Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably a misprint problem. They had the exact same problem with their Baka & Test Season 2 set, so if you actually play the disc it might be the right disc, but just misprinted. Is the disc just printed as Disc 2 but on a blu disc, or is it actually printed on a DVD? And was one of the two Disc 2s printed a blu? Not sure if that's what going on, but I guess couldn't hurt to double check if you get another one like that again.

In any case not sure what's up with them and releases lately.
Nope, not a misprint. Checked the one I'm about to ship back. It's just an extra S1, disc 2 DVD. It's like they just forgot to include the S1, disc 1 BR and threw that DVD in the holder as an CYA to make sure the number of discs is the same.

But if Amazon pulls their copies listed and puts them under review, at least we'll know why.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Baka & Test S2. Was going to grab that at the end of the month and forgot about that recall. As there are probably still copies of that set with the mislabeled disc out there.

nothing quite topped Birdy either season 1 or 2 cant remember but one of the discs on a pretty massive scale apparently was a season 4 disc of dbz lol imagine my surprise.
Ugh, I actually went through two of those before getting a fixed version. Be careful, there's still people on Amazon/Ebay that list that botched version without noting it's not the one w/ the corrected disc. BTW, it was Season 1(or Part 1 as Funimation released it under).

Nope, not a misprint. Checked the one I'm about to ship back. It's just an extra S1, disc 2 DVD. It's like they just forgot to include the S1, disc 1 BR and threw that DVD in the holder as an CYA to make sure the number of discs is the same.

But if Amazon pulls their copies listed and puts them under review, at least we'll know why.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Baka & Test S2. Was going to grab that at the end of the month and forgot about that recall. As there are probably still copies of that set with the mislabeled disc out there.

Ugh, I actually went through two of those before getting a fixed version. Be careful, there's still people on Amazon/Ebay that list that botched version without noting it's not the one w/ the corrected disc. BTW, it was Season 1(or Part 1 as Funimation released it under).
Ah, then Funimation is just finding new and different avenues of screwing up then. Huzzah.... ~_~

Is it certain that there will be a complete set of Steins Gate? I watched the first episode on funi's youtube page and loved it. $60 sounds good for the full set, but obviously if it's going to be cheaper down the road in a complete collection I can wait.
I don't think it's 100% certain. Although they have done it in the past, it's not guaranteed. (But still it is somewhat likely)

After reading the issue, I opened my copy to check if it had the same problem. Fortunately, all of my discs were not misprinted. I even checked them on my DVD/BR players to see if content were consistent, which they were. I think you may have gotten a few bad batches.

One thing to note too is that all discs of the first season contain character artwork of both Musubi and Tsukiumi, for both the DVD and BR (disc 1 = Musubi, disc 2 = Tsukiumi), meaning two of each character. The only difference between the DVDs and BRs is that under the Sekirei label, it would have either a red or blue line containing details of the content (red for DVD and blue for BR), with DVD1 having 1-7 episodes, DVD2 having 8-12 + extras, BR1 having 1-9 episodes, and BR2 having 10-12 + extras. In your case, since you lack a S1, BR1 disc and instead have a S1, DVD2 disc, this would mean that you would have 3 Tsukiumi discs instead of just two, right?

I have a few photos that I can post for reference sake if you want.

Is this normal for new items from Amazon?

cTlNEuh.jpg

It seems like Funi and Viz have some sort of sale or reduced prices on a bunch of their listings on Amazon. The following are links to the ones that are not on the op:

Funi

Viz

BTW, the Corpse Princess S.A.V.E. edition is also part of the sale. It's $15.49 right now(was $20.78 a couple days ago).

After reading the issue, I opened my copy to check if it had the same problem. Fortunately, all of my discs were not misprinted. I even checked them on my DVD/BR players to see if content were consistent, which they were. I think you may have gotten a few bad batches.

One thing to note too is that all discs of the first season contain character artwork of both Musubi and Tsukiumi, for both the DVD and BR (disc 1 = Musubi, disc 2 = Tsukiumi), meaning two of each character. The only difference between the DVDs and BRs is that under the Sekirei label, it would have either a red or blue line containing details of the content (red for DVD and blue for BR), with DVD1 having 1-7 episodes, DVD2 having 8-12 + extras, BR1 having 1-9 episodes, and BR2 having 10-12 + extras. In your case, since you lack a S1, BR1 disc and instead have a S1, DVD2 disc, this would mean that you would have 3 Tsukiumi discs instead of just two, right?

I have a few photos that I can post for reference sake if you want.
Yep, it has 3 Tsukiumi discs(2 DVD & 1 BR) & only 1 Musubi disc(which is DVD version). Meaning I'm missing the first 9 episodes on BR.

I emailed Funimation to let them know about this botched batch and possibly see if I get just send in that extra disc & get it replaced by them(just in case this 3rd one has the same problem).

Is this normal for new items from Amazon?
It's either a different copy someone returned to Amazon or (more likely) a unsold copy that a retailer sent back to the distributor and was sent to Amazon when they ordered more copies.

Will wait for Heaven's Lost Property to drop before I get it. Still upset I spent $35 for an artbox.

Magical Index is still too expensive for me.

Got RightStuf's catalog in. Has some codes you can use:

- $4 off a $60+ order: CP34-01
- Garden of Words Blu-ray for $17.99: CP34-02
- Kids on the Slope Blu-ray for $34.99: CP34-03

After all these years I still have never been able to get the $ off codes to work on anything since it seems almost everything is "on sale" on Rightstuf, so nothing ever qualifies unless I grossly overpay for something at which point it defeats the purpose of even using the code.

After all these years I still have never been able to get the $ off codes to work on anything since it seems almost everything is "on sale" on Rightstuf, so nothing ever qualifies unless I grossly overpay for something at which point it defeats the purpose of even using the code.
^^ Sadly, this is the case 99.9% of the time. If you look to use that coupon for $ off, your most likely going to look like this poor fellow. ----> :whee:

If it makes you feel any better, the two specific coupons make those titles much cheaper than eBay and Amazon

Speaking of Rightstuf, what is going on with their coupon exclusions at the moment?  Almost all dvd/blus seem to be excluded from coupons, membership, and affiliate discounts at the moment.  For example, Elfen Lied and Kids on the Slope, to mention some that I recently purchased with a gotanime discount showing as discount unavailable.  Is the system having issues?  Are the rules changing?  Was I just confused to begin with?  Also, I'm looking at Eureka Seven AO, and the limited edition is excluded but normal isn't.  Is that standard practice?  There were several limiteds I was planning on pre-ordering, but not if my discount doesn't apply.  On Fujiko Mine the discounts don't apply to limited or regular, so I just don't get the rules.

On pre-orders, do they match the lowest price between order and ship time?  Or are you locked in at pre-order price?

As for Sekirei misprint/mispackage issue.  I went ahead and decided to check that one out.  My copy will be here Friday, and I'll report if I have any issues.

If it makes you feel any better, the two specific coupons make those titles much cheaper than eBay and Amazon
That would make me feel slightly better......if they weren't already that price on Rightstuf without the coupons. I absolutely love Rightstuf, but they don't make much sense sometimes.

EDIT: I suppose the coupon could be automatically applied when ordering online for the people that don't know about the coupon, and the actual code could be used for the orders from catalog.

That would make me feel slightly better......if they weren't already that price on Rightstuf without the coupons. I absolutely love Rightstuf, but they don't make much sense sometimes.
I think this is related to my above issues. I actually ordered them as soon as the coupons went out online a week ago, before the prices reflected what they currently do. When I ordered them it automatically adjusted the price to the coupon price, and then it applied the coupon price to them, and then my gotanime discount. So I got them for pretty cheap. I decided to tell Rightstuf and they fixed it, but if others were having the same issue they might have just changed the price in the system to fix it.

Also, if early means something to you, they just shipped Garden of Words. A month early.

I think this is related to my above issues. I actually ordered them as soon as the coupons went out online a week ago, before the prices reflected what they currently do. When I ordered them it automatically adjusted the price to the coupon price, and then it applied the coupon price to them, and then my gotanime discount. So I got them for pretty cheap. I decided to tell Rightstuf and they fixed it, but if others were having the same issue they might have just changed the price in the system to fix it.

Also, if early means something to you, they just shipped Garden of Words. A month early.
Yes, early is awesome! That is one of the best things about pre-ordering from Rightstuf! Garden of Words was scheduled for Aug. 6 so getting it a month early is terrific! The Haganai I have pre-order is scheduled for Aug. 6 as well so hopefully it ships out relatively early, but if not oh wellz.

RightStuf ships their stuff out as soon as it arrives regardless of release date. I usually get my manga pre-orders (which is the main reason I shop RightStuf nowadays) a month or so early.

As I was debating about whether or not to pick up Shana on blu ray now or later, I started looking through Amazon's anime blus.  I found a couple of preorders that were cheaper than they are at Right Stuf:

Eureka 7 AO, part 1 LE - $36.96

Michiko and Hatchin, part 1 LE - $33.99

Future Diary, Part 1 LE (DVD) - $30.96

I'm assuming that the idea is that if they sell the LE chipboard box sets to people cheaper; they're more likely to get people to order part 2 right away.  To me, I just see it as a chance to wait for part 2 to get cheap without worrying about the LE going out of print :D

As for Sekirei misprint/mispackage issue. I went ahead and decided to check that one out. My copy will be here Friday, and I'll report if I have any issues.
Let me know if your copy has all the right discs and where it shipped(since it might be a certain warehouse that has a bad batch). Both of the bad sets I got came from Hebron, KY.

My 3rd set hasn't shipped yet, since ordering a couple S.A.V.E. sets on the 3rd pushed it back and looks like they're shipping them together(I hate when they do that). *3rd copy shipped out this morning on it's own, looks like it's coming from their Chattanooga, TN facility.

My Bride is a Mermaid S.A.V.E. edition is $15.49 on Amazon.
Seems like a lot of the S.A.V.E. sets are on sale(well, besides the OOP ones & ones that came out in June/July). Most of them are around $10-$15.

Strangely, Amazon still has not received anymore of the Black Cat S.A.V.E. sets since their sale in May. It's been saying that it's out of stock and expect to receive more copies in 1-4 weeks since the middle of May.

Spice & Wolf dropped down another dollar to $28.99. I remember I almost grabbed it at $31.49.

Looks like...

*puts on sunglasses*

...I saved $2.50

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Speaking of Rightstuf, what is going on with their coupon exclusions at the moment? Almost all dvd/blus seem to be excluded from coupons, membership, and affiliate discounts at the moment. For example, Elfen Lied and Kids on the Slope, to mention some that I recently purchased with a gotanime discount showing as discount unavailable. Is the system having issues? Are the rules changing? Was I just confused to begin with? Also, I'm looking at Eureka Seven AO, and the limited edition is excluded but normal isn't. Is that standard practice? There were several limiteds I was planning on pre-ordering, but not if my discount doesn't apply. On Fujiko Mine the discounts don't apply to limited or regular, so I just don't get the rules.

On pre-orders, do they match the lowest price between order and ship time? Or are you locked in at pre-order price?

As for Sekirei misprint/mispackage issue. I went ahead and decided to check that one out. My copy will be here Friday, and I'll report if I have any issues.
RightStuf shouldn't even have coupons because they seem to be convinced that all of their prices are sale prices. Meaning unless you like buying old anime DVDs or bargain bin stuff, I wouldn't even bother with coupons, let alone a Got Anime membership. Also, from my knowledge they do not have a pre-order guarantee, but they almost never change their pre-order prices. Don't ask why they are flop flopping between versions and discounts. RightStuf can be a weird place sometimes.

I guess TL;DR - Don't buy a Got Anime? membership from RightStuf if the only thing you're buying is newly released anime. They will always be on sale which always excludes coupons and probably the membership benefits too.

I will agree that most anime DVDs are still expensive from RightStuf, but everything else on the site is usually cheaper than Amazon or eBay.

I guess TL;DR - Don't buy a Got Anime? membership from RightStuf if the only thing you're buying is newly released anime. They will always be on sale which always excludes coupons and probably the membership benefits too.
I'm afraid I'll have to politely disagree with you there. The GA membership always works with whatever their current studio sale is, and generally also works with normal sales (ie things other than their big Christmas sale). On one transaction I paid $10.02 under their "no membership discount" price for the (then) newly released Lupin III Green vs Red, and preorders of both Fujiko Mine LE, and Fairy Tail v.5.

The membership can save you quite a bit over the course of a year as long as you follow the studio sales.

Let me know if your copy has all the right discs and where it shipped(since it might be a certain warehouse that has a bad batch). Both of the bad sets I got came from Hebron, KY.

My 3rd set hasn't shipped yet, since ordering a couple S.A.V.E. sets on the 3rd pushed it back and looks like they're shipping them together(I hate when they do that). *3rd copy shipped out this morning on it's own, looks like it's coming from their Chattanooga, TN facility.
No doubles in my set. Shipped from Chattanooga 7/2.

It's very hard for me to justify even $28 for a DVD-only half-set. Especially when FUNi is using regular cases instead of thinpaks.

And yes, I do realize that $28 for 13 episodes a decade ago would have been a steal.

It seems like Funi and Viz have some sort of sale or reduced prices on a bunch of their listings on Amazon. The following are links to the ones that are not on the op:

Viz

nana is amazing. i recommend it. story isnt your usual cheesiness anime is known for(i love me some anime but it does have it usual cheesiness its known for). the music is phenomenal as well really best music in anime period. the only problem is the manga is unfinished and the anime ends at the half way point of the manga.

i also never understood the love for eureka 7. its poorly told at best. and the primary love stories in the show are weird and inexplicably put together with all the effort a romantic comedy goes through which is to say 0 effort. then there is the weird gundam style fighting that is taking place in all of it. the main male child character is also unlikable as hell as well as the main female child character.

Anyone seen the "Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere" series yet, how good is it? Been looking to pick them up.
I've seen both seasons. Personally, it's one of my favorite animes just because of how impressive and deep of a world they create for the visuals (the series is based on light novels). The attire that every character wears is definitely a first for anime, but whether or not you like it is up to you. The characters all seem to hit every kind of anime archetype; there's everything you can think of, including ninjas, robots, mikos, tsunderes, mechas, supernatural creatures, the perverted guy, the slanted eyed person, the big breasted onee-san, etc. I think the only one I haven't seen yet is a nurse type. It was fun to see how these personalities mesh together. The only thing that irks me is that the plot is too complicated to follow. The exposition is severely lacking, and often you'll never get what is going on in the scene. But battle scenes are aplently in both seasons.

I've been looking to pickup the blus, but season 1 never goes below $40, and season 2 has yet to come out.

I've seen both seasons. Personally, it's one of my favorite animes just because of how impressive and deep of a world they create for the visuals (the series is based on light novels). The attire that every character wears is definitely a first for anime, but whether or not you like it is up to you. The characters all seem to hit every kind of anime archetype; there's everything you can think of, including ninjas, robots, mikos, tsunderes, mechas, supernatural creatures, the perverted guy, the slanted eyed person, the big breasted onee-san, etc. I think the only one I haven't seen yet is a nurse type. It was fun to see how these personalities mesh together. The only thing that irks me is that the plot is too complicated to follow. The exposition is severely lacking, and often you'll never get what is going on in the scene. But battle scenes are aplently in both seasons.

I've been looking to pickup the blus, but season 1 never goes below $40, and season 2 has yet to come out.
I agree. At first I was bit hesitant to pick up this series due to the Plot. But I decided to watch it on a whim and Horizon easily became one of my favorite series. Sure, it's a bit confusing but if you're willing to read the LNs, think, and delve deeper in the backstory, it can make sense if given enough time.

The Fight Scenes were pretty good imo and I often found myself laughing at the Protagonist. Some things in the Show are pretty ridiculous but you eventually get used to it. I myself am hoping for a 3rd Season; I'm really curious as to what will happen.

That's unfortunate about Eureka 7 AO, I thought it would be nice to return to that world again. I may have to cancel if it isn't any good.

I can't decide on whether or not to get A Certain Scientific Railgun at Amazon or not. I want the series, but I don't want to have the same thing happen with it that did with Panty & Stocking (Bought the dvds because they didn't have the rights to release the blus, then they released it on blu ray shortly afterwards).

bread's done
Back