Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I don't think it's been completely mentioned, here's a link to all the Funimation stuff on sale at Amazon(they're calling it a Comic-con sale):

http://astore.amazon.com/funimation_store-20

Trying to figure wtf happened with Cat Planet Cuties. The price jumped $25 when the sale started(was $33, now $58).

Yeah, then it might a miscategorized return. Because all my returns go to that one facility to be processed.
Thanks for that link. It's nice to see another fan of Detective Conan/Case Closed.

Hellsing for $17.49 is tempting. I saw the first four episodes and enjoyed them - this coming from someone that hates vampire stories.

Would you guys recommend the Fullmetal Alchemist OVA's?

Customer service was up to par as always for me once the rep understood that it was suppost to be a new item. The problem was how someone in packing could blantly mistake this was a new item where it clearly wasn't. That and the QC in packing dept. seems to be on downward slide. While this is only the second return this year I've had with them, I've received more than one package that was small for the contents just jammed filled to the brim, with no packing what so ever.

Yeah thats what I think maybe happened. Lexington KY I think.

Yeah unfortunately. Their still a hell of lot better than Best Buy though.
I never had a bb issue yet knock on wood. amazon fails me lately 15-20% of the time... fulfilled by amazon aka awd and other ones as well as sold by amazon. I only order if it has prime enabled. I ordered 1000+ things last 6 months so i notice it went down hill bad... sad amazon ruled for so long hope they wakeup.

Trying to figure out, is Murder Princess worth $10.49? I've seen it in a few previous sales, but never grabbed it. The animation style reminds me of that Disgaea anime(which I hated), but it seems like it has a interesting story.

Personally, I find it funnier that Steins:Gate Part 1 is on sale for $61. And that Eva 1.01 is more expensive than 1.11
Steins: Gate Pt. 1 is that price because it's what a 3rd party seller(fulfilled by Amazon) is wanting to charge. Amazon's stock of it is on backorder, but is still listed for $29.49 if you can wait until they get more in.

Kanye2000 nailed it with Eva 1.01. 1.01 is out of print(due to 1.11 being released). So what is out there is just old stock, which I guess Amazon thinks that it means to not lower the price. Funny thing is that Rightstuf is selling 1.01 on Amazon(under the "Shawnek" seller name) for $2.02 brand new(+ $3.99 shipping).

Trying to figure out, is Murder Princess worth $10.49? I've seen it in a few previous sales, but never grabbed it. The animation style reminds me of that Disgaea anime(which I hated), but it seems like it has a interesting story.
I have heard that it is OK, though the series didn't take full advantage of the premise.

It has a simmilar character design to disgaea, but the tone is completely differnt. From what I remember, I saw it a good 4 years ago, Murder Princess never gets as cool as it should have been. It is also more ambitious than it's 6 episodes allow. There were just too many looes ends for me to really like the series. Annimation was solid, not great.

Amazon Deal of the Day is Anime today.  All blu with one exception.  Good prices on Fullmetal Alchemist, cheaper than their prices back in November of last year.  Also Dragon Ball at what I assume are good prices per season, Hellsing Ultimate (I'm holding off on this personally, until the final OVA is out), and the lowest I have seen for Black Lagoon.

Finally got the two Full Metal Alchemist blu-ray sets. Been kicking myself for missing the under $30 deal last time around for them, but since this one is even cheaper then I guess all is well in the end. :) Also picked up the second Hellsing Ultimate set since I already have the first. Great deals! 

Already own Dragonball and FMA. Tempted to get Black Lagoon, but I still want to hold out for the Blu-ray-only release, with hopefully non-sucky coverart.

Amazon Deal of the Day is Anime today. All blu with one exception. Good prices on Fullmetal Alchemist, cheaper than their prices back in November of last year. Also Dragon Ball at what I assume are good prices per season, Hellsing Ultimate (I'm holding off on this personally, until the final OVA is out), and the lowest I have seen for Black Lagoon.
The lowest I've ever seen the Dragon Ball season sets go for is $15 before this. Usually they hover around $20.

It has a simmilar character design to disgaea, but the tone is completely differnt. From what I remember, I saw it a good 4 years ago, Murder Princess never gets as cool as it should have been. It is also more ambitious than it's 6 episodes allow. There were just too many looes ends for me to really like the series. Annimation was solid, not great.
Thanks. Sounds like something to purchase when there's absolutely nothing else that I want on Amazon.

Decided to use the money I was considering to use on it and bought the 2 DVD sets of Squid Girl from Warehouse Deals for $16.41 together instead(Pt. 1 was $5.08 & Pt. 2 was $11.33).

Traded in my FMA DVD sets I got from Best Buy @ $16.99 each for ~$29 total and got the blu-ray sets. It essentially makes each part roughly $8 to upgrade, which is not bad. I'm also tempted by the Hellsing Ultimate sets, but I'm quite sure Funi will make a complete version when they finish vol. 9 and 10. 

Honestly can't decide if I want to pick up Black Lagoon. I don't really think it looks that good, but it is so damn cheap!

Honestly can't decide if I want to pick up Black Lagoon. I don't really think it looks that good, but it is so damn cheap!
This might come across as sounding pretentious, but I've learned to never let a deal compel you to buy something that you weren't interested in buying before. Don't let the deal control you!

:roll:

This might come across as sounding pretentious, but I've learned to never let a deal compel you to buy something that you weren't interested in buying before. Don't let the deal control you!

I honestly try to live by that rule, but sometimes its hard too! DEALS TOO STRONG!!!! Regardless I think I'm going to just pretend I didn't see anything and pass on this one..... :whee:

Words to live by. However, this is Black Lagoon we're talking about. And for under $20? Blu-ray, I might add. I say this is one exception where anyone on the fence should pick this anime up immediately.

Yeah, as I said in my post, I am just going to wait on Hellsing until they are all released.  Has funi actually even licensed the final 2 or not yet?  I assume they will get them, as they are worth more to them than they would be to any other licensors.

Anyways, I was incorrect in my post earlier, and I didn't notice ALL of the Dragon Ball sets were blu, not just the movie.  Color scheme threw me off on that one, I guess.  I assume based on the cancellation of the Z sets that a future blu set is unlikely anyways?

Also, RightStuf has just started their summer sale.  I saw no deals in a brief search, but if somebody more diligent than I sees something, feel free to post it here.  Basically just 10% off the in-stock prices on most items, with certain exclusions.

Eh, it depends. OG DB doesn't sell as well as Z or GT so they would have to calculate if spending money to restore DB is worth the drop in profits.

This is assuming they do eventually resume releasing Z on Blu-ray.

Either way, I can pretty much guarentee Phase 3 of the MCU is coming before DB Blu-rays.

Yeah, I figured as much so I went ahead and ordered the lot.  One question, it looks like Goku ages based on the season covers, but he looks young in all of the movies.  What order should I watch the movies in?  

The movies are retellings of the Pilaf, Roshi Training, and Tenkaichi Budokai/Tien arcs. They are not in continuity with the series. Fun fact: Movie 2 was FUNi's first ever in-house dub.

The 4th movie is a 10th Anniversary movie that combines the early Pilaf arc with the Red Ribbon arc.

Augh, bit on Black Lagoon. Now I need to figure out what to do with the dvd's, can't sell them because I'm not giving up the Steelbook, lol.

Put the Blu-rays in them and either sell the discs only or use them with empty cases for Upgrade and Save. I do that all the time.

Looks like the Dragon Ball sets no longer come with the character/episode booklets.  Boo!  It feels like they are missing something since they still have the flap to hold them in.  I guess if anybody has them and is willing to sell them for a reasonable price, let me know.  I'm not going to return them or anything, just disappointing.  Funimation says it was a going green measure.  While the box itself is made out of an unnecessary amount of cardboard.

Exactly. I would love a reworked edition (they could easily make either 5 4-disc sets or 4 6-disc sets) in the same kind of packaging as FUNi's other releases. Digipaks are awful.

Yea, MovieMars tends to heavily discount random titles at random times. I have gotten many new boxsets, both anime and non-anime, for under $15, many of them newly released.

Indeed, but they usually don't have things like this in bunches so I generally don't post them since if there's only 1 I'd probably would've bought it. :p

The Gamestop in Northridge, CA had a used bluray stand up.

I was surprised to find Tales of Vesperia: First Strike blu preowned for $9.99, so I grabbed it. They only had one copy.

It seems brand spankin' new, as if they just ripped off the shrinkwrap and put price stickers on it.

The Gamestop in Northridge, CA had a used bluray stand up.

I was surprised to find Tales of Vesperia: First Strike blu preowned for $9.99, so I grabbed it. They only had one copy.

It seems brand spankin' new, as if they just ripped off the shrinkwrap and put price stickers on it.
I talked to an Employee and he said that they aren't allowed to sell Blu Rays new. So they just take them out of the shrink wrap and sell them "used".

I talked to an Employee and he said that they aren't allowed to sell Blu Rays new. So they just take them out of the shrink wrap and sell them "used".
Yeah that's what it seemed like, but thanks for confirming.

Do you know if they carry any other titles worth mentioning?

Edit: Oh you can just buy it online

Here's their list: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/blu-ray-disc?nav=1350-8e

Here's Tales of Vesperia: http://www.gamestop.com/blu-ray-disc/movies-tv/tales-of-vesperia-the-first-strike/109305

Ordered Online Tales of Vesperia: First Strike (Blu-ray) $17 Returned & Re-buy used $5 off trade knocked down $12 plus taxes ;)
wut

Edit: OH you bought it at Best Buy with Upgrade and Save. I was confused for a second because it was after my post about Tales of Vesperia blu for $9.99 at GameStop.

If we're adding Upgrade and Save to the discussion, you can do an Express Lane purchase (just tell them that there's an option for Override -> Upgrade) to pick up Casshern Sins complete series blu for $10.99 after U&S.

bread's done
Back