Family Plan Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashane

CAG Veteran
Think it really needs its own thread, especially since Microsoft is doing absolutely horrible at advertising what should be its biggest selling point.

"It’s a “family” affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details, but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area."

/Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

Ya know, part of me wonders if this will be their justification for not having cheaper games (ala Steam) even with the DRM. They pretty much spell out for you that you can do group shares with your games. But really, you can only think of it as being for two people...because otherwise it could get pretty messy with the restrictions and figuring out whose "turn" it is and how to fairly divy up the cost of games.

But with this being an option, MS can satisfy some people, while still ripping off those who don't know how to do it or don't care to put up with the limitations. It just feels like they're being way too obvious with the "they don't even have to be a blood relative" thing. But I guess if you had a friend who literally liked the exact same games as you, you could always split the cost and get games for $30. That's not terrible, but the majority of games I own for 360, I've paid less than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does one person playing mean? For example, I'd love to buy Call of Duty: Ghosts and split the cost with my brother. Then play with him. It seemed at first you and one person can play at one time. But it looks like one person of ten in your fake family can play at once. So if I as the main buyer is playing, no one else can.

Need clarification.

The clarification is detailed. The key word in the following quote is "and". And's definition is pretty straight forward. In addition to, or jointly with. 

The quote: ""You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at any given time""

Let me get this straight... you think MS would allow up to ten people to gameshare AND (see how I used the conjunction  too?) play at the same time yet wouldn't highlight that point?

Yummy yummy kool aid

Edit: You're definition of "Detailed" is a little out of sync too. 

Let me get this straight... you think MS would allow up to ten people to gameshare AND (see how I used the conjunction too?) play at the same time yet wouldn't highlight that point?

Yummy yummy kool aid

Edit: You're definition of "Detailed" is a little out of sync too.
Yep, I do. Only one other person at a time though, which he also quiet clearly says.

It's painfully obvious Microsoft focused on the truth, the whole truth... and gave us the downsides of the system, while doing little to highlight the positives of the system.

That's why yosef specifically said they need to educate consumers on the benefits of being all digital... because they did a poor job of it.

Again though, if you'd care to point out how you got a different opinion reading the relevant source material I'm all ears. I'll admit I'm looking at it from a positive side, but when a executive comes out and says it quiet specifically it's hard not to read it any other way.

While we're defining things:

qui·et  
/ˈkwīət/
Adjective
Making little or no noise: "the car has a quiet, economical engine"; "I was as quiet as I could be, but he knew I was there".
quite  
/kwīt/
Adverb
To the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely: "it's quite out of the question".

;)

The clarification is detailed. The key word in the following quote is "and". And's definition is pretty straight forward. In addition to, or jointly with.

The quote: ""You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at any given time""
Also, this quote doesn't address if your "family member" can be playing the same game as you. I guess there's an assumption that all of your shared games are always visible, even if you're playing one. But the arstechnica article does actually make it sound otherwise. They just need to flat out answer "If I have 10 shared games, how many people in my "family" (including myself) can be playing at the same time?" AND "What is the most number of people that can be playing the same game at the same time (including myself)?" Answering those questions would pretty much clear up any remaining confusion.

If you can play a game at the same time as one of your "family members" this is huge. This would mean $30 or so for brand new games at launch. I just read this article on IGN so I'm glad someone else pointed it out because I really want a straight answer.

Also, this quote doesn't address if your "family member" can be playing the same game as you. I guess there's an assumption that all of your shared games are always visible, even if you're playing one. But the arstechnica article does actually make it sound otherwise. They just need to flat out answer "If I have 10 shared games, how many people in my "family" (including myself) can be playing at the same time?" AND "What is the most number of people that can be playing the same game at the same time (including myself)?" Answering those questions would pretty much clear up any remaining confusion.
Ahh, I see where your coming from.

The assumption being made that you playing a game from your library and your family/friend playing a game from your shared library. That being, perhaps the game your playing is removed from your library, thus unable to be played via the sharing feature.

My counter would be... what if your friend is playing DR3. That cant lock you out of DR3, since they quiet clearly say it dosent. So what happens when I play DR3? The only logical answer from the quote would be.... we'd both be playing DR3.

However it is confusing wording at the end there.

The assumption being made that you playing a game from your library and your family/friend playing a game from your shared library. That being, perhaps the game your playing is removed from your library, thus unable to be played via the sharing feature.

My counter would be... what if your friend is playing DR3. That cant lock you out of DR3, since they quiet clearly say it dosent. So what happens when I play DR3? The only logical answer from the quote would be.... we'd both be playing DR3.

Excellent counter point. I definitely can't imagine it locking you out if you're the one who bought the game. I think it would be hilarious if it kicked your friend out of the game though. "fuck you! You didn't pay for this!" lol. Based on that scenario, the YOU + 1 "family member" playing the same game does seem reasonable. The question remains if Microsoft is that generous though. In the end...yeah, the more answers we get, the more questions it creates.

Excellent counter point. I definitely can't imagine it locking you out if you're the one who bought the game. I think it would be hilarious if it kicked your friend out of the game though. "fuck you! You didn't pay for this!" lol. Based on that scenario, the YOU + 1 "family member" playing the same game does seem reasonable. The question remains if Microsoft is that generous though. In the end...yeah, the more answers we get, the more questions it creates.
Would almost be as big of a troll move as yelling "XBOX OFF" into your mic

this plan has the potential to be just spectacular.

so let's play this scenario out:

you are allowed up to 10 people per family list. you can choose who are your 9 family/friends. you have access to the whole gaming library of each family member. let's say person A owns 10 titles. person B owns 5 titles. person C owns 15 titles. person D owns 10 titles. that's 40 titles of games you can plan with the restriction being the game can be played by one person only simultaneously. now, expand this to a full list of 10 people and their entire gaming library. if you and your friends are clever, you can evenly buy different games and have a nice library.

someone went back and looked at the terms and how it could be restrictive and arrived at this conclusion: it appears to restrict it as if one of your "family" is accessing your library, others cannot access your library during that time. meaning this... person A owns 10 games. person B owns 5 games. person C owns 15 games. person D owns 10 games. if person B is playing a game on person's A list of games, person C and person D cannot play a game from person A's list. however, that means person C can still play the games from person B, person C or person D. And between the 4 friends in this example, they should be able to figure out how which of the 40 pooled games to play without conflict. So even is this is the restriction, it would be a boon for a person to have access to each other's games. Now stretch this out to the full 10 person list and wow, that's a nice library. But I can laugh of the possibility of people going, "oh, you don't own enough games to be on my family list"

now, the 1 person simultaneously is restrictive but not really when you factor that with such a huge library of games to choose from, you and your friends should be able to find something to play.  the worst case scenario is if all 10 people have to game at the same time and then it becomes a scrum to pick your game.

but if you look at the terms closely, it does seem to suggest that the primary owner of the game will always have access to the game no matter what and that 1 simultaneous player is one of the family members.  the key is the ", and"

no one is suggesting that it's the libraries of all 10 members and a free for all.  there are still potential restrictions (maybe there's a time delay for adding/removing friends like if you add someone, you can't remove him for 4 months kind of like a license transfer on the 360).  but no matter how you parse it, it seems like it's a great system.

I love the "This is how it'll work because... this is how I want it to work...." scenarios.

I see this working just like Netflix. Give your account info out to as many people as you want (say ten) however no more then two can be logged in and streaming at the same time. Period.

Kind of naive to think that MS is going to let ten people play the same game key at the same time just because they are on the same family (game share) account.

I love the "This is how it'll work because... this is how I want it to work...." scenarios.

I see this working just like Netflix. Give your account info out to as many people as you want (say ten) however no more then two can be logged in and streaming at the same time. Period.

Kind of naive to think that MS is going to let ten people play the same game key at the same time just because they are on the same family (game share) account.
We know it wont be that. They've already said you all cant be playing the same game.

Worst case scenario, its 1+1. However, in a circle of 10 friends, with planning.. your still saving probably $120-180, or getting three-four games "free" per year. Best case scenario, your going to be saving (potentially) a lot more.

no, look at the terms.  at FACE VALUE of the terms, this is what's been said (all the other stuff, i.e., "I see this working just like Netflix" is pure conjecture):

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

• Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing,you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
here's what was just added to the details:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It's a "family" affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" [Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf] Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

We know it wont be that. They've already said you all cant be playing the same game.

Worst case scenario, its 1+1. However, in a circle of 10 friends, with planning.. your still saving probably $120-180, or getting three-four games "free" per year. Best case scenario, your going to be saving (potentially) a lot more.
Worst case scenario is that we don't know how it'll work and it's all PR spin until someone gets two consoles and one game in their possession and tests out the possibilities of how it'll work. It's all guesswork coming from PR spin of a console that's not out until November.

no, look at the terms. at FACE VALUE of the terms, this is what's been said (all the other stuff, i.e., "I see this working just like Netflix" is pure conjecture):

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

• Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing,you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
here's what was just added to the details:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It's a "family" affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" [Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf] Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

Yawn...

Please tell me where it states all ten or more then one user can play the same game at the same time?

Hell I could have 100,000 people log into my netflix account but depending on my subscription level only two or four people could stream at the same time.

1) Wow! Anyone can play "MY" games on "MY" console? How innovative! I can't believe if I have a friend over they'd actually be able to play MY games on MY console!

2) All that gibberish states is that

A) You can share a library with up to ten other accounts

B) The account holders don't have to be related to you

C) You can access the library from any console

It doesn't mention anything about who can play what when now does it?

It would be pretty awesome if it works the way it sounds, but why go through the whole DRM BS and then turn around and let 10 people share 1 game? If this is true some people can purchase a XBone and never purchase a single game if they want.

The interview with Mehdi says that one person can access it at any time. That means 9 people have to wait until the one person is done.
They are leaving something out because there is absolutely no way EA would allow this. They would go from selling 6 million copies of a game to 600,000.

The interview with Mehdi says that one person can access it at any time. That means 9 people have to wait until the one person is done.
Only if you did a horrible job of preplanning.

Let's say we'd like to play the Division. Our circle is 10 strong. 5 of us buy it, 5 dont. Let's say we also would like to play The Crew. 5 of us buy it, 5 dont.

You've just gotten a game free, and you've got absolutely no restrictions on when you can play both games.

That's operating under the assumption that all 10 of you want to play that game, and all 10 want to play it at the exact same time. If your circle of 10 is a mixed circle (some FPS, some racing) you can even get away with purchasing less copies, since the FPS guys might not want to play The Crew, but they could occasionally just to check it out as a free game.

No, only one person from the family group can access the shared library at one time. You can only play the game you bought if someone else is playing a shared game.
All 10 of those people are in the same family group. It is not 10 separate groups which can be accessed independently.
It would be a big benefit if it works the way you hope, but that is still very unclear. As I said in another post, Cliffy at EA wouldn't let that happen.

No, only one person from the family group can access the shared library at one time. You can only play the game you bought if someone else is playing a shared game.
All 10 of those people are in the same family group. It is not 10 separate groups which can be accessed independently.
It would be a big benefit if it works the way you hope, but that is still very unclear. As I said in another post, Cliffy at EA wouldn't let that happen.
That's actually not what it says.

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

That's pretty clearly worded. You can always play your games any time, AND ( jointly with, in addition too) one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at any given time.

I'm unsure how that's unclear? Where is the confusion in that sentence?

Each person gets their own group, because its YOUR library your sharing, not ten family members library.

Not in the ars technica interview.
"You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time."

That clearly says if you are sharing a game, only one person plays it. Not you and another.

Until Microsoft shows an explains a specific example (say, 4 people sharing 5 different games each), no one will really know how it works. I think they are being vague because they still don't know what they will do.

This sounds great, if it works the way I'm thinking it will.  One question I have is will it let us add existing Gamertags to our "Family" or wold they have to be made up brand new.

yes, it's the restrictions that are unknown at this point.  and ultimately, it's how those restrictions happen that make the difference whether this is good or not.

however, the terminology of the wording is not in question. 

Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One.

YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY your games , AND any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library AT A GIVEN TIME.

think out each restriction you can think of.  someone said it's your own library, not the others.  well, if I'm adding someone to my family list, I definitely expect them to add me to their family list!  I own 10 games.  He owns 10 games.  I can play my 10 games and his 10 games.

and in reality, you're only going to add people to this list that actually buy a lot of games.  are you going to be adding freeloaders?  of course not.  he can be my friend and I'll play with him but he's not going on my family list.

group purchases of games is quite common on Xbox.  people want to play together and often buy a particular game together because the cliques want to play.  and really, if people want a game, people will buy the game even if they could wait and play it.  if you really want to play Kingdom Hearts 3, you'll get it even though your friend may be done in a couple of weeks with it.  I know, I know.  this is cheapassgamers and many people are cheap-ass gamers.  but people will be cheap overall but when they really want something, they'll get it.  I can wait a couple years to pick up MW3 because while I like it, it's not a priority.  but a fan will get it quickly and a $60 price with a $15 gift card is considered a good deal to that person.  it's all relative.

this can also encourage a broader range of purchases.  right now, all the big titles get the majority of the sales.  the lesser known titles get the leftover and niche sales.  but if a family group spreads out their genres, that means they are spreading out the types of games being bought.  I would never buy a fighting game because I suck at fighters.  But if my friend has a fighting game, I can check it out every once in awhile.  I know that I like Kinect games and some of my friends wouldn't buy them but they'd certainly like to check them out every once inawhile.

now, the details aren't out fully and we don't know.  which means that bashing something that isn't even known yet is kind of crazy.  the funny thing is the bashing is based on conjecture.  but as of right now and at this point in time, at the face value of the terms, you have to at least be optimistic.  part pessimistic but also part optimistic. 

"You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time."

That clearly says if you are sharing a game, only one person plays it. Not you and another.

Until Microsoft shows an explains a specific example (say, 4 people sharing 5 different games each), no one will really know how it works. I think they are being vague because they still don't know what they will do.
The Ars Technica interview simply misplaced a word while reading it. Remember, I'm reading *directly from the microsoft xbox one faq*, which trumps a review site that says "it seems to be" like they are guessing.

you're quoting the interviewer's words. as with anything, you look at the direct source. what Microsoft said. not the interviewer's interpretation of it. he may know more because he could be asking questions outside of what he printed. like the saying goes, "only the facts, ma'am." and right now, until Microsoft changes the wording, it's all we have to go by.

If you can play a game at the same time as one of your "family members" this is huge. This would mean $30 or so for brand new games at launch. I just read this article on IGN so I'm glad someone else pointed it out because I really want a straight answer.
Pretty sure that's not correct:
"The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time"

If they allowed even 2 people, that would be sick, but it looks like one at a time from the way I read it...still cool, but while XBOX Live is the greatest feature of the XBOX, if sharing could be allowed at the same time for maybe the same network that would be sick!

Now, this is all assuming it's true which at this point seems tenuous, I would have a number of bets why Microsoft would allow this.

1) people are selfish. "what if this person is a leech? not going to add him" "why should I share with strangers?" this would cut down on some of the sharing.

2) afraid of getting hacked by strangers somehow, someway. avoid the whole issue by staying with real family.

3) for those that are willing to share with strangers, this will encourage all members to buy titles. the bulk buying idea. "hey, I own 10 games. you've only bought 2. what's up with that?" it's also a positive feedback loop. people are going to add people that have the most games. if you want to be on someone's family list, you better have some games. And people in general do want to be fairly equal. My friend egged me on to get Saints Row The Third when I had zero interest so when I did buy it to play with her, she kind of felt guilty and bought a few XBLA games that I had so that we could play those together.

4) will encourage more diverse buying across the entire Xbox One software library. right now, the bulk of sales are the biggies of the industry. the niche titles stay to niche markets. well, if you know you don't have to buy every single title you want to play, you can skip on some common titles and buy other titles that your friends might never buy. the biggies don't suffer because people have their multiplayer fix. sales of COD won't drop. people don't want to have to depend on availability of the title.

I think sales of niche titles would go up. The top selling multiplayer games would always be up there. The midrange single player games would suffer the most in this setup.

just from a grammar standpoint, it would seem from Microsoft's statement that the primary owner of the game always can play it and only 1 member of the family at the same time.

these upcoming months will certainly be interesting. the details that'll come out with all the plans. Microsoft wanted to have a slow release of information spread over the months from the reveal to launch. But the Internet is not cooperating. ;)

They're in a PR fight now and will probably have to reveal more than they hoped for and at a quicker pace. They're letting others write a wild narrative and if they don't start saying more, people will accept it as fact. Like one of my friends say that he read an article that Microsoft was going to add another fee on top of the Xbox Live Gold fee and the regular Netflix fee in order to view Netflix. it's this kind of FUD that Microsoft needs to put down sooner rather than later.

Excellent counter point. I definitely can't imagine it locking you out if you're the one who bought the game. I think it would be hilarious if it kicked your friend out of the game though. " fuck you! You didn't pay for this!" lol. Based on that scenario, the YOU + 1 "family member" playing the same game does seem reasonable. The question remains if Microsoft is that generous though. In the end...yeah, the more answers we get, the more questions it creates.

it's this kind of FUD that Microsoft needs to put down sooner rather than later.
No matter what your views on the current consoles I think we can all agree on this. They need to get it all out in the open and quit releasing information without all the details. This plan if set up right could be a desperately needed feather in the cap of the MS PR department right now but as it stands it's not helping them much because they haven't released all the info.

After some time thinking about this, I really wonder what this is going to do to the rental market.

Let's say I purchase a game at launch for 60 bucks.  I create a new xbox live account to register this game.  Then I rent out access to my friends list for this xbox account, let's say $3.99 for 7 days of access.  Rinse and repeat

After some time thinking about this, I really wonder what this is going to do to the rental market.

Let's say I purchase a game at launch for 60 bucks. I create a new xbox live account to register this game. Then I rent out access to my friends list for this xbox account, let's say $3.99 for 7 days of access. Rinse and repeat
Rent out your game library for profit. You've got to commit to it though.Gotta have a large collection of games and have all of them installed. Charge monthly or yearly subscription since you have to have the person on your friends list for 30 days. I wonder if CAG mods will allow this kind practice because I'm totally up for it.

Let's say I purchase a game at launch for 60 bucks. I create a new xbox live account to register this game. Then I rent out access to my friends list for this xbox account, let's say $3.99 for 7 days of access. Rinse and repeat
Rent out your game library for profit. You've got to commit to it though.Gotta have a large collection of games and have all of them installed. Charge monthly or yearly subscription since you have to have the person on your friends list for 30 days. I wonder if CAG mods will allow this kind practice because I'm totally up for it.
The 30 day limit applies to giving away your license, not to using the family feature.

Anyway, back to the idea... since they havent said if we will be able to freely modify our 10 family members "on the fly", or if it might be a once a year thing, I'm not sure how you would accomplish that if its locked in.

Since the one person you added to rent could use the second guy's game you purchased as well.

The 30 day limit applies to giving away your license, not to using the family feature.

Anyway, back to the idea... since they havent said if we will be able to freely modify our 10 family members "on the fly", or if it might be a once a year thing, I'm not sure how you would accomplish that if its locked in.

Since the one person you added to rent could use the second guy's game you purchased as well.
yeah, there has to be some kind of time limit on this system. they're not going to allow people to modify their list so quickly to add/remove on a whim just to find a particular game to play.

This family share thing sound awesome but won't this undercut the developers even more than letting the consumer trade and rent games in the first place? How is this protecting the developers individual ip when 10 other people are basically freeloading off of one game?

Thank you for explaining it this way. I was under the assumption that 10 people could have shared access to the same library of games at the same time, which I knew couldn't be true because you could basically create a 10 person gameshare account and be paying 10% of the normal cost of a game. Now I realize why that wouldn't work, because besides the owner of the game, only one other person could have access to the shared account at any given time.

Who the fuck has time to work out the logistics of all of this bullshit? Jesus christ, gaming is like a second job now.

Also, does anyone other than teenagers really lend their games out often enough to make this a worthwhile feature?

Pretty sure that's not correct:
"The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time"

If they allowed even 2 people, that would be sick, but it looks like one at a time from the way I read it...still cool, but while XBOX Live is the greatest feature of the XBOX, if sharing could be allowed at the same time for maybe the same network that would be sick!
I read it differently. If you notice they say that the 1 person limit is for "shared library". Any time they talk about the family section they say shared library. So it could mean main owner can play and 1 on the shared library. But that's just my optimism poking through

Who the fuck has time to work out the logistics of all of this bullshit? Jesus christ, gaming is like a second job now.

Also, does anyone other than teenagers really lend their games out often enough to make this a worthwhile feature?
I certainly dont, and havent for quiet awhile. Most of my friends are scattered across the US, from Georgia to Oregon. Partly why I'm a bit happy about the feature. We've already talked and have a sketchy plan in place for buying our games based upon our preferred preference in playing style, and what groups usually play together on Xbox Live. Could change since again, the feature could be better then what we think, or worse then what we think.

So no to 2 people playing at the same time?

So me and 1 family at the same time?
Currently, per the Xbox One FAQ its 1 (you) + 1 (any of the 10) at a time.

According to xbox support up there ^^ you could potentially have 11 people (1 owner and 10 family members) playing different games from one persons xbox 1 library.  The way most of us are reading this, it should be you the owner can always play any game you want. Zero restrictions. One person on your family list can play one of your games with you. The other 9 people would have to play different games

I have family that I let borrow my games when I'm done with them. I have a core group of buddies on Live that pretty much buy the same games. The thought of being able to split the costs of brand new games is pretty much awesome. I still think this is too good to be true. This would be cutting into their game sales drastically.

Ayguitt.png

Sans the cussing this is how I view it.

Only one person out of the 10 "family" can play a game from your shared library at one time. After one person starts a game then I believe the others will be locked out of being able to play, but will be able to view the games (and most likely also be able to contact whomever is accessing the library to play a game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back