* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

#1231 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11760 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/4756252125

The Persona 5 Animation Material Book is up for Preorder on Amazon for around $20.

#1232 VincenteX   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Does anyone know if I make a purchase at Geeks Line Publishing (I am considering their SNES Anthology) from the U.S. whether or not I will incur a foreign transaction fee from my bank? It seems they are based in France, but I'm just curious if anyone has experience buying from them. Thanks!

#1233 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone know if I make a purchase at Geeks Line Publishing (I am considering their SNES Anthology) from the U.S. whether or not I will incur a foreign transaction fee from my bank? It seems they are based in France, but I'm just curious if anyone has experience buying from them. Thanks!

I've never used their site direct, as I always buy through their KS campaigns, but for me personally, those international fees for CC applies to some, but not for others, it just depends on the card being used. I have one that never charges, and one that does, so you may want to call CS on the card and ask, as they should be able to tell you. It's like anything in the financial realm, as some places want your business and won't charge for nickel & dime BS, while other places do shit like that every chance they get.

#1234 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3565 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

Get a Capital One credit card. They don't have foreign transaction fees. I think it's all dependent on who your CC is through.

#1235 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

Get a Capital One credit card. They don't have foreign transaction fees. I think it's all dependent on who your CC is through.

Yep, that's the one I use that never charges, but I guess that may also depend on what level card you may have, as every bank has many levels of cards offered(some with different features).

#1236 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12354 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

I bought a few books last fall directly from Geeksline and was charged a foreign transaction fee as none of my cards waive it. If you have a card that does waive them be sure to use it.

#1237 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6684 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

I am looking to get a book sleeve/cover/thing for The Art of Borderlands 2 since I have it signed by a few people and it is a rare book in general, but no idea what to look for....

If it helps, the Design Archives for Valkyria Chronicles I got from Udon YEARS AGO came with something like that.

#1238 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3565 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

Are you thinking something like this:

http://www.walmart.c...-x-15/515787974

#1239 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6684 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Are you thinking something like this:

http://www.walmart.c...-x-15/515787974

That covers just the front and back cover and the spine, like a dust jacket almost right? No, I'll take a photo to better explain it.

Hmmm on second looking, that seems right, if it they make it in the right size:

This is the one that I currently have on the VC Design Archives (it came with it):

Spoiler

Just measured the Borderlands 2 Art book and it is 12H x 9W x1D (inches)

#1240 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

I am looking to get a book sleeve/cover/thing for The Art of Borderlands 2 since I have it signed by a few people and it is a rare book in general, but no idea what to look for....

If it helps, the Design Archives for Valkyria Chronicles I got from Udon YEARS AGO came with something like that.

Yeah, I think you may be referring to magazine style poly bags(comics as well), something like this: http://www.bagsunlim...ylene-1-12-flap

This is what I use for most of my books and magazines, as the ones shown by Wings, would be to hard to get a proper fit, as almost all my books are different shapes, sizes and thickness. With these poly bags, you can get 1-2 different sizes and cover a large group of books with just the two. I keep standard magazine bags for regular size stuff like Nintendo Force, and that covers 50% of most things. Then I have a "Life" magazine style bag that is much bigger to fit Life magazines, and these fit those Udon books, UK Mags(Retro Gamer,Etc.) and some hardcovers up to some decent sizes. If a books to small, you can just fold over the flap and tape and then you have a nice tight fit, so they can be customized as well by folding and taping.

EDIT: And if you go this route, make sure to price compare, as some places can charge astronomical prices for this stuff. And if some place has a good price, their shipping may kill the deal, so just be cautious.

#1241 trunks982   Wii are the Champions! CAGiversary!   6271 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

That covers just the front and back cover and the spine, like a dust jacket almost right? No, I'll take a photo to better explain it.

Hmmm on second looking, that seems right, if it they make it in the right size:

This is the one that I currently have on the VC Design Archives (it came with it):

Spoiler

Just measured the Borderlands 2 Art book and it is 12H x 9W x1D (inches)

nice toenail

#1242 VincenteX   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

I bought a few books last fall directly from Geeksline and was charged a foreign transaction fee as none of my cards waive it. If you have a card that does waive them be sure to use it.

Yep, that's the one I use that never charges, but I guess that may also depend on what level card you may have, as every bank has many levels of cards offered(some with different features).

I've never used their site direct, as I always buy through their KS campaigns, but for me personally, those international fees for CC applies to some, but not for others, it just depends on the card being used...

Thanks for the reply, everyone. I appreciate the input. I believe one of my credit cards features no foreign transaction fee so I'll make sure to use that instead of my usual card.

#1243 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4274 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

Shigenori Soejima Art Works 2004-2010 appears to be getting a reprint. Right Stuf is listing an Oct. 29 release date.

#1244 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11760 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

Shigenori Soejima Art Works 2004-2010 appears to be getting a reprint. Right Stuf is listing an Oct. 29 release date.

If that can get a reprint, Valkyria Chronicles should get a reprint too

#1245 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3133 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:27 AM

I wish the Ys, Okami, and Valkyria Chronicles art books were hardcover. I've so far avoided buying softcover books due to fear of them falling apart.

#1246 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:13 AM

I wish the Ys, Okami, and Valkyria Chronicles art books were hardcover. I've so far avoided buying softcover books due to fear of them falling apart.

When they reissued the current Mega Man books, they made them HC, but that's not normally a thing for Udon in regards to these certain types of books. I have tons of their softcovers, and have never had any issues, but I normally keep them in plastic bags and properly stored. They do have HC books, but those are usually more expensive, so those are usually reserved for more popular franchises that can demand the more premium pricing.

#1247 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3565 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:15 AM

Originally, the hardcovers were convention exclusives. Then they sold overstock in their own site. Prices were $80-100. Now, they’ve started reprinting hardcovers at lower prices and selling them on Amazon.

I would love to have okami in hardcover!

#1248 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

My order of Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Volume 3 just shipped from Amazon.

#1249 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6654 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:07 AM

Anyone after Valkria Design Archive?

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/401783063802

(Not my listing.)

#1250 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3133 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:20 AM

Man, my Ultimania 3 arrived with a few dents. I received two damaged Ultimania 2 books (one with dents and the other with dents and discoloration), and I got a third replacement. This time I'll probably keep it though since it's a hassle to drop it off and I worry they'll ban me for returns. Plus, I think they don't look for damage before shipping.

#1251 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12354 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:47 AM

Man, my Ultimania 3 arrived with a few dents. I received two damaged Ultimania 2 books (one with dents and the other with dents and discoloration), and I got a third replacement. This time I'll probably keep it though since it's a hassle to drop it off and I worry they'll ban me for returns. Plus, I think they don't look for damage before shipping.

Amazon shipped my copy in a large box, but with no padding inside whatsoever, so anytime the box moved you could hear it thud against the side.  Luckily it had minimal damage so I will keep it.  Going to leave some packaging feedback though and let them know their packaging is a joke.

#1252 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:59 AM

Mine arrived damaged. I'm going to drop it at an Amazon locker tomorrow and should have a replacement on Thursday.

It's also available in local Barnes & Nobles, but for $10-15 more than Amazon.

#1253 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

I'll let you know when they really ban for returns.  I currently have a pile of them on my dining room table, which has pretty much become an Amazon return center.  It's rare when I don't go through at least one replacement when it comes to Amazon orders.  

If anyone cares about getting books in perfect condition, I'd order those Dark Horse video game art books from instocktrades.com.   I think sometimes Amazon might offer a little more of a discount on Dark Horse books, but the odds of getting damaged books from instocktrades.com are slim.

#1254 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

I'll let you know when they really ban for returns.  I currently have a pile of them on my dining room table, which has pretty much become an Amazon return center.  It's rare when I don't go through at least one replacement when it comes to Amazon orders.  

If anyone cares about getting books in perfect condition, I'd order those Dark Horse video game art books from instocktrades.com.   I think sometimes Amazon might offer a little more of a discount on Dark Horse books, but the odds of getting damaged books from instocktrades.com are slim.

Yeah, I used to use B&N as a back up to Amazon, but I just let my membership expire, as their prices became shit in the last year, and packaging was hit and miss(having local returns helped though). Those deluxe Darkhorse books actually come in protective boxes, that even when packed poorly, insure a pretty good arrival condition. Sadly, the standard books often arrive in less than great condition, but I normally try to order at least 2 of those, as that helps to improve my odds.

#1255 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3133 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

Amazon shipped my copy in a large box, but with no padding inside whatsoever, so anytime the box moved you could hear it thud against the side.  Luckily it had minimal damage so I will keep it.  Going to leave some packaging feedback though and let them know their packaging is a joke.

That's good that it arrived fine. I should probably do that as well.

Mine arrived damaged. I'm going to drop it at an Amazon locker tomorrow and should have a replacement on Thursday.

It's also available in local Barnes & Nobles, but for $10-15 more than Amazon.

That sucks, good luck on the new one. I'll have to consider B&N in the future, but it would be nice if the price was a little closer.

Sounds like a pretty common issue then. I had heard reports of people being banned for too many returns, but maybe it doesn't count if they're damaged or something. Thanks for the site, hadn't heard of it, but their prices are close to Amazon, so I'll definitely keep them in mind for future orders.

#1256 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:22 AM

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the InStockTrades site, as I used them years ago, and they were awesome. When i first found their site, I thought it was a scam, because the prices where so good. So after I placed my order, and did some research, I saw they were legit, so I placed another order.

Then, customer service contacted me because I had placed two orders for the same price, and they thought I may have made a mistake, and wanted to catch it. How awesome was that? A place actually trying to prevent fraud, instead of being a part of it, what a concept right? LOL

I thought I was on their email list, but I guess not, as I completely forgot about that place until today, and they did have some amazing deals.

#1257 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11760 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:34 AM

My copies came in alright.

20190611_190033_zpsa4bj13k0.jpg

#1258 tonyvx  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:18 AM

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the InStockTrades site, as I used them years ago, and they were awesome. When i first found their site, I thought it was a scam, because the prices where so good. So after I placed my order, and did some research, I saw they were legit, so I placed another order.

Then, customer service contacted me because I had placed two orders for the same price, and they thought I may have made a mistake, and wanted to catch it. How awesome was that? A place actually trying to prevent fraud, instead of being a part of it, what a concept right? LOL

I thought I was on their email list, but I guess not, as I completely forgot about that place until today, and they did have some amazing deals.

Sometimes I feel bad like I'm getting over on them with some of the deals they have that stack, until recently I went and added up the maaany thousands of dollars I've spent there over the years. Many orders including books I didn't even want/need, or had random filler to hit that $50 free shipping.

Now I'm not so sure that they are the ones who've been taken advantage of in our relationship...

#1259 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7067 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

Sometimes I feel bad like I'm getting over on them with some of the deals they have that stack, until recently I went and added up the maaany thousands of dollars I've spent there over the years. Many orders including books I didn't even want/need, or had random filler to hit that $50 free shipping.

Now I'm not so sure that they are the ones who've been taken advantage of in our relationship...

LOL. yeah, it's probably good I forgot about these guys, as no telling how much I may have spent since that first order a few years back(3 years to be exact). If I had one complaint, it would be that shipping took a minute, but considering it was free, and the books I ordered weighed a ton, it was all good.

#1260 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

LOL. yeah, it's probably good I forgot about these guys, as no telling how much I may have spent since that first order a few years back(3 years to be exact). If I had one complaint, it would be that shipping took a minute, but considering it was free, and the books I ordered weighed a ton, it was all good.

I'd be scared to look at my total.  When I look at my order history, it's staggering.  I occasionally feel like asking them how many people order more than I do.  Obviously, most of that is not video game art books, but I do have almost all of the Dark Horse ones.  There is an occasional issue with Dark Horse where they may not stock something immediately for some reason.  It has been a while since that has happened, though.  

And, yeah, they are not the greatest if anyone values speed over condition.  For me, I don't care if I have to wait as long as I don't have to worry about books looking worse than if I picked them up at a garage sale.  And I am admittedly super picky (right now my nightmare is this latest Trails of Cold Steel game that had to come in a stupid flimsy half empty cardboard box that has been impossible to get without it being creased/damaged on corners - if only IST sold video games).  Instocktrades' shipping time has even increased since they stopped using Fedex by default (I did recently start getting stuff from Fedex again, though, so I wonder if a change is coming).  I usually get stuff in 6-7 days after order.    For books that aren't Dark Horse, that is still probably before Amazon would start shipping them.  

They are the only retailer I know of that actually cares about books arriving to the customer in the same condition they left.  And the cost of the packing materials is obviously not passed on to the customer, either.  If they ever go under, my entire life will have to be re-evaluated.  :)