Vita - Killzone: Mercenary - Out Now - Vita's New Flagship FPS

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Killzone: Mercenary is scheduled for a September 17, 2013 release in North America. We also have a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOV_rVrnezE

Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

When a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going to increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.

Comprised of nine single-player missions — each nearly an hour in length— Killzone: Mercenary delivers a full Killzone experience in a portable package. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also boasts a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps tailored for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

In keeping with the soldier-for-hire theme, every action in Killzone: Mercenary is rewarded. The better you perform, the higher your payout – not just in the single-player campaign, but also in the multiplayer mode. The wages you collect are deposited into a single bank account, so the money you earn in the campaign missions can also be used to buy gear and weapons for multiplayer matches, and vice versa.

Killzone: Mercenary makes full use of PlayStation Vita’s considerable input and graphics capabilities. It enhances the familiar dual-stick FPS control scheme with touch controls for actions such as brutal melee, and with tilt controls for accurate sniper aiming. The game even uses the powerful Killzone 3 engine to bring its massive environments and impressive set pieces to life. But don’t just take our word for it — watch the trailer above, and check out the new screens in this post.

Stay tuned to Killzone.com and PlayStation.Blog, because we’ll have a behind-the-scenes interview with game director Piers Jackson soon.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/30/killzone-mercenary-hits-ps-vita-september-17th-new-trailer-and-screens/

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, am impressed. I understand its just marketing fluff at this point but I'll keep my hopes up.

I really want the Vita to succeed.

It won't take much for this game to be better than COD and Resistance. I don't have high hopes though. At minimum, I hope they at least improve the sound quality to these FPS Vita games.

It looks good. I just hope it runs smooth. On such a small screen (all things considered, it's still an FPS on a 5" screen) any lag/screen-tearing will be terrible. That said...it looks amazing. You could see in the trailer that some of the explosion animations were rough/low-res, which is fine. Considering a September release, this is shaping up quite well. I just wish they could get 8 vs 8 working on the Vita, but I assume they are taking into account slow wifi connections.

I'm interested. With how shitty COD:BOD was, it's not that hard for K:M to impress. That said, it actually does look really good, so long as the controls are right.

i didn't get one, s throwing it out there. if anyone doesn't want theirs, shoot me a PM

*edit Got one

Here's hoping it turns out great. God knows that the Vita could use a great FPS.

Hope I get one too, but Ive got the Beta code from Home. Please share any info about the Beta if you tried it out.

Just got the email with invitation to Beta :D How unlucky I have Vita with me but its out of juice :( I'll share my impression soon too.

I'd be curious to know if aiming accurately with the right stick is as nearly impossible as it is in Uncharted. That's the only game I've got that uses the right stick for aiming and I sure can't aim well with it.

I'd love to let everyone know how the beta is except I can't connect to anything. I've tried to contact guerrilla through the beta forums but I can't get on that either.

1st impression is truly positive, aiming and control is overall great, no frame-drop, encountered some lags but wasnt big deal at all. I didnt have any problem with connection, loading is fast just longer time to commence battle.

The videos I'm seeing for this look amazing. Not just the graphics either, the gameplay looks solid. While 4v4 is a bit disappointing, the map sizes seem perfect (so far). Definitely looking forward to this!

The videos I'm seeing for this look amazing. Not just the graphics either, the gameplay looks solid. While 4v4 is a bit disappointing, the map sizes seem perfect (so far). Definitely looking forward to this!
I wish it was 4x4x4 or 6x6 instead. Since the max players we have seen in a multiplayer match in Vita games have been 8, does anyone think that they will be able to increase this number in future games without making the graphics suffer in the future?

I can barely aim with the right analog stick in Uncharted. It's a jittery mess. An online FPS on Vita sounds like it would just be painful. Those tiny analog sticks... I guess they work well for some people?

Reminds me of how terrible I was at KZ2 after purchasing PS3, never played on a controller before I didnt get how it works, always be in the bottom of score-table. But after a month of playing, adjusting and patient, I mostly finished in top 5 high scores. Use the motion control if your aim is terrible, Practice gets you better.

Been really enjoying it, took me about two games to get the hang of it. Then after some refining, I can average 40-18 a game. Although, I hate how there is no host migration when the host rage quits. No xp or anything when it happens =/. Another issue I have is the spawning. Its happened more than enough times where I spawned next to an enemy. Other than that, its been really smooth. :)

I played three matches last night and all three dropped when the host quit/left. Unless they change that and add proper host migration, I won't be picking this up.

That said, the multiplayer is actually pretty fun. Controls are good, aiming and firing are solid, really impressed to be honest. BUT, I'm not going to have my time wasted (no points/money) with games dropping because the host ragequits.

Downloaded the beta on a whim last night and despite not usually getting into shooters, particularly competitive shooters, I'm having a blast with this game.  I love the rotation of game modes, is that just a feature for the beta or will it be in the full game as well?

It's part of full game as well, I just hope that they can change the modes to be more variety, but I doubt that since the game is coming in next month. And the peer-to-peer hosting is bullshit, I IRC I was on streak of 7 kills then "your connection has been lost" I was speechless.

It's part of full game as well, I just hope that they can change the modes to be more variety, but I doubt that since the game is coming in next month. And the peer-to-peer hosting is bullshit, I IRC I was on streak of 7 kills then "your connection has been lost" I was speechless.
Ditto. It completely took me out of the game, I actually uninstalled the game after that happened for the third time. Instant turn off.

Total drag about the p2p, the multiplayer plays awesome though. I generally have no love for the fps, but I just finished playing 4 full cycles and enjoyed it very much. My k/d is embarrassing, no surprise.

Played the beta for the first time last night. Overall, loved it. I played it more to try the FPS controls, and it does work very well, I'm glad for that.

Only played one match, got three streaks, ended with a 24-17 ratio, so was happy. I'll be buying it day one.

I was the host during my match, so maybe that had a lot to do that my mp experience was very smooth. I never understood how to hack the modules, so I stopped.

Also, I have an extra beta code if anyone wants it. I got the beta through my Plus subscription, so its unused. PM me. But please, no lurkers. If you dont post on CAG, dont PM me; I like to share codes to "regular" CAGs who at least post/have activity.

It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what to do for the hacking, but eventually I figured out you need to see what "piece" is in the center, find that same pattern on the left or right, tap it, then tap the center pattern and it should match up. You need to do this within the time limit (or before getting shot).

Exactly when I first played hacking round, I didn't get a crap what to do, I was keep thinking oh there are missing pieces I need to fill it then didn't work :) then I was keeping matching these white pieces instead of these black. Now it's all smooth :) But I really hate it when my teammates don't get what to do in Interrogation round, like I immobile an enemy, instead of going closer and knife him, they just spray and pray. About rage quitting, shit it really happens a lot.

not sure how beta works but do we keep what we have unlocked in beta or do you go back to blank slate once you purchase the retail copy?

Well it's Beta not demo so start from scratch. It doesn't matter anyway since Ive started from scratch like this 3x, when I was in closed Beta testing, after the 1st patch I lost all money and weps and now this opened Beta. I don't mind starting for 4th time though :)

Even with the description above, I still didn't get how to do the hacking. The piece in the middle doesn't seem to match up with the pieces on the side. Sometimes I get lucky and find the "match" but it still didn't make any sense to me. They don't seem to match nor to combine to form the center shape. Please explain SLOWLY. LOL. :)

Here is how hacking works, from neogaf post.
emytageg.jpg

OOOOOHHHHH! I thought you had to pick one from left and one from right! I didn't realize you could pick two from the same side! :)

This game is going to have a day one 1.1GB patch.
Wow, that's ridiculous...I think i'm going to hold off on this game. The beta turned me off with the frequent host drops. And that large of a patch...before release? No thanks. It's unfortunate because the shooter aspect was actually really good.

bread's done
Back