* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

#1321 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4269 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I got the same message, and I approved the delay, as I've been waiting on this one, as it looks cool. It was delayed originally, and it was due to reach the states in late July I believe, so other sellers having it, shows it arrived as planned. No telling what Amazon's hold up is, as maybe their order was larger, so maybe coming by cheaper slower options? After seeing some of the content awhile back, this is actually one of my most anticipated books of the year, so this delay for sure sucks!

Hmmmm... spend an extra $2.60 and get it in two weeks or wait for Amazon and get it in 1-2 months. I might just order it from a third party seller.

#1322 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3901 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Art of Borderlands 3 is up on Amazon ($45; release date 10/29/19). It's published by Insight Editions (Art of Borderlands 2 was from Prima)

https://www.amazon.c...44-ce610b07917f

Here's a preview: https://www.ign.com/...derlands-3-book

#1323 knothead65  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:33 AM

The Art of Last of Us is $20.07 on Amazon (184 pages) 

https://www.amazon.c...e60984245248841

#1324 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:37 PM

I'm glad that the art of Borderlands 3 is hardcover. I'm really over huge paperback art books. They are a bitch to get mint, and they get beat up way too easily. 

#1325 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

I'm glad that the art of Borderlands 3 is hardcover. I'm really over huge paperback art books. They are a bitch to get mint, and they get beat up way too easily. 

I actually get my books in better shape more often when they are softcover over my hardcover book orders, go figure uh? LOL

Often times I think it's because they are smaller and lighter, so less damage when they are slamming around within the mailer, box, etc. I also have an Amazon distro hub in town, so often my books come direct, and the same rules apply. I would say I get HC arriving damaged probably about 90-95% of the time, while the SC arrived damaged maybe about 50-60% of the time.

Now the uber expensive Dark Horse HC arrive in mint condition, as those come in there own special box, so even when that gets smashed or dented, it protects the book within(and that box, is shipped within a box). But in regards to my regular HC books, they almost always arrive damaged, and then some.

#1326 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

I got into the habit of either ordering two, with the goal of having them ship separately, or asking for a replacement. I keep the better one and return the other to Kohl's dropoff. Since I started doing this, they have been putting better packaging on my artbook orders.

#1327 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

I actually get my books in better shape more often when they are softcover over my hardcover book orders, go figure uh? LOL

Often times I think it's because they are smaller and lighter, so less damage when they are slamming around within the mailer, box, etc. I also have an Amazon distro hub in town, so often my books come direct, and the same rules apply. I would say I get HC arriving damaged probably about 90-95% of the time, while the SC arrived damaged maybe about 50-60% of the time.

Now the uber expensive Dark Horse HC arrive in mint condition, as those come in there own special box, so even when that gets smashed or dented, it protects the book within(and that box, is shipped within a box). But in regards to my regular HC books, they almost always arrive damaged, and then some.

Yeah, I get a crazy amount of damaged hardcovers, too, which is super irritating and counter intuitive. Once I've got a mint copy, though, it's significantly easier to use them and keep them that way when they're HC. The softcover ones are always in the danger zone for bent and creased corners; and the books being larger and heavier really only serves to exacerbate that. 

#1328 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

I got into the habit of either ordering two, with the goal of having them ship separately, or asking for a replacement. I keep the better one and return the other to Kohl's dropoff. Since I started doing this, they have been putting better packaging on my artbook orders.

Yeah, I've been using that method for as long back as I can remember(I've recommended it here many times over the years), but in recent times I have just stopped ordering 2 books, as it's it's ridiculous I should have to for proper packaging. And since the softcover books arrive in better shape, and often sent in bubble mailers, I figured what's the point? I was getting two HC in a box, but with no padding, so damages still happen, and then I'm dealing with extra items to return, which may become any issue, but not yet.

#1329 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:26 PM

For HC releases I've actually had the best luck with Book Depository. They have a far higher % success rate than Amazon or B&N for HC Art Books. And the last time one came in that I wasn't happy with, they sent me a replacement without me sending it back, which was pretty sweet. 

#1330 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I've been using that method for as long back as I can remember(I've recommended it here many times over the years), but in recent times I have just stopped ordering 2 books, as it's it's ridiculous I should have to for proper packaging. And since the softcover books arrive in better shape, and often sent in bubble mailers, I figured what's the point? I was getting two HC in a box, but with no padding, so damages still happen, and then I'm dealing with extra items to return, which may become any issue, but not yet.

I hear ya. When I order two HC books I usually wait until the first ships and then order the second one. That way I get two chances at the packing lottery.

#1331 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4371 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.

#1332 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.

I haven't used them in recent times, as my last order was a few years ago, but they where awesome at the time, no question. Great prices and great packaging to boot, but they do ship kind of slow. After placing my order, I would say it took them about a week to ship it, and then another week plus to arrive(media mail cheap shipping option).

At the time, since their prices where so good, I ordered two of the same item, and customer service contacted me immediately to make sure I hadn't ordered 2 of the same thing by mistake, who does that? Most places could care less, and if you made an error, it would be your dime to return it, if it's allowed at all. So when places do stuff like that, they earn HUGE points in my book, as most places could't be bothered. Now I can't say for sure they still operate this way, but chances are good.

Awhile back their name popped back up in this thread, and everyone spoke the same high praises, so you should be safe, but maybe wait on a few more reports before ordering anything.

#1333 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5129 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

Has anyone here ordered artbooks from instocktrades, and if so, what was your experience like? I've seen them mentioned on other forums as a good place to order graphic novels/manga from, and while browsing, noticed that they carry some video game artbooks from publishers like Dark Horse and Udon. Their prices are very good, too.

Yes, they're fantastic. I still make at least one order per month with them, and they pack things so well with polybags and foam that damage to your books is basically impossible. Don't hesitate to use them.

#1334 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13117 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:57 AM

Speaking of damaged books from Amazon, my NES Encyclopedia arrived today....in a bubble mailer.  Sure enough, the bottom right front (and back) covers are damaged and pushed in.  Guess I will see if they will ship me a new one in a box, or at least offer a discount since this is not acceptable for a new product.  Man, Amazon started their business with books, its a shame they treat them so bad now.

The book itself is really quite nice.  I look forward to reading though it eventually.

#1335 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Speaking of damaged books from Amazon, my NES Encyclopedia arrived today....in a bubble mailer.  Sure enough, the bottom right front (and back) covers are damaged and pushed in.  Guess I will see if they will ship me a new one in a box, or at least offer a discount since this is not acceptable for a new product.  Man, Amazon started their business with books, its a shame they treat them so bad now.

The book itself is really quite nice.  I look forward to reading though it eventually.

They may give you a discount credit, but don't even bother to ask about a box, as CS does not talk to shipping, so any promises made there will not be honored by other departments sadly. There's no harm in asking I suppose, as I got an almost $200 order free years ago from a CS supervisor promising me one thing, and having to deliver on another for my damaged order. At this point I've known for years how Amazon does things, so I try my best with tips & tricks when ordering to not have issues, but it no longer works all that often, as they are just shit on so many levels at this point.

Yeah, this order is actually one of my last "2" books ordered ones, as I was unsure at the time how supply would be for this, so I ordered 2 just in case. I may get both damaged, or maybe 1 of the 2 will be OK, it's always a crap shoot with Amazon. Hell, my order hasn't even shipped yet for this book, so I'm not that hopeful for no  Fuckups, but time will tell.

I saw a video awhile back from the creator, and yeah this book really surprised me, as that was when I actually ordered. I see books like this all the time that do a bare minimum content wise(and production values), but this looks like a top shelf effort, and deserves the support.

#1336 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3901 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

Last time I ordered 2 copies, it was the Dark Souls Compendium. Preordered them a week apart. Amazon combined them into a single shipment. The weight was so heavy that the box split open during shipping (not on a seam, but in the middle of the cardboard).

Fortunately the replacements were okay

#1337 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

Well, finally got my shipping notice for the NES Encyclopedia from Amazon yesterday, and is due to arrive on Saturday. So fingers crossed one or both arrive safely, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL

#1338 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13117 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Well, finally got my shipping notice for the NES Encyclopedia from Amazon yesterday, and is due to arrive on Saturday. So fingers crossed one or both arrive safely, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL

Good luck!  Hopefully you get one of them in decent shape.  Watch them both ship in a jumbo bubble mailer...typical Amazon.

#1339 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

Good luck!  Hopefully you get one of them in decent shape.  Watch them both ship in a jumbo bubble mailer...typical Amazon.

Sadly, that thought already crossed my mind. LOL

#1340 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

Drum roll please...............Two of the best condition HC I've gotten in a rather long time actually. LOL

So Amazon shipped in a box not much bigger than the books, with a few bubble air packs, and that was that. One book is about perfect, and there is only a small dent at one of the corners on the other. If I had only ordered one and had gotten the damaged corner, it's for sure an acceptable imperfection that I would have kept normally. As I often have to weigh the "decent" item now, to a possible more "damaged" one later. So since I got one in perfect shape, no need to accept a lesser book condition this go around, but that isn't always the case normally.

Depending on the book, I often keep the 2nd more damaged one to gift to my son when it's something he's in to, as he beats stuff up anyway, so a few imperfections go unnoticed by him anyways. After getting him an NES classic he barely used, a book like this would never get touched, so the damaged one here will go back, but it was better than most in the grand scheme of things.

#1341 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

Mine arrived in a bubble mailer with one of the corners very dented. Asked for a replacement, which usually comes in a box with air pillows.

#1342 knothead65  

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

Art of Death Stranding is up for pre-order on Amazon (256 Pages)

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,270&sr=8-2

#1343 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

Has anyone purchased the "Dragon Quest Illustrations" art book from Viz that can tell me whether or not it came shrinkwrapped? I ordered a copy from Amazon and it's not sealed. I know that not all art books are shrinkwrapped so I'm just curious. Might return it if it was supposed to be sealed.

#1344 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11867 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

Has anyone purchased the "Dragon Quest Illustrations" art book from Viz that can tell me whether or not it came shrinkwrapped? I ordered a copy from Amazon and it's not sealed. I know that not all art books are shrinkwrapped so I'm just curious. Might return it if it was supposed to be sealed.

no

#1345 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:25 PM

no

No as in it was not shrinkwrapped?

#1346 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11867 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

No as in it was not shrinkwrapped?

yes

#1347 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:58 AM

yes

Thank you. 

#1348 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4371 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:57 AM

Thank you.

For future reference, Viz artbooks are generally not factory shrinkwrapped. I have a handful of anime/manga artbooks from them, and don't remember any of them being shrinkwrapped.

#1349 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:18 AM

For future reference, Viz artbooks are generally not factory shrinkwrapped. I have a handful of anime/manga artbooks from them, and don't remember any of them being shrinkwrapped.

Yeah, in general, I get very few books that come shrink wrapped as that's just another cost, and most places are extra cheap bastards! LOL

Normally the only books that come sealed are ones that have some item that needs to be enclosed, like a bookmark or info paper leaflet, etc. Other wise, they all come open more often than not, but books of a higher quality and or value often always come sealed, as it helps to prevent damages. 

#1350 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13117 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

The Game Console is down to $9.47 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-1

This is an amazing, high quality book.  I highly recommend it!