The General eBay Rant Thread

DNukem170

Banned
With all the eBay threads lately, I think it is a good idea to have a catch-all thread like for Thrift Stores and Yard Sales.

I listed a DVD in eBay's catalog last week. It had a pre-filled listing that I didn't change at all. Only a few hours left in the auction (with a bid!) and the listing gets cancelled because it is in the wrong category. -_-

^ Good idea to create this thread.

I absolutely hate the listing catagories and I don't know who the fuck creates the prefilled categories for games and media but some times it is absolutely awful (if it exists) and not to mention most of the information can be wrong.

I remember I was trying to sell NHL 13: Stanley Cup CE for Xbox 360 and they didn't have a category so I put it in the category for the vanilla 360 version only to find that a eBay bot had moved it to the NHL 11 category. This actually happens more then I'd realized and it is frustrating when you're trying to search for your own item to see its visibility and you can't find it only to realize it's been buried somewhere it doesn't belong.

Some good eBay news though is that starting next week USPS will be adding a tracking/delivery feature to first class international mail going to Canada so it should be safe shipping their again for basic mail.

[quote name='GBAstar']
Some good eBay news though is that starting next week USPS will be adding a tracking/delivery feature to first class international mail going to Canada so it should be safe shipping their again for basic mail.[/QUOTE]

I knock on wood every time I say this, but I've never had trouble shipping internationally, and I've sent stuff to some far out places. When I sold my old iPhone for example, I think I ended up selling it to someone in like Turkey or something. International bidders generally pay more than domestic ones, and it's enough of a difference that I'm willing to take the risk and hope that the majority of people are honest, and up to this point they have been.

Can I rant about amazon in here? I'm going to.
So I buy clock tower 3 listed in good condition, and the description specifically states it Has the case and manual. Well it comes in the mail today and not only is it beat to shit (no where near what could be considered "good" condition) its missing the fucking manual. What an asshole. I requested a return.
why would you straight up lie in your description? I can't imagine that works out in the sellers favor too often.

[quote name='KtMack23']Can I rant about amazon in here? I'm going to.
So I buy clock tower 3 listed in good condition, and the description specifically states it Has the case and manual. Well it comes in the mail today and not only is it beat to shit (no where near what could be considered "good" condition) its missing the fucking manual. What an asshole. I requested a return.
why would you straight up lie in your description? I can't imagine that works out in the sellers favor too often.[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm defending the buyer, but typically when you sell in such high volume, you tend to reuse the same descriptions over and over, even if they aren't accurate. I never do this, but I can sort of see how it would occur.

[quote name='spmahn']Not that I'm defending the buyer, but typically when you sell in such high volume, you tend to reuse the same descriptions over and over, even if they aren't accurate. I never do this, but I can sort of see how it would occur.[/QUOTE]

He isn't a "big" seller though. Bigred1924 sold 24 things last month, he's obviously just doing this on the side. I always try to list stuff as accurately as possible so I don't end up with someone buying something they don't want, but some people just don't care. Not to mention the guy shipped my game in a manilla envelope with no padding at all.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']To include free shipping or not to include free shipping? What is the norm?[/QUOTE]
If its a low dollar item with decent competition, I'll put a $2-3 shipping fee and a lower item price, usually gets more attention that way.

A higher dollar item I'll offer free shipping, since at that time a majority of my auctions are BIN anyways, and the free shipping makes buyers feel warm and cozy (or so I'd like to think).

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']If its a low dollar item with decent competition, I'll put a $2-3 shipping fee and a lower item price, usually gets more attention that way.

A higher dollar item I'll offer free shipping, since at that time a majority of my auctions are BIN anyways, and the free shipping makes buyers feel warm and cozy (or so I'd like to think).[/QUOTE]

I've done both, and never see any discernable difference at all. I see items that sell with no problem at $25 for $5 that won't sell at all at $30 with free shipping. I honestly think it's just a mental thing with buyers who see shipping as an added cost beyond the price of what they're buying, when you lump it all together I think people begin to perceive that they're just paying more for the item, even if that's not the case.

[quote name='spmahn']I've done both, and never see any discernable difference at all. I see items that sell with no problem at $25 for $5 that won't sell at all at $30 with free shipping. I honestly think it's just a mental thing with buyers who see shipping as an added cost beyond the price of what they're buying, when you lump it all together I think people begin to perceive that they're just paying more for the item, even if that's not the case.[/QUOTE]

In that situation, I would buy the $30/free shipping item, just because the eBay bucks are only calculated on the price of the item, not item plus shipping. I know this would only amount to a few cents, but that's how I look at similarly priced items. The actual mental aspect of seeing "free shipping" doesn't mean anything to me.

So I emailed a seller about an item that has three different editions, asking which one it is. He replies back and tells me. Great, it's the one I want. A few days pass and the auction ends - I win, and I pay within a day.

Shipping was supposed to be Priority Mail. I forgot about that and thought it was coming parcel post. So its been a week and no "Your item has shipped" email. Some sellers don't bother with that so I didn't think too much of it until the week had passed.

So then I email asking if the item shipped yet.

I get back a response of "Oh I didn't even realize the auction ended and it sold" and "My eBay alerts aren't working" followed by "I'm super busy working two jobs." And I'll add here that the item description said something about the seller just being a college kid who needs cash so the prices might not be the best on eBay, so he's already working sob stories into his auction descriptions.

Look, maybe I'm just being a dick - but I don't really care if you're working two jobs or if you're a poor starving college kid. Admit you fucked up, apologize, and send the damn thing already. Don't make bullshit excuses. To me, when you sell on eBay, you're held to the same quality standards as anyone, whether its some person selling random crap or a major company. You're the one choosing to sell, so meet those minimum standards of customer service. And I don't think those standards are too hard to meet. Reply back to emails within a reasonable period of time. Live up to the handling time you choose for your auction listings. Things like that.

Additionally, when someone pays you via PayPal like I did, you get an email saying your buyer has paid, ship the item. So is he claiming he doesn't get those emails either? Where did he think the money in his PayPal account came from? A magical fairy? And if for whatever reason he's not getting emails from eBay and PayPal, that's his responsibility to find out what's going on and fix it - though I suspect this guy is just bullshitting me.

If someone was in the hospital or died or things are hectic - I can understand that and I'm rarely ever in a rush to get my items I buy/win on eBay. Just don't bullshit me when you fall behind and fuck up sending out the item. I don't appreciate that.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']If its a low dollar item with decent competition, I'll put a $2-3 shipping fee and a lower item price, usually gets more attention that way.

A higher dollar item I'll offer free shipping, since at that time a majority of my auctions are BIN anyways, and the free shipping makes buyers feel warm and cozy (or so I'd like to think).[/QUOTE]

I take a very different approach to selling. I sell a lot of games and blu rays on ebay when I have no desire to play/watch them again. Typically, I do a no reserve 5 day auction with free shipping starting at $0.99. You would be surprised at how many items I sell for quite a bit more than I would have listed them with BIN. It is a gamble, but on average I feel like it pays off.

[quote name='aheineken']I take a very different approach to selling. I sell a lot of games and blu rays on ebay when I have no desire to play/watch them again. Typically, I do a no reserve 5 day auction with free shipping starting at $0.99. You would be surprised at how many items I sell for quite a bit more than I would have listed them with BIN. It is a gamble, but on average I feel like it pays off.[/QUOTE]

hah, this week for whatever reason Im not able to list items for free unless theyre listed as fixed price only. So I list a couple of unsold items for just the buyitnow they previously had and not the starting price, since Im not going to waste a dollar just for something not to sell. They all sell within a day. OK, no one even placed a bid when when they couldve started a lot cheaper before, and now that its only my max price, they all sell right away.

Like you said it all averages out.

I do often get games that are not as describered. "Very good" When it should be good. I don't have a buttplug about these things. I just let them go.

[quote name='Daniel09']I do often get games that are not as describered. "Very good" When it should be good. I don't have a buttplug about these things. I just let them go.[/QUOTE]

I hate when I get games that are not as describered.

[quote name='Daniel09']I do often get games that are not as describered. "Very good" When it should be good. I don't have a buttplug about these things. I just let them go.[/QUOTE]

To me if I'm buying used to play the difference between Very Good, Good and Acceptable in meaningless.

However if I'm paying extra for a new game I want the fucking thing to be new.

Furthermore if I'm buying a used game to collect because it isn't cost effective to buy new then I want everything that the listing says is included to arrive in my package.

[quote name='aheineken']I take a very different approach to selling. I sell a lot of games and blu rays on ebay when I have no desire to play/watch them again. Typically, I do a no reserve 5 day auction with free shipping starting at $0.99. You would be surprised at how many items I sell for quite a bit more than I would have listed them with BIN. It is a gamble, but on average I feel like it pays off.[/QUOTE]
I have yet to take the risk on the 0.99 starting free shipping deals, as I know when I'm buying, I usually end up getting the better price when I snipe an auction last minute that starts out this way. If the item is highly sought after I can understand this logic (build up interest / watches), but I find I get more from my items if I have a BIN price and a starting bid slightly lower than that BIN value.

There are people out there who don't like to bid and don't like to wait for auctions to end, and will go for the cheapest BIN price than look for the lowest bidding price, and I've found I've made more on common items that way. Plus you get the Paypal transfer immediately with BIN as opposed to regular auctions.

I have such a love/hate relationship with eBay itself.

When I first started selling a lot I had trouble keeping up with the shipping. My fault, I admit this. I sold about 30 games at the same time and was late shipping out 1/3 of them, so naturally my DSR for s/h time SUCKED. But like 4.6 sucked....

So, anyway...a year later I still have to wait for my items to get delivered before I get the paypal money. Despite the fact my lowest DSR is a 4.8 and despite having slow s/h at the beginning I have over 99% positive feedback, and my bad DSR ratings the past 6 months have 0% bad ratings...

It REALLY pissed me off when it happened because I sold a $300 phone, shipped it out and when I went to use my Paypal card it was declined. They didn't notify me they were withholding funds, just decided to do it.

And what REALLY REALLY pisses me off is USPS SUCKS!!!!....sometimes items just get stuck in random spots for days.....sometimes the mailman doesn't update the package as delivered!!!!!!. I sold a $150 phone earlier this month and it was never scanned when they delivered it so I had to wait 21 days for the money. SO ANNOYING.

And I do SO much to make sure my items are out on time now, and it doesn't matter. It takes forever to get the DSR back to normal, especially when you aren't selling in mass amounts and some buyers refuse to leave feedback.

[quote name='GBAstar']Today I got a game mailed in printer paper and scotch tape.

Take some pride in what you do......[/QUOTE]

I got a DVD mailed in a wrapped plastic bag. Though that was Half.com...

I hate having an auction and buyers win and dont pay. I always will give them a chance and ask if they plan on paying. So far in January alone ive had this happened 9 times. Each time the person was rude and told me they were bidding on the same item in someones elses auction and got it cheaper. Ugh. All were users under 50 feedback. I hate that ebay took away the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback!

[quote name='Kevbo887']I hate having an auction and buyers win and dont pay. I always will give them a chance and ask if they plan on paying. So far in January alone ive had this happened 9 times. Each time the person was rude and told me they were bidding on the same item in someones elses auction and got it cheaper. Ugh. All were users under 50 feedback. I hate that ebay took away the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback![/QUOTE]

What was their reasoning for that?

Ebay should require 10% non refundable deposit that would be automatically withdrawn once you won an auction. But ebay is run by shitstains. They probably lose more money by allowing deadbeats stay than by just giving them the boot.

[quote name='Kevbo887']I hate having an auction and buyers win and dont pay. I always will give them a chance and ask if they plan on paying. So far in January alone ive had this happened 9 times. Each time the person was rude and told me they were bidding on the same item in someones elses auction and got it cheaper. Ugh. All were users under 50 feedback. I hate that ebay took away the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback![/QUOTE]

I dont even get that much. They win the auction and then drop off the face of the earth. Don't respond to invoices, ignore messages, and opening a case does nothing until I close it. Had 2 auctions recently that were never paid, had cases closed and final value fees credited, and then relisted. Barely got half the amount next auctions.

[quote name='spmahn']Does eBay still give out non paying bidder strikes and eventually boot you if you get too many?[/QUOTE]

They do give out strikes if the non-payment case is closed, but those aren't publicly seen. And from a seller's perspective, you can only have the system exclude buyers who have two non-payments in the past month - so it does little to weed out the non-payers.

I don't know how many strikes over what period of time it takes for eBay to ban someone though.

I hate selling stuff for "Parts only" and "Needs Repair" I sell the item, mail it and about a week later get a request for a return. Saying the item doesn't work or work properly smh.

Or people who blindly bid without intention of paying. An about 2 weeks later respond with "I don't want it anymore" lord!!!!

I don't sell on eBay often. A buyer called me a "dickhead" and went off on me in eBay messages because I put Signature Confirmation on his $225 CD player, even though I put a bolded statement at the very top of the item description and included a sub-title saying that I would do so. But, he left me positive feedback in the end and he got a spot in my blocked buyers list.

[quote name='parKer']I don't sell on eBay often. A buyer called me a "dickhead" and went off on me in eBay messages because I put Signature Confirmation on his $225 CD player, even though I put a bolded statement at the very top of the item description and included a sub-title saying that I would do so. But, he left me positive feedback in the end and he got a spot in my blocked buyers list.[/QUOTE]

I would have never done that, I would have thanked you!

[quote name='skiizim']I would have never done that, I would have thanked you![/QUOTE]

Aw. ;)

I just apologized and kept quiet. He has an elderly mother who can't answer the door and he was pissed that he might miss the delivery. He ended up getting it at the PO. It was just upsetting how angry he got at me when I had "free Signature Confirmation" in 2 different places.

"Sorry, I do not ship outside of the USA."
eBay message: hi i am quite interesting at your CD player. How much for ship Latvia (Europe)? i pay paypal. Hope to getting possitive response-------------

i really hate it when seller's ship boxed gameboy games in a.. bubble mailer.

had one seller even ship me a brand new sealed gameboy game in a mailer a few weeks ago. luckily, it somehow arrived in the same minty shape the picture showed. i didn't get so lucky a few days ago though when a seller decided to put three boxed ds games around a pokemon sapphire box (still left in box position rather than taken apart and flattened) and throw it in a fucking bubble mailer. sapphire arrived crushed and one of the sides has about an inch long rip through the box.

Well heres a new one for me. Paypal multi order shipping has been glitching out on me lately. Well I had around 10 things to send out today. All addresses were correct just to let it be known. But, one item (which it wouldnt let me change, and was a return) would only show up under another item that was delivered yesterday. I know it sounds weird but heres the rest.

Guy emails me this morning saying his RE6 never arrived yesterday like it said it was supposed to. He goes on to tell me that he opened up an investigation this morning at 730 with the post office. He also went down there and talked to his actual mailman and the mailman said he never saw the package.

Well first off, the post office doesnt open their doors till 830. Second, your actual mail man is not working the front desk. Third, you go on and tell me that you didnt check your tracking number until this morning when the glitch happened and you got another email saying your product was marked as shipped (which I did at 845 am est.) So then how exactly did you know it was delivered yesterday?

So basically the kid is trying to get his copy of RE6 for free. So annoying. I mean, the tracking number says its delivered. I keep my paypal shipping receipts, and the addresses both match up to what his paypal addy is. So either one of two things is happening. The kid is a scumbag trying to take advantage of the fact that a second shipping number got uploaded by mistake. Or his mailman delivered it to the wrong house.

Either way ill probably get screwed because ebay sucks more than a toothless prostitute on a busy friday night. Luckily for me, I have one last item up for buy it now, and then im never selling on ebay again. So sick of these cumguzzlingguttersluts that ruin ebay.

His mailman couldn't have delivered it to the wrong house because the mailman already said he never saw the package. Dun dun duuuuun.

Not only does your buyer want a free game, it's sounding like he's going to ask for a refund. Be sure to post his eBay ID in CAG's big blocked bidders list.

Well I called him out on it in another email. I got an email back back an hour later and oh my goodness a late christmas miracle occurred. He miraculously found his delivered package!!

[quote name='Kevbo887']

Either way ill probably get screwed because ebay sucks more than a toothless prostitute on a busy friday night. [/QUOTE]

:rofl::applause: This made me lose it

Just sold a CPU processor for around $200.

Winning bidder emails me 10 minutes later.

"Sorry bro, I only have $90 in my bank account. Can you give me a week?"

:fridge:

[quote name='Doomtime']Just sold a CPU processor for around $200.

:fridge:[/QUOTE]

Thats when i send out a second chance offer!!

[quote name='Doomtime']Just sold a CPU processor for around $200.

:fridge:[/QUOTE]

Hah, at least he didnt use buy it now, and then email right after and say, hey will you take $10 less than the starting bid. And of course he didnt reply to the cancel auction request and I had to wait the 10 days or so, to be able to cancel it.

Thats why now, I always use must pay instantly with buy it now.

Ah ebay.

I hate buying games described as mint only to look like they were used as a frisbie for a dog. I mean seriously, what the heck do people do to their games? EVERY disc game I have ever bought new still looks that way.

I also hate hate hate non paying bidders. Just had one last week tell me he didn't realize he won my auction, so he bid on others and still lost. So then he wants to buy my item now since he couldn't get it cheaper.

Another buyer won a PS3 Dualshock controller I was selling to tell me his kid son bought it with his account. So he didn't want to buy the controller. I thanked him for wasting my time and he promptly replied that he was going to beat his son and tell him that the hits were courtesy of me. Seriously. And of course a few days later he buys another dual shock for cheaper and it seems like he paid that guy.

I also get really nervous when people with 0 feedback or little feedback win my auctions. I don't want someone to claim the game doesn't work or isn't in the condition stated only to send me back a defective copy.

I'm convinced that seller just lie about the condition of their games in order to get them to sell quickly/stand out. I just bought a cart-only DS game (I knew it was cart only but didn't care since it's too hard to find complete) but it was described to be in excellent condition. I received it and the cart is very worn - everything from the label to the contacts and there's even initials written on the damn thing.

I much prefer buying games in person. If the condition is acceptable and beat-up, LIST IT AS SUCH. Don't lie and say it's "like-new" if it looks like shit. Just because it plays doesn't mean it's in good shape.

[quote name='Rozz']I'm convinced that seller just lie about the condition of their games in order to get them to sell quickly/stand out. I just bought a cart-only DS game (I knew it was cart only but didn't care since it's too hard to find complete) but it was described to be in excellent condition. I received it and the cart is very worn - everything from the label to the contacts and there's even initials written on the damn thing.

I much prefer buying games in person. If the condition is acceptable and beat-up, LIST IT AS SUCH. Don't lie and say it's "like-new" if it looks like shit. Just because it plays doesn't mean it's in good shape.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Even if a game I am selling has minor scuffs, or even one tiny small scratch I note it and I list it as good condition. Not very good or like new.

I bought mario kart 64 a few months ago on the bay. Stock pick, description said was verygood.Also listed as verygood. What I get is a beat to shit marker everywhere cart. fucken should have been acceptable. Dude wasn't a noob either, he had over 1000 feedback.

[quote name='wugenius']Exactly. Even if a game I am selling has minor scuffs, or even one tiny small scratch I note it and I list it as good condition. Not very good or like new.[/QUOTE]

Got the same fear, works best with buy it nows but I say in the description NOBODY UNDER +10 positive feedback without contacting me first. When they buy, I message them and more then half dont respond, refund and cancel transaction "buyer unresponsive". If they do respond, they usually are polite and I made them agree they read the description and know what they are getting :p

Whenever i list always 4-5 of the bidders have 0 feedback im not sure what it's all about. Surely there cannot be so many new members always. I am sure some people just like bidding they probably don't even have money

Buyer complained that the Beyblade DS game I sold her was "not as described". She said she was expecting the 3DS version -- which does not exist! My listing title was something like "Beyblade Nintendo DS DSi 3DS" because it will play with any of those consoles. A lot of sellers are doing this too, perhaps to enhance the chance of showing up in searches.

My listing also had multiple pics of the actual item and the description stating that it was a DS version.

I told her that the 3DS version she was expecting DOES NOT exist. There's no Beyblade for 3DS yet. I asked her if she even looked at the pics and read the description carefully. She wouldn't answer and just kept on going about how disappointed she was.

I tried doing a quick google on the buyer and it turns out to be an old lady (in her 80s). I think it's a grandma trying to buy a game for her grandkid, so she probably doesn't even have an idea on what she was actually buying.

I just refunded her money after asking her to ship me back the item (despite my listing stating "no returns"). Small price to pay than risking my 100% power seller feedback getting tainted.

[quote name='TiKi2']I bought mario kart 64 a few months ago on the bay. Stock pick, description said was verygood.Also listed as verygood. What I get is a beat to shit marker everywhere cart. fucken should have been acceptable. Dude wasn't a noob either, he had over 1000 feedback.[/QUOTE]

I've had a similar situation but with stock photos and the descriptions being "like-new". The seller had a ton of feedback and seemed pretty legit but that is where it stopped but what I received was far from what was described or pictured. I rarely leave negative feedback but this guy got 5 and one neutral from me, to say the least he opened my eyes more on eBay.

I absolutely cringe when I get messages like these from international buyers:

Hello...so looks like the parcel may be delivered but the customs department is asking for custom duties. Around $60. Was this amount not paid by you when you sent the parcel? Why do I have to pay this amount again? Please let me know soon.

This is the same buyer who wanted to know why he item wasn't delivered 3 days after he ordered it.

bread's done
Back