Free year of playon for wii u

It is listed on DealNews, so it looks legit. I am surprised that they would be giving a free 1 year with all of the financial problems they went through.

PlayOn is a gret service well worth paying for. I use it for free Hulu on my X360 as well as an easy media server. Love it well worth buying if you have a lot of media or use Hulu frequently

What exactly is this? Third party software to run top of netflix, hulu, etc? Do you have a have a subscription with netflix or hulu? Or is playon giving you access to videos? Some clarity as to what this actually does would be nice.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']What exactly is this? Third party software to run top of netflix, hulu, etc? Do you have a have a subscription with netflix or hulu? Or is playon giving you access to videos? Some clarity as to what this actually does would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, can you google? And so demanding. This pretty much explains it:

http://www.playon.tv/playon

[quote name='Izod517']PlayOn is a gret service well worth paying for. I use it for free Hulu on my X360 as well as an easy media server. Love it well worth buying if you have a lot of media or use Hulu frequently[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it myself, but can't you do the same thing with Plex for free? I use Plex for other media and found PlayOn to be sluggish and problematic, although it's probably been updated quite a bit since I last used it. I know the Hulu channel on Plex shows up in my upnp shares, I just haven't attempted to watch it using my 360. It's worth checking out.

[quote name='Davivascaino']I downloaded and activated for premium. however, I can't have access too hboo go. what is going on?[/QUOTE]
the website says HBO Go and ESPN 3 require an active subscription

Basically, it looks like you install a media "server" on your pc, and the content streams off the web to the wiiU

It looks like there is a TON of free content on there as well. This week's episode of Big bang Theory is on there, for instance.

And you can watch media either on the tv, OR gamepad.

I'm wondering if we'll be able to watch a live new year's eve special on the wiiU with this?

(We've been unable to on the ps3 for the last 3 years in a row.)

Thanks to the OP on this!

[quote name='InFlames215']Seriously, can you google? And so demanding. This pretty much explains it:

http://www.playon.tv/playon[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as demanding. I was posting from my phone and was trying to keep it short and sweet.

I tried looking at it on my phone and really couldn't make too much sense of it. I wasn't sure if the normal subscription service items were "free" through using this, because that's honestly the only reason I'd use it (I like free stuff). After looking from my home computer you need to be subscribed for Netflix, Hulu, etc.. I already have a custom-built media center pc that I use to stream movies and shows to my TV so this really is of no use to me. I may download for the hell of it and see what "free" content they have if there really is anything...

Thanks for posting OP.

PlayOn can be used for many things... some people say its great, others say why would I pay 40$ year or whatever it is for the service.

Disable Windows Firewall otherwise you'll have an annoying time trying to get connected.. and you'll actually need accounts on Hulu and Netflix unless you've never done so before in which case you get that free month trial.

[quote name='murphyspub']can't seem to get a spoof to work in firefox with user agent switcher. Anyone have any luck?[/QUOTE]
No I couldn't figure it out, I download Chrome and it was all pretty straight forward. Afterwards you get an e-mail for download/set up.

Then I just uninstalled Chrome. Not my browser of choice.

[quote name='louiedog']I haven't tried it myself, but can't you do the same thing with Plex for free? I use Plex for other media and found PlayOn to be sluggish and problematic, although it's probably been updated quite a bit since I last used it. I know the Hulu channel on Plex shows up in my upnp shares, I just haven't attempted to watch it using my 360. It's worth checking out.[/QUOTE]
This exactly, Plex does everything PlayOn does only better and for free. I found streaming to be a PITA with playon on my Roku. It works perfectly with no lag with Plex. Although I did find I liked how playon handled Hulu. It was easier to navigate and worked pretty well. But I did try streaming a movie from pc to ps3 with plex and that didn't impress me at all.

Call me crazy but I REALLY don't get what it does. I tried reading around but it seems like it lets you watch internet videos on a console?

Am I even close?

away on semi vacation/visiting the folks
huzzah at opera mobile on android being so customisable in opera:config
was able to redeem using my tablet

Thanks OP! Got this up and running fine through my WiiU. Now not only that but I can finally watch HBOGo on my Roku box which I couldn't before because of DirecTV and my PS3!

If you don't have satillite or cable, its a easy way to watch media without hunting down and downloading it all the time.

I'm hoping we'll see some special event type programming available, even if there is a small cost. The online live events we really miss is the thanksgivings day parade, the New Years Eve ball drop, and the Superbowl.

Some things you really do want live, but other than those, we don't miss having cable at all.

[quote name='ericpol']This exactly, Plex does everything PlayOn does only better and for free. I found streaming to be a PITA with playon on my Roku. It works perfectly with no lag with Plex. Although I did find I liked how playon handled Hulu. It was easier to navigate and worked pretty well. But I did try streaming a movie from pc to ps3 with plex and that didn't impress me at all.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why I kept it around - I use it mostly for Hulu, and I had a ton of issues with some of the other free ones like ps3mediaserver

[quote name='*Deathblade2']any thoughts on playon?[/QUOTE]

I tried it on PS3.
There is no UI. You are straight up browsing folders through the XMB.
There is no telling if whatever show you are browsing for actually has full episodes or not until you actually open the folder.
Its slow to start, insanely slow to try to skip around on stream. I have basic internet speeds that do me just fine streaming most content on the web in HD to my computer. However when going through this service through the PC sent to my PS3, its way to slow to really be worth it. Especially if you are paying money for this. Video quality varies through which channel you pick, the load times for anything still seem to be pretty standard.

Perhaps if I paid for a faster internet speed it would set itself up for play faster and then it might be worth trying.

I suppose it could be worth it if you are really desperate to watch something on your tv with no cable box. But I think your best bet is to just buy whatever you want to watch on bluray/dvd or download it and just put it on your PS3 via external device for content that is good quality video and you can pause and jump around without having to wait 5 minutes for a video to buffer and load commercials.

[quote name='Izod517']I guess that's why I kept it around - I use it mostly for Hulu, and I had a ton of issues with some of the other free ones like ps3mediaserver[/QUOTE]

I run the advanced followup to ps3media server, universal media server, and DID notice some conflict between these last night.

UMS could no longer report stream speed, and was hitching streaming a 720p media file, when normally is can easily stream a 1080p file without issue.

Disabling this server resolved the issue.

(In all fairness though, running mulitple servers at the same time always causes issues. If I run samsung allshare at the same time as UMS, UMS will choke every time, and allshare playback will hitch until i shut down UMS.)

Its nice to have extra options available though.

[quote name='MaximusDM']I tried it on PS3.
There is no UI. You are straight up browsing folders through the XMB.
There is no telling if whatever show you are browsing for actually has full episodes or not until you actually open the folder.
Its slow to start, insanely slow to try to skip around on stream. I have basic internet speeds that do me just fine streaming most content on the web in HD to my computer. However when going through this service through the PC sent to my PS3, its way to slow to really be worth it. Especially if you are paying money for this. Video quality varies through which channel you pick, the load times for anything still seem to be pretty standard.

Perhaps if I paid for a faster internet speed it would set itself up for play faster and then it might be worth trying.

I suppose it could be worth it if you are really desperate to watch something on your tv with no cable box. But I think your best bet is to just buy whatever you want to watch on bluray/dvd or download it and just put it on your PS3 via external device for content that is good quality video and you can pause and jump around without having to wait 5 minutes for a video to buffer and load commercials.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

[quote name='jza1218']I use playon and love it. Well worth the money I spent on a lifetime licence.[/QUOTE]
You must mean the second lifetime license, since they discontinued the first version and stopped support for all of those with a lifetime license. Strangely, they called the "new" software with the "new" lifetime license required... well, they didn't change the name at all. Not even a 2.0. Huh. They just called it an upgrade and said old lifetime licenses would need a new license.

And they did that right after a big sale that was all over fw, sd, etc.

Piece of garbage company.

For people who don't understand what this does, I will help.

I have PlayOn and it works well.

What it does is gives you access to the same content you could access from your computer on whatever device you are using it on. So think of it like this, you don't have a hulu+ membership, so you can't watch hulu at all from your xbox, but using the playon media server, you can watch hulu on your TV just like you could from your computer. You won't have access to hulu+ content, just the exact same hulu content you can get from your computer. Same for Netflix, you won't be able to stream anything unless you have a membership. But you don't need this for Netflix since their app is already on the xbox and works well. PlayOn = watch things you could watch on your computer on your TV instead of hooking up your laptop to the HDMI every time.

[quote name='megma42']For people who don't understand what this does, I will help.

I have PlayOn and it works well.

What it does is gives you access to the same content you could access from your computer on whatever device you are using it on. So think of it like this, you don't have a hulu+ membership, so you can't watch hulu at all from your xbox, but using the playon media server, you can watch hulu on your TV just like you could from your computer. You won't have access to hulu+ content, just the exact same hulu content you can get from your computer. Same for Netflix, you won't be able to stream anything unless you have a membership. But you don't need this for Netflix since their app is already on the xbox and works well. PlayOn = watch things you could watch on your computer on your TV instead of hooking up your laptop to the HDMI every time.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for clarifying.

not great for those of us who dont get their Wii U til xmas. lol oh well

Edit: And if what u say is true... Then i can watch the Web only content on hulu but on my Wii U?!? I mean sure i think i can do it from PS3 or Xbo 360 but from an app it would look nicer no? This hulu/hulu+ garbage drives me nuts. Hulu+ shouldnt have commercials (like netflix) and its LAME how some stuff is on hulu's site but not on any hulu+ players. Dont get me started on TV shows only keeping the 5 most recent episodes. Kind of tough for me to get into a TV show if the first episode isnt available, as I refuse to watch shows out of order.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GrimmTrixX']not great for those of us who dont get their Wii U til xmas. lol oh well

Edit: And if what u say is true... Then i can watch the Web only content on hulu but on my Wii U?!? I mean sure i think i can do it from PS3 or Xbo 360 but from an app it would look nicer no? This hulu/hulu+ garbage drives me nuts. Hulu+ shouldnt have commercials (like netflix) and its LAME how some stuff is on hulu's site but not on any hulu+ players. Dont get me started on TV shows only keeping the 5 most recent episodes. Kind of tough for me to get into a TV show if the first episode isnt available, as I refuse to watch shows out of order.[/QUOTE]

I don't have hulu+, so I may be wrong, but I think if you have a hulu+ membership then all of the hulu+ content available on your computer would be available on your PlayOn device.

[quote name='limelight022']Not a deal. I bought a LIFETIME subscription for $40 when they had the sale going on, (which they do offer often.)[/QUOTE]

free service for a year is not a deal?

Tried it, works for me. The Wii U version is in the browser as it says, and is navigated through an iOS like interface. Watching The Colbert Report on it now. Seems to work well.

bread's done
Back