Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='slowdive21']You should stop now, because you will not be able to top that find.[/QUOTE]

Yea I probably wont, but ya never know. I've already come to terms with the fact that that was like hitting the lottery.

Finding some reasonable snes/nes games would make it worthwhile for me though. Sadly, in 17 or 18 yard sales I didn't see a single one. 0__o

(odd thing is, i live in a small town. all those yard sales were in something like a 2 mile radius. :whistle2:s)

[quote name='SnesGuy']Yea I probably wont, but ya never know. I've already come to terms with the fact that that was like hitting the lottery.

Finding some reasonable snes/nes games would make it worthwhile for me though. Sadly, in 17 or 18 yard sales I didn't see a single one. 0__o

(odd thing is, i live in a small town. all those yard sales were in something like a 2 mile radius. :whistle2:s)[/QUOTE]

Finding Super Nintendo anything at yard sales these days is pretty tough. I come across it rarely, maybe once or twice a month. Your haul would definitely rank in my top 6 or 7 one-day hauls from last year, but its still fairly beatable. In general, Sega CD stuff is cool, Genesis stuff is mostly (not all, mostly) junk. Keep up the good work, and take some more pics of any noteworthy finds!

I have dreams about finding Sega CD/Saturn games in a huge lot CIB, and then nightmares about how to store/display them all properly. :/

[quote name='FatherChesz']I have dreams about finding Sega CD/Saturn games in a huge lot CIB, and then nightmares about how to store/display them all properly. :/[/QUOTE]

lol. I had 3 games sell immediately on eBay, now no sales or bids since. I may end up building ANOTHER shelf for what doesn't sell and buying a Sega CD xD

(as if I don't have enough to do. i recently got into re casing all my carts in UGC's and printing covers for them )

[quote name='Floopy']Finding Super Nintendo anything at yard sales these days is pretty tough. I come across it rarely, maybe once or twice a month. Your haul would definitely rank in my top 6 or 7 one-day hauls from last year, but its still fairly beatable. In general, Sega CD stuff is cool, Genesis stuff is mostly (not all, mostly) junk. Keep up the good work, and take some more pics of any noteworthy finds![/QUOTE]

More like once or twice a year for me, if I find any at all. Around here its getting very hard to find older games, of course I still have a month or 2 to go before the first yard sales start rolling in. SNES stuff is almost impossible to find.

[quote name='SaraAB']More like once or twice a year for me, if I find any at all. Around here its getting very hard to find older games, of course I still have a month or 2 to go before the first yard sales start rolling in. SNES stuff is almost impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

Well Its too early in the week for yard sales yet, but I made a stop at the local pawn shop today on the way home and got these for $1.00 each

2012-03-07155310.jpg

Edit: After checking eBay I feel pretty good.
War of the Gems $10 - 15
Mario 64 $13 - 20
Mario Party $20 - 30
(prices are for completed listings that actually sold, and I counted 13 copies of Mario 64 that sold today alone 0.0 )
The only game I'm gonna sell is Mario 64 since its a dupe in my collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I haven't been out in a long time, thought I would try my luck today.

xbox barbie wild horse rescue
ps1 bob the builder (thought it was worth money, was wrong)
Asking 6 I got both for 4

Metroid prime trilogy
resident evil 0
gamecube preview disc
legend of dragoon disc 1
$35
story/rantish
This guy was sort of crazy I mean he had just so much shit at his house and he pointed to a 2 car garage and 2 cargo containers and said they were all full too. He said he would keep a look out for the other dragoon discs. The kids wanted to sell, the dad was really high in his prices, we started out at $55, he kept saying he had a buddy who could sell it online. I just feel if you want internet prices stick it online, not at a yardsale. No matter, metroid looks like it was never played, its going to replace my dogeared gamestop copy.

Also a few weeks ago I got a psone with the 1st party screen, power adapter and 3rd party controller for 1.35, a reseller had left his shit out all night and there was literally ice in it. Once it thawed out works fine, controller doesn't.

So I had A feeling about That yard sale (church sale) where i got that sealed GBA game
After a lot of digging I found 3 more copies of candy land and 3 copies of "M&M's - Break 'ems" got them for five buck. flipped a copy of candy land at the pawn shop for $15

Had my first find of the year today. Found a Gameboy color in a case. IAP was $1 but it had no batteries so I couldn't tell if it worked. Decided to take a chance and when I tested it, it worked. Then when I looked at the case again after my cat knocked it on the floor I noticed a protrusion in the back of it. Turns out there were 7 games in there including Pokemon Yellow and Donkey Kong Country.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/6828840866/in/photostream/lightbox/

I remember seeing these as a kid (a grocery story by my house sold unlicensed NES carts behind the cash register), but never gave them any thought at the time. However, when I started collecting, I saw how coveted these were, and wondered how many were still floating around my city. Apparently, a few.

This isn`t one purchase, but parts of three purchases over the last month. I`ll give you the story behind each purchase.

Action 52 #1 - Someone put his entire collection up online, and had it listed as 52 in 1. I called for a price, and he offered it to me for $20. I spied the rest of the collection, made a reasonable offer on the entire lot, and took everything home. Flipped the doubles and the system, and walked away with a free copy of Action 52. Sweet.

Action 52 #2 - Another person with their entire collection on sale. I was actually interested in just one game (North Vs. South), but made an offer on the entire collection and took everything home. Ended up with an NES and 17 games, an SNES and 11 games, and a Game Boy and 2 games. I'm still in the process of flipping doubles, but am five dollars away from breaking even on the lot, and will turn a profit before parting with Action 52.

Action 52 #3 and #4 - Bought those today. A woman was selling her entire collection at a local flea market, and had two copies of the game. She knew they were valuable, but had them priced well below what they sell for on EBAY, so I made an offer on both (plus a few other games) and she immediately accepted. Probably should have grabbed more stuff, but was running out of hobby money and didn't see anything else worth flipping.

Right now the plan is to keep one copy, and flip the other three to some collector friends.

[quote name='ChuckT']http://www.flickr.com/photos/75600394@N07/6828840866/in/photostream/lightbox/

I remember seeing these as a kid (a grocery story by my house sold unlicensed NES carts behind the cash register), but never gave them any thought at the time. However, when I started collecting, I saw how coveted these were, and wondered how many were still floating around my city. Apparently, a few.

This isn`t one purchase, but parts of three purchases over the last month. I`ll give you the story behind each purchase.

Action 52 #1 - Someone put his entire collection up online, and had it listed as 52 in 1. I called for a price, and he offered it to me for $20. I spied the rest of the collection, made a reasonable offer on the entire lot, and took everything home. Flipped the doubles and the system, and walked away with a free copy of Action 52. Sweet.

Action 52 #2 - Another person with their entire collection on sale. I was actually interested in just one game (North Vs. South), but made an offer on the entire collection and took everything home. Ended up with an NES and 17 games, an SNES and 11 games, and a Game Boy and 2 games. I'm still in the process of flipping doubles, but am five dollars away from breaking even on the lot, and will turn a profit before parting with Action 52.

Action 52 #3 and #4 - Bought those today. A woman was selling her entire collection at a local flea market, and had two copies of the game. She knew they were valuable, but had them priced well below what they sell for on EBAY, so I made an offer on both (plus a few other games) and she immediately accepted. Probably should have grabbed more stuff, but was running out of hobby money and didn't see anything else worth flipping.

Right now the plan is to keep one copy, and flip the other three to some collector friends.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, the game sucks but I'd still love to have even one of those! One question, is that label on the fourth one normal? I've actually never seen a copy like that.

I guess there are few variations, based on my research. I plan on keeping the cart with the solid sticker because it is in amazing shape. Hopefully I sell the other three before I run into any more - the hobby fund is starting to run dry!

[quote name='ChuckT']I guess there are few variations, based on my research. I plan on keeping the cart with the solid sticker because it is in amazing shape. Hopefully I sell the other three before I run into any more - the hobby fund is starting to run dry![/QUOTE]

Time to flip some stuff then, cag to fuel the cag. I'm sure others will help feed your addiction.

[quote name='Zon27']Time to flip some stuff then, cag to fuel the cag. I'm sure others will help feed your addiction.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I usually go through spurts of buying, followed by spurts of selling. Right now, I need to sell - I have two extra 64s, two extra SNES systems, one extra NES, one extra Genesis, dozens of extra games (doubles), and tons of accessories I could care less about. I imagine I can get rid of most of the items by the end of the month - hopefully I don't run into any huge lots between now and then - I don't think my office could get any messier.

Well, thanks to the weather, I had hoped that garage sale season here was starting early. No such luck.

Not a total loss today, though. Went to a small indie game seller in the middle of nowhere and found Skies of Arcadia: Legends for GC for $15. Not bad, considering it was on my short list.

Digimon world 2 Complete $2
Cars GC New $2

The sale I bought the digimon at the old lady there tried to sell me a bricked white 360 for the amazing low price of $225. She says her grandson had told her that the 360 with the controller and external fan shit thing was worth over $800. Bitch please. I just said "I already have one" and moved on. 360 games were absurdly overpriced as well.

Nothing great, but I found a Rebel 2000 with a 75-300 lens, a 28-80 lens, and a couple of nice UV filters for $30. I had just gotten a dslr at a thrift so the 75-300 lens is nice to have. I'll donate the camera body and sell the 28-80 to pay for all of it.

Well I didn't have any great game finds this weekend but,

For a Dollar a complete gold plated charizard card (even with the box)
2012-03-18_10-59-13_431.jpg

And a old electronics snap kit that's complete and mostly sealed for $5
Its if not the largest, then one of the largest kits they made.
Posted it on eBay, if it doesn't sell I'm gonna play with it xD

2012-03-17_19-30-22_57.jpg

Besides that I did get a decent pick up off of face book this weekend.
A complete NES system with 5 controllers + mario/duck hunt
an n64 with games (mario 64, mario party, super smash bros, mario cart, and a few others) and 1 controller
and a game cube. no controller
the n64 and game cube both missing the AV cord but have the power supplies
all For $30

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the deal with those pokemon gold cards? I picked up a couple over the years for .50 -$1 each, but I am not sure where they are originally from. Was it a Burger King Promo because I remember they had toys in the Kid's meals and there were safety concerns over the bubble that they came in.

[quote name='slowdive21']What is the deal with those pokemon gold cards? I picked up a couple over the years for .50 -$1 each, but I am not sure where they are originally from. Was it a Burger King Promo because I remember they had toys in the Kid's meals and there were safety concerns over the bubble that they came in.[/QUOTE]

I think they were, I still have some laying around somewhere.

[quote name='slowdive21']What is the deal with those pokemon gold cards? I picked up a couple over the years for .50 -$1 each, but I am not sure where they are originally from. Was it a Burger King Promo because I remember they had toys in the Kid's meals and there were safety concerns over the bubble that they came in.[/QUOTE]

BK ran the gold card promo at the same time as they had the Pokemon toys in the kids meals. You could buy one of the gold cards if you purchased a meal.

yea, if I remember right they were like an extra five dollars.
I bought it because I had never seen one that still had the box
I remember throwin the poke balls and hittin people in the head with em xD

Hypothetical, sort of off-track question here. Let's say I'm at a garage sale and the person there is selling a set of lawn darts (the real ones, with the metal point). Is that legal? Would it be legal for me to buy them? I've heard that lawn darts are "banned" in the US but I'm confused as to what that means exactly. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to be sold in stores and such; getting them from a yard sale/flea market should be okay.

[quote name='elgato10x']Hypothetical, sort of off-track question here. Let's say I'm at a garage sale and the person there is selling a set of lawn darts (the real ones, with the metal point). Is that legal? Would it be legal for me to buy them? I've heard that lawn darts are "banned" in the US but I'm confused as to what that means exactly. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

I've heard the same thing. To me, it means you cannot sell them in retail stores and don't use them at the public park. I recently bought a set at Goodwill for a couple bucks. Very fun game, just be careful!

[quote name='elgato10x']Hypothetical, sort of off-track question here. Let's say I'm at a garage sale and the person there is selling a set of lawn darts (the real ones, with the metal point). Is that legal? Would it be legal for me to buy them? I've heard that lawn darts are "banned" in the US but I'm confused as to what that means exactly. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

I think it's still illegal. You can't legally sell recalled cribs and car seats, and these are probably at least as bad (and recalled).

Edit: They're definitely not legal to sell, period. Technically, there's no law against using them in parks, afaik... But who knows what kind of law suit it could bring if someone got injured in a park.

Thanks for the help. I've been wanting a set, just haven't found one yet. I would certainly never take them into a public place, probably just play in my backyard. I guess I'll just take my chances and buy them if I ever find any.

[quote name='elgato10x']Thanks for the help. I've been wanting a set, just haven't found one yet. I would certainly never take them into a public place, probably just play in my backyard. I guess I'll just take my chances and buy them if I ever find any.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can not sell them. I bought some 1-3 years ago and posted about it here.

Sale have officially started by me, but I haven't ventured out to any yet.

[quote name='TiKi2']^^ HAHA thats fucken sweet. How much was that beauty?[/QUOTE]

Got the thing for 15 bucks. BOOM goes the amplifier. The thing killed 8 D batteries in THREE hours. It's going to cost a lot to pump this thing with style.

[quote name='elgato10x']Thanks for the help. I've been wanting a set, just haven't found one yet. I would certainly never take them into a public place, probably just play in my backyard. I guess I'll just take my chances and buy them if I ever find any.[/QUOTE]

PM sent

Well I dont usually go to yard sales on friday since i work, but i just stopped by a family friends sale and picked up an nes, light gun, and 5 games (mostly golf games) for $10. to be honest i just wanted the light gun. it was in pretty good condition lol.

but about That BK gold charizard i posted about earlier, all of them i saw on ebay that had the box had a blue backround, including a charizard. The one I bought has a red one. any ideas? o.0

[quote name='SnesGuy']Well I dont usually go to yard sales on friday since i work, but i just stopped by a family friends sale and picked up an nes, light gun, and 5 games (mostly golf games) for $10. to be honest i just wanted the light gun. it was in pretty good condition lol.

but about That BK gold charizard i posted about earlier, all of them i saw on ebay that had the box had a blue backround, including a charizard. The one I bought has a red one. any ideas? o.0[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. Googled it, and apparently it's labeled as either MIB Red or MIB Blue, but gives no indication as to what that means. Either way, I just ordered a togepi gold card from Amazon, because of you.

[quote name='Paco']Got the thing for 15 bucks. BOOM goes the amplifier. The thing killed 8 D batteries in THREE hours. It's going to cost a lot to pump this thing with style.[/QUOTE]

Yeh electronics are hit or miss. It's about 50/50 for me. working to non non working.

Today I found:
NFS Undercover PS2 GH, complete $1
City Crisis PS2, Disc Only .50
Kingdom Hearts, Disc Only .50
The lady said "grab another" (why I don't know) so I grabbed the disc only (scratched ) FFVII disc one they had. Why the hell not? They didn't have the others.
I found a minty mint copy of Parasite Eve for $2 at another sale. The woman said $3 "because there are 3 discs". I showed her the one disc was demos and said "it's not worth a buck". She let it go. I am shameless.

Oh the BK gold cards

I ran a BK at the time while starting college. The difference between the red and blue boxes from what we were told at the time was the blue boxes were the original run that was manufactured. When the promotion continued after the set time, they issued the red boxes. I think the red boxes (the card is the same) are harder to find. That being said, I don't believe they are rare as I have a ton of them (and the Pikachu toy bagged) in a box somewhere in my parent's attic.

^Sweet deal!

Found a $2 pair of binoculars and a rubik's cube today.

I was waiting for my dad to finish looking around, so I solved the rubik's cube and the lady said I could have it for free. :D

Today was the first day I went out. Went to 2 sales. Already sold everything I bought.

PS2 fat - $4 (She said it worked. It didn't. Sold it for $7 to GameStop)
Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel - $5 (Sold for $20 to GS)
Halo 2, Lego Star Wars, Battlefront 2 - $5 (Sold for $5.50 to a local store for cash)

Good day for me!

Atari Flashback - $1
Nintendo 64 with power pak and cables, with 2 original controllers & one off brand controller, one rumble pack, 11 official n64 game cases, one memory card & one memory card plus, 2 RAM expansion packs + the original pack and removal tool and the n64 Gameshark!

The 16 games are:
(the games w/ an * have their manuals)

Goldeneye 007*
Starfox 64*
Mario Kart 64*
Donkey Kong 64*
Super Smash Bros
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron*
Star Wars: Episode 1: Racer*
Namco Musuem 64 (box & instructions)
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Doom 64
WWF War Zone*
Ridge Racer 64
WCW vs NWO World Tour*
Dark Rift
Monaco Grand Prix
Mission Impossible

All for a whopping $15!

[quote name='pdwayne']Good day for me!

All for a whopping $15![/QUOTE]

I absolutely hate you :) . . . for two reasons . . .

1) there are only a few sales by me right now and they are hardly worth going to . . . because they are scattered around in start time and location.

2) even in high season I never find great bundles like this

When I get an N64 . . . it will be priced at $25 . . . so I might get it for $15 and it will come with 4 crappy games . . . at best I might get one nice game. But you got at least 6 pretty nice titles

bread's done
Back