* * * * * 7 votes

Japanese Video Game Figure Thread

figure collectible japan

#3061 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

Received my F4F Amaterasu. Poor quality photo:
f4f-okami-amaterasu.jpg

Some quick impressions:
-Heavy! The round base is very light, but the figure itself has a lot more weight to it than Japanese figures of a similar size.
-Comes already attached to base. Not sure if removable.
-Great sculpt and face. Tail has the ink dipped brush look. Flower stream looks nice. Tiny black rear-hole painted ^^
-If you look close in person, you'll notice more quality issues than you would on Japanese produced figures. Some paint chips, rough/bubbly areas, and stray black paint marks. Looks fine from normal viewing distance though.

I am very happy to get her for $60 + tax. Hot Topic did a fine job packaging her too. I could never afford a F4F resin statue, so this PVC option is a great alternative. Okami fans should give this statue a serious look.

#3062 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5131 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the impressions on Amaterasu, I had a code for $30 off a $75 purchase and decided to use it on her. It looks beautiful, I can't wait to have it on my shelf.

#3063 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

Right Stuf has a new batch of discounted "imperfect" figures up for sale; check their descriptions for details - https://www.rightstu...words=Imperfect

#3064 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

TOM has $20 off $50 coupons for the top 10 most-followed series of 2019: https://otakumode.co...el-coupons-2020

Series include Fate, Vocaloid, My Hero Academia, Sword Art Online, One Piece, Evangelion, Love Live, Demon Slayer, Persona, and Re:Zero.

Expires January 23.

#3065 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Nendoroid Lion King Simba (August 2020):

FIGURE-055736.jpg

I found it funny that my first thought on seeing this was not of the movie, but rather:

SNES-02.gif

Re-releases up for Nendo Witcher, Sora, and Riku.

Also a new Nendo up for Fortnite (spoilered because creepy):

Spoiler

Never played Fortnite, but I guess it's more than popular enough to get a Nendo.

WonFes is coming early February. The GSC exclusives have already been announced, including the Snow Parade Miku that was voted on last year:

01-1000x1000.jpg

I was hoping piano, accordion, or taiko would win, but French horn is cute too. I'll definitely be ordering Nendo Subaru. These will be available to order from GSC JP and GSC US Feb 8 - 17. GSC US should be the cheaper option for US buyers.

#3066 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

Also a new Nendo up for Fortnite (spoilered because creepy):

Spoiler

Never played Fortnite, but I guess it's more than popular enough to get a Nendo.

Now that I get a better look at it, those are strange proportions for a Nendoroid  :shock:

As for Snow Miku, this will be my first year since they started the design contests that I'm passing on any figures of her. My favorites were taiko, piano, and flute, in that order, but I would've been fine with any of the designs except for the one that won. I'm not a big fan of marching-band style figure designs, especially primary-colored ones, and the little off-kilter swish of hair on her front bangs is another turnoff. The twintails aren't very exciting, either :razz:

#3067 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sold on the French horn either. I thought taiko would be most popular among Japanese voters. An MFC poll had taiko as the favorite, followed closely by French horn (so there was interest) and then piano.

The colors were much more subdued in the French horn submitted design. GSC saturated the crap out of it. Here's a quick Photoshop to make it more like the original design:

snowmiku2020.jpg

I'm glad GSC is releasing a 2.0 ver of the original Nendo Snow Miku. I have a few Snow Mikus but never got the original.

#3068 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:27 PM

The colors were much more subdued in the French horn submitted design.

Even with the subdued colors, she's still a hard pass for me, though she does look more wintery :razz:

#3069 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

Got my first GSC Pop Up Parade figure, Goblin Slayer. The best description would be it's one step above a prize figure. Similar to prize figures, the paint is flat (though nice metallic paint for the armor), the base is plain, and the scale is below 1/8. Quality wise though, I didn't notice any of the usual problems you see in prize figures. To be fair, Goblin Slayer is meant to look dirty, so if there are paint flaws, they could be disguised. The weight of the figure is good too, maybe a little more than a typical prize.

I like what I've seen so far of GSC PUP. Considering picking up Saitama and Genos next.

Oh, and Nendo Best Frog is up for pre-order:

FIGURE-055983.jpg

#3070 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

TOM Valentine's Sale: https://otakumode.co...lentinesale2020

Ends 2/14. Some decent deals in there, but also things they are calling "on sale" are the same price as always. Basically, anything 20% or less off is the usual price, while anything over 40% off is actually on sale.

#3071 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

TOM is carrying F4F's PVC statues now! Glad I held off on getting their PVC Ammy; my points will cover that one nicely :D

...and now TOM has cancelled my order for her -_- As for the reason, all they said was, "Unfortunately, our distributor has contacted us to let us know that due complications they will be unable to fulfill their order with us."

#3072 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:01 PM

...and now TOM has cancelled my order for her -_- As for the reason, all they said was, "Unfortunately, our distributor has contacted us to let us know that due complications they will be unable to fulfill their order with us."

Damn, that sucks. It was their first time carrying F4F figures, so I guess their supply chain wasn't reliable for them.

You can still grab Amaterasu from Hot Topic for $60 + tax using the method I posted before. Even if you can't use your TOM points, that is still a sweet price for her.

#3073 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Damn, that sucks. It was their first time carrying F4F figures, so I guess their supply chain wasn't reliable for them.

You can still grab Amaterasu from Hot Topic for $60 + tax using the method I posted before. Even if you can't use your TOM points, that is still a sweet price for her.

Yeah, I looked into that to see if it was still active just before visiting this thread again, and I think I'll go that route ^^

#3074 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Checking TOM just now, they have other F4F figures still up for pre-order. I think they sold the first run of BotW Link as well. I wonder what makes Amaterasu's supply different...

#3075 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Nendoroid Waddle Dee (September 2020):

FIGURE-056126.jpg

Also re-releases up for Nendos Kirby and Ice Kirby.

#3076 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

HS bargain bin starts tonight, 11pm EST.

Heads up to TOM shoppers:

1) Starting 2/6 JST, there will be a cap on the amount of TOM points you can use per order. There will be a 50% cap (20% non-premium) per order. So if you're buying a $100 figure, you can only use up to $50 ($20 non-premium) of points. Previously, there was no cap, and you could buy a figure using all TOM points and just pay the shipping out of pocket.

How does this affect you? I was going to talk math here, but there's already a good discussion going on at MFC: https://myfigurecoll....net/blog/44829 -edit- article removed from MFC, but there is less technical talk going on in the shop forum: https://myfigurecoll...w&threadId=7182

You have until 2/6 to spend your points like normal if you prefer. The new style of point usage is still viable, but to make it work well you will have to aim at making larger orders with equally larger oop expenses. Personally, I liked being able to occasionally get an expensive scale for little oop.

2) TOM plans on adding the ability to ship "eligible" figures with the same release month in a single shipment. This has been a much needed feature, especially for cheaper prizes where shipping individually was too expensive in comparison to the low cost of each figure.

#3077 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

Yay to the second thing, boo to the first thing. They have long been much more expensive to ship from compared to AmiAmi and especially HLJ (my main store).

As for the points thing... thanks to TOM and being able to use points to pay off entire orders (before shipping), I had started buying more scales that I would have otherwise (though to be fair, one or two were must-gets regardless of the type of figure they were). I will probably start buying fewer scales now, and will likely not use TOM much at all, unless they lower their prices to be more on par with the Japanese shops. As far as US stores go, there's other good options out there for items like JP-exclusive/US-standard S.H.Figuarts, in case I need to comparison shop.

Also... yay, HS Bargain Bin time!

#3078 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

I was using TOM for scales as well. Well, I mostly use HLJ for scales, and recently I've started to lean towards Amazon JP for them thanks to no Japan consumption tax and EMS-speed shipping at small packet prices (even for boxes larger than small packet), but TOM points were a nice way to get an expensive scale at a more reasonable oop price.

When I saw the policy change email last night, I used up my points on Rin Shima (paid 80% with points).

#3079 elessar123  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

Yea, that's the one I almost ended up using my points on. But I ended up buying Date A Live Tohka Yatogami and used 100% of points on it. Have $2 left. It's the last of my points from the 2B/NGNL order from like Holiday 2018, since I haven't bought many figures last year.

#3080 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

I have around $80 in points right now thanks to the Ammy refund, but there's nothing from TOM that I really want right now. Don't know if I'll renew Premium yet, but I have until mid-November to think about it.

#3081 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

Speaking of Ammy, mine arrived from Hot Topic on Sunday. They did a fantastic packing job, but the figure itself is broken:

I hadn't noticed this at first, but was inspired to double-check when Aya-kun, another MFC VIB, said that some people have had issues with their statues, and as it turned out, her (exclusive ver.!) Ammy came with a broken tail:

She lives in Germany (ETA: correction, the UK. I get her and Kibi mixed up a lot -_-) as well, so I can only imagine the headache this brought her. Hopefully F4F can help her out.

As for me, I called Hot Topic about an exchange, but they're sold out of the statues now. So, it's either try and fix her myself (should be doable, though I'm a little worried about that part slipping in the future) or exchange for a refund. Fortunately, I have a little bit of time to think about it.

#3082 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

Sorry you have had such bad luck with Amaterasu (first the cancellation, now the breakage). The damage looks pretty clean, like you could just put some glue on the pegs and plop Divine Retribution right back onto her. I hope it works out for you ^^

#3083 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:18 AM

The damage looks pretty clean, like you could just put some glue on the pegs and plop Divine Retribution right back onto her. I hope it works out for you ^^

Pretty much my line of thinking, though as I said, I'm a little concerned about how well it'll hold up long term. Good thing one of the pegs is intact. And thanks ^^

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping her, but I'm going to examine the figure some more sometime soon. If there's any other significant problems, she's definitely going back.

#3084 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

Nendoroid Death Stranding Sam Bridges (August 2020):

FIGURE-056369.jpg

Pictured is the more expensive Great Deliverer ver which includes 21 storage containers (instead of 4), hood up, hair down, and sunglasses.

#3085 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

GSC WonFes exclusives are up for pre-order. Cheaper to buy from GSC US thanks to free shipping.

MFC WonFes 2020 Winter The List is up: https://myfigurecoll....net/blog/44825

Some video-game related figures (view the full list for more):

Nendo Neptunia Neptune 10th anniversary: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945603

Nendo Neptunia Purple Heart: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/941882

PUP Journey The Traveler: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945919

Nendo Monster Hunter World Male Zenogre Alpha Armor ver: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/946117

Nendo Overwatch Reinhardt: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945913

Nendo Witcher 3 Yennefer: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945929

Nendo Touhou Marisa Kirisame 2.0: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945879

Kotobukiya ARTFXJ 1/7 Pokemon Red: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945911

Figma Death Stranding Cliff: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945854

Figma Splatoon 2 Hime: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945852

Figma Splatoon 2 Iida: https://myfigurecoll...net/item/945855

Awesome surprise to see them give Journey attention after all these years ^^

#3086 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:45 PM

Not much new for me aside from Nendo Marisa and the Pop-Up Parade MHA figures (Midoriya and Bakugo at least).

Kotobukiya and MegaHouse had some new Pokemon figures to show. MegaHouse's Electric-type figure looks fun, though several people weren't happy with the quality of their previous Eeveelution-themed release. Meanwhile, Koto is making Red... yet again.

There's plenty of other video game figures (Atelier, Fate, Persona, etc.) from non-GSC affiliated companies as well, so definitely check out The List! Also, as a reminder, Square Enix traditionally doesn't show at WonFes, but they do at Toy Fair, which is coming up towards the end of this month. Hope they'll have new info about certain Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy figures they announced last year.

#3087 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Vagrant-Story-Bring-Arts-Figures-20th-An

Welp, I'm freaking out. My favorite game of all time is getting the Bring Arts treatment. This feels like a dream.

https://twitter.com/...746995395592192

#3088 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4519 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

Nendoroid Bloodborne Hunter (August 2020):

FIGURE-056607.jpg

Nendoroid Monster Hunter World Female Nargacuga Alpha Armor Ver (August 2020):

FIGURE-056608.jpg

The DX version (pictured) comes with an interchangeable head part for displaying the hunter with a ponytail haircut, the Hidden Tomahawk I Dual Blades, a critical hit effect part, a Demondrug consumable and an original eye glint effect part.

#3089 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

In love with the Narga hunter. Despite BB being one of my all-time favorite things, I'm weirdly not super into the nendo. Think I might just stick with the figma this time around.

#3090 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4380 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

I'm gonna return Amaterasu after all. Took a more in-depth look at her today to help me decide whether or not to keep her and noticed a bunch of tiny little paint flaws for the first time. The visible seam marks I don't mind so much, but not this paint job. That combined with the reflector damage makes her an easy return.

It's disappointing, to say the least. I hope an Ammy figma gets made since I don't much like the chubbiness of the Nendo.