* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

#1561 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7735 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

The Art of Atari is currently $21.51 on Amazon, and I can't say if this is the best the price has been for this, but this book is one of the few I would recommend at full price. At the beginning of gaming, a HUGE imagination was key, and the art Atari used still drops my jaw to this day, and this book is all about it.

Sadly, as games got better looking, many developers/publishers used less and less quality box art, as more games could speak for themselves with in game graphics. Art like this, and the same with manuals is now just a lost "art" so to speak, but when it was good, damn, it was truly amazing. The reviews for this book speak for themselves, and at this price, this is a no brainer.

https://smile.amazon...customerReviews

#1562 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7735 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

Well, here's a blast from the past, Pixel Perfect: Punch-Out!! (NES Hardcover Book) is now available on Kickstarter, as this was first offered there back in 2013. The author made the mistake of trying to get "N" involved, and needless to say that went tits up, and the book was never officially released.

While looking at past info for this, the author released the PDF about a year after it was originally cancelled, and allowed for fans to print their own books. I guess at some point past that, the author printed his own copies as well, and offered them on Amazon($237 if your interested). LOL I guess it was good I never find out about those, as I would have for sure bought one, as this booked looked way cool back when it was first offered. Now it can be had for a much better price, and has some updated content as well.

https://www.kickstar...&term=punch out

#1563 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7735 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

And from the guys who brought us Vita Lounge magazine, as well as currently producing Nintendo Switch player magazine, comes The Unofficial amiibo Handbook. https://www.kickstar...ery&term=amiibo

#1564 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4234 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

And from the guys who brought us Vita Lounge magazine, as well as currently producing Nintendo Switch player magazine, comes The Unofficial amiibo Handbook. https://www.kickstar...ery&term=amiibo

Where's the Stretch Goal to add NFC chips to each page so I can continue to not buy Amiibo?

#1565 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4445 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2021 - 01:30 AM

15% off in-stock products at Read-Only Memory with the code ROMSALE - expires June 11.

In other news, this is a little old, but Viz is publishing Hideo Kojima's book The Creative Gene. It's a hardcover retailing for $22.99 (and going for cheaper at the usual places), and it comes out in October. Here's an excerpt from the introduction (via Destructoid).

#1566 AnonymousLurker  

AnonymousLurker

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:20 AM

If anyone is interested, Target has quite a few standard and deluxe edition art books (both video game and anime) that apply for the B2G1 promo they are running, such as the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Deluxe Edition ($46.49). If you have been wanting something, it might not be a bad idea to check if Target has it.

#1567 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1514 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

If anyone is interested, Target has quite a few standard and deluxe edition art books (both video game and anime) that apply for the B2G1 promo they are running, such as the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Deluxe Edition ($46.49). If you have been wanting something, it might not be a bad idea to check if Target has it.

My wallet hates you

#1568 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13515 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:39 PM

Just an FYI, Target is running a B2G1 free this week on books and movies.

Amazon will probably match at some point.

#1569 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11627 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:17 PM

Ugh dammit, of course this had to coincide with them giving me a "make 3 $40 purchases and get $15 back" on Circle offer as well.

I'm legit out of space on my bookshelf to put new books, but I keep buying them.....

#1570 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7735 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:02 PM

Ugh dammit, of course this had to coincide with them giving me a "make 3 $40 purchases and get $15 back" on Circle offer as well.

I'm legit out of space on my bookshelf to put new books, but I keep buying them.....

Bookshelf full, hell, mine are sprawled out on my office floor like high-rise towers of a major metropolitan city. I haven't even got to the bookshelf being full yet, and I'm still buying, so yeah, misery loves company I suppose. LOL

#1571 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11627 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

Bookshelf full, hell, mine are sprawled out on my office floor like high-rise towers of a major metropolitan city. I haven't even got to the bookshelf being full yet, and I'm still buying, so yeah, misery loves company I suppose. LOL

Luckily our place had an extra closet no one claimed with built in shelves that I made my current "Library" room and stuck a half sized bookshelf against the bare wall. But at some point (Or when I move to a new place) i just need to invest in a massive full wall sized bookshelf so I won't have to worry about it again.

Its mostly the oversized art/design books I love collecting and the weird sized ones like the Art of Disney and Pixar movie books that make storing them hard. I probably have like 30 books stacked in my room/clothing closet alone, had a really good week of hauls at Half Price Books that didnt help.

#1572 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4234 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:54 PM

Anyone know of any recent video game books that would have been added to Target for preorder (or even good recent releases)? Don't have much in my wishlist (surprisingly), though I may grab some omnibuses since those are $125-$150 each

#1573 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24334 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:08 PM

Anyone know of any recent video game books that would have been added to Target for preorder (or even good recent releases)? Don't have much in my wishlist (surprisingly), though I may grab some omnibuses since those are $125-$150 each

Wondering the same thing- I had Shantae preordered at Target from way back when but they canceled that order without giving me a reason. It's back now but not sure there's anything else I want... 

#1574 toska  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:18 PM

just order 3 and cancel 2

does that not work with books like it does with games?

#1575 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24334 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:08 PM

just order 3 and cancel 2

does that not work with books like it does with games?

Oh duh... I keep forgetting about that. Although the last time I did this was the Shantae order- and that order eventually got canceled before the book came out. Not sure if that was a fluke or what but I guess I'll give it a try. 

#1576 toska  

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

ive generally had bad experiences with book preorders from target

they kept trying to cancel my persona artbooks for like 2 months

#1577 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1514 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:06 AM

Some suggestions. My Amazon artbooks are almost always damaged, but had much better luck with Target

• Pac-man birth of an icon
  • The art of Halo Infinite
  • The art of Apex Legends
  • Final fantasy XIV Artbooks (Multiple)
  • Sonic the hedgehog Encyclo-Speed-La (Deluxe or Regular)
  • Assassins creed Atlas
  • Kingdom hearts character files
  • The art of street fighter - hardcover edition 
  • The art of Shantae
  • Nier Automata world guide Vol 1
  • Bioware: Stories and secrets from 25 years of game development 
  • Watch dogs legion: resistance report
  • The art of Far Cry 6
  • Udons’s art of capcom( vol 1,2,3)
  • Devil may cry 3142 Graphic arts hardcover
  • Final fantasy xv: The dawn of the future
  • Final fantasy xv official works( Regular & deluxe)
  • Final fantasy vii poster collection
  • Resident evil 7 : biohazard document file
  • The art of assassin’s Valhalla ( regular & deluxe)
  • The art of Samurai Showdown 
  • The art of Tekken: A complete visual history 
  • Marvel spider-man : miles morales the art of the game
  • The art of mass effect trilogy: expanded edition 
  • The art of crash bandicoot 4: it’s about time 
  • The art of darksiders genesis

#1578 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3468 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:06 PM

I've never ordered from Bitmap before, but had to pick up that JRPG book I heard about recently. Does anyone know how long shipping tends to take who's ordered from them in the past? And do books like that tend to ever receive discounts before selling out?

#1579 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4234 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

I've never ordered from Bitmap before, but had to pick up that JRPG book I heard about recently. Does anyone know how long shipping tends to take who's ordered from them in the past? And do books like that tend to ever receive discounts before selling out?

Shipping is a crap shoot lately, so hard to say. They ship out pretty quick (within a few days), but it's anyone's guess how long it'll take to get to you.

I've never seen discounts on their books.

#1580 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2921 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

I'm doing some downsizing and getting rid of some of the Geeks Line books. If anyone is interested message me.

#1581 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7735 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

I've gotten all their major releases over the last few years, and all have come DHL express, so normally 2-4 days(I'm in the US). I often get their posters, and they used to use rather thin tubes(have been improved in recent times), so I've had several arrived damaged. I've always contacted Sam directly, and replacements have been shipped the same way, DHL express within a few days. Their book packaging is insane(probably the best in the industry), and I've never had a book arrived damaged. And with their thicker postal tubes, haven't had any poster problems recently either.

A signature is always required, but if you set up a free DHL account, you can waive that online, and have them leave at your door(or backyard, etc). I always leave a note at my door, and in the instructions I state if they arrive and there is no note, DO NOT leave the package, as you have the wrong house. That has kept me from having packages left elsewhere, when the drive is daydreaming, so always "cover your ass". The guy on my route knows me from my notes, as one time a package arrived so quick, I didn't get to leave the note, and luckily I was home when he knocked, and he asked were my note was? LOL

#1582 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1485 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:30 PM

Apparently you can get for cheaper on book depository, FYI

#1583 elessar123  

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:36 PM

Don't they sell rejects with remainder marks? Or was that another place.

On second thought, it's $65 there, so probably not.

#1584 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3468 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:20 AM

Shipping is a crap shoot lately, so hard to say. They ship out pretty quick (within a few days), but it's anyone's guess how long it'll take to get to you.

I've never seen discounts on their books.

Decided to order since discounts don't sound likely, thanks.

I've gotten all their major releases over the last few years, and all have come DHL express, so normally 2-4 days(I'm in the US). I often get their posters, and they used to use rather thin tubes(have been improved in recent times), so I've had several arrived damaged. I've always contacted Sam directly, and replacements have been shipped the same way, DHL express within a few days. Their book packaging is insane(probably the best in the industry), and I've never had a book arrived damaged. And with their thicker postal tubes, haven't had any poster problems recently either.

A signature is always required, but if you set up a free DHL account, you can waive that online, and have them leave at your door(or backyard, etc). I always leave a note at my door, and in the instructions I state if they arrive and there is no note, DO NOT leave the package, as you have the wrong house. That has kept me from having packages left elsewhere, when the drive is daydreaming, so always "cover your ass". The guy on my route knows me from my notes, as one time a package arrived so quick, I didn't get to leave the note, and luckily I was home when he knocked, and he asked were my note was? LOL

Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't aware that they would require a signature.

Thanks, I had already ordered, but I'll keep that in mind next time. Not sure if they include digital there, so I guess even though I paid more there will be that bonus.

#1585 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13515 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:16 PM

Don't they sell rejects with remainder marks? Or was that another place.

On second thought, it's $65 there, so probably not.

It ended up being $56.66 shipped from Book Depository so I ordered it there.  Looks like quite an amazing book!

#1586 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4234 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2021 - 12:09 AM

Is that a new thing? I thought they only sold from their own online store in the past

#1587 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1485 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2021 - 02:01 PM

Is that a new thing? I thought they only sold from their own online store in the past

No idea, I came across it randomly where someone mentioned it either on a Twitter or reddit thread