Silent Hll HD Collection PS3 $18.99 Newegg @ Ebay FS

360 was also the one to have the least amount of problems compared to PS3 prior to the patch, though it doesn't matter because Silent Hill: HD on either console sucks balls.

^This is true, before the patch the 360 version was actually in much better shape than the PS3 version. However the consensus seems to be just avoid this collection, or if you do pick it up, prepare for tech problems. And if you are a Silent Hill aficionado, stay far away. Most big SH2 and SH3 fans seems to say that this collection really butchered those games.

I am a huge Silent Hill fan and I intended to pick this up. But after all the tech issues, i would say stay far away. If you have a decent PC you can get the game looking much better on PCSX2 emulator. You need to have the original disc of course. There are also widescreen patches if you check this site.

http://pcsx2.net/config-guide/official-english-pcsx2-configuration-guide.html.

Best way to play these games in HD, including SH4.

[quote name='exaznkid']so does the patch improve anything?[/QUOTE]

The patch makes the game playable. It fixes framerate issues among other things.

I've never played these games but have always wanted to. I don't really give a shit about optimal performance or best visual performance or any of that as long as the game is playable and fun.

With that said, is this purchase worth it for me then?

^I was in the exact same situation as you, and picked it up myself for about this price a while ago. I haven't played much of it yet, but did do quite a bit of research as to what the patch did. Both games should be very playable at this point. When it first released, the framerate was so bad on SH3 it was actually unplayable for a lot of people.

Here's some people's impressions of the game post patch if you want to check them out:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/63377681

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/65357363

[quote name='tylerh1701']^I was in the exact same situation as you, and picked it up myself for about this price a while ago. I haven't played much of it yet, but did do quite a bit of research as to what the patch did. Both games should be very playable at this point. When it first released, the framerate was so bad on SH3 it was actually unplayable for a lot of people.

Here's some people's impressions of the game post patch if you want to check them out:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/63377681

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/65357363[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks, I'll put an order in.

Probably worth it if you haven't played the games before and don't feel like tracking down the PS2 versions, supposedly post-patch PS3 version is decent.

If you're a purist a lot of random stuff is different from the PS2 versions (Music, sound effects, graphical effects, cutscenes etc.), though I think that stems from the games being ported from beta sources rather than the final games.

its weird i am the only one who never had problems with it?i completed silent hill 2 and got platinum on silent hill 3 and it only froze about 2 times and was an awesome game.

[quote name='rioskenny']its weird i am the only one who never had problems with it?i completed silent hill 2 and got platinum on silent hill 3 and it only froze about 2 times and was an awesome game.[/QUOTE]
From what I understand the ps3 version was patched but the 360 one has had no support.

[quote name='rioskenny']its weird i am the only one who never had problems with it?i completed silent hill 2 and got platinum on silent hill 3 and it only froze about 2 times and was an awesome game.[/QUOTE]
Supposedly, SH2 has less problems than SH3.

I was interested in this (I haven't played any of the silent hill games) until I found out that the first game isn't even in there.

How is this a collection when it's missing the first game? That seems strange to me, am I missing something?

[quote name='Glomerate']I was interested in this (I haven't played any of the silent hill games) until I found out that the first game isn't even in there.

How is this a collection when it's missing the first game? That seems strange to me, am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

SH1 was a PS One game. It would take a LOOOOOT more work to make a HD version of it that didn't look like total ass. And as for 2: someone mentioned buying the PS2 version. Don't. Get the Xbox version. It had additional content and was all around better. It was actually the first Xbox game I ever bought.

[quote name='mietha']SH1 was a PS One game. It would take a LOOOOOT more work to make a HD version of it that didn't look like total ass. And as for 2: someone mentioned buying the PS2 version. Don't. Get the Xbox version. It had additional content and was all around better. It was actually the first Xbox game I ever bought.[/QUOTE]

PS2 GH has that additional content.

[quote name='mietha']SH1 was a PS One game. It would take a LOOOOOT more work to make a HD version of it that didn't look like total ass. And as for 2: someone mentioned buying the PS2 version. Don't. Get the Xbox version. It had additional content and was all around better. It was actually the first Xbox game I ever bought.[/QUOTE]

Huh, just seems like, even if it wasn't updated for HD, the game itself could've been included.

I have the originals on Ps2 and this, the originals run great, while the HD collection versions get choppy, especially when you are outside. They do look better obviously, but i still prefer the originals because the games were meant to look gritty and grotesque, and the HD takes some of that away. They are playable though for those that don't care, and it is probably cheaper than finding copies of the old versions.

I just finished this game and it was pretty fucking bad
sh 2 was way better than sh3
but overall this shit is pretty shitty

basically konami outsourced this project to hijinx studios.
However konami made a little mistake.
They sent the alpha/test code for both games...

so, on xbox 360 your essentially buying alpha builds of 10 year old games.

SH3 constantly freezes
and whenever you use the machine gun, framrate drops to 5-10 fps and sound cuts out.
numerous lighting issues and cutscenes look fucked up
the hd looks good though
and I much prefer the new voice overs

[quote name='Glomerate']I was interested in this (I haven't played any of the silent hill games) until I found out that the first game isn't even in there.

How is this a collection when it's missing the first game? That seems strange to me, am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Hitman doesn't have the original game either (PC exclusive), nor does Metal Gear HD Collection. I do think maybe they should have given a voucher on PS3 for the PSOne classic, but they didn't do it with Metal Gear so it wasn't expected here either.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']I just finished this game and it was pretty fucking bad
sh 2 was way better than sh3
but overall this shit is pretty shitty

basically konami outsourced this project to hijinx studios.
However konami made a little mistake.
They sent the alpha/test code for both games...

so, on xbox 360 your essentially buying alpha builds of 10 year old games.

SH3 constantly freezes
and whenever you use the machine gun, framrate drops to 5-10 fps and sound cuts out.
numerous lighting issues and cutscenes look fucked up
the hd looks good though
and I much prefer the new voice overs[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the beta code issue was a mistake, but rather a deliberate cash-in maneuver. The (recently let go) producer of the franchise mentioned them working with unfinished code months before the release was delayed. Konami just hired the cheapest in-house developer that wasn't busy. They gave them what was available instead of waiting or hiring more capable folks like they did by getting Bluepoint for the Metal Gear Collection.

Thanks OP, been waiting for this to drop under $20. I already own the originals on PS2, (also have the PS2 SH2 GH version) but I've been far too curious to not check this collection out. I'm prepared to dislike it, but now I won't feel ripped off.

Well, the first game is available on psn for the usual ps1 classic price, so it's easily available (but a voucher would have been nice). The real exclusion is a HD port of Silent Hill 4. They left it out because the game was pretty divisive among fans, but, personally, it's one of my favorite Silent Hill games. I was hoping for a second HD collection with SH4, Origins, and Shattered Memories, but the fan backlash against this one probably killed any hope of them touching the SH vaults again.

But for what it is, I still like the HD collection. I'm apparently in the minority, but I've been a huge SH fan since the original on ps1, and I really enjoyed playing through the games again in HD with the updated textures and new voices and like what they did with it for the most part. I actually finished it pre-patch and had a blast (SH2 played almost perfectly for me except for a few bits of isolated slowdown...but SH3 had a lot of crazy slowdown and voice sync issues), and the performance and fog textures are a lot better post-patch. I'd say it's definitely worth picking up at this price.

lol. Thanks for the video link. Thas was hilarious. Think I'll pass on this collection since they were so poorly ported and look for the original ps2 versions.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I've never played these games but have always wanted to. I don't really give a shit about optimal performance or best visual performance or any of that as long as the game is playable and fun.

With that said, is this purchase worth it for me then?[/QUOTE]
Not fun cause its full of misc issues. I am in the same boat but at least i tried at friends and saved $. $10 will bite.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Not fun cause its full of misc issues. I am in the same boat but at least i tried at friends and saved $. $10 will bite.[/QUOTE]

The slowdown issues are the only ones that really mar the gameplay, and those are a lot better post-patch (along with better fog and other fixes). It's really a solid game as long as you don't care about a little difference here and there (and even the new voiceovers are good and, objectively, maybe even better than the originals).

A lot of the issues people are complaining about are fandom at work. There were 30 page threads on messageboards of people outraged over a wonky water texture that you only see for 3 minutes and is obscured by fog most of that time.

Not that everything's perfect. It obviously shouldn't have been knowingly released in the condition it was in performance-wise. And there are some questionable design choices (like the fade in between cutscenes or door opening scenes that led to a backlash when people thought one scene was censored). Overall, though, it was never "unplayable" as some people claimed...and it's pretty solid post-patch and definitely worth grabbing, especially if you've never played them before.

[quote name='MR_E']The slowdown issues are the only ones that really mar the gameplay, and those are a lot better post-patch (along with better fog and other fixes). It's really a solid game as long as you don't care about a little difference here and there (and even the new voiceovers are good and, objectively, maybe even better than the originals).

A lot of the issues people are complaining about are fandom at work. There were 30 page threads on messageboards of people outraged over a wonky water texture that you only see for 3 minutes and is obscured by fog most of that time.

Not that everything's perfect. It obviously shouldn't have been knowingly released in the condition it was in performance-wise. And there are some questionable design choices (like the fade in between cutscenes or door opening scenes that led to a backlash when people thought one scene was censored). Overall, though, it was never "unplayable" as some people claimed...and it's pretty solid post-patch and definitely worth grabbing, especially if you've never played them before.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured it was, just like how the PS3 version of Bayonetta is "unplayable." Thanks.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']That's what I figured it was, just like how the PS3 version of Bayonetta is "unplayable." Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ya, pretty much. I mean, pre-patch, SH2 played pretty much perfectly for me save for a bit of slowdown in a few short outdoor areas. SH3 was another story, with a lot of inexplicable framerate dips/slowdown (including an area or two where turning on your flashlight would slow the game to like half speed). It was definitely annoying here and there, but I still finished both games pre-patch and enjoyed them (and I'm a long-time fan of the series and have played them on the ps2).

Anyway, the patch largely addressed those performance issues. It's maybe not 100%, but it's close enough that you should be good to go now if you pick it up.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']That's what I figured it was, just like how the PS3 version of Bayonetta is "unplayable." Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Where did you get this info? There's no doubt it's better on X360 but I managed to play both version and the PS3 with the patch is completely playable.

[quote name='zzamaro']Where did you get this info? There's no doubt it's better on X360 but I managed to play both version and the PS3 with the patch is completely playable.[/QUOTE]

He was being sarcastic. That's why the "unplayable" is in quotes. He was just comparing this situation to the people calling Bayonetta unplayable when it wasn't.

[quote name='MR_E']He was being sarcastic. That's why the "unplayable" is in quotes. He was just comparing this situation to the people calling Bayonetta unplayable when it wasn't.[/QUOTE]

I don't personally use it, but most of the time in this form of media the term isn't meant to be taken literally. It's just a different way of saying "this is frustrating, I can't play anymore" but generally because performance or aesthetics or something along those lines isn't up to their standards.

In regards to sports, yes, it literally means something can't be played. With video games...it's a slang statement spread by harsh reviewers and posters on forums.

This is a poor port of 2 great games.

I bought one, though, because it is somewhat becoming rare in my area. I've been to 2 Fry's, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, 2 Toys R Us, and none of them had one.

I felt less guilty buying this because I sold SH2 and 3 long ago for around $35 each. :)

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']This is a poor port of 2 great games.

I bought one, though, because it is somewhat becoming rare in my area. I've been to 2 Fry's, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, 2 Toys R Us, and none of them had one.

I felt less guilty buying this because I sold SH2 and 3 long ago for around $35 each. :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's a poor Port. I've played the games years ago, and picking this up I hadn't noticed any glaring differences from when I played years ago. Ive heard some bad things but have experienced none of them. If someone is really going to compare their ps2 copies to these ports, then why did you get a port of it on ps3? Lol.

This collection is just fine after the patches... on PS3. Seriously, there's hardly any differences now. Only differences I see is lack of grain (I believe you could turn this off in the original games) and SH3 doesn't have the original dub.

I even did a comparison between the original games and the fully patched PS3 version. I want this collection, sad I missed it at this price.

[quote name='Buuhan1']This collection is just fine after the patches... on PS3. Seriously, there's hardly any differences now. Only differences I see is lack of grain (I believe you could turn this off in the original games) and SH3 doesn't have the original dub.

I even did a comparison between the original games and the fully patched PS3 version. I want this collection, sad I missed it at this price.[/QUOTE]

Yea In my humble opinion its one of the better HD collections. Its not perfect at all, but its really nice. The box and disc/manual artwork is really nice, nothing tacky like the usual, the layout and menus are nice. And having Silent Hill 2 & 3 in HD is just great. Just as good as MGS2 and 3 imo. All it was missing is a download voucher for Silent Hill 1 on the PSN just for the heck of it, then it would have rounded out the package nicely.

It was mentioned that the 360 version didn't have a patch because it was already better than the pre-patched ps3 version. So is it correct that the post-patched ps3 version is now clearly superior to the 360 version, and almost equivalent to the original ps2 versions? I thought that one of those video reviews said the ps3 version is still clearly inferior to the originals, even after the patching, because it is based on beta code.

bread's done
Back