The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tcrash247']I think I'm gonna bite on the Blizzard book, but does anyone know why it's under review on Amazon?[/QUOTE]

It's typically because they've received complaints of poor packaging during shipping (i.e. damaged books). It'll probably get sorted out in a day or two, though nothing will be done to improve said packaging.

[quote name='WingsDJY']It's typically because they've received complaints of poor packaging during shipping (i.e. damaged books). It'll probably get sorted out in a day or two, though nothing will be done to improve said packaging.[/QUOTE]

Ah shit, ok, thanks.

[quote name='blinknot4']My Clamshell Edition of the Dead Space artbook arrived yesterday. It is huge, heavy, and absolutely amazing. Highly recommended for any fellow DS fans. Only 1,000 of these editions were made and it appears you can still order it.
http://gear.ea.com/art-of-dead-space-clamshell-edition.html

Coolcoolcool.[/QUOTE]

Tempted by the normal edition for sure - not sure tempted enough by CE to pay the extra $40....hmmmm.

[quote name='blinknot4']My Clamshell Edition of the Dead Space artbook arrived yesterday. It is huge, heavy, and absolutely amazing. Highly recommended for any fellow DS fans. Only 1,000 of these editions were made and it appears you can still order it.
http://gear.ea.com/art-of-dead-space-clamshell-edition.html

Coolcoolcool.[/QUOTE]

I got mine today and was kind of confused about what exactly was "extra" in the book. It looks just like the one on Amazon, and the inside page has an ISBN for the regular edition and an ISBN for the "limited edition". The ISBN on my copy is just the regular edition one.

edit: Nevermind, I see what's extra. Pages 188+. Weird that they aren't marked in any way. I still wonder about the ISBN thing.

Some spoilers for Dead Space 3 if anybody is interested...

Tau Volantis was originally a water planet populated by aquatic aliens. They turned into necromorphs, and the planet froze.

Also, there will be a "Necromoon" - a necromorph that is the size of a moon, or is a moon - something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is super hit and miss with Big heavy art books. If you order the Blizzard art book, make sure you order it alone(WIth nothing else, especially not other books). Additionally, if it has any damage to it at all, send it back. I would expect a perfect copy with 4 sharp corners and no damage to the dust jacket

So for those that already have their Art of Dead Space, worth the $23 on Amazon? I absolutely LOVE the series, just curious if I should get this book.

[quote name='Sharkey1337']So for those that already have their Art of Dead Space, worth the $23 on Amazon? I absolutely LOVE the series, just curious if I should get this book.[/QUOTE]

It has some annoying pointless typos (likes b8ones instead of bones' but the artwork is brilliant and it's a nice weight/size. I ordered the clamshell and don't regret it at that pricepoint so you can't go wrong at $23.

I don't know if it's common but the first page does say 'first printing february 2013' so if you want to get in on a potential first batch do so now.

[quote name='RainFall']Amazon is super hit and miss with Big heavy art books. If you order the Blizzard art book, make sure you order it alone(WIth nothing else, especially not other books). Additionally, if it has any damage to it at all, send it back. I would expect a perfect copy with 4 sharp corners and no damage to the dust jacket[/QUOTE]

My Blizzard book was shipped with Hyrule Historia, and luckily arrived in perfect condition. I am always worried about Amazon shipping heavy books, so hit and miss.

[quote name='Gators300']Did anyone get The Art of Blizzard? At $46 it is a little on the more expensive side, so I would like another person's opinion before pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Book is gorgeous. Super thick compared to other art books, good quality printing with lots of artist commentary. Must have for Warcraft/Diablo/Starcraft fans.

I'm torn on what to do with my book. It was shipped with Hyrule Historia, and the corners on both books were damaged. Although the Art of Blizzard took the brunt of the damage. It's not terrible, but Amazon offered 40% off both purchases, or I could return them for new copies. Part of me feels like I'm being anal retentive - I mean I guess it's not going to be really on display anywhere, just sit on my shelf, so I think I'm going to take the credit.

But either way, bummer that they're all coming in damaged.

I'm terribly picky about my books, and I say don't feel bad about returning for new ones. If you're the type to take immaculate care of your art books like I am, then get yourself one that's in perfect shape to start. You paid for it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm ordering the Clam-Shell DS3 edition soon hopefully. I am a concept artist for films and video games myself, and for what it's worth, the Borderlands 2, Assassins Creed 3, Darksiders 2, and Halo 4 (god, especially the Halo 4 book) are all awesome so far. Looking forward to the Last of Us and that newly announced Tomb Raider book!

[quote name='blitztwn36']I'm torn on what to do with my book. It was shipped with Hyrule Historia, and the corners on both books were damaged. Although the Art of Blizzard took the brunt of the damage. It's not terrible, but Amazon offered 40% off both purchases, or I could return them for new copies. Part of me feels like I'm being anal retentive - I mean I guess it's not going to be really on display anywhere, just sit on my shelf, so I think I'm going to take the credit.

But either way, bummer that they're all coming in damaged.[/QUOTE]

Take the 40% off and enjoy giving use to a nice artbook instead of having to worry about that first car scratch.(the blizzard one obv)

Wow, a League of Legends artbook? Strange, their art has always been pretty awful up until a couple years ago. Although I doubt any of the old stuff would even be in there.

[quote name='vherub']What's the difference between the first run sky and the slipcase reprint?[/QUOTE]
It just includes the 3 hardcover art books, none of the extras, in a slipcase instead of the box. If you're in it for the art books themselves, there's no difference, and it's a great price.

[quote name='proKoyeon']http://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Raider-The-Art-Survival/dp/0744014549/ref=pd_sim_b_27

Tomb Raider The Art of Survival[/QUOTE]

For any of you interested in Tomb Raider art, here's an excellent 2-volume slip-cased set that covers every game through Underworld.
http://dreamsandvisionspress.com/theartoftombraider.aspx

Here's a video flip-through: http://artoftombraider.blogspot.com/2010/03/video-walkthrough.html

While it's definitely expensive, the price has dropped significantly. It was originally $150 when it released a couple years ago.

i've flipped through this book personally and while i would recommend this for tomb raider diehards, if ur just interested for good concept art, look elsewhere. the quality of artwork is very low since industry standards for concept art were low back when most of the games were being developed.

[quote name='WingsDJY']For any of you interested in Tomb Raider art, here's an excellent 2-volume slip-cased set that covers every game through Underworld.
http://dreamsandvisionspress.com/theartoftombraider.aspx

Here's a video flip-through: http://artoftombraider.blogspot.com/2010/03/video-walkthrough.html

While it's definitely expensive, the price has dropped significantly. It was originally $150 when it released a couple years ago.[/QUOTE]

Holy 5#!7 do I want that Remember Me book.... love Alexi Briclot... man what a year for art books so far.

how does everyone store their artbooks (and I guess some nice ce/le guides)? if it's sealed it could just be put away in a box or container. But if it's opened how do you keep it protected?

I was thinking of using book covers (book sox etc) but apparently the ones I used for textbooks years ago (got at dollar store) aren't big enough. I barely got one to fit on the Ni no Kuni guide and have not been able to get one on the regular Hyrule Historia.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']how does everyone store their artbooks (and I guess some nice ce/le guides)? if it's sealed it could just be put away in a box or container. But if it's opened how do you keep it protected?

I was thinking of using book covers (book sox etc) but apparently the ones I used for textbooks years ago (got at dollar store) aren't big enough. I barely got one to fit on the Ni no Kuni guide and have not been able to get one on the regular Hyrule Historia.[/QUOTE]

I just keep them all on a bookshelf. I wouldn't worry too much about them getting damaged unless you plan on leaving them out on a table or something.

I have them stacked up, just from the largest on the bottom to the smallest so there isn't uneven weight. Some are horizontal and some are vertical (I have limited and odd shelf space right now).

my book shelves are filled with games and other books. Also a lot of binders filled with old school work etc (some if it is important).

My Ni no Kuni guide is on a desk as is the regular Zelda Hyrule Historia. It's still in the plastic Amazon wrapped it in.

Back on topic. Does anyone have the Journey artbook? the reviews make it seem as a must have. I'm going to start the games soon but have listened to some music which is really good.

[quote name='RainFall']It's in deal graveyard where it belongs :)[/QUOTE]

I'm in charge of the Hyrule Historia topic. It was moved to the deal graveyard mistakenly. Nobody has fixed it yet.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']my book shelves are filled with games and other books. Also a lot of binders filled with old school work etc (some if it is important).

My Ni no Kuni guide is on a desk as is the regular Zelda Hyrule Historia. It's still in the plastic Amazon wrapped it in.

Back on topic. Does anyone have the Journey artbook? the reviews make it seem as a must have. I'm going to start the games soon but have listened to some music which is really good.[/QUOTE]

I have one of the 700 signed copies of the Journey book. First one I received had a printing error, had to get it swapped out. Glad I flipped through the book and saw it otherwise I would have been screwed.

Apparently it's decently valuable, the last one I saw sold for 4x its price. Some of these books go up in value considerably fast, while others sit around in warehouses collecting dust.

Ummm....shouldn't it be called " The screenshot book of Gran Turismo 5"

Maybe that's why the game was delayed. They drew the cars before they realised they could get photos?

Anyway after buying the Star Wars Blueprints signed edition two years ago from EPIC books I'm still not ready to collect

[quote name='ozzymandd']Looks like the guys at Ballistic (the publishers of the pretty fantastic Uncharted 2, Gears of War 3, and forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 art books, among others) have been busy. I see some new titles in their The Art of the Game series have been added to Amazon:

The Art of Twisted Metal
The Art of League of Legends
The Art of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Pre-ordered the ICO / SOTC one. It should come out right in time for my buddy's birthday. One quick question though, do you think that the paperback is just a result of it being a generic entry or will it actually not be a hard cover book?

[quote name='Chemosh013']Thanks for the heads up. Pre-ordered the ICO / SOTC one. It should come out right in time for my buddy's birthday. One quick question though, do you think that the paperback is just a result of it being a generic entry or will it actually not be a hard cover book?[/QUOTE]

Ballistic Art of the Game books typically come in 3 tiers:
- Paperback - $65
- Special Edition (leather hardcover) - $129
- Folio Edition (leather hardcover, special metallic emblem, serialized) - $300

For Uncharted, I think Amazon carried the paperback and special edition, but since then they've only sold the paperback.

Oh, and Ballistic Publishing is in Australia, so shipping is crazy expensive. Here are the costs to ship to Illinois (for God of War 3):
- Paperback - $18.74
- Special Edition - $19.16
- Folio Edition - $106.17!!

You have to really love the game to get a $400+ Folio edition.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Ballistic Art of the Game books typically come in 3 tiers:
- Paperback - $65
- Special Edition (leather hardcover) - $129
- Folio Edition (leather hardcover, special metallic emblem, serialized) - $300

For Uncharted, I think Amazon carried the paperback and special edition, but since then they've only sold the paperback.

Oh, and Ballistic Publishing is in Australia, so shipping is crazy expensive. Here are the costs to ship to Illinois (for God of War 3):
- Paperback - $18.74
- Special Edition - $19.16
- Folio Edition - $106.17!!

You have to really love the game to get a $400+ Folio edition.[/QUOTE]

I almost bought the Gears 3 folio edition until I saw the shipping costs. I bailed out hard.

[quote name='Ionotropic']I almost bought the Gears 3 folio edition until I saw the shipping costs. I bailed out hard.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I went with the paperback.

The Folio edition is definitely solid, though. Unboxing.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, all of Ballistics books come in custom cardboard boxes. No need to worry about shipping damage from Amazon.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Looks like Art of Dead Space dropped 10% to $20.55, even more tempting now - especially with a $20 credit from getting DS3...[/QUOTE]

Glad you posted this. I don't even know what I've been waiting for; been planning on picking this up forever. This makes it even easier.

bread's done
Back