Bestbuy: Sunday. Xbox 360 4gb Kinect + Game + 2yrs of Live $99.99

DaBadGuyCR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A friend of mine told me he was at Bestbuy looking for a new Xbox 360. The sales associate told him to wait for Sunday because he got a invoice saying they will be putting the 4gb Kinect Bundle with a game and two years of XBL on sale for $99.99.

The guy told him that Microsoft ware house in Texas need to be cleared out and Microsoft will be repaying bestbuy for the money they lose.

I think the sales associate may be wrong or misread the invoice and it's really for the Xbox 360 Service plan not a xbox 360 4gb kinect with two free years of live.
Im not sure how true any of this is but I know my friend wouldn't lie about this.

He's accurate, but you have to sign a service agreement with Xbox Live. It's 100 up front, then like 16 bucks a month for two years or something.

[quote name='burger96']He's accurate, but you have to sign a service agreement with Xbox Live. It's 100 up front, then like 16 bucks a month for two years or something.[/QUOTE]

What the guy said was the 2yrs of Xbox Live was free. I really don't think the guy knew what he was talking about.

[quote name='iduncurr']I'm pretty sure the worker misunderstood and relayed the wrong info.[/QUOTE]

Im thinking the same... but why would he make up a lie say the Microsoft Ware house is over stocked and needs to clear them out?

[quote name='DaBadGuyCR']Im thinking the same... but why would he make up a lie say the Microsoft Ware house is over stocked and needs to clear them out?[/QUOTE]

I have a brother that likes to make up stuff on the spot and it makes it sound like he is saying the truth. Some people just do that.

It might be true and that's why they are attempting the subscription thing?
I don't know, he might just be bullshitting to bring people in on Sunday.
I don't know if the worker is getting sales commission for getting people to sign up the subscription over buying the console outright.

[quote name='lupe guillotine']I have a brother that likes to make up stuff on the spot and it makes it sound like he is saying the truth. Some people just do that.[/QUOTE]

I guess me and my friend will put his ass on front bitch to the boss and try to get out of there with what he told him.

xboxsubsidzeddeal.jpg

Here is a flyer for the "deal". I would definitely just buy a normal Kinect bundle. It ends up being much cheaper.

[quote name='Dark Rider']
xboxsubsidzeddeal.jpg

Here is a flyer for the "deal". I would definitely just buy a normal Kinect bundle. It ends up being much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Yeah $460 for a 4gb kinect with a game and 2 years of Live basically, not a great deal.

[quote name='iduncurr']It might be true and that's why they are attempting the subscription thing?
I don't know, he might just be bullshitting to bring people in on Sunday.
I don't know if the worker is getting sales commission for getting people to sign up the subscription over buying the console outright.[/QUOTE]

best buy workers don't get commission. he probably just worded it that way because it's more easily understood to the average customer.

[quote name='DaBadGuyCR']Im thinking the same... but why would he make up a lie say the Microsoft Ware house is over stocked and needs to clear them out?[/QUOTE]

He used to work at Gamestop and they taught him well?

People are stupid.

This isn't rent-a-center bad (where you'll end up paying like $900 for a 360), but it's still pretty bad.

Its not all bad!! I think the math was done before and you end up paying an extra 30 bucks over the course of 2 years. Im also more than certain that you Live account will carry over to new xbox so not a waste their either

[quote name='ijustw1n']This isn't really a deal. As posted earlier, much earlier, you pay way more in the long run.[/QUOTE]

you don't pay "way more in the long run."

you pay $460 over the course of 2 years versus a potential $420 upfront ($300 + $120 for 2 years of Xbox Live Gold). but let's say you get Gold for $35/year. that's $370 upfront. that's $90 spread out over the course of 2 years to get it in your hands for $115 right now. that means it's costing your $3.75/month extra in order to get it in your hands for a much lower upfront cost.

Quite a lot of people can handle $115 now versus paying $370 upfront. So for less than a cup of Starbucks coffee a month, you got a much easier entry fee.

It's not a deal for me as I'm done with this gen's hardware. But if we're talking deals, let's talk the numbers and not get emotional about it.

[quote name='dirtyvu']It's not a deal for me as I'm done with this gen's hardware. But if we're talking deals, let's talk the numbers and not get emotional about it.[/QUOTE]If you're going to talk numbers, you need to employ the time value of money into the equation. $5 now is not worth $5 in two years for example.

If people want to pay $99 and $15 a month because they don't want to pony up all the money right now, then let them.

It's not a "deal" to us but maybe it's the way they want to do it. So shut up already.

$460 is so far from the value to me.

-Kinect is worth $0 to me
-360's I can get a regular one without a pathetic 4 gb harddrive for less than $100
-Xbox Live there's people on this site that sell Xbox Live codes for $3 a month or $35/year

I know not everybody thinks the way I do, because I'm one cheap ass mf'n gamer doing his thing in the world.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']$460 is so far from the value to me.

-Kinect is worth $0 to me
.[/QUOTE]

Then this deal isn't for you. duh.

While it may not be a deal for CAGers I still think it will get a lot sales. It's like when kids get a puppy and promise to take care of it, I can see parents buying this for their kids for $100 and telling the kid s/he is responsible for the $15 month. How many of you wouldn't have jumped at this at 13 yrs. old, math be damned? And I know the math was beaten to death in the last thread but I still think it's relevant that this is a BB deal, which last time I checked had a LOT more stores than MS. I think it's also an obvious response towards the WiiU, and whatever the Wii price may drop to if/when Nintendo feels like announcing the WiiU price.

Its a bad deal... overall, but the good thing about it is that you pay the minimal amount up front. People sometimes don't have 300 dollars of up front money, and its easier for them to pay more over time even though there's clearly a penalty for that. I think its good that this thread at least tries to explain how its a bad deal so that people aren't cheated out of their money, because they're led to believe that "they're clearning out the warehouse." Informed decisions... that's all... informed decisions.

[quote name='rjejr']While it may not be a deal for CAGers I still think it will get a lot sales. It's like when kids get a puppy and promise to take care of it, I can see parents buying this for their kids for $100 and telling the kid s/he is responsible for the $15 month. How many of you wouldn't have jumped at this at 13 yrs. old, math be damned? And I know the math was beaten to death in the last thread but I still think it's relevant that this is a BB deal, which last time I checked had a LOT more stores than MS. I think it's also an obvious response towards the WiiU, and whatever the Wii price may drop to if/when Nintendo feels like announcing the WiiU price.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it. You might not have $300 right now but you can scrounge up $15 a month with your allowance / chores.

People need to understand not all deals are meant for them.

[quote name='d8onausa']If you're going to talk numbers, you need to employ the time value of money into the equation. $5 now is not worth $5 in two years for example.[/QUOTE]

With time value of money its not a bad deal since money now is worth more than money later.

Yet another reason why paying for everything in full (when possible) is a smart decision. It'll just hurt you in the long run! :(

Wise marketing strategy for Microsoft though...

This is a horrible deal you get a gimped it's $460 at that price you can buy the Star Wars edition 360 with a 250 hard drive put it on a BB card and pay a low monthly no interest payment for 18 month. CoonfooShit you POST is misleading you say 360 4gig with Kinect an 2yrs for $99 then in the thread you say well actually, that isn't the case, fucking change the title to your thread stop wasting peoples time and stop getting but hurt because your post is BS.

That four gig's is going to fill quick, so you going to have to spend another $100 on a HD, or at least a couple USB but with apps, DLC, demos, updates that shit is going to fill up real quick Horrible, Horrible deal, Microsft is going to rake it up by all the dumbass's who jump on this shit!!!

[quote name='Ramandur']With time value of money its not a bad deal since money now is worth more than money later.[/QUOTE]

Please share with me a theoretical equation you'd use to quantify $5.00 two years from now. I'd be interested to see the results...

[quote name='dirtyvu']you don't pay "way more in the long run."

you pay $460 over the course of 2 years versus a potential $420 upfront ($300 + $120 for 2 years of Xbox Live Gold). but let's say you get Gold for $35/year. that's $370 upfront. that's $90 spread out over the course of 2 years to get it in your hands for $115 right now. that means it's costing your $3.75/month extra in order to get it in your hands for a much lower upfront cost.

Quite a lot of people can handle $115 now versus paying $370 upfront. So for less than a cup of Starbucks coffee a month, you got a much easier entry fee.

It's not a deal for me as I'm done with this gen's hardware. But if we're talking deals, let's talk the numbers and not get emotional about it.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, let's argue! I said this is not a deal because you pay way more in the long run, this after the OP detailed that it was simply $99 with no charge for the 2 years of live. I was right because you do pay way more than the $99 detailed in the OP.

Everything else you said is moronic. If someone can't handle the cost of a console and/or accessories and games the last thing they need is to be up sold and brought into 2 year contracts. This $99 doesn't even include the controllers or games folks would need upfront to get started. Not to mention, if you're looking to spread out a frivolous purchase like a console over 2 years, then get it for normal price with 0% financing like best buy which does it for 18 months as opposed to paying the upsell. This not to mention possible early 2 year termination charges or I bet Microsoft has a terms of agreement somewhere detailing how they can legally cancel live in its entirety forever and you're signing up after the console is on its last leg.

[quote name='JJTalbott']This is a horrible deal you get a gimped it's $460 at that price you can buy the Star Wars edition 360 with a 250 hard drive put it on a BB card and pay a low monthly no interest payment for 18 month. CoonfooShit you POST is misleading you say 360 4gig with Kinect an 2yrs for $99 then in the thread you say well actually, that isn't the case, fucking change the title to your thread stop wasting peoples time and stop getting but hurt because your post is BS.[/QUOTE]

You do understand he isnt the one that posted this? Right...

It's not a deal for me as I'm done with this gen's hardware. But if we're talking deals, let's talk the numbers and not get emotional about it.[/QUOTE]

this! really its not that terrible. no worse than any other down payment plan. and comparing it to that its not that bad really. its pretty decent. if i needed an xbox 360 but was short on cash and only had 120 spare dollars and also wanted a kinect and xbox live. well this deal would be golden. and if i only had a spare 20 every month this again would be golden and yes these kinds of people exist in the world

[quote name='ijustw1n']Sweet, let's argue! I said this is not a deal because you pay way more in the long run, this after the OP detailed that it was simply $99 with no charge for the 2 years of live. I was right because you do pay way more than the $99 detailed in the OP.

Everything else you said is moronic. If someone can't handle the cost of a console and/or accessories and games the last thing they need is to be up sold and brought into 2 year contracts. This $99 doesn't even include the controllers or games folks would need upfront to get started. Not to mention, if you're looking to spread out a frivolous purchase like a console over 2 years, then get it for normal price with 0% financing like best buy which does it for 18 months as opposed to paying the upsell. This not to mention possible early 2 year termination charges or I bet Microsoft has a terms of agreement somewhere detailing how they can legally cancel live in its entirety forever and you're signing up after the console is on its last leg.[/QUOTE]

Thank you couldn't have said it better!!!!

[quote name='craig.courtney']You do understand he isnt the one that posted this? Right...[/QUOTE]

Oh my bad:whistle2:#, I just saw him defending it like it's his girl friend so I assumed it was his post.

Thanks ;)

Another one of these discussions.

This topic isn't really meant for this site. It's more of a deal for soccer moms. Everyone else is just going to complain.

[quote name='JJTalbott']couldn't have said it better!!!![/QUOTE]

Well, you couldn't even say "butt hurt" properly, so that's not exactly a vote of confidence.

Everything else you said is moronic.
Correction: everything all of us are saying in this thread is moronic. Who the hell wants to calculate time value of money on a weekend? Who calls people morons when discussing video game pricing? Who even plays Xbox 360? NO ONE.

[quote name='confoosious']Then this deal isn't for you. duh.[/QUOTE]

Even if I did want Kinect I could get everything including the XBL for around $200 less than half of this, with a WAY bigger hard drive. Not just me so can anyone if they're really stubborn about finding the cheapest price for everything. But I guess $15 x 24 is better than scraping together an extra $100 for some I guess. (if this were a credit card that would be an absurd amount of interest)

Some people are on here for deals but are not real CAGs, I am one of the cheapest gamers you will ever find and proud of it.

[quote name='iamsmart']
Correction: everything all of us are saying in this thread is moronic. Who the hell wants to calculate time value of money on a weekend? Who calls people morons when discussing video game pricing? Who even plays Xbox 360? NO ONE.[/QUOTE]

This comment just gave my 360 the RROD.

In all seriousness the biggest complaint I have against all the newer 360 models is the pathetic (4gb) or no harddrive included than the older ones with a way higher price tag. There really is a sucker born every minute.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']....

Please share with me a theoretical equation you'd use to quantify $5.00 two years from now. I'd be interested to see the results...[/QUOTE]

That's easy:

Take the $5, and multiply it by the prime interest rate, (assuming the person receiving the prime rate is qualified to receive that rate. If not, adjust to a much higher sub-prime rate), and then multiply that rate by two years, and add the result to the original $5. For example, let's assume someone loans me $5 today at a 10% fixed APR, to be repaid in full in two years. The interest per year is 50 cents, and for two years, it's $1. So, in two years, what I can buy for $5, will cost me $6. And, should I finance that $5, I'm paying it back at the cost two years from now.

To find out how much less today's $5 can buy in two years, just work the equation in reverse. At 10% value lost per years, over two years, today's $5 is only worth $4.

There are, of course, other things that can factor in, such as compounded interest, an adjusting rate, late payment fees, etc. But, those are waived in this instance for simplicity's sake.

I personally don't like this cell-phone style subscription plan. I really hope they don't make it the only way to get a next-gen system. Because, that's what I see this as: a test for future business plans, just like the whole online pass BS, and the Call of Duty Elite crap. I don't want to pay you up front for content I may or may not get in the future, especially when I might get a better deal on the individual DLC packs at a later date. And, I don't want to be locked into two years of LIve, when I might get a better deal later, and in the unlikely chance the Live service is cancelled. I'll stick with getting cards/codes on the cheap here for $30 to $40 a year.

What people are forgetting:

a) Not everybody has $300+ sitting around. In some instances, parents will teach children about credit, finances and budgeting by allowing them to get some sort of short-term loan. Ever heard of Secure Credit Cards?

b) In addition to the "things" you get up front like the Xbox bundle and the 2-years Xbox Live service, you also get 2-year warranty straight from MS. That's a value-add.

c) If you do a money-time calculation and assume a person will put this on a credit card with interest rate around 20% (which is standard today unfortunately, even for people with excellent credit like me), you are looking at paying $450 assuming a $370 principal (Xbox 360 + 2-years Live tax-free).

So this isn't a bad deal at all for those that don't mind payments and don't spend all their time in forums like cheapassgamer and SD. Personally, I just pay up-front because payments give me a headache and this isn't worth getting credit for.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']....

Please share with me a theoretical equation you'd use to quantify $5.00 two years from now. I'd be interested to see the results...[/QUOTE]

Start with inflation:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

[quote name='preston181']That's easy:

Take the $5, and multiply it by the prime interest rate, (assuming the person receiving the prime rate is qualified to receive that rate. If not, adjust to a much higher sub-prime rate).
[/QUOTE]

A lot of time, for small loans (lless than a thousand dollar) you can't get a low interest rate, because it isn't worth the lenders time to take on the risk. That's of course ignoring a lot of other factors such as inflation, and if you have a variable interest loan. I do agree that it's a good way of measuring it if you were to get a loan as opposed to sitting on the money in the bank like many do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='preston181']That's easy:

Take the $5, and multiply it by the prime interest rate, (assuming the person receiving the prime rate is qualified to receive that rate. If not, adjust to a much higher sub-prime rate), and then multiply that rate by two years, and add the result to the original $5. For example, let's assume someone loans me $5 today at a 10% fixed APR, to be repaid in full in two years. The interest per year is 50 cents, and for two years, it's $1. So, in two years, what I can buy for $5, will cost me $6. And, should I finance that $5, I'm paying it back at the cost two years from now.

To find out how much less today's $5 can buy in two years, just work the equation in reverse. At 10% value lost per years, over two years, today's $5 is only worth $4.

There are, of course, other things that can factor in, such as compounded interest, an adjusting rate, late payment fees, etc. But, those are waived in this instance for simplicity's sake.

I personally don't like this cell-phone style subscription plan. I really hope they don't make it the only way to get a next-gen system. Because, that's what I see this as: a test for future business plans, just like the whole online pass BS, and the Call of Duty Elite crap. I don't want to pay you up front for content I may or may not get in the future, especially when I might get a better deal on the individual DLC packs at a later date. And, I don't want to be locked into two years of LIve, when I might get a better deal later, and in the unlikely chance the Live service is cancelled. I'll stick with getting cards/codes on the cheap here for $30 to $40 a year.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. Money is always worth more today than tomorrow.

[quote name='gamingdroid']
c) If you do a money-time calculation and assume a person will put this on a credit card with interest rate around 20% (which is standard today unfortunately, even for people with excellent credit like me), you are looking at paying $450 assuming a $370 principal (Xbox 360 + 2-years Live tax-free).
[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you have cards hovering around 20% interest, either 1) your credit isnt as good as you think or B) you've done a poor job shopping around for credit. If you've got good credit, bankrate.com says the average low interest cards are hovering around 10.5% percent. I personally have a card even half of that.

You might want to look around a bit before your next #humblebrag.

Yeah, but your comparison is a bit off there - why does the person buying up front have to pay for 2 years of Gold right away? I'd also argue that someone who can't afford to pay $335 (let's just throw in 1 year - they can get that second year later) vs. $115 also doesn't need Kinect, since they probably won't get any games that use it anyway (what wth the super-limited budget they have). So, really, they could pay $200 + $35 for 1 year and be much, much better off than being locked into that contract.

And I find all this discussion of the value of $5 2 years from now hilarious. It's not like we have hyper-inflation or like you can get any sort of return by otherwise investing that money. $5 now is pretty much $5 2 years from now, give or take a few cents :lol:.

I just don't like where this is headed. There's an article on IGN (I think) that speculates that this might be a test run for MS's pricing strategy on the next gen system - that is, offer it cheap up front but lock people into contracts. I don't like that one bit as someone who has always managed to get my Live for dirt cheap (and if I had to pay $60 for it, I'd just rather go without since online gaming isn't all that big to me). Now, I seriously doubt they would offer the next gen console that way only, but I don't even want it to start going in that direction ;).

[quote name='io']Yeah, but your comparison is a bit off there - why does the person buying up front have to pay for 2 years of Gold right away? I'd also argue that someone who can't afford to pay $335 (let's just throw in 1 year - they can get that second year later) vs. $115 also doesn't need Kinect, since they probably won't get any games that use it anyway (what wth the super-limited budget they have). So, really, they could pay $200 + $35 for 1 year and be much, much better off than being locked into that contract.

And I find all this discussion of the value of $5 2 years from now hilarious. It's not like we have hyper-inflation or like you can get any sort of return by otherwise investing that money. $5 now is pretty much $5 2 years from now, give or take a few cents :lol:.

I just don't like where this is headed. There's an article on IGN (I think) that speculates that this might be a test run for MS's pricing strategy on the next gen system - that is, offer it cheap up front but lock people into contracts. I don't like that one bit as someone who has always managed to get my Live for dirt cheap (and if I had to pay $60 for it, I'd just rather go without since online gaming isn't all that big to me). Now, I seriously doubt they would offer the next gen console that way only, but I don't even want it to start going in that direction ;).[/QUOTE]

all new kinects come with that one game anyway so there is that.

[quote name='io']
I just don't like where this is headed. There's an article on IGN (I think) that speculates that this might be a test run for MS's pricing strategy on the next gen system - that is, offer it cheap up front but lock people into contracts. I don't like that one bit as someone who has always managed to get my Live for dirt cheap (and if I had to pay $60 for it, I'd just rather go without since online gaming isn't all that big to me). Now, I seriously doubt they would offer the next gen console that way only, but I don't even want it to start going in that direction ;).[/QUOTE]

That's what I think is going on too. I think Microsoft is pushing to be our new "media" provider, and is adopting a cable TV/cell phone subscription model. Wouldn't be surprised if the next system forced you in to a contract to buy it.

The gaming industry is also starting to notice when EA, Activision, Epic, and Ubisoft does the "season pass" and "premium" crap too. More and more companies are adopting this practice. Pretty soon, we'll effectively be paying a monthly fee to just play, on top of buying the game at retail.

Definately don't like the direction that gaming is going. If Steam were to make a console, and carried it's PC model over to it, (especially if I got to carry my existing library over to the console), I'd grab one up in a heartbeat.

[quote name='io']Yeah, but your comparison is a bit off there - why does the person buying up front have to pay for 2 years of Gold right away? I'd also argue that someone who can't afford to pay $335 (let's just throw in 1 year - they can get that second year later) vs. $115 also doesn't need Kinect, since they probably won't get any games that use it anyway (what wth the super-limited budget they have). So, really, they could pay $200 + $35 for 1 year and be much, much better off than being locked into that contract.

Disagree on the investing part. If you are a broke gamer coming up with 300-400 bucks for a new system is a big deal. Certainly as a large investment you cant get crap these days but ask the people using this site to flip games what kind of rate of return they are getting on their capital. I do all of my gaming purchases on what i make from flips from deals here and craigslist. I have at any one time around 500 that I plug into games. On that I average about 10% return so around 50 bucks a month to spend on gaming. That is with practically no effort on my part. I would wager few of the heavy flippers to way way better than that on both total return and % return. I do have a job and I could spend more (although my wife would kick my ass if i did) but since everything is self sustaining it seems pretty good amount to work with. If my xbox died tommorow I would concider this deal since droping 300 bucks on a new xbox would kill my working capital unless I added new funds out of my household buget to it(and then there I am with my wife kicking my ass again). To me and my gaming fund this would be a no brainer if I was in the market right now. Its not a deal for everyone but for the right person in the right situation it could work out very well. Be imaginative.

[quote name='confoosious']I love your ironic name.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I can tell that you're a fan of sarcasm, so I think you should know that when I said no one was playing 360, I was being sarcastic..... or was I?

I just don't like where this is headed. There's an article on IGN (I think) that speculates that this might be a test run for MS's pricing strategy on the next gen system - that is, offer it cheap up front but lock people into contracts. I don't like that one bit as someone who has always managed to get my Live for dirt cheap (and if I had to pay $60 for it, I'd just rather go without since online gaming isn't all that big to me). Now, I seriously doubt they would offer the next gen console that way only, but I don't even want it to start going in that direction .
I guess it depends on how it plays out, but I'm not entirely against it. If the market ends up being like that of cell phones, where you have to pay $800 for just the phone or you can get a big discount for a two year contract with service plan then I wouldn't mind it, or at the very least I could bear with it.

bread's done
Back