Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Allwhowander']
DSC01763.jpg

NES games and Xbox - $20. Nothing special in the game lot except maybe Tail Spin.[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]
You may wanna use www.vgpc.com to look up some of the other games. The game thats 2-3 up from TaleSpin in that pic is Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, right? It's only worth about $6 according to VGPC, but that's better than $1-2 I suppose.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nes/adventures-of-tom-sawyer

Lucky bastard! I want Earthbound so badly :(

I managed to get a PS2 slim for $10 this weekend. It's going straight on eBay. Hopefully I can come up 25-30$ on it. It's in pretty nice shape.

[quote name='Allwhowander']-
I've been cleaning like a mad man but haven't tested any of it except the gameboy games. Hopefully Pokemon Crystal is the only big disappointment.[/QUOTE]

Wow, epic day overall man. You easily beat my finds by a mile, though I didn't do half bad either. I just want to point out that the Pokemon Crystal game can be fixed by replacing the battery. It requires a special nintendo game bit (screwdriver), and a new battery, along with light soldering skills. You may consider it too much trouble to try to fix it, but it is fixable, so please don't throw it out!

Went to the flea market this morning. I got some game and watch electronic games from the 80s in the box. Unfortunately the guy wrote the prices on the box - $12
I got a Nes control deck in the box for $45
and a bunch of Nes games in the box for $5 each

DSCF5839.jpg

DSCF5840.jpg

DSCF5841.jpg

DSCF5842.jpg

[quote name='Allwhowander']- This weekend was "A Big To Do on Highway 22" here in Arkansas. It's roughly 90 miles of yard sales. I'm pretty happy with the results...
DSC01753.jpg

Everything above for $50. Notice Earthbound in the SNES games and Pokemon Crystal and FireRed. Crystal doesn't hold a save game, but oh well. The N64 controllers have really tight control sticks.

DSC01757.jpg

MGS 2 and 3 w/ guide - $15. Not the best deal, but I don't have them.

Prince of Persia, RE2 and the 2 SNES games - $10. RE2 is in great condition but missing the manual.

Sonic and Knuckles, 2x Mario Bros and the NES controller - $3

I was excited to see Pokemon Pearl, but the case is empty. The guy gave it to me for free and I took it for the Club Nintendo code. So close to Platinum status... :)

DSC01760.jpg

Each NES was $2 and the games were included with one of them. $4 total.

DSC01763.jpg

NES games and Xbox - $20. Nothing special in the game lot except maybe Tail Spin.

DSC01769.jpg

This was a much better game lot. - $5

DSC01770.jpg

I paid $5 for this. The lady said it doesn't read discs. It had some third party controllers included that I've already gotten rid of (see below)

DSC01774.jpg

N64 lot - $2

DSC01777.jpg

Ok, technically this wasn't at a yard sale. After I finished up for the day my wife and I went to eat. There was a used game store near the restaurant and I stopped by and saw this. They held it for me while I ran home and grabbed the off brand controllers that I was going to trade in anyway. Ended up paying around $30 for it.

I've been cleaning like a mad man but haven't tested any of it except the gameboy games. Hopefully Pokemon Crystal is the only big disappointment.[/QUOTE]

I'm calling bullshit...I find it hard to believe there is anyplace in Arkansas that is clean. :lol:

Those are really great finds! :applause:

I'm putting some cash away so that I can see what I can pull together from yard sales in the coming weeks. This is my first time going yard sale hunting but the good news is that I got my girlfriend interested in it by showing her this thread and I think we might go looking for games at yardsales together. :D

The first yard sales are starting here but the first 2 were a bust as it seems people put an ad in but didn't actually hold a sale. One guy having a sale here is a repeat and he has put up the same sale literately every week last year. Our town seriously needs a restriction on "permanent" yard sales.

I have to brag though, and I know this thread is not the place for it, its not the greatest find but I got Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast for PS2 at a GS for 3.99, is a rare game that goes for like $20-25 on ebay and my copy is complete and almost mint. Its pretty hard to find the rare games at GS stores around here so for me its a small victory. Not to mention almost impossible to find complete PS2 games at some GS stores.

[quote name='SaraAB']The first yard sales are starting here but the first 2 were a bust as it seems people put an ad in but didn't actually hold a sale. One guy having a sale here is a repeat and he has put up the same sale literately every week last year. Our town seriously needs a restriction on "permanent" yard sales.

I have to brag though, and I know this thread is not the place for it, its not the greatest find but I got Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast for PS2 at a GS for 3.99, is a rare game that goes for like $20-25 on ebay and my copy is complete and almost mint. Its pretty hard to find the rare games at GS stores around here so for me its a small victory. Not to mention almost impossible to find complete PS2 games at some GS stores.[/QUOTE]
Funny you should mention that Outrun game. I just checked the GS site and it shows 5 stores in my area with low stock of it.:lol:I think I had it in my game collection last gen and I played it once and just couldn't get into it like I did the arcade versions.

Unfortunately since it's an under $9.99 game it's probably been gutted and is disc only in a sleeve at my local GS stores.:whistle2:#

Man i'm jealous of all these shiny items in the photos. There still have been literally NO sales nearby >_>

Well, I had a pretty average day by my standards. I didn't see any sales that caught my attention during my friday night search, so I hit a community yard sale in a very affluent area with many houses...might not go there again. It was far away, the sales were a bit too spread out in this massive neighborhood, and the caravan of cars/minivans pillaging one sale to the next so early in the morning was rough. I know community yard sales are popular, but this one was nuts. I'm glad I got there way early (official start time was 8am, got there around 7:15am while sales were still setting up) because everything worth buying was gone by 9am.

Did not hit any jackpots, though I did go to a sale where a foreign woman claimed she sold 3 plastic bins full of "old video game stuff" for $40 per bin a couple hours before. I cringe to think of what could have been... I'll guess someone paid $120 for $1000 worth of games/systems. Wish it was me.

Anyways, to my finds:

SDC10100-1.jpg

SDC10102-1.jpg

My first 6 or 7 sales were busts, but at the next one I spotted a gamecube with 6 games and 2 controllers marked at $60. I talked the woman down to $30 for everything, but then even reconsidered that and managed to snag the only 4 games worth a damn for $15 once I loudly "remembered" that my gf's nephew already had a gamecube and just wanted games. All 4 of the gamecube games were complete NM/Mint.

A few sales later I walk up to a sale with some nice unopened kid's toys/board games. A woman is buying a fair amount of it, but it's mostly $5 puzzles and $10 board games from Toysrus. She left the NIB Dragons Mega Bloks behind, which I snatch up for $2. At the same sale, I also ask the 12 year old kid if he has any video game stuff for sale. He runs inside and brings out a PSP Go, but can't find the power cord. I talk him down from $25 to $10 and take that as well.

A few sales later I pick up a pretty worn Shrek Edition Gameboy Advance SP and 7ish terrible games + charger + case for $6. A late 40s couple are selling it and the man seems to get offended when I use its very worn condition as a bargaining chip. I say something like "It's really worn down," and he says "Well, that's what kids do with them!" in a really odd way. I also get the Chewbacca bobblehead from that sale for $1.

A few sales later I ask about video game stuff and an early 50s guy tells me he has a RROD xbox 360 inside. He says $5 and I agree, so he runs inside and grabs it. When he brings it out and it's missing all cords I offer him $3 and he accepts. Have not tested/diagnosed/fixed it yet. Also bought the Ticket to Ride board game there for $3 (contents are still sealed, just the outer plastic is removed); Might play it, might sell it.

Also got 3 NES games and F-Zero SNES for 25 cents each late in the day on the way home.

Somewhere along the line I buy Finding Nemo minty complete for $1, and Nip Tuck Season 1 (sealed) for $2. Passed up some overpriced Xbox 360 and PS2 games at a couple of sales. Also passed an extremely overpriced PS2 Slim lot where the seller was asking $150 for a PS2 slim, guitar, 2 controllers, and 6 crap games. I actually laughed out loud when he told me his price, and just walked away.

Overall, had a decent day. I knowingly invaded another CAGs territory (sorry yourlefthand, it was my best prospect), but I'll probably let him have that particular area to himself in the future because it's too overrun with trains of minivan mamas absolutely plundering sales like 10th centry vikings. Keeping Zelda and Mario Party 5, dishing the rest. Until next week...

[quote name='SaraAB']I have to brag though, and I know this thread is not the place for it, its not the greatest find but I got Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast for PS2 at a GS for 3.99, is a rare game that goes for like $20-25 on ebay and my copy is complete and almost mint. Its pretty hard to find the rare games at GS stores around here so for me its a small victory. Not to mention almost impossible to find complete PS2 games at some GS stores.[/QUOTE]

You're completely wrong on that, especially considering there's several new copies on ebay and Amazon for under $20. It's not "rare" at all.

[quote name='lude21']According to vgpc , its the Xbox version of Outrun that's worth $25-$30.[/QUOTE]
So it is. I didn't even bother to double check since I don't buy/collect last gen stuff anymore.

Oh and floopy, if that's an 'average' day for you and you still got all of that while fighting off the 'minivan mamas', I could only imagine what you'd have scored if they all weren't there.:roll:

I thought getting some PSPGo's from Sears for $50 each was decent, but $10 for one? That's insane.

[quote name='Floopy']
Overall, had a decent day. I knowingly invaded another CAGs territory (sorry yourlefthand, it was my best prospect), but I'll probably let him have that particular area to himself in the future because it's too overrun with trains of minivan mamas absolutely plundering sales like 10th centry vikings.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I thought I might see you there. There's plenty of room for both of us. I was told at several sales that there were people out looking only for videogames, which may explain why everything dried up so quickly.

And IATCG - this is a high cost of living area, but there is a lot of good stuff around here. The biggest contributor I think is that there are a lot of people who just don't think that old things have value. The guy sold me the xbox games I bought for less than they were marked without me asking.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So it is. I didn't even bother to double check since I don't buy/collect last gen stuff anymore.

Oh and floopy, if that's an 'average' day for you and you still got all of that while fighting off the 'minivan mamas', I could only imagine what you'd have scored if they all weren't there.:roll:

I thought getting some PSPGo's from Sears for $50 each was decent, but $10 for one? That's insane.[/QUOTE]

There are only a couple copies on ebay of each version, I know the xbox version is the one that is supposed to be rare but its possible the PS2 version is climbing in price as well. But still not a bad pickup for 3.99 as most of the stores around here have all their 9.99 and under PS2 games gutted and put in envelopes... The PSP version is climbing in value as well as there is only 1 disc-only copy on ebay and its going for a little over $16.00 and I also have that version. The game is very unique though as I don't think I have ever seen a racing game where you have to woo a girl while doing the challenges she is telling you to do..

[quote name='SaraAB']There are only a couple copies on ebay of each version, I know the xbox version is the one that is supposed to be rare but its possible the PS2 version is climbing in price as well. But still not a bad pickup for 3.99 as most of the stores around here have all their 9.99 and under PS2 games gutted and put in envelopes... The PSP version is climbing in value as well as there is only 1 disc-only copy on ebay and its going for a little over $16.00 and I also have that version. The game is very unique though as I don't think I have ever seen a racing game where you have to woo a girl while doing the challenges she is telling you to do..[/QUOTE]

Too realistic for me!

BTW: I am renting a uhaul and moving to VA.

Last Friday I picked up a DreamCast bundle with 2 controllers, and 24 games. $40

2012-04-13100220.jpg

At the same sale on Saturday I found a Nintendo 64 with 4 controllers, 2 memory cards, 2 expansion paks, and 2 GameBoy transfer packs. $10. Not posting a pic of the N64 stuff because everything is in crappy edition except the system. Gonna sell everything but the system and get my money back plus make a profit. Then I'm gonna paint the system white :D 1st time painting a system so it'll be interesting.

[quote name='lude21']According to vgpc , its the Xbox version of Outrun that's worth $25-$30.[/QUOTE]

and just to be precise. It is Outrun 2 Coast to Coast for the xbox. Not the plain old Outrun 2.

OK, I need to vent. I saw my nemesis for the first time this season.

He was with his wife and I was with my Mom, since we go to sales together about 2 weekends a year.

We are in an area where the streets are divided by a "natural median" (with trees and bark) and the road is split one lane per side that are one way. I was at the sale first and was parked far enough over so cars could pass.

When I was done at the sale his SUV was in the middle of the road running and in front of my car (so they obviously passed me).

I ask politely if that is their brown suv or jeep or whatever and I ask if they can move it so I can get down the street.

This dickhead tells me I can drive over the median and he isn't blocking me.

I said There is a tree stump there and I am in a car not an suv. Meanwhile his wife says she will move it.

So this asshole starts calling his wife back saying don't worry about it, he can cross the median.

Then my mom says, I have new tires on this car and I am not driving over the median.

By then the wife had already moved their car down the street and we left.

I am so pissed right now.

The thing that really bothers me is I am always in a good mood until I see him, so I am not as assertive/aggressive as I normally would be in a confrontation.

Hey Floopy, is this your ad looking for games? Or did whoever posted that "games wanted" ad steal your pic of 7 copies of Persona 2 (among other PS1 games), because that carpet and the angle of the pics sure match up exactly to yours.

5I95He5Jd3L73F53Nec4d89b875624f6d18f5.jpg

Ok I keep forgetting to post here. Last weekend it snowed, and this weekend its 80, and it appears yard sale season is in full swing.

First sale of the day, all for $7

Its a yellowed NES (no cords), austin powers pinball and crash warped (PS1), liberty city stories and Namco 50th (CIB) PS2.
Initial asking price $15
They had 2 ps2's but the av jack was messed up on one and the other one it said didn't like to read games. While I appreciate the honesty, I had to pass.

Second sale (this is the same crazy hoarder I got Metriod trilogy from) $50
Story ->
Ok so this guy thinks he's hot shit. He says he buys storage units, supposedly, but then says all these games were "his." He wants 50 bucks a system nes, snes, etc. So when I pick up the 3do he yells at his wife to go check ebay. He always seems to want to match the BIN pricing, says he sells all the time there, yet has most the same shit from the last yard sale. He wanted $100 for all below plus an SNES and GB pocket (see through).
I made a point to ask his "shot in the dark" as he called it price and paid before his wife came back.

It works!

manuals all 3do No games in sight, I'll swing by again tomorrow to see if he unearths any
Metroid other M artbook

4 gameboy games, pokemon gold and crystal, paperboy, and dr. mario

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad! There are a billion estate sales and large yard sales going on in my town now. I'm gonna go out tomorrow and hope for the best considering there's 100+ LISTED..

What do you guys find at estate sales? Around here the ones I've been to just end up being musty furniture, crappy books/knick-nacks, and once in a while a computer from 1995.

nice finds! i should start going to yard sales... i usually see signs in my neighborhood every weekend but never try and go. hehe!

Here's today's bounty:

gs2112.jpg

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Like-New): $10
Pink DSLite with a broken hinge: $2

Tried to get the guy to come down on MPT, but he wouldn't. Still a great buy, though. He also had Smash Bros. Brawl for $10, but that's right on the line for me. After eBay fees, it'd probably only be around $10 profit.

Finally went saleing today.

Guild Wars 1 complete $1
Kingdom Hearts 1/2 guides $5

Guy wanted $10 each for the guides but his dad said I could have both for $5. They're in pretty good condition. I realized I can't play Guild Wars since my optical drive is busted but I'll just find an external drive.

Picked up today:

.hack outbreak
.hack mutation
.hack infection
Final fantasy x
Grandia xtreme

All complete including dvds for. Hacks

Also

Metal gear solid vr missions (ps1 disc only)
Crimson skies (xbox disc only)

2 each so 14 for all. Wouldnt haggle but worth it. Good price. Passed on disc only freedom fighters because really scratched. Also dumbly passed o. Soul reaver ps1 complete because case had a crack. Had only discs at first but asked about cases and they found the ps2 ones. Also passed on jak 1 and 3 as I want the hd collection. They had cases for shadow of the collosus, kingdom hearts and star wars battlefront on xbox but couldnt find the discs. The rest of my sales were busts. Saw a few crappy kids ps2 games and an overpriced ps2 but thats it. Still a good day.

Went to 30+ sales today because there was a bunch of neighborhoods doing group sales.

Pretty much nothing! The only thing I actually bought was a complete Gameshark 2 for $2, which is a pretty damn good deal, but not very exciting. Last one I sold went for $80

Ended up being a pretty good weekend.

Friday was a little slow:

gs1-1.jpg

I know I overpaid for these at $5.00 each but I can't find my Goldeneye right now and I've never actually owned Mario Kart 64 (Yeah, it's shameful.)

gs2-1.jpg

The Yellow Game Boy Pocket was in a random box of stuff and the two games were marked $5.00 each. (hahaha) I paid $2 for everything.

That's all for Friday - the haul is pretty poor. But it got a whole lot better at one of the last sales I hit on Saturday. A garage sale contributor pulled up while I was there with a plastic tub full of games. Buyer's choice, only one quarter each: I grabbed all of them.

It was mostly NES.

gsnes2-1.jpg

Some boxes, some guides.

gsnes1-1.jpg

Some with a little more than that.

gsnes3-1.jpg

Some classics, and some surprises.

gsgen-1.jpg

Even a little Genesis action. Included is a copy of the video game version of notorious movie flop "Cutthroat Island" which appears to have been chewed on and guides for at least two games that were nowhere to be found.

gsnes4-1.jpg

Cool, real cool. Total price: $5

I must've went to 30 yard sales today. Most of the had women's clothes, baby clothes/toys, bootlegs dvds/cds.

I did pick up Scott Pilgrim vs the World GN Vol 2 - 5 for $0.50 cents a piece.

I also got Prince of Persia, Dead Rising, and the Limited Collecter's Edition Rainbow 6 Vegas for $5 each.

I asked him if he had other stuff since his wife was still loading stuff on the driveway. He comes back with a Jump Pack Brute action figure from the Halo 3 Collection ($%) and a Limited Edition Halo 3 Wireless Controller ($10) with a Master Chief figure inside

How much do you think I could re-sell the controller for?

63689cd4.jpg

Finally got myself a non-pink DS Lite for $30. It's got some sticker residue, but the screens are good; it should clean up nicely.

I also went to a community sale with 20-30 houses but they all seemed to be picked by retro guys; the three games I found weren't that exciting and will be turned into credit to break-even on gas. (Strikeout Tip: Phantasy Star Universe for PS2 is not the same as Ambition of the Illuminus, haha)

[quote name='orcafan8']What do you guys find at estate sales? Around here the ones I've been to just end up being musty furniture, crappy books/knick-nacks, and once in a while a computer from 1995.[/QUOTE]

Mostly crap; I got lucky once though finding an estate run by younger people who had three fanatic JRPG friends donate to the sale. Twelve of the games had been picked (I'm thinking Grandia and ps1 Lunars) but I still found $240-300 worth of stuff.

Your best bet with estate sales though is to look for free books (bulk) when they're getting ready to wrap up, especially if you have a local used bookstore that takes trade-ins. For reselling individual books myself, I keep an eye out for old radio-related technical books and anything more esoteric (Example: I did well on a $3 lot of books with titles like Roman Medicine, Medieval History--along with some nicely-bound Folio Society texts)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Mostly crap; I got lucky once though finding an estate run by younger people who had three fanatic JRPG friends donate to the sale. Twelve of the games had been picked (I'm thinking Grandia and ps1 Lunars) but I still found $240-300 worth of stuff.

Your best bet with estate sales though is to look for free books (bulk) when they're getting ready to wrap up, especially if you have a local used bookstore that takes trade-ins. For reselling individual books myself, I keep an eye out for old radio-related technical books and anything more esoteric (Example: I did well on a $3 lot of books with titles like Roman Medicine, Medieval History--along with some nicely-bound Folio Society texts)[/QUOTE]

K I feel a bit dumb, I never thought about selling them to the local bookstore. Lately every "estate" sale here is run by this little start up in town, where all the good stuff is on "the internet" before the sale takes place.

[quote name='orcafan8']K I feel a bit dumb, I never thought about selling them to the local bookstore. Lately every "estate" sale here is run by this little start up in town, where all the good stuff is on "the internet" before the sale takes place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, whenever you check ads it's good to think in terms of demographics: age group, economic class, whether or not they're resellers, etc. XD Mind you, I've found some okay deals on CDs even though the estate sale was run by a third party, but yeah if you know a business is siphoning off all the "good stuff" it's often better to direct your efforts towards more virgin territory.

No pictures becuase this stuff is headed right back out the door, but...

Atari 2600 with all cable, 3 controllers, Pacman - $3
Dreamcast, 3 controllers, no power cable - $2
2 DSLites, beat up, really, really bad - free
Super Smash Brothers, Sonic Adventure 2, Soulcaliber, Resident Evil Code Veronica, The House of the Dead 2 (last 4 Dreamcast), Twisted Metal Black - $5
Spongebob the Movie and Harry Potter - $.50
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 360 - $11
CoD: Black Ops, Scribblenauts, Lego Indiana Jones 1, Mario Kart DS (all for DS) - $14

Not a bad day. Taking most of these to GameStop to put towards a PS3.

bread's done
Back