with no hesitation at all. I knew that a Genesis and CD combo had some value, but was unaware that Mad Dog II was a $50 game until later. Cool, cheap find. Everything worked fine.

Fast forward a week to this Saturday (3/31). I hit a multi-family sale (same sale that I find the Sonic stuff a few posts above from another guy, about 5 minutes later) right at its 8am start, and my gf spots a box with a Playstation in it, and calls me over to inspect. I look inside to find the below contents.

Posted Image

Once I see FF VII, I know that I'm taking the box home. I ask the middle-aged woman how much she wants for everything. She says $5. I offer her $4 and claim its really old stuff (part of the fun for me is bargaining, even if I know I'm already getting a steal). She accepts. FF VII had a little crack in the case, as most of the games did, but at least it was complete.

Overall a decent set of finds, but the mega find still haunts my dreams. Still have one more so-so find to post, got bored of taking pictures tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

#197 SnesGuy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   154 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

I started drinking at 8am, and don't remember most of the day, and was drunk most of the next. basing the amount on what people said i drank, including my mother, and how much money i didn't have the next day.

The cell pics were... interesting. yeeea. That was the last time I drank until this year.

Anyway back on topic, I hate you floopy. lol.

#198 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   6090 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

I find it hard to believe that you would find nothing worth buying, you need to look for a wide variety of items, things that anyone can use. Don't just focus on video games and electronics, because those finds will not be as common as other stuff and those finds will be very rare compared to the large amounts of other items you will see. Figure out what you are spending money on at retail stores (other than groceries or consumables because you obviously cannot yard sale for those), then think about how you could save money purchasing those items at yard sales instead of at retail stores. You also have to be willing to clean stuff up, and sometimes spend a bit of time cleaning things up, most things that have a layer of dirt on them clean up just fine. Most cleaning will involve wiping an item down with windex but you may find a few things that require more cleaning depending on what you are looking for. You can buy cleaning supplies at the dollar store if you don't have any or if you want to save money on cleaning supplies.

There is rarely a week that I yard sale where I buy nothing, it happens, but not very often, there might be one week a summer when I don't buy something.

well I don't go shopping for antiques, crafts, used tools, and baby clothes. Lol

#199 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3058 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Baby clothes make up 99% of the items at yard sales around here. In the 4+ years I've lived here, I've only found video games once.

#200 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5403 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

If I was having a kid I could probably get everything I needed to furnish a baby's room for under $100, there is so much baby stuff here its ridiculous. People also dump it because no one wants it so if I was picking trash for this stuff I think I could do well. I don't think people in my area have ever heard of handing down their baby stuff to other mom's to be who might use it as they want everything to come right from a box or its not good enough for their precious offspring. Hand me downs were very common when I was a kid though but its obvious that parenting has changed oh so much since then. I live in a poor neighborhood too, but everyone here still wants everything to come from a box or a bag brand new..

But I find a ton of stuff other than baby stuff, if you are going for profit I am sure there is a way to make a profit off of the oodles of baby stuff we all run across.

#201 Potatoeman  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Excellent stuff Floopy. Sega stuff is rad!

#202 SnesGuy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   154 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Baby clothes make up 99% of the items at yard sales around here. In the 4+ years I've lived here, I've only found video games once.

I went to three yardsales last week that ONLY had baby stuff. All over priced at that. $100 for a dirty beat to sh*t stroller anyone?

I usually find something video game or vintage electronic that I can resell most weeks though.

Sadly the only find this past weekend was a SNES with some sh*tty sports games and (newer) 3rd party controllers for $60 and they wouldst budge.

I broke down the pricing for them and told them if they wanted ebay prices sell it on ebay, but if they change their minds my $30 offer is always there.

#203 Monoxide1986   Recovering Flipper CAGiversary!   993 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Monoxide1986

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I would totally hit up garage sales in my area (Independence, MO) if there was a centralized posting of them I could find.....

Where I grew up (Salina, KS) they had a local circular that had a map with each sale marked and it was super easy together a plan of attack to hit them all. I don't particularly like wasting gas and time driving aimlessly around the area looking for signs or having to map out craigslist posts... so I tend to not ever go to them....

#204 Potatoeman  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I use this site, but they dont have your town on the list unfortunately :/

#205 Obiwan456   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   549 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Obiwan456

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

SO, today I got

Final Fantasy VII - GH complete
Final Fantasy VIII - black label complete but cracked case
Metal Gear Solid 1
Gran Turismo 2
Twisted Metal
Call of Duty 3 PS2
Grand Theft Auto Vice City PS2

$7 for all. And best of all, the guy who sold them to me actually told me where to go to sell them to make my money back.

#206 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I didn't get out today, but my dad got this for $20.
He decided to just give it to me as payment for helping him with something last weekend.

I think I'll sell most of it except for a few games and the NES advantage (the one I have has a cigarette burn on it from my grandad.) All it needs is a little retr0bright and it'll look brand new.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#207 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   950 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Just curious as youre in ga... was the nes in alpharetta? If so I will be so mad I decided not to hit that sale, didnt feel good this morning.
www.vg-force.com

#208 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   9055 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Snagged a ps2 slim and a boxed copy of starcraft for $11

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#209 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Just curious as youre in ga... was the nes in alpharetta? If so I will be so mad I decided not to hit that sale, didnt feel good this morning.

Nah, this sale was in Conyers.
Posted Image

#210 Floopy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Had a solid outing today, even after I woke up an hour after I had planned. Anyways, I hit my first sale just as he was opening at 7:30am and searched through his mostly junky ps1/ps2 games. Managed to pull outy Myst and DDR Disney Remix for $1 each. Maddening was the fact that I found a Tomba! PS1 manual, but found no game in sight.

I also found CoD:MW3 ($5) and Super Mario Bros Deluxe ($1) a few sales later.

Posted Image

My best find of the day (and probably the season so far) was the 2nd sale I hit. They had advertised games, so I made sure to get there a few minutes early. I arrived to find a bunch of Xbox 360/PS3/PC games on the table, and asked the seller how much he was asking. He said $2 each, so I bought them all. Note that Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition (PC) and Dragon Age II (PS3) are still sealed.

I didn't give up, though. After I made my first purchase, I asked him if he had any older games for sale. He talked with his wife for a second, went inside, and brought out some Xbox/PS2/PS1/Gamecube games (except Tales of Syphonia and Fire Emblem). He then said that he was fine with $1 each for these "older games." I readily agreed with this pricing structure, and bought everything again. Keying in on the lone gamecube game he had brought out by this point (Mario Kart), I asked him if he had any more gamecube games to sell. He went inside and brought out Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. His wife then mentioned that she was still playing ToS, but I pried it away from her by offering her a whopping $10 bill for it. Fire Emblem was $2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After the dust cleared, I spent $62 at this sale. Every game was minty complete. Basically, a dream sale: great taste in games, totally unconcerned with current market value. Bingo!