The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards - Awards Ceremony

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-L=4876]4504[/IMG-L]Welcome to The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards! It's the only awards that recognize the best (and worst) in video game retail, nominated and voted on by the Cheap Ass Gamers, the most knowledgeable video game shoppers in the world. This year, the CAGs voted across 13 different retail related categories and 5 CAG community categories.

Congratulations to BlueLobstah and langjaikenny both of whom have won a $500 Amazon Gift Certificate for participating in the Cheapy Awards voting.

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com

Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com

Best Game Trade-In Program: Amazon.com

CAG Community Award: Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon takes home four awards this year, marking the 6th year in a row they've won Best Online Retailer and Best Online Customer Service, and their 3rd consecutive Best Game Trade-in Program win. Tony (Amazon DVG Deals), also picked up the CAG Community Award for his interactions with the CAG collective.

In response to their impressive victories, the Amazon Video Game Team provide a few statements:

"We’d like to thank the CAG community for these distinguished awards. This recognition really means a lot to us since everything we do is focused on providing the best customer experience for gamers. Also, being gamers ourselves (as well as veteran CAG users), this is especially humbling. Thank you again"

The Amazon Trade-in team adds:

"To all the CAG members who voted for Amazon.com as top trade-in program, thank you! We appreciate your feedback and have always taken your concerns seriously. We have a lot of great things planned for this year, so stay tuned!"

And last, but certainly not least, Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals, winner of the CAG Community Award, states:

"Thanks for the phenomenal support this year, I can’t tell you how honored I am to receive the CAG Community award. I’m extremely proud of the tight knit group we have helping shape and drive our business here on CAG and want to personally thank all of you for your constant feedback, suggestions, and evangelism. It is amazing to browse through the internet and find CAGs spreading the word about Amazon Game Downloads. I hope 2012 is shaping up to be as awesome as you all expected, we’ve got a ton more in store for you!

Cheers,
Tony

P.S. The Hamsters send their thanks as well, we gave them all a day off to celebrate."

Best Online Deal: Steam: Holiday Sale

The fourth time is the charm for Steam, as this is the forth year in a row they have been nominated for Best Online Deal and after years of coming up short, Steam finally wins their first-ever Cheapy Award. Congratulations to the folks at Steam/Valve and best of luck in the future.

Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly

In it's 3 years of existence, GameFly wins the Best Used Game Retailer award for the 2nd time. Monthly and sometimes nightly sales which include cheap prices, free shipping and a guarantee of a box and manual helped push GameFly past last year's winner, Amazon Warehouse Deals.

A representative from GameFly addressed their win with this statement:

"GameFly is thrilled to have been recognized as the Best Used Game Retailer from the CAG community for 2011. We strive to deliver the best possible customer experience whether it be in rentals, new game sales, digital game sales/subscription service or used game sales. We hope we continue satisfying our consumers in all service categories in 2012!"

Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy

Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Best Buy: Black Friday Deals

Best Buy was outshined by Kmart last year, but works its way back to the top, picking up it's 5th Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer award. Best Buy also picks up the Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year award for their outstanding Black Friday deals. In addition, Best Buy's Deal of the Day sales managed to finish in 2nd place.

Biggest CAG Shopping News: Nintendo 3DS Price Drop

Nintendo dropping the price of the 3DS just 5 months after release was the biggest shopping news for CAG readers. In order to not upset early adopters "Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors Program" allowed existing 3DS owners to download ten NES games and ten Game Boy Advance games as compensation for paying an $80 premium on their 3DS handhelds. This was such big news it even overshadowed GameStop's Onlive voucher fiasco.

Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award: Enuf

The Deal Buster award was very tight this year, which highlights how important everyone's contributions are to CAG.

Enuf responded to his victory with the following statement:

"I just want to thank the CAG community for all the support & I'll keep trying my best to provide as many deals as possible to save CAGs' money. Thanks again, and I'm glad so many people where able to save money from deals that I found."

Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: Play-Asia.com

This is the 6th year that Play-Asia has taken home a Cheapy award, dominating the competition.

Jan Neuhaeusser, Director, Play-Asia.com responded with the following:

"Gratefully we accept the award for being voted the best Specialty game retailer. Play-Asia.com is constantly seeking out to improve the service, variety, logistics and of course: pricing! We are closing in on our first decade in business this year and we've come a long way. We wouldn't be here without you, our loyal customers – a big Thank You to all our supporters!"

Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer

Yup, CAG rules.

Best Game Value:
Skyrim

In previous years, this category is usually one of the closest races, but the power of (and abundance of content in) Skyrim made this year's contest a landslide victory.

Pete Hines from Bethesda responds:

On behalf of everyone at Bethesda, thanks to the CAG community for awarding us Best Game Value of 2011. We’re pleased folks have enjoyed the game and think it’s the best bang for their buck.

Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com

Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop

Yup, it's the 6th year in a row for GameStop, as the winners of the Worst Online Game Retailer and Worst B&M Game Retailer "awards". It wasn't all doom and gloom for GameStop this year as they were able to snag a nomination for Best Game Trade-In Program.

Most Memorable CAG Villain: Gargus

Super close race for the award I care the least about.

Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG/PS3 Red Faction: Guerrilla Night

As you can deduce from the name, The Red Faction: Guerrilla thread has been around for awhile. In fact, it was nominated for this award last year and lost.

I contacted bmachine to inform him of the win, and he response is below:

"Thanks to everyone who voted for the Red Faction: Guerrilla thread! The game is certainly getting on in years and, while we don't play together as much as we used to, the friendships made on RFG night persevere.

We're grateful to CheapyD for allowing us to use his website to bring like-minded gamers together and for everyone that's ever enjoyed this amazing game with us."

Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight

Congratulations to The Mana Knight, whose blog provides an eye-opening look at what it's like to be a modern-day gamer, among other things.

The Mana Knight provided the following statement:

"I want to thank everyone for reading/looking my blogs ever since they first started on CAG. I enjoy blogging about the random things that go on in my life and look forward to continue doing it for many more years to come. Just keep on reading since you all will see what I do next."

Thanks to all the CAGs who participated in this years voting and nominations for The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards. A special thumbs-up to the award winning retailers who provided us with great deals and service in 2011. See you next year!

Quick rundown of winners:

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com
Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com
Best Online Deal: Steam Holiday Sale
Best Game Trade-in Program: Amazon.com
Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly
Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy
Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Best Buy: Black Friday Sales
Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: Play-Asia.com
Biggest CAG Shopping News: Nintendo 3DS Price Drop
Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer
Best Game Value: Syrim
Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com
Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop
CAG Community Award: Tony, Amazon DVG Deals
CAG Deal Buster: Enuf
Most Memorable CAG Villain: Gargus
Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG/PS3 Red Faction: Guerrilla Night
Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight

Previous winners:
8th Annual Cheapy Awards
7th Annual Cheapy Awards
6th Annual Cheapy Awards
5th Annual Cheapy Awards
4th Annual Cheapy Awards
3rd Annual Cheapy Awards
2nd Annual Cheapy Awards
1st Annual Cheapy Awards

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon Über Alles

Grats to the winners!

CheapyD, When are you going to change the best online retailer to the "Amazon Best Online Retailer award"?
While your at it the best online customer service to the "Amazon Best Online Customer Service award". Next, the worst brick and mortar to the "Gamestop Worst Brick and Mortar award" and finally, the worst online retailer to the "Gamestop Worst Online Retailer award".

I highly doubt any of other companies are going to win the awards while those companies are nominations.

Sweet! Don't think I've ever won anything from CAG before. Thanks for running the contest Cheapy! Might be time to finally buy an Xbox. ;)

But... but I had this bit about Metal Gear Solid cutscenes... and about how slow reavers were in Brood War... and that painful text crawl that you got whenever Ramza did his internal monologue thing in Final Fantasy Tactics... and... and...

God fucking dammit, Cheapy.

This just tells me the XBLA thread needs something to get over the last few %. Hello 90's animated gifs and scrolling marquees.

Congrats to all the winners. Special congrats to enuf.

Congrats to all the winners :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You need to either kill the trading award or stop nominating your own site for it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='evildeadjedi']CheapyD, When are you going to change the best online retailer to the "Amazon Best Online Retailer award"?
While your at it the best online customer service to the "Amazon Best Online Customer Service award". Next, the worst brick and mortar to the "Gamestop Worst Brick and Mortar award" and finally, the worst online retailer to the "Gamestop Worst Online Retailer award".

I highly doubt any of other companies are going to win the awards while those companies are nominations.[/QUOTE]
How about Lifetime Achievement Awards for certain categories? Perhaps something similar to what Wired did for their Vaporware Awards after Duke Nukem Forever kept winning year after year.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Sweet! Don't think I've ever won anything from CAG before. Thanks for running the contest Cheapy! Might be time to finally buy an Xbox. ;)[/QUOTE]

Boo this man!

Congrats to all the winners!

IMO the best deals from last year came from all those various indie bundles... no special category or recognition/acknowledgment for them??

[quote name='blueshinra']Congrats to all the winners :)

How about Lifetime Achievement Awards for certain categories? Perhaps something similar to what Wired did for their Vaporware Awards after Duke Nukem Forever kept winning year after year.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I'm talking about the insanely huge conflict of interest that is letting CAG win its own award. It kind of brings the rest of the awards down because there's no integrity to them. Cheapy needs to rethink some of these awards and add new ones since digital distribution services aren't represented at all.

The fact that BB won best B&M retailer only goes to show how piss-poor retail is now. I 1000% disagree with that, btw. I would have voted for fucking Wal-Mart over Best Buy.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I'm talking about the insanely huge conflict of interest that is letting CAG win its own award. It kind of brings the rest of the awards down because there's no integrity to them. Cheapy needs to rethink some of these awards and add new ones since digital distribution services aren't represented at all.[/QUOTE]

... Steam is on there multiple times... And normally, I would agree with you on the CAG thing, but many people, obviously, legitimately feel that it IS the best place for trading. I am not one of them, but I've actually seen many posts on Goozex about people doing more and more trades here, and less there, so I really don't see why it should be excluded when it is a legitimate choice. But yeah, there should be a "Best PC DD platform award" if for no other reason so that anyone that votes for Origin can be banned from the site... Only slightly joking.

[quote name='mietha']... Steam is on there multiple times... And normally, I would agree with you on the CAG thing, but many people, obviously, legitimately feel that it IS the best place for trading. I am not one of them, but I've actually seen many posts on Goozex about people doing more and more trades here, and less there, so I really don't see why it should be excluded when it is a legitimate choice. But yeah, there should be a "Best PC DD platform award" if for no other reason so that anyone that votes for Origin can be banned from the site... Only slightly joking.[/QUOTE]
It's up for best retailer when it's not a retailer. There should be a digital distribution category for various services on PC and consoles that offer deals. Ignoring that aspect of the market is a fairly big hole in the list of categories.

It doesn't matter what CAGs think is best when it's an award for other sites. Cheapy himself said last year in the nomination thread that he should have excluded CAG from nominations, but allowed it due to his mistake. That it happened again shows that Cheapy doesn't care at all about the integrity of the award and should just remove it since it's only there now to stroke his ego.

[quote name='mietha']... Steam is on there multiple times... And normally, I would agree with you on the CAG thing, but many people, obviously, legitimately feel that it IS the best place for trading. I am not one of them, but I've actually seen many posts on Goozex about people doing more and more trades here, and less there, so I really don't see why it should be excluded when it is a legitimate choice. But yeah, there should be a "Best PC DD platform award" if for no other reason so that anyone that votes for Origin can be banned from the site... Only slightly joking.[/QUOTE]

I think I might have an origin account because of swtor and that makes me sad. Get out of the DD business EA and leave it to steam.

[quote name='mietha']The fact that BB won best B&M retailer only goes to show how piss-poor retail is now. I 1000% disagree with that, btw. I would have voted for fucking Wal-Mart over Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Your not serious are you?

The only thing those two retailers have in common is a price match policy.

Best Buy = deals
Wal-Mart = No Deals

Best Buy = Rewards program
Wal-Mart = No rewards program

That and any retail store where you have to wait for an employee to unlock a cabinet to get a game (Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us, Walmart) should lose points.

Taking a quick look at the winners just reminds me how much of a hard on people have for Amazon (who had shit ass physical media deals in 2011 and thus far in 2012) and how badly people still hate bestbuy for the way it was run years ago.

I think I said this last year, but I'll say it again. I love how Gamestop is voted worst online and B & M retailer every year...yet as soon as a B2G1 happens, it's the most popular store in the world. I guess it can't be all that bad if everyone here (myself included) spends hundreds of dollars there every few months.

[quote name='mightymek']I think I said this last year, but I'll say it again. I love how Gamestop is voted worst online and B & M retailer every year...yet as soon as a B2G1 happens, it's the most popular store in the world. I guess it can't be all that bad if everyone here (myself included) spends hundreds of dollars there every few months.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I think this hate carries over into all the categories that GS is nominated in. I don't understand how it doesn't win Best Trade-In Program when Amazon has the same TIV for games and hasn't had a single promotion for trades all year. On top of that the games that you trade in have to be in pristine condition while places like GS or even Best Buy take disc-only.

[quote name='GBAstar']m

That and any retail store where you have to wait for an employee to unlock a cabinet to get a game (Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us, Walmart) should lose points.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

Although..

I remember way back when, at TRU, you used to have to grab the ticket from the game aisle, bring it to the register to purchase it, then bring it to that guy who was locked inside that huge glass box with games everywhere. It was the coolest thing ever when I was young. Now that I am older, I can see it being a huge pain in the ass. Most games have anti-theft devices or are put in those large plastic cases, I don't see why either of those stores don't use them.

Having them locked in a case, waiting for an employee is a huge waste of time.

[quote name='mightymek']I think I said this last year, but I'll say it again. I love how Gamestop is voted worst online and B & M retailer every year...yet as soon as a B2G1 happens, it's the most popular store in the world. I guess it can't be all that bad if everyone here (myself included) spends hundreds of dollars there every few months.[/QUOTE]

I actually like the B&M stores. It's Gamestop.com that is the problem, with them often sending out knowingly defective games in broken, generic cases. The only reason I order from them is because they let you swap out the games in store.

I've actually gotten very good deals from Best Buy this year. Some of their employees are complete douches (though I don't have any issues with the employees at my gaming department, besides the fact that they initially did not know how to use the trade-in machine, and it was fun unloading hundreds of disc only PS2 sports games on them).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's up for best retailer when it's not a retailer. There should be a digital distribution category for various services on PC and consoles that offer deals. Ignoring that aspect of the market is a fairly big hole in the list of categories.[/QUOTE]

Steam fits the basic definition of a retailer; digital distribution is, ultimately, just another type of retail. There's the exclusive platforms, sure, but that would be like saying stores for various cell phone carriers, Apple Stores, etc. are not retail since their products are intended to be used within a closed, or otherwise well-defined, ecosystem.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It doesn't matter what CAGs think is best when it's an award for other sites. Cheapy himself said last year in the nomination thread that he should have excluded CAG from nominations, but allowed it due to his mistake. That it happened again shows that Cheapy doesn't care at all about the integrity of the award and should just remove it since it's only there now to stroke his ego.[/QUOTE]
Lifetime Achievement Award for CAG and move on. Either that, or change the name of the category so it reflects the exclusion.

The Cheapys are about as timely as CAG 3.0.

382oh_snap.jpg

[quote name='blueshinra']Steam fits the basic definition of a retailer; digital distribution is, ultimately, just another type of retail. [/quote]
You have to go to a basic definition for it to make any sense, but they're offering different things with a very different focus so it's a sign that Cheapy needs to rethink these awards since they haven't really changed at all in nine years.

[quote name='blueshinra']Lifetime Achievement Award for CAG and move on. Either that, or change the name of the category so it reflects the exclusion.[/QUOTE]
The point is that it should not have won the award at all, so giving it another award is not the solution. Remove it for good or get rid of the category since it's a conflict of interest that ruins the integrity of all of the awards.

Edit: Just looking at the amount of votes each category got this year and last, there was about a 50% drop that shows that Cheapy mishandled the basic task of just letting people know that these things existed.

[quote name='reddjoey']This just tells me the XBLA thread needs something to get over the last few %. Hello 90's animated gifs and scrolling marquees.[/QUOTE]

You were robbed! The top two vote getters work for Amazon and K-Mart. Nothing against them, it's just they're directly or indirectly getting paid to be here. They also have the ability to help get customer service issues resolved.

On the other hand, you keep the XBLA thread up to date out of the goodness of your sweet little heart. Easily my favorite thread on CAG.

So GameStop is worse than Wal-Mart? Can someone tell me how many deals Wal-Mart had throughout 2011... besides black friday.

Wal-Mart = the land of MSRP.

Enjoy Best Buy for the next 24 months before it goes bankrupt. Then amazon will win the award for best retailer killer.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']You were robbed! The top two vote getters work for Amazon and K-Mart. Nothing against them, it's just they're directly or indirectly getting paid to be here. They also have the ability to help get customer service issues resolved.

On the other hand, you keep the XBLA thread up to date out of the goodness of your sweet little heart. Easily my favorite thread on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support, but it is what it is. They are contributing to the community and that's what the award is for.

Congrats to ManaKnight for winning blog of 2011!
Also, props to DaddyBoJangles for runner up.

Super duper trillion thank yous to the 183 people that voted making my blog 3rd place! My posts which 99% contains my webshow, BevNerd! Without CAG, there wouldn't be a BevNerd. Without BevNerd, I would only have a JOB filling up vending machines and no creative outlet. With BevNerd, I am seriously focused on making this whatever-this-is a real thing and career for me and be my own boss.

Congrats to the winners, especially to the individuals putting in all the hard work, not just the big corporate names.

[quote name='jello44']
I remember way back when, at TRU, you used to have to grab the ticket from the game aisle, bring it to the register to purchase it, then bring it to that guy who was locked inside that huge glass box with games everywhere. It was the coolest thing ever when I was young. Now that I am older, I can see it being a huge pain in the ass. Most games have anti-theft devices or are put in those large plastic cases, I don't see why either of those stores don't use them. [/QUOTE]

The TRU here is STILL that way!! :whistle2:# Although, I kind of like it still, because you don't have to worry about those anti-theft spider wraps or plastic cases causing damage to the game cases. Usually not that big of a deal, but sometimes.

Now, if only this TRU wasn't in such disarray that it looks like a tornado went thru it :whee:

Aww, SHC Josh lost. Props to him for trying to turn around a failing store. FriskyTanuki should have got more votes too. I could care less about "digital" amazon downloads. I agree with the other amazon wins, but not that.

The Skyrim best value voting results says it all, no other game offers that much (awesome) content at $60 (even less for those of us that got a steal of a deal).

Gamestop is a necessary evil. Where else would you go to trade in your disc only game with snot crusted on it. Amazon wins points for their requirements on used games, imo. I am a buyer much much more than a seller. Amazon Black Friday was disappointing, but that's only a few days of the year. Which I spent a lot of money at Amazon with other random deals. They also match other deals very competitively.

Newegg has been killing it lately personally, hope to see them be a bigger contender next year.

Don't remember any of those villains...totally not memorable.

The Awards did seem like they ended a bit late, but you got to remember Cheapy gives everyone time to respond so he can edit the first post. It's all on the winners for the delay!

And Congrats to the winners!

[quote name='Chase']We're trying something new with the MMA thread. Next year, that award will be ours! ;)[/QUOTE]

Even though I've rarely post in the thread, it is easily my favorite. I was really surprised to see it got that many votes. It is only going to get better now that you're running it man! Not bashing Grave or anything.

Any who. GameStop constantly wins worst trade-in and B&M but I think they deserve some slack. Where else can you go in and find older titles for a decent price, on demand? I know it's gotten harder to flip their own games to them for a profit, but they are still -ok- even though I did not step foot in there once at all in 2011.

CAG Community Award, I was almost certain SHC had that one in the bag. The guy was so dedicated in to making sure everyone had their coupons and stock was at their store, it was unreal. Not to take anything away from the Amazon guy, but having followed SHC threads for so long, I just don't think they came close.

I also don't understand how Amazon won Best Trade-In Program. Ever since the whole NorAm scandal, it's been a shit hole. Best Buy should have got that one, no doubt. The fact that you could buy Amazon Kindle cards in store and Pre-paid Visa's (- $7 fee.. not bad for pretty much cold hard cash) Made it definitely worth it. Not to mention since the induction of the @Gamer program, having credit there is not an entirely bad thing.

Lastly, the hate with CAG winning best trading website. I can see how it is pretty controversial to nominate your own entity for a runner in the awards. Fact of the matter though, it really is awesome. Pretty much the only website I feel comfortable in shipping my games and not expecting to get screwed. I know scammers are inevitable, but there's just something about this community that makes me feel safe. I've gotten a good amount of trades I felt really satisfied, where I couldn't get anything similar had I traded in.

Overall I can't say I'm too surprised with the results. I only hated that it took two months with no updates to get the final outcome. Cheapy is a busy man though. Mo' money, mo' problems! The man does have his own DLC, after all ;)

Stinks that SHC Josh didn't win. Oh well.

I'd love to see Gargus' reaction. I would hope his disdain of discussing celebrities, of which he is one now, would override his joy of winning an award.

[quote name='mietha']The fact that BB won best B&M retailer only goes to show how piss-poor retail is now. I 1000% disagree with that, btw. I would have voted for fucking Wal-Mart over Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Someone hasn't been paying attention.

bread's done
Back