Fishy ebay buyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wugenius

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
So someone won my 3ds system auction and something seems fishy.

Their address, which I won't post in it's entirety so I will default some of the stuff, shows this on both paypal and ebay:

(Name remmoved)
219 Prescott Pl
217 prescott plc
City, State, Zip (Not putting this info here)

It shows two address numbers. the 219 and the 217 on the same street. I tried mapquesting the address, and it shows an error. But it will find it if I use the 219 by itself, and it finds it when I use the 217 address by itself.

Why in the world would a seller put their address like that? And it shows confirmed on paypal.

I also checked to see what their latest feedback left for someone, and they recently left a negative to a seller for never receiving the item, yet the seller responds that the tracking shows it was delivered. You can see her ebay profile here:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...gladys12compras&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

What do you guys think? If she responds with the correct address, what can I do to protect myself in case she tries to say she never got the item? Will paypal believe the buyer even if I have proof of delivery or a signature? I am afraid because her confirmed address is that funky address, and if I ship it somewhere else, I don't want paypal to tell me that since I didn't ship to the confirmed address, I wont be protected.

Any and all help is appreciated!

[quote name='confoosious']get signature confirmation even though ebay/paypal doesn't require it.[/QUOTE]

If I do ship this out, I will use signature confirmation AND insurance. I don't want to risk it. Will paypal have my back if she tries to say she never got it?

Can't you ask the buyer to change the address to only have one street address, or at least explain why there are two address locations (and hopefully get it changed anyway)?

[quote name='G33']Can't you ask the buyer to change the address to only have one street address, or at least explain why there are two address locations (and hopefully get it changed anyway)?[/QUOTE]

Thats the first thing i did. Awaiting their response.
Im just afraid they will clarify it, thrn if they say they never got it, paypal will say since i didnt ship it exactly to the confirmed address then i might be screwed.

Yeah, they are on east coast time, and I'm in cali so they probably won't respond. I am not shipping anything until I get clarification. Thinking of even calling paypal and explaining the situation to make sure I'd be covered.

[quote name='wugenius']If I do ship this out, I will use signature confirmation AND insurance. I don't want to risk it. Will paypal have my back if she tries to say she never got it?[/QUOTE]

usually...

[quote name='wugenius']Thats the first thing i did. Awaiting their response.
Im just afraid they will clarify it, thrn if they say they never got it, paypal will say since i didnt ship it exactly to the confirmed address then i might be screwed.[/QUOTE]

but if you edit the address, it might void the "Must Ship To Address" to qualify rule.

You know what I would do? Refund the money and tell her to repay once she fixes her address. If she doesn't, get your fees back from ebay.

This sounds shady as hell.

Real quick...

What was the final selling price INCLUDING shipping?

If the total price is less then $250 you only need delivery confirmation. If it is OVER $250 you need signature confirmation.

If the total value was less then $250 and you use delivery confirmation as long as USPS delivers the item to somewhere in the buyers zip code you will win an Item Not Received claim (INR).

IMPORTANT:

If you contact the buyer and they tell you through eBay messaging or e-mail (it doesn't really matter) that the address is wrong and to ship to xyz address DO NOT DO IT unless you refund and reinvoice.

If you ship to an address besides what is on the PayPal invoice (their address on eBay doesn't matter for shit) you will lose your seller protection.

You MUST ship it to the address that is on the PayPal invoice.

[quote name='GBAstar']Real quick...

If the total price is less then $250 you only need delivery confirmation. If it is OVER $250 you need signature confirmation.

If the total value was less then $250 and you use delivery confirmation as long as USPS delivers the item to somewhere in the buyers zip code you will win an Item Not Received claim (INR).

IMPORTANT:

If you contact the buyer and they tell you through eBay messaging or e-mail (it doesn't really matter) that the address is wrong and to ship to xyz address DO NOT DO IT unless you refund and reinvoice.

If you ship to an address besides what is on the PayPal invoice (their address on eBay doesn't matter for shit) you will lose your seller protection.

You MUST ship it to the address that is on the PayPal invoice.[/QUOTE]

It was about $170.
Thank you. This is helpful. I figured that this would be the case. I wonder if they fix it on paypal, if it will show as unconfirmed. How in the hell could paypal confirm a wonky ass address?

[quote name='GBAstar']Real quick...

IMPORTANT:

You MUST ship it to the address that is on the PayPal invoice.[/QUOTE]

But here's the beauty of this scam (if it's in fact a scam and not just one fucked up address)

They list two addresses

217 Main Street
219 Main Street
Anytown, State, USA

I don't think paypal would even let you ship to that address (as in it gives you an error message trying to print the label) so you contact them and they tell you to edit it to 217 or 219. Then they claim they never got it cause they're the OTHER address. And why the hell did you change the address? They didn't tell you to change the address. Meanwhile, paypal sees that you didn't send it to the address on the transaction...

You see what I mean? Signature confirmation would probably help a lot but this sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

[quote name='confoosious']But here's the beauty of this scam (if it's in fact a scam and not just one fucked up address)

They list two addresses

217 Main Street
219 Main Street
Anytown, State, USA

I don't think paypal would even let you ship to that address (as in it gives you an error message trying to print the label) so you contact them and they tell you to edit it to 217 or 219. Then they claim they never got it cause they're the OTHER address. And why the hell did you change the address? They didn't tell you to change the address. Meanwhile, paypal sees that you didn't send it to the address on the transaction...

You see what I mean? Signature confirmation would probably help a lot but this sounds like a headache waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

I actually wouldn't get signature confirmation just because I've never personalyl been asked for ID when I signed for a package and I've signed for items shipped to my girlfriend.

So it's not going to help your case either if this woman's son or if she signs for it under another name.

I've had PayPal "confirm" address that were shipped to:

"BC, xxx xxx
Canada
USA"

^ That actually used to be a common scam Canadians would pull to try and get free shipping if it was a listing that advertised free domestic shipping.

PayPal and eBay don't run the software used to print labels on eBay. It is provided by Pitney Bowes.

Anyways OP when you ran the address through google earth did it show the house as a duplex?

Maybe the homeowner owns a house that is sectioned into two addresses?

[quote name='wugenius']So someone won my 3ds system auction and something seems fishy.

Their address, which I won't post in it's entirety so I will default some of the stuff, shows this on both paypal and ebay:

(Name remmoved)
219 Prescott Pl
217 prescott plc
City, State, Zip (Not putting this info here)

It shows two address numbers. the 219 and the 217 on the same street. I tried mapquesting the address, and it shows an error. But it will find it if I use the 219 by itself, and it finds it when I use the 217 address by itself.

Why in the world would a seller put their address like that? And it shows confirmed on paypal.

I also checked to see what their latest feedback left for someone, and they recently left a negative to a seller for never receiving the item, yet the seller responds that the tracking shows it was delivered. You can see her ebay profile here:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...gladys12compras&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

What do you guys think? If she responds with the correct address, what can I do to protect myself in case she tries to say she never got the item? Will paypal believe the buyer even if I have proof of delivery or a signature? I am afraid because her confirmed address is that funky address, and if I ship it somewhere else, I don't want paypal to tell me that since I didn't ship to the confirmed address, I wont be protected.

Any and all help is appreciated![/QUOTE]
This transaction sounds like its going to go bad either way. Even if Paypal does come through for you :)lol:), your not going to be safe from a negative feedback(even with delivery confirmation) as you can see the negative feedback left for the other seller who replyed with "TRACKING SHOWS DELIVERED? REALLY, WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT." You have perfect 100% feedback too, would suck to have it ruined by a scammer.

Confirmed Address doesn't mean anything anymore, it used to require a credit card where you have to look at your statement and enter a PIN on the Paypal website. Now all Paypal users are confirmed since Paypal has changed the policy where sellers are protected even from unconfirmed buyers. You can tell if they are really confirmed or not if you print your labels directly through Paypal instead of eBay and look at the shipping label details. It should say Residential Confirmed Address or Unconfirmed Address.

As for your situation, I would do a refund. Ask the buyer to correct the address before sending re-payment. No guarantees if she will get mad for no reason and outright leave you a negative feedback though for wasting her time or some BS.

Dude its not worth the headache, just back out of the deal. Unless you really need that money you contact them and tell them you wont ship because they have 2 addresses and paypal/ebay cant confirm the address. I was selling my ipod and had someone contact me telling me they would pay more than what I asked for but i had to ship it to Nigeria...shadiness to the max...long story short I didnt send crap...lol
Good Luck!

I ran it through StreetView. It was not a duplex. They were two houses separated by a bushy hedge and 217's driveway. Two separate trash cans.

I have to agree. Best to refund and back out.

[quote name='htz']This transaction sounds like its going to go bad either way. Even if Paypal does come through for you :)lol:), your not going to be safe from a negative feedback(even with delivery confirmation) as you can see the negative feedback left for the other seller who replyed with "TRACKING SHOWS DELIVERED? REALLY, WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT." You have perfect 100% feedback too, would suck to have it ruined by a scammer.

Confirmed Address doesn't mean anything anymore, it used to require a credit card where you have to look at your statement and enter a PIN on the Paypal website. Now all Paypal users are confirmed since Paypal has changed the policy where sellers are protected even from unconfirmed buyers. You can tell if they are really confirmed or not if you print your labels directly through Paypal instead of eBay and look at the shipping label details. It should say Residential Confirmed Address or Unconfirmed Address.

As for your situation, I would do a refund. Ask the buyer to correct the address before sending re-payment. No guarantees if she will get mad for no reason and outright leave you a negative feedback though for wasting her time or some BS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the OP can get negged just as easily for requesting to cancel the transaction.

I would go to the eBay forums ===> Seller Central and ask your question there. It's full of eBay cheerleaders but they have good information and could most likely be more helpful.

I'm pretty sure that you will be 100% covered against an INR claim and Unauthorized Use (UA) chargeback as long as you print your label exactly as it is defualted through eBay.

I would just make sure you kept the little receipt that comes with the label when you print it incase you need proof if a case is filed later on.

While insurance is helpful it's not going to help you if the item shows delivered...

^Actually that is only half true. I think if you buy insurance through eBay and a buyer wins an INR case then you are covered

BUT if its bought through the USPS you won't be covered if the item shows delivered

Contact PayPal about that address issue after the buyer responds with the 'correct' address.
Of course, you will use the PayPal confirmed address.
If the address the buy mentions differs, I'd cancel it out as it sounds like it'll be more hassle than it's worth. Contact eBay and see how to deal with, possible, fraudulent feedback if the buyer turns out to be garbage.
Signature confirmation. Period.
I agree with you on the insurance part, as well. Unless it $10 to insure...

Delivery conf vs Signature conf...

Delivery: Ok. Yeah. It got there.
Signature: We KNOW it got there. Deal with whoever answered your door.

[quote name='GBAstar']Yeah but the OP can get negged just as easily for requesting to cancel the transaction.

I would go to the eBay forums ===> Seller Central and ask your question there. It's full of eBay cheerleaders but they have good information and could most likely be more helpful.

I'm pretty sure that you will be 100% covered against an INR claim and Unauthorized Use (UA) chargeback as long as you print your label exactly as it is defualted through eBay.

I would just make sure you kept the little receipt that comes with the label when you print it incase you need proof if a case is filed later on.

While insurance is helpful it's not going to help you if the item shows delivered...

^Actually that is only half true. I think if you buy insurance through eBay and a buyer wins an INR case then you are covered

BUT if its bought through the USPS you won't be covered if the item shows delivered[/QUOTE]
That is basically what I said originally, he is going to get screwed either way(canceling transaction or delivering to the address) if this buyer is out to scam him. Seller Central is not going to help him much, if the buyer managed to screw over a 3000+ feedback top rated seller who most likely have seen tons of scams.

[quote name='wugenius']Thanks everyone for your help.

Sucks that people like that buyer have to ruin it for everyone.[/QUOTE]
While you wait for the buyer's reply, try to contact that 3000+ feedback seller, he will most likely give you a heads up on what this buyer did to him, and advise you how to avoid it. If the buyer try to screw you over, at least you have another victim to back you up to get this buyer suspended.

I contacted that seller who she gave a negative too. This is what he had to say:

hi,
yes, i sold her some truck stickers and i have delviery confirmation that they were delivered, she has very bad broken english and claims they never showed up. i offered a resend for free if she would cover the 2.00 shipping charge. of course she wouldn't.

she left me negative for absolutely no reason and ebay wont remove it even though i hav eproof it was delivered.

people like that just frustrate the crap out of me. i cant figure them out.

good luck

He also sent this:
i copied it with both as shown since it is the same building etc....

This was in response to asking him what address he used to ship to her.

Just use something with tracking and delivery confirmation. I had some bitch try to scam me saying she didn't get the stuff. She opened a case against me and I just sent ebay the tracking number which showed that it was delivered to her address and they said ok cool you win and told her to fuck off.

[quote name='wugenius']I contacted that seller who she gave a negative too. This is what he had to say:

hi,
yes, i sold her some truck stickers and i have delviery confirmation that they were delivered, she has very bad broken english and claims they never showed up. i offered a resend for free if she would cover the 2.00 shipping charge. of course she wouldn't.

she left me negative for absolutely no reason and ebay wont remove it even though i hav eproof it was delivered.

people like that just frustrate the crap out of me. i cant figure them out.

good luck[/QUOTE]

Yeah... but as long as you have DC or SC you're not going to be out your money.

Getting negatives suck on eBay but they don't really count for shit. I'm much more worried about low DSR's because they directly effect your TRS.

If you're going to get negged you might as well get money out of the transaction (that is assuming you sold your 3DS for a price you're happy with). In fact I think you're more likely to get negged for cancelling the transaction then you are if the buyer mysteriously doesn't receive the item.

I think I am going to get negged regardless. Damnit, there goes my perfect streak. Although I did have some douche give me a neutral even though he never told me why, and all he commented was "good shipping" or some shiz like that.

I will update everyone tomorrow.

[quote name='wugenius']I think I am going to get negged regardless. Damnit, there goes my perfect streak. Although I did have some douche give me a neutral even though he never told me why, and all he commented was "good shipping" or some shiz like that.

I will update everyone tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Honestly though don't worry about the negs. I remember when I got my first one (well it was two together [multi purchase] from the same buyer for an INR).

Like I said negatives don't mean much. It's the low DSR's (1 and 2 ratings) that will kill you.

Most smart scammers don't leave negatives anymore anyways which leads me to believe you just might have a stooopid buyer. Smart scammers know that the fastest way to get caught is to leave a trail of negatives.

have you tried contacting ebay or paypal, i would assume the best way to secure urself is to present ur concerns to them before any damage is done, preferably with someone who won't just brush you off and will actually listen to your concerns.

Sounds fishy, but it could possibly be that one address is hers, the other her family who'll accept delivery if she's not home? That's the only way it would sound plausible to me.

Send a message asking about the address. Then once you receive a satisfactory reply, send it with insurance and signature required. If the post office tells you that you can insure for $200.01 and a signature will automatically be required, tell them you want a signature anyway. The signature with insurance over $200 is only for the post office's tracking purposes and you can't track it.

A couple of updates:

No response from the seller yet.

I called paypal and told them my situation, the lady put me on hold, and when she came back she told me that the 219 prescott pl address was correct and to send it to that one. I asked her how she figured this out, and she said her supervisor told her. (Not very reassuring) She also said she sent a message to the buyer requesting the correct address.

I told her that I wanted to make sure I was protected, and she said that whether I shipped to the 219 address or the 217 address I would be protected. I explained to her that I didn't want to be held accountable if she claims that she did not receive the item because it wasn't the exact address shown and she kept assuring me that I will be fine.

So.....basically paypal was no help.

I know that the person recently left a negative feedback for one seller, but they have other recent auctions where they've left positive feedback for received items so I'm not really sure they're out to scam anyone. I think it's possible they live in some sort of housing that might have two numbers (like a 2 family house or apt, I haven't looked at the map though)

I personally would send it to the confirmed address without changing a single thing. I would also insure it as well. I don't know if signature confirmation will help much as you're already protected if it says delivered. A signature won't prevent you from getting a negative FB.. You really can't worry about the negative feedback. It isn't going to completely kill your ebay reputation, especially if you give a reasonable response to it explaining that your tracking says it was delivered and that she has a history of doing this. If you tried to get them to cancel the transaction then you can still get a negative feedback (which makes no sense to me).

I also want to say that I really fucking hate that negative feedback is just one way now. How stupid is that? If a buyer is a scammer or just really crap they should be open to negative feedback just as much as a seller is. That is without a doubt the worst thing about ebay in my opinion.

I'd cut and run from a mess like this and refund her money. It's not worth the headache.

If you do go through with it, ship it with insurance + signature confirmation, eating the costs for each. $170 of insurance will be about $3-4, if I remember correctly, and signature confirmation is about $2. Small price to pay for making sure it gets there and covering yourself if it doesn't by no small surprise.

Even if the money is refunded he is still completely vulnerable to getting a negative feedback from them so since he already got paid he might as well just follow-through with the transaction. As long as it says it's delivered to the confirmed address ebay shouldn't be able to take back his money (assuming he's complying with the other seller protection req. of course), so I think a signature confirmation is not needed here and wouldn't help his case if the buyer filed a dispute

[quote name='ssjmichael']Even if the money is refunded he is still completely vulnerable to getting a negative feedback from them so since he already got paid he might as well just follow-through with the transaction. As long as it says it's delivered to the confirmed address ebay shouldn't be able to take back his money (assuming he's complying with the other seller protection req. of course), so I think a signature confirmation is not needed here and wouldn't help his case if the buyer filed a dispute[/QUOTE]

^ this.

Once you've received payment you can get negged. You are more likely to get negged for cancelling a transaction PLUS there is no guarantee the buyer will agree to your cancellation request so you'll be on the hook for both the listing fees and FVF with nothing to show.

There is no need for signature confirmation if the sale was under $250 including shipping. I understand why you would want it for safeguard but it serves no purpose. As long as you ship it to an address in the buyers zip code with delivery confirmation and the delivery confirmation shows delivered you'll be covered against an Item Not Received claim.

To be covered against an unauthorized use chargedback you MUST ship it to the address on the PayPal invoice.

What is the worse thing that can't happen? The address is wack and it's non deliverable and the item is returned to you OR the item is delivered and the buyer claims she didn't receive it and you get a negged.. but you wouldn't be out the money.

So the buyer responds today. With this:

hello i want to know what happening with the item you said you will shipping on friday and today is friday afternom and you dint shipp nothing today

She completely ignored my question about her address. So I sent her another message telling her the same shiz and I even translated it to her in Spanish and English so she can't claim she didn't know WTF I was talking about.

Signature Confirmation is, most certainly, worth it. Delivery confirmation means it was delivered. Scanned and mailboxed. The postman could make a mistake.

Signature Confirmation would give them less grounds to make a mistake as it would have to be given to a person, directly.

For $2 and change, I'll keep my piece of mind. I guess it depends on how you value your items. Something for $20, no. $50+, sign.

[quote name='wugenius']So the buyer responds today. With this:

hello i want to know what happening with the item you said you will shipping on friday and today is friday afternom and you dint shipp nothing today

She completely ignored my question about her address. So I sent her another message telling her the same shiz and I even translated it to her in Spanish and English so she can't claim she didn't know WTF I was talking about.[/QUOTE]

dude, i would risk the negative and just not complete the transaction. You should call ebay and explain to them the situation, they'll probably refund your fees if you tell them about the address issue and the language barrier.

I'm actually thinking about selling my 3ds on ebay too. This makes me want to just take the ~$100 instant sale price and avoid this crap.

This stuff is why I'm too scared to sell anything on ebay anymore, having a lowball on CAG is usually more safe. :lol:

I agree with confoosious, I'd back out if I were you as well.

I was worried about backing out because I was going to lose out on the ebay fees. But I would rather lose a portion of the cost in ebay fees, instead of losing 160 bucks. If by Monday this lady is still tripping, I am telling her to F*** off and give her the money back.

So I might have a 3DS to sell again CAGs. Ebay can suck it.

It sounds like if you send it, you're gonna get a negative anyway cause she's insane. or loco.

On top of a potential issue with payment, claim, etc.

call ebay and ask if you can get your fees back if you refund her money because she is unable to communicate and the issue with the address.

I'm surprised you got 160 for a 3ds. It's only 169 retail.

[quote name='confoosious']It sounds like if you send it, you're gonna get a negative anyway cause she's insane. or loco.

On top of a potential issue with payment, claim, etc.

call ebay and ask if you can get your fees back if you refund her money because she is unable to communicate and the issue with the address.

I'm surprised you got 160 for a 3ds. It's only 169 retail.[/QUOTE]

Oh it was a 3ds bundle. It was the 3ds, extra game, and extra stuff like the nyko power plus battery and other stuff.

Where can I call ebay? I remember I couldn't find a phone number for the life of me when I had a douchebag bidder back out of paying for an auction they won, and couldn't find it.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Signature Confirmation is, most certainly, worth it. Delivery confirmation means it was delivered. Scanned and mailboxed. The postman could make a mistake.

Signature Confirmation would give them less grounds to make a mistake as it would have to be given to a person, directly.

For $2 and change, I'll keep my piece of mind. I guess it depends on how you value your items. Something for $20, no. $50+, sign.[/QUOTE]

Piece of mind means nothing when dealing with ebay/paypal. Signature confirmation is a complete waste of money in this situation.. If you know how ebay/paypal works you'll realize this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back