Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

If I was having a kid I could probably get everything I needed to furnish a baby's room for under $100, there is so much baby stuff here its ridiculous. People also dump it because no one wants it so if I was picking trash for this stuff I think I could do well. I don't think people in my area have ever heard of handing down their baby stuff to other mom's to be who might use it as they want everything to come right from a box or its not good enough for their precious offspring. Hand me downs were very common when I was a kid though but its obvious that parenting has changed oh so much since then. I live in a poor neighborhood too, but everyone here still wants everything to come from a box or a bag brand new..

But I find a ton of stuff other than baby stuff, if you are going for profit I am sure there is a way to make a profit off of the oodles of baby stuff we all run across.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Baby clothes make up 99% of the items at yard sales around here. In the 4+ years I've lived here, I've only found video games once.[/QUOTE]

I went to three yardsales last week that ONLY had baby stuff. All over priced at that. $100 for a dirty beat to sh*t stroller anyone?

I usually find something video game or vintage electronic that I can resell most weeks though.

Sadly the only find this past weekend was a SNES with some sh*tty sports games and (newer) 3rd party controllers for $60 and they wouldst budge.

I broke down the pricing for them and told them if they wanted ebay prices sell it on ebay, but if they change their minds my $30 offer is always there.

I would totally hit up garage sales in my area (Independence, MO) if there was a centralized posting of them I could find.....

Where I grew up (Salina, KS) they had a local circular that had a map with each sale marked and it was super easy together a plan of attack to hit them all. I don't particularly like wasting gas and time driving aimlessly around the area looking for signs or having to map out craigslist posts... so I tend to not ever go to them....

SO, today I got

Final Fantasy VII - GH complete
Final Fantasy VIII - black label complete but cracked case
Metal Gear Solid 1
Gran Turismo 2
Twisted Metal
Call of Duty 3 PS2
Grand Theft Auto Vice City PS2

$7 for all. And best of all, the guy who sold them to me actually told me where to go to sell them to make my money back.

I didn't get out today, but my dad got this for $20.
He decided to just give it to me as payment for helping him with something last weekend.

I think I'll sell most of it except for a few games and the NES advantage (the one I have has a cigarette burn on it from my grandad.) All it needs is a little retr0bright and it'll look brand new.
DSCF0024-2.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0022-2.jpg

DSCF0020-2.jpg

Just curious as youre in ga... was the nes in alpharetta? If so I will be so mad I decided not to hit that sale, didnt feel good this morning.

[quote name='Bing147']Just curious as youre in ga... was the nes in alpharetta? If so I will be so mad I decided not to hit that sale, didnt feel good this morning.[/QUOTE]

Nah, this sale was in Conyers.

Had a solid outing today, even after I woke up an hour after I had planned. Anyways, I hit my first sale just as he was opening at 7:30am and searched through his mostly junky ps1/ps2 games. Managed to pull outy Myst and DDR Disney Remix for $1 each. Maddening was the fact that I found a Tomba! PS1 manual, but found no game in sight.

I also found CoD:MW3 ($5) and Super Mario Bros Deluxe ($1) a few sales later.

SDC10009.jpg

My best find of the day (and probably the season so far) was the 2nd sale I hit. They had advertised games, so I made sure to get there a few minutes early. I arrived to find a bunch of Xbox 360/PS3/PC games on the table, and asked the seller how much he was asking. He said $2 each, so I bought them all. Note that Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition (PC) and Dragon Age II (PS3) are still sealed.

I didn't give up, though. After I made my first purchase, I asked him if he had any older games for sale. He talked with his wife for a second, went inside, and brought out some Xbox/PS2/PS1/Gamecube games (except Tales of Syphonia and Fire Emblem). He then said that he was fine with $1 each for these "older games." I readily agreed with this pricing structure, and bought everything again. Keying in on the lone gamecube game he had brought out by this point (Mario Kart), I asked him if he had any more gamecube games to sell. He went inside and brought out Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. His wife then mentioned that she was still playing ToS, but I pried it away from her by offering her a whopping $10 bill for it. Fire Emblem was $2.

SDC10003.jpg

SDC10004.jpg

After the dust cleared, I spent $62 at this sale. Every game was minty complete. Basically, a dream sale: great taste in games, totally unconcerned with current market value. Bingo!

[quote name='Floopy']He went inside and brought out Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. His wife then mentioned that she was still playing ToS, but I pried it away from her by offering her a whopping $10 bill for it.[/QUOTE]

At first I LOL'd. Then I felt sad for that lady. But then I LOL'd again.

Not to take anything away from your haul because really, it is a great one, but I bet you could've gotten away with asking for a package deal of 25-50% less. In my experience people (for whatever reason) love doing that. I've done it dozens of times and there were only like two occasions where it didn't work.

But again, nice score. You could easily cover the cost with just a couple of the games, like FIFA 12 or MW3.

I had a pretty good day on Friday.

DSC01704.jpg

This was the first sale I went to. I paid $2 for the games and $5 for the 360. The guy said he purchased it at an auction and didn't know if it worked. It's in pretty rough shape, so I really doubt it does. But for $5, I couldn't pass it up.

DSC01710.jpg

$25 for the bundle. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but Mario Kart and Star Fox will help me make my money back. The other games are Championship Pool, Super Mario World (2x), Batman Forever, NFL Quarterback Club and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

DSC01711.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was $1 and the SNES games were $1 total. I've been on the lookout for DOOM for a while, so I was happy to see that one.

DSC01714.jpg

The lady was asking $20 for the Xbox, but she accepted $15. There was a third controller, but the cord was frayed so I tossed it. My original Xbox finally bit the dust just last week, so this was a welcome find.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Not to take anything away from your haul because really, it is a great one, but I bet you could've gotten away with asking for a package deal of 25-50% less. In my experience people (for whatever reason) love doing that. I've done it dozens of times and there were only like two occasions where it didn't work.

But again, nice score. You could easily cover the cost with just a couple of the games, like FIFA 12 or MW3.[/QUOTE]

I know what you are saying, but my first instinct was to buy everything in sight first, and ask questions later (rule #1 of yardsaling). The stuff was coming out of the house in waves, so it also wasn't all there at once. There were 16 games in the first purchase, and I originally offered $25 for all of them (remember, they were current gen at $2 each) and he actually denied my offer and said best he could do was $30, since "they still have some trade in value at Gamestop." I thought to myself "yep, they sure do, and for a lot more than $30 collectively, too." When the second round of stuff came out, there were a couple of other shoppers hovering, so I quickly bought everything again before they had a chance to shop the selection.

But yes, you are right, normally I could have done everything for a few dollars less with bundling. I normally do negotiate, but this guy didn't want to, and I didn't want to lose my haul so I bought everything in sight ASAP without a fuss.

I also wanted to remind everyone to eat some yard sale cookies/drinks made by kids; it's good karma. I paid 50 cents at my first sale for a cookie and a drink, and the next sale didn't let me down.

[quote name='Allwhowander']
$25 for the bundle. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but Mario Kart and Star Fox will help me make my money back. The other games are Championship Pool, Super Mario World (2x), Batman Forever, NFL Quarterback Club and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.
[/QUOTE]

You did great with the SNES. They are hard to find, and even harder to find in clean, complete condition. I'd have went was high as $30 to $35 on your bundle, so $25 was good.

And let us know if that Xbox 360 works...$5 is just funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out to a yardsale yesterday because the ad said there would be games. Got there and there were none. I asked if they would be putting them out, but the guy running it said he had them in storage and wasn't able to get to them for the sale.

Anyway, down the street from him I happened upon a sale as the guy was setting up. I found the stuff below there for $40. I should work on my CAGing, but I thought it was a fair deal.

[quote name='ROB64']Nah, this sale was in Conyers.[/QUOTE]

Cool, the one in Alpharetta from the wording ("Vintage") I figured would be overpriced but I see a lot of the same games they had in their pictures in yours and thought the worst, lol.

Not much this weekend.

Pic_0406_061-1.jpg

Sure, they aren't first party and the Amazon reviews say that they're absolutely awful but they're unique and the price was right: 50 cents for both.

I pryed a ToS Gamecube from a fleamarket vendor here but unfortunately it doesn't work (I got it in a trade), however I can take it back and exchange it for something else but I don't think I will find anything that would match finding ToS at that booth.

[quote name='SaraAB']I pryed a ToS Gamecube from a fleamarket vendor here but unfortunately it doesn't work (I got it in a trade), however I can take it back and exchange it for something else but I don't think I will find anything that would match finding ToS at that booth.[/QUOTE]

Would it be worth keeping the shell and switching out the guts? It seems weird that an NTSC-J LE import would just crap out like that.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Would it be worth keeping the shell and switching out the guts? It seems weird that an NTSC-J LE import would just crap out like that.[/QUOTE]

Its just the regular version of ToS game, not an actual gamecube. This vendor also prints their artwork for the cases so its not worth saving the case.

Heading to my first few sales tomorrow! I read through the tips on the first page, anyone have other random wisdom they'd be gracious enough to give to a noobie? :p

If they look like they're old or have grand-kids, or if they have older looking stuff/computers, don't be afraid to ask if they have some old video game stuff. I've had a couple of good finds just asking.

[quote name='Potatoeman']If they look like they're old or have grand-kids, or if they have older looking stuff/computers, don't be afraid to ask if they have some old video game stuff. I've had a couple of good finds just asking.[/QUOTE]

For me this just ends up confusing the poor old lady trying to sell a few dishes and household items... I have tried it before and decided its not worth my effort to explain to every single old lady what video games are because they honestly don't know what video games are at all. But if they had other toys at the sale that look older then it would be ok to ask, but don't ask if there are no signs of kids at all.

Yeah, I didn't mean to just ask everyone, but if they have electronics or have an old place it doesn't hurt to ask. If they don't know what you're talking about just leave and go on.

I've never had someone not know what video games were at all though, so I can't comment. Everyone I've asked has said no or let me go check for the most part

[quote name='Potatoeman']Yeah, I didn't mean to just ask everyone, but if they have electronics or have an old place it doesn't hurt to ask. If they don't know what you're talking about just leave and go on.

I've never had someone not know what video games were at all though, so I can't comment. Everyone I've asked has said no or let me go check for the most part[/QUOTE]

My area is pretty unique, we have a ton of old people who hold yard sales to get rid of crap around the house, these people are still using CRT TV's, VCR's, basic cable and have no internet access and probably visit the electronics department of walmart once a year to buy batteries for their remote control if they even know how to install them. They probably think the internet and cell phones are some newfangled gadgets invented to get teenagers in trouble or something to that effect. So its quite likely, that they genuinely do not know what video games are and believe it or not I have had people ask me what video games are. I have actually had middle age men ask me what video games are as well... odd but true. Sometimes its just not worth the effort.. if ya know what I mean...

Very weird find today, but good!

PyqNj.jpg

Lwvzo.jpg

Bought both from the same couple for $50 total. They asked $125 for it and I said no way, I was thinking $20 or so. The couple were pretty cool though, and they even hooked it up and showed me that it worked, etc.

Yeah, they had it set up really cool with a projector. Looked online and saw how great a deal I got. Only problem is there's no way I'll play it and shipping it out will be a hassle. Still, it was too cool to pass up.

The N64 controller is just a bonus; I can't really find much info about it except one post on ebay which didn't sell.

Man, I would kill to find one of those Steel Battalion things. Sweet find!

So I have another noobish question, for all you experts. One of the sales I've found listed online doesn't have a start time listed. This is the sale I want to hit the most, because they specifically advertised having video games. Anyone have a rough guesstimate on what time yard sales generally start?

anywhere from 7-10 usually. It varies wildly. If it was a craigslist ad, just email the person and see if they respond. Almost everyone I email on craigslist has responded, which is nuts because I thought no one ever checked their email religiously but myself

If you can't get in contact.. well.. either risk it and show up at 8, or get there by 7 and wait for them to set up or something. Some people hate early birds(people who arrive before the sale is scheduled to begin), and some people welcome them. Your best bet is simply asking, imo.

[quote name='kube00']Potatoe that first pic is a steel battalion controller for xbox nice find.[/QUOTE]

Yup!

Here is a pic if anyone wants to see an almost complete version (missing the 8 by 10 manual).

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/buyitallcheap/7-16-11/set 4/

Shameless plug ;)

I went to one sale today advertising games. I saw some $40 xbox 360 games. One was a Halo/Forza 2 pack. they did have a gta double pack for $10, but I couldn't remember if that was the valuable one or not, so I left it.

I knew it had a big box! I asked the couple if they had it and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I dropped the subject. Still, it's in pretty good shape so I'm happy!

Edit: I've got a great surprise to show tomorrow! I think you guys will like what I found ;)

I completely stuck out with video games today. I went to 5 sales, all I saw was an original Xbox priced at $100 at one, and some $10 Gamecube sports games at another.

However, I did find this pretty sick looking typewriter for $10 bucks. Felt like I couldn't pass it up. Anyone know anything about typewriters? (Pictures in the spoiler).

tumblr_m2h3vq2WG81qf50mdo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2h3vq2WG81qf50mdo2_500.jpg

Well, the weather warmed up and there were sales everywhere.

My only success was at and older woman's sale, where she had bundles of old gaming "junk".

I bought:
Gamecube [All cords] w/ 1 Controller (Works!)
Sonic Battle 2 and Spyro (Dream World?) for the Gamecube. (Disk only)
Xbox 360 Controller and Ps3 Controller w/ charger
Two Wireless Ps2 controllers
Pokemon Snaps cart only
Two Bluetooth Headsets for the Ps3
And an Action Replay for the DS

All for $5.50

It was all in rough shape, but I was pretty happy with my day.

Did a little bit of looking around online and it seems pricing varies a lot for typewriters Monty. I can't tell which one you have since there are a lot of different models, but it looks like $10 was a safe bet either way, especially if you want to have it around as an antique or to put somewhere in your house.

Today's finds:
Rayman
NFL Blitz
Test Drive 4
Test Drive Off Road 2
007 The World is Not Enough
^^ (all for PS1) $1 for the lot

2x Casiotone MT-36 keyboards - $4

Beatles Revolution and The Nightmare Before Christmas posters - free

[quote name='Potatoeman']Did a little bit of looking around online and it seems pricing varies a lot for typewriters Monty. I can't tell which one you have since there are a lot of different models, but it looks like $10 was a safe bet either way, especially if you want to have it around as an antique or to put somewhere in your house.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information! A friend of mine collects typewriters, and he said I might get ~200 bucks for it. Not a bad pick up at all! Think I might hang on to it though, it is pretty cool looking.

I love my steel battalion controller. Still play the game every now and then. Must own fan for anyone who loved those big robot cartoons

I saw Floopy this morning out yardsaling. He was busy lowballing a couple on a lime/orange GBA SP. ;)

I got XBOX KOTOR, XBOX KOTOR II, and BG: DAII for $5 total. I was pretty happy with that. Not a lot of other stuff, but it was a nice morning to be out saling.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Did a little bit of looking around online and it seems pricing varies a lot for typewriters Monty. I can't tell which one you have since there are a lot of different models, but it looks like $10 was a safe bet either way, especially if you want to have it around as an antique or to put somewhere in your house.[/QUOTE]

From what I heard all manufacturers have stopped making typewriters so it might be a good idea to pick some up if you are into hoarding things for future value. You can get random typewriters for around 1$ here easy. Though I did notice that office max is still selling typewriters where I am, they must have a warehouse full of them or something.

[quote name='SaraAB']From what I heard all manufacturers have stopped making typewriters so it might be a good idea to pick some up if you are into hoarding things for future value. You can get random typewriters for around 1$ here easy. Though I did notice that office max is still selling typewriters where I am, they must have a warehouse full of them or something.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I bet typewriters aren't really worth too much right now. I don't think they're in much demand right now. (Also, I found out my friend was full of crap with the value of the typewriter. It is about a $50 machine.)

I hit up an afternoon sale today and got this:
1ed76252868211e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg

Picked up all three for a buck. I was only looking to get Nightfire, but the lady threw in the other two for free. They're all in pretty great condition, too.

Sigh...this morning suggested that I may not be doing garage saling for much longer.

I work a day job, so the only time I can go saling is Saturday morning. I went out this morning and every sale I went to was already picked clean. The only house that had games was asking, for example, $20 for Gears of War 2 (an obvious no). Weather wasn't much help, but it didn't rain. Anything gaming-related was either crap or they were asking something ridiculous.

I may just be flustered from a so-far shaky season, but this wasting gas is getting old.

- This weekend was "A Big To Do on Highway 22" here in Arkansas. It's roughly 90 miles of yard sales. I'm pretty happy with the results...

DSC01753.jpg

Everything above for $50. Notice Earthbound in the SNES games and Pokemon Crystal and FireRed. Crystal doesn't hold a save game, but oh well. The N64 controllers have really tight control sticks.

DSC01757.jpg

MGS 2 and 3 w/ guide - $15. Not the best deal, but I don't have them.

Prince of Persia, RE2 and the 2 SNES games - $10. RE2 is in great condition but missing the manual.

Sonic and Knuckles, 2x Mario Bros and the NES controller - $3

I was excited to see Pokemon Pearl, but the case is empty. The guy gave it to me for free and I took it for the Club Nintendo code. So close to Platinum status... :)

DSC01760.jpg

Each NES was $2 and the games were included with one of them. $4 total.

DSC01763.jpg

NES games and Xbox - $20. Nothing special in the game lot except maybe Tail Spin.

DSC01769.jpg

This was a much better game lot. - $5

DSC01770.jpg

I paid $5 for this. The lady said it doesn't read discs. It had some third party controllers included that I've already gotten rid of (see below)

DSC01774.jpg

N64 lot - $2

DSC01777.jpg

Ok, technically this wasn't at a yard sale. After I finished up for the day my wife and I went to eat. There was a used game store near the restaurant and I stopped by and saw this. They held it for me while I ran home and grabbed the off brand controllers that I was going to trade in anyway. Ended up paying around $30 for it.

I've been cleaning like a mad man but haven't tested any of it except the gameboy games. Hopefully Pokemon Crystal is the only big disappointment.

[quote name='Allwhowander']- This weekend was "A Big To Do on Highway 22" here in Arkansas. It's roughly 90 miles of yard sales. I'm pretty happy with the results...[/QUOTE]

I hate you so much right now. :wall:

A whole morning of going to sales and the only thing I bought was a mortal kombat I & II DVD

bread's done
Back