* * * * - 25 votes

Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

Anime

#4081 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2878 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

Amazon Warehouse Deals has the two FMA Brotherhood collections for $54 total.

There, now hush.  :)  This thread went off-topic long before you subscribed, it will continue to do so long after you leave. Besides, there's like 3 active threads in the blu ray forum.  It's not like it would be hard to know when it was updated without following the thread :D

#4082 SativaSam   The Price of Evil CAGiversary!   3107 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

I wasn't looking for just FMA I am wanting to start buying a lot of anime and that's why I subscribed to the thread. I didnt mean to come off as malicious.

#4083 kardis5k7   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

kardis5k7

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

No biggie deals SativaSam. I fall for this thread every time. I believe unless it is a special time of the month, black Friday, or even Christmas then the deals are slim. It is nice to see the conversations though....it keeps this thread fresh...and the interest is there. On that note...I am a sucker for old anime. I keep coming back to "try" to buy Magic Knight Rayearth relatively cheap. Is it worth my time?

#4084 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20828 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:19 AM

I wasn't looking for just FMA I am wanting to start buying a lot of anime and that's why I subscribed to the thread. I didnt mean to come off as malicious.

We're kind of in the middle of a dead spot for anime sales.

Generally DD, Rightstuf, and some other sites start running them during June/July for the summer, so we're kind of right at the calm before the storm.

They're usually not fantastic sales, but it'll be something at least.

#4085 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

I keep coming back to "try" to buy Magic Knight Rayearth relatively cheap. Is it worth my time?

I personally think so. The start of Season 1 feels old as hell, but by the second half and throughout Season 2 the story takes over. I also like the English opening, though a lot of people don't.

#4086 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2878 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Oh I know, I was just trying to be helpful since I knew you were looking for them and they just added Collection 1 to the list last night.  Actually Collection 2 and several of the individual parts have been in the Warehouse for awhile now, I just never mentioned them because they were random volumes and weren't that great of a deal.

And although I did read the post that way initially, I read it a couple more times and realized that wasn't the case.  That was why my reply was filled with smileyfaces instead of GTFOes :D

They also added a $30 copy of La Storia della Arcana Longnameia but I haven't heard enough good things about the series to have any real interest.  http://www.amazon.co...=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

#4087 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Welp, it looks like Funimation finally got the "OK" to release DBZ Battle of the Gods. It will have a limited theatrical run in August. :D

#4088 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

It's about damn time!

#4089 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20828 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

First of the summer sales is in with DD,

Deep-BigSale14-Main-hero.jpg

Looked at the prices of the majority of things and nothing really jumped out.

Will go through the list again later to see if there's anything worth noting.

#4090 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4088 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Welp, it looks like Funimation finally got the "OK" to release DBZ Battle of the Gods. It will have a limited theatrical run in August. :D

Bout time, it better come out on DVD & Blu-ray around Christmas time then or before that.

#4091 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

For those wanting Yu-Gi-Oh Season 4 at Best Buy, the $9.99 is in-store as well. My Best Buy had it in a special display of regular TV shows instead of anime though.

#4092 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

Funi posted an unboxing of the Attack on Titan LE for those that are interested.

#4093 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

Funi posted an unboxing of the Attack on Titan LE for those that are interested.

Looks good. My copy shipped from RS this morning. :D

#4094 bargainman   CAG CAGiversary!   37 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

bargainman

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

Very impressed

#4095 Sporkis   Will Duel 4 Mead! CAGiversary!   1775 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

So glad I cancel the LE and went with the regular now.  I hate digibooks, but something in me kept gnawing that I might miss something or other.  The rumors that it might be in a box for the series as a whole or individual separate boxes for each LE, then I could maybe swallow the digibook.  As it is though I have no regrets now.  In the video I did chuckle at the "or watch the opening over and over and over, a million times" comment.  They know their target audience! :lol:

#4096 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

All of Manga's Blu-ray releases are region locked, yeah? Because I noticed that their price on Blue Exorcist is waaaaaaaay more reasonable than what we can get here. I honestly hate it that these stupid companies release these shows at these insane prices. It's not '99 anymore; that shit just doesn't fly.

#4097 zulux21   It's all good. CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

It's not '99 anymore; that shit just doesn't fly.

apparently it does otherwise they wouldn't continue to do it >.>;

I'd like if they at least started doing cheaper rereleases. In general I do $1 per episode for any given anime episode... up to $2 per ep if it's a series I like... but their $4 per episode is just way to much for me :/

#4098 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

All of Manga's Blu-ray releases are region locked, yeah? Because I noticed that their price on Blue Exorcist is waaaaaaaay more reasonable than what we can get here. I honestly hate it that these stupid companies release these shows at these insane prices. It's not '99 anymore; that shit just doesn't fly.

Everything from the UK in terms of anime will be locked to region 2. Rurouni Kenshin was the only exception because it was a live action movie.

#4099 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2537 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

You gotta realize though that companies like Aniplex of America charge these types of prices cause they constanstly make a profit from people buying anything they release regardless of price(hell the $400 blu-ray Garden of Sinners set sold out the day it was released).So in a way I can't blame them for charging that much,but I don't agree with it since they screw over the average consumer in the process.

#4100 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

You gotta realize though that companies like Aniplex of America charge these types of prices cause they constanstly make a profit from people buying anything they release regardless of price(hell the $400 blu-ray Garden of Sinners set sold out the day it was released).So in a way I can't blame them for charging that much,but I don't agree with it since they screw over the average consumer in the process.

You're right. If people are buying it, then it's not a bad move for them to do. I just wish people were smart enough to say no. It's just crap that there are certain shows that people with a single ounce of frugality can never own lol.

#4101 Fatal Futanari   What cha got there Senpai? CAGiversary!   7647 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Fatal Futanari

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

It cost me around $350 with shipping but I ordered all the Gundam UC Unicorn blurays off amazon.jp. Not bad of a price since Vol 1 - 6 are the 35th anniversary editions and Vol 7 is the LE. I am so glad they are dual audio. Nicer packaging and cheaper than buying the US ones :)

As for the Aniplex debate. I wish they weren't so limited. At the time of the Madoka releases, I was unemployed. Now the LEs are no where to be found! >.<

#4102 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm at 3/7 on Unicorn, and I've spent very little. It's really hard to find good deals on it, though. That's another release strategy that I loathe. Lol

Also, just found out that it's super easy to bypass region settings when using the Blu-ray drive in a PC. I'm in the process of building a monstrous gaming PC, so I might just go that route. It's not really the optimal way to watch something, but it will be hooked up to my receiver, so the surround sound will work, at least, and then there's no need to buy a region free blu-ray player.

#4103 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

You know what I say to the Unicorn Blu-rays?

Gimme the DVD instead. Cheaper and in fewer discs so I can put them all in one case.

Also, if anyone here is a Pokemon fan, Viz has semi-announced that they will be re-releasing the Johto saga either later this year or early next.

#4104 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I've become a rather large snob when it comes to DVD vs Bluray. I know they are much cheaper, but I just feel dirty about spending that much money--cause it's still not exactly 'cheap'--on DVDs when the blu-rays are extant.

#4105 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

I have a big 40 inch Samsung LED HDTV so I can see all of fine details of Blu Ray movies now. I can also see all of the imperfections of DVDs such as the major compression and the pixelation that comes from it. As for Aniplex and Japan only things, I'll go DVD (Darker than Black) or import it (Aniplex USA titles). 

Gundam sadly is as you've noticed has some of the most picky licensing deals so that is probably the only exception to that whole ordeal where I can't blame you for grabbing the DVDs instead. 

#4106 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

I've become a rather large snob when it comes to DVD vs Bluray. I know they are much cheaper, but I just feel dirty about spending that much money--cause it's still not exactly 'cheap'--on DVDs when the blu-rays are extant.

The DVDs are cheap. Two episodes a disc for about $18-23 per.

#4107 Fatal Futanari   What cha got there Senpai? CAGiversary!   7647 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Fatal Futanari

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

I'm at 3/7 on Unicorn, and I've spent very little. It's really hard to find good deals on it, though. That's another release strategy that I loathe. Lol

Also, just found out that it's super easy to bypass region settings when using the Blu-ray drive in a PC. I'm in the process of building a monstrous gaming PC, so I might just go that route. It's not really the optimal way to watch something, but it will be hooked up to my receiver, so the surround sound will work, at least, and then there's no need to buy a region free blu-ray player.

I held off on the Unicorn blu-rays for as long as I could. However, seeing that Gundam Origin trailer the other day just made me realize that we probably won't see a Gundam series release here for a while, if ever. So I decided to splurge.

You know what I say to the Unicorn Blu-rays?

Gimme the DVD instead. Cheaper and in fewer discs so I can put them all in one case.

Also, if anyone here is a Pokemon fan, Viz has semi-announced that they will be re-releasing the Johto saga either later this year or early next.

I won't buy DVD releases anymore. I watch my anime on a 55inch TV, so I can see all the DVD imperfections. So if there is or will be a bluray version of said title, I will go with that one. The only titles that I will buy on DVD are Discotek titles.

Same here. The price difference between DVD and Bluray sets are only a few dollars.

I have a big 40 inch Samsung LED HDTV so I can see all of fine details of Blu Ray movies now. I can also see all of the imperfections of DVDs such as the major compression and the pixelation that comes from it. As for Aniplex and Japan only things, I'll go DVD (Darker than Black) or import it (Aniplex USA titles). 

Gundam sadly is as you've noticed has some of the most picky licensing deals so that is probably the only exception to that whole ordeal where I can't blame you for grabbing the DVDs instead. 

Same here. Honestly, I would be fine dropping $400 on the Gundam bluray sets as it is my all-time favorite anime/show/series. Sadly, none have english subtitles :(

#4108 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

The imperfections in the image quality on DVD do not bug me too much though I try to get BD's whenever I can. The big thing that bugs me about DVDs are the low res subtitles. I finished SoreMachi a little bit ago on dvd and the subs were an eyesore. Though I ended up getting Baccano on DVD since the BD are OOP/expensive and it wasn't nearly as bad since the dub was well done.

#4109 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

You could never convince me to spend $400 on a Blu-ray set, regardless on how much I love the show. And if I don't have a problem with zoomed-in ThunderCats on my HDTV (which sits about 6 feet from my chair), I won't mind Unicorn on DVD. Plus, as I said, there are fewer discs so I can put them in one case and condense space on my shelf.

Now, if they remake the Unicorn Blu-rays with 2-3 episodes per disc at $29.95 MSRP, then I'll bite. Until then, I will learn to live with these awful, poisonous, cancerous DVDs.

#4110 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2537 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

Am one of those guys who doesn't believe every anime needs to be on blu-ray. Something like Cromartie High School doesn't need to be on blu-ray while a show like Katanagatari benefits a lot from the upgrade.