Google "Nexus 7" tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) now available

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
UPDATE 2 - July 2013 - The 2013 Nexus 7 is now available at many retailers, including Best Buy and Amazon. Will be everywhere by the beginning of August. Full specs below.

Article comparing the new model with last year's:

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-2013-vs-2012-by-the-numbers-249196/

UPDATE - July 2013 - 2nd generation version is a matter of days from release. Here are some of the known specs, more info to follow this week with an official announcement. Rumored configurations and pricing are a 16GB version at ~$230 and a 32GB version at ~$270.

• 7-inch LCD with WUXGA resolution (1920 x 1200)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (APQ8064)
  • 2GB DDR3LM RAM
  • 32GB of storage (16GB also available)
  • 5-megapixel camera
  • 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 1080p output via “slim port”
  • Stereo speakers
  • 3950mAh battery

---------------------

UPDATE - April 2013 - Strongly rumored that the second generation Nexus 7 will be shown at the Google I/O conference in May, likely for a Summer release.

UPDATE - November 2012 - The 16GB version has dropped to $199, and a new 32GB version is imminent at $250. A 32GB version with 3G (HSPA+ & unlocked GSM) will be available for $300. Aside from the storage and 3G, specs are the same as the original release.

The 8GB version has been discontinued.

---------------------

Like the name implies, this is a new 7 inch tablet from Google. Obviously the screen isn't going to be as high quality as the Ipad 3, but at this price you can't expect that. Everything else seems pretty strong. 199 bucks for the 8GB version, 249 for the 16GB vversion

uRcvL.jpg

Today, during Google's keynote at Google I/O 2012, the company announced a new Asus-branded tablet called the Nexus 7.

Nexus 7 will be available today on the Google Play store starting at $200 for the 8GB storage configuration, with units shipping in mid-July. Purchasing on Google Play also gifts you a $25 credit to spend on Google Play media.

The Nexus 7 sports a 7-inch, IPS (in-plane switching) screen, with a resolution of 1,280x800 pixels. The tablet is also the first 7-incher to house a 1.3GHz Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core CPU, which includes a 12-core GPU.

Rounding out the specs is a Micro-USB port, 1GB of RAM, a 1.2-megapixel front camera (no back camera included), a gyroscope, GPS, accelerometer, microphone, and 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi.

The device measures 10.45mm thick, weighs 0.7 pound, and, from the looks of the first pictures released, has a textured, grippy backside and looks to be about the same size as the Kindle Fire.

The Nexus 7 will be the first device to run the latest version of the Android 4.1 OS, also known as Jelly Bean. Google says to expect 9 hours of 720p HD video battery life.

If you order it from play.google.com, you get a 25 dollar gift card to the Google Play store. It also throws in some magazines, the Bourne Dominion e-book, and a copy of Transformers Dark of the Moon as bloatware.

Was watching the presentation just now during the Google IO conference. The two games they showed looked pretty impressive...definitely better than XBox/PS2 era stuff, not quite 360/PS3 level.

Funny, just said the other day that Surface was the first time I've been interested in a tablet, but this looks pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
meh, bigger & better screen as well as twice the storage is a $400 iPad 2...
My only gripe with the iPad after a little over a year of ownership is that I can't sideload books into my nook or kindle programs like I can with the actual nook or kindle. Other than that, I only use my laptop for recording these days.

Yay, another version of Android that will take 6-12 months to be an option for existing phones running ICS. :roll:

Tablet looks good as a Kindle Fire competitor at the same price point. Should get regular Android updates as well since it's a "pure" Android device from Google. Should've been a Tegra 3 quad-core chipset, though.

It's taken them long enough (roughly 2 years) to realize that this is where the real opportunity in the tablet market lies.

Yeah, that's a big reason I'm interested. Since it's a straight up Google device the updates should be hassle-free. Meawhile my Metro PCS phone is going to be on 2.2.2 forever since they'd rather you buy a new phone to get anything more current.

This tablet just seems like it hits a sweet spot on price. It looks like it'll be a good choice for those who want something that has got more oomph than a Kindle Fire but can't go all out for a 400-500 dollar Ipad. Frankly, other than the Ipad screen I wouldn't be envious anyway...I'm unwilling to get sucked into Apple's ecosystem. Xbox Live & Google/Android are bad enough.

The price point is a shot right at the Kindle Fire, especially being a 7" tablet. I'd pick this up in a heartbeat over the Kindle Fire at the same price, even with just the $200 / 8GB config.

My Motorola Photon is still sitting on Gingerbread and is supposed to get ICS in Q3 of this year. I'm due for an upgrade on August 1st and with the horrible issues I've had with it, I'm leery to move to Android for my phone. This may take care of the concerns of tossing all the Android apps aside that I've picked up for my Photon, assuming ICS doesn't want to work well on my TouchPad when I work to install it.

$200 is a nice entry point for a Google-branded device and I think it'll give both Apple and Amazon some pause. Would have been nicer for Tegra 3 @ $250, though Asus will take care of that shortly.

[quote name='shrike4242']The price point is a shot right at the Kindle Fire, especially being a 7" tablet. I'd pick this up in a heartbeat over the Kindle Fire at the same price, even with just the $200 / 8GB config.

My Motorola Photon is still sitting on Gingerbread and is supposed to get ICS in Q3 of this year. I'm due for an upgrade on August 1st and with the horrible issues I've had with it, I'm leery to move to Android for my phone. This may take care of the concerns of tossing all the Android apps aside that I've picked up for my Photon, assuming ICS doesn't want to work well on my TouchPad when I work to install it.

$200 is a nice entry point for a Google-branded device and I think it'll give both Apple and Amazon some pause. Would have been nicer for Tegra 3 @ $250, though Asus will take care of that shortly.[/QUOTE]
Your OS problems are more related to the device manufacturers customizing Android rather then Android itself. Once you go Nexus, you don't have that problem and Android devs are much quicker at releasing fixes. I'm pretty much done with non-Nexus devices.

Your Touchpad issue is completely different since Android was hacked onto it. The BB Playbook probably has better compatibility than the Touchpad.:lol:

I agree that $200 is a great price point. After having a 10 inch screen though, I don't know how I'd be able to go down to 7.

[quote name='shrike4242']The price point is a shot right at the Kindle Fire, especially being a 7" tablet. I'd pick this up in a heartbeat over the Kindle Fire at the same price, even with just the $200 / 8GB config.[/QUOTE]
Tablets were around at this price point before the Fire came along, and what's more, they were selling fairly well at that price point.

The Nook Color and TouchPad firesale were indicators that people would go out of their way to buy a ~$200 tablet and root it to have a cheap Android tablet. Those TouchPads absolutely disappeared once the prices got slashed -- if that wasn't a clear indication of the trend initiated by the NC back in Nov/Dec 2010, I don't know what is.

Everyone who got in on either an NC or TouchPad has been wondering aloud what the hell is preventing Android manufacturers from getting in on the $200 target. The guess was mainly that at that number, the margins were too slim for the anticipated volume of sales to justify going for it.

Let's hope this attempt to demonstrate to manufacturers that a cheap 7" tablet will sell doesn't fall flat on its face.

Aside from finding a legit price point, I still think somebody has to demonstrate that a tablet is a worthwhile device. IMO that's another genuine opportunity to grab sales. Apple's doing the iPad like they do everything, they're just presenting it as a disposable lifestyle choice for the enlightened. No one's honestly addressed any kind of need or genuine utility the tablet fills that isn't addressed by a good smartphone/laptop combo. You could point to eReading, but that rings hollow given that $79 eReaders aren't hard to come by.

I've had my rooted Nook Color for over a year and a half, and while I've enjoyed it, it's a gussied up eReader. I use it a little for vid, which it handles well, but usually if I want to watch something I'll watch it on the TV or the laptop/home PC. Same goes for gaming, I can run smemulators on it, but it's more comfortable to do that on the home PC so I can use a controller. I just don't *need* the NC. It's fun to play with here and there, but if someone expects me to buy another tablet, they've got to expand the possibilities of what I can do with it. I guess that falls both on manufacturers and Android developers.

[quote name='dohdough']Your OS problems are more related to the device manufacturers customizing Android rather then Android itself. Once you go Nexus, you don't have that problem and Android devs are much quicker at releasing fixes. I'm pretty much done with non-Nexus devices.

Your Touchpad issue is completely different since Android was hacked onto it. The BB Playbook probably has better compatibility than the Touchpad.:lol:

I agree that $200 is a great price point. After having a 10 inch screen though, I don't know how I'd be able to go down to 7.[/QUOTE]Since I'm not leaving Sprint, the only option is the Galaxy Nexus, which is one I'm giving serious thought to moving to in August. Yes, I know that the carriers are the issue with newer Android hitting, though at the time, I don't think there was a Google phone in the Sprint lineup.

If I stick with Android, I'm going to do a Google-branded phone and nothing else. Since the Nexus is my only option in that category, it makes it a quick conversation.

I'm also fully aware of the TouchPad ICS issues being because of porting as well.

$200 for a Kindle Fire competitor is a great option, especially with double the storage for only $50 more. If it sells well enough, we may see a 10" version before too long.

[quote name='shrike4242']

$200 is a nice entry point for a Google-branded device and I think it'll give both Apple and Amazon some pause. Would have been nicer for Tegra 3 @ $250, though Asus will take care of that shortly.[/QUOTE]

According to the specs, this is sporting a Tegra 3 quad core processor.

Shrike, I don't know where you're getting your info, but this thing does have a Tegra 3 chipset.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...XZpY2VzX1VTX18yX3Byb21vXzEzNDA1MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

Right at the bottom of the specs sheet.

Anyway, I was really excited for this, but I'd feel like a hypocrite buying it, and I already do a bit with my Galaxy Nexus. I've criticized Apple for not including an SD card slot on their phones/tablets, yet the GN doesn't have one either. I've critisized Apple for over charging for increased storage, yet here google wants an extra $50 for 8gb more of storage space. I see Google doing these things and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

[quote name='dumlaox']According to the specs, this is sporting a Tegra 3 quad core processor.[/QUOTE]Article I was reading before apparently was wrong and it's been corrected.

:wall:

Thanks for the fact checking. Tegra 3 in it, sold.

[quote name='shrike4242']Since I'm not leaving Sprint, the only option is the Galaxy Nexus, which is one I'm giving serious thought to moving to in August. Yes, I know that the carriers are the issue with newer Android hitting, though at the time, I don't think there was a Google phone in the Sprint lineup.

If I stick with Android, I'm going to do a Google-branded phone and nothing else. Since the Nexus is my only option in that category, it makes it a quick conversation.

I'm also fully aware of the TouchPad ICS issues being because of porting as well.

$200 for a Kindle Fire competitor is a great option, especially with double the storage for only $50 more. If it sells well enough, we may see a 10" version before too long.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, once you go Nexus, no more problems...or at least the fixes come quicker. If you can hold out, they're probably going to announce a new Nexus phone in a few months. With the Nexus brand being opened up to more manufacturers, you'll get far more choices if you're not a fan of the Galaxy Nexus. It's still a great phone and I really like mine enough, but I'm just not a fan of Samsung phones in general. Either way, I'm sure you won't regret going Nexus for your next phone.

It also wouldn't surprise me if we get a bigger version soon. Probably around the holidays. If I remember correctly, they had to rush this one out.

I own a Transformer Prime and I hope the Nexus really saturates the market with Tegra 3 so they release more games.

I've never had a tablet or android device so my question is there a good app for Microsoft office? Something so I can take notes on my tablet in class and then send them as a word file to my laptop?

[quote name='urmomlikesme']I've never had a tablet or android device so my question is there a good app for Microsoft office? Something so I can take notes on my tablet in class and then send them as a word file to my laptop?[/QUOTE]
There are tons note-taking apps, but the good ones revolve around using a stylus. Frankly, typing notes on the screen sucks and if you're planning on getting a keyboard dock, you're still better off with a cheap laptop.

Docs To Go is popular and there's also a Google Docs app if you want Office compatibility.

[quote name='shrike4242']Since I'm not leaving Sprint, the only option is the Galaxy Nexus, which is one I'm giving serious thought to moving to in August. Yes, I know that the carriers are the issue with newer Android hitting, though at the time, I don't think there was a Google phone in the Sprint lineup.

$200 for a Kindle Fire competitor is a great option, especially with double the storage for only $50 more. If it sells well enough, we may see a 10" version before too long.[/QUOTE]
Actually I believe Sprint already had the Nexus S 4G at the time.

I honestly didn't think I'd have any use for a 7" after picking up a 10" Toshiba Thrive. I used that Thrive everyday until I picked up a Kindle Fire three months ago for $50 after some gift certificates. I love them both the same, and its easier to take a 7" inside a folio into the bathroom or whatever. I've even tucked it in my cargo pants pocket when its not in a case.

I'm going to get this tablet day one, the 8gb for sure. I haven't even come close to using up the internal memory on the Fire, and once you get over the fact that not EVERY app has to be installed on the device at once, open space seems fine. I don't even bother putting movies, music or pics on these things b/c I stream everything from everywhere..

[quote name='Clak']Actually I believe Sprint already had the Nexus S 4G at the time.[/QUOTE]The Nexus 4G had numerous issues out of the gate with dropped call issues and very slow data connectivity, so people were avoiding it like the plague until they posted fixes for it, multiple months after the Photon came out.

[quote name='shrike4242']The Nexus 4G had numerous issues out of the gate with dropped call issues and very slow data connectivity, so people were avoiding it like the plague until they posted fixes for it, multiple months after the Photon came out.[/QUOTE]
Eh, every phone has issues, even the Galaxy Nexus. The development time for these things doesn't leave enough time for them to test them as well as they probably should I think.

I just read on Engadget that Gamestop is going to be selling this in store but are only going to sell the 16 GB at 250 (so no price increase which is nice). So that might be a viable option since I'm pretty sure we all have some GameStop credit.

This would be the only tablet I would consider buying that does not have a MicroSD slot. I would only use it for a few apps and reading books and comics. I wonder if they will continue to update the Android OS on it .

[quote name='sendme']This would be the only tablet I would consider buying that does not have a MicroSD slot. I would only use it for a few apps and reading books and comics. I wonder if they will continue to update the Android OS on it .[/QUOTE]
Since it's a Nexus-line device, it will and it'll be straight from google. No more need to wait for manufacturers to put out their own flavor of Android.

[quote name='sendme']This would be the only tablet I would consider buying that does not have a MicroSD slot. I would only use it for a few apps and reading books and comics. I wonder if they will continue to update the Android OS on it .[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it will be updated for a good while. Any Nexus device will b until it reaches the point that the hardware is too outdated to run the software well.

Seems like the Android OS is being updated as much as Apple changes the iPhone. Now my only thing I'm wondering is when it will no longer be updated. Still tempted to order. It all depends on when I can get a Galaxy S III. If that screen is good enough for me then I wont bother if I do want the larger screen for comics and books then this will be ordered. How are comics on 7 inch tabs? Can you read the page with out zooming in on it?

[quote name='sendme']Seems like the Android OS is being updated as much as Apple changes the iPhone. Now my only thing I'm wondering is when it will no longer be updated. Still tempted to order. It all depends on when I can get a Galaxy S III. If that screen is good enough for me then I wont bother if I do want the larger screen for comics and books then this will be ordered. How are comics on 7 inch tabs? Can you read the page with out zooming in on it?[/QUOTE]
Android is a little quicker than iOS considering how long they've been on the market, but they're close enough. I'd give the tablet at least 2 years of official updates from release with a solid dev support from cyanogen for as long as they can hack updates onto it. If Flash is important to you, you might want to think about another tablet and upgrading to 4.1 because they just announced that there will be no flash support for 4.1 and beyond.

As for comics on a 7 incher, you could read them in portrait mode, but landscape will be much easier. Books obviously won't be a problem, but a 10 inch is far better for comics.

[quote name='dohdough']Android is a little quicker than iOS considering how long they've been on the market, but they're close enough. I'd give the tablet at least 2 years of official updates from release with a solid dev support from cyanogen for as long as they can hack updates onto it. If Flash is important to you, you might want to think about another tablet and upgrading to 4.1 because they just announced that there will be no flash support for 4.1 and beyond.

As for comics on a 7 incher, you could read them in portrait mode, but landscape will be much easier. Books obviously won't be a problem, but a 10 inch is far better for comics.[/QUOTE]Really? No Flash support from 4.1 and beyond? Interesting. Guess Adobe's starting to learn that Flash on mobile devices isn't worth dealing with any longer.

[quote name='sendme']Thanks. I guess I will keep looking for a 10 inch.[/QUOTE]That's what she said. ;)

[quote name='dohdough']Yup. I don't go to a lot of Flash sites on my phone, but I like knowing it's there if I ever want it. Looks like I'm not updating to 4.1 when it comes out.

http://www.gsmarena.com/flash_playe...ore_to_cease_starting_august_15-news-4459.php
[/quote]Very very interesting. Didn't realize that Flash on Android was going the way of the do-do. One nice thing with an Android phone was the ability to use Flash, though most of the time, it's not a huge issue for me.

I'm curious to see how it pans out with phones that go to 4.1 and no one realizes Flash doesn't work.

HAHAHA...nice.
And people say size doesn't matter.....

I realize everyone is getting hard over HTML5, but Adobe and Google must understand that there is still a demand for Flash capabilities. The ultimate irony is that youtube uses Flash.

[quote name='Clak']I realize everyone is getting hard over HTML5, but Adobe and Google must understand that there is still a demand for Flash capabilities. The ultimate irony is that youtube uses Flash.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...I'm guessing that Google isn't pressuring Adobe because Google wants more Chrome users. Maybe they'll go the Opera Mini route and do proxy servers. I'm talking out of my ass on this one because I don't know squat about Chrome and obviously don't use it.:lol:

Chrome on the pc uses it's own version of flash player built right into the plugins. You do not have to download it from adobe in order to view flash content. Perhaps when Android 4.1 releases the Chrome for android beta will end and it will have flash built into it as well. That will force everyone to use the Chrome browser over Dolphin and other programs.

How about they make a poverty level version for those of us who can't afford $200, and leave out the camera, GPS, accelerometer, microphone, bluetooth, bloatware, movie, and whatever other doodads are unnecessary?

I've wanted a pad for so long now, but would never actually use any of the things I listed above.

I'd basically use it for video, internet at home, and ebooks. Probably wouldn't actually ever take it outside the house.

There are poverty-level tablets out there, just not Google Nexus devices.

Loss of Flash (hopefully the thing about it just being built into Chrome on Android will be an accurate guess) and no external SD card slot has sort of soured me on this device, but we'll see how it's received when it comes out.

[quote name='praxus07']How about they make a poverty level version for those of us who can't afford $200, and leave out the camera, GPS, accelerometer, microphone, bluetooth, bloatware, movie, and whatever other doodads are unnecessary?

I've wanted a pad for so long now, but would never actually use any of the things I listed above.

I'd basically use it for video, internet at home, and ebooks. Probably wouldn't actually ever take it outside the house.[/QUOTE]
Get a Nook Color. It's the best one you can get for under $150 when on sale.

[quote name='dohdough']Get a Nook Color. It's the best one you can get for under $150 when on sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking $100 or under for something that runs well but doesn't have anything unnecessary like a cam, gps, microphone, or anything else people never use, and isn't an e-reader with some stuff tacked on. If the nexus came bare bones without all the extra stuff it'd probably be around $100.

[quote name='Habbler']Chrome on the pc uses it's own version of flash player built right into the plugins. You do not have to download it from adobe in order to view flash content. Perhaps when Android 4.1 releases the Chrome for android beta will end and it will have flash built into it as well. That will force everyone to use the Chrome browser over Dolphin and other programs.[/QUOTE]
The beta for Chrome is already over, still no flash. For whatever reason Google, and I guess Adobe, seem to be siding with Apple on this one, and I don't get why. Like I said Google ,owns Youtube and Youtube still uses flash, it makes no sense. And the final nail in the coffin is that since Adobe is no longer developing the mobile flash player, they're not updating it for 4.1 Jellybean.

So yeah, I'm about to lose flash on my GN when it updates in the near future.

Every time I read an Android article on Verge it seems like I can feel an undercurrent of hate towards the platform.

Has anyone heard if this will be available from Amazon (or anywhere other than Google directly)? Not really interested in buying it unless I can use my 50 dollar Amazon credit on it.

It's not up for preorder, don't know if that's because Google wants everyone to order the first batch from them, or if they just don't plan to sell it anywhere else.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Has anyone heard if this will be available from Amazon (or anywhere other than Google directly)? Not really interested in buying it unless I can use my 50 dollar Amazon credit on it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will be available on Amazon. The Nexus 7 is the most direct competitor to Amazon's Kindle Fire.

I read that some stores (Target, Best Buy, etc...) will carry the Nexus 7 in August.

bread's done
Back