Pokemon X/Y Hardcover guide 11.99 - 40% off - Paperback 22.23

gomikeoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Not sure if theres a post on here about this but the hardcover guide is avail for much much cheaper than the paper guide.

Each guide (paper or hardcover) comes with a pokemon cleaning cloth as well for your 3ds! Guide is also 400+ pages.

I know pokemon is one of those games I need a guide desperately for, especially after the mainline story so I can look for item locations/pokemon locations.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Official-Region-Guidebook-Strategy/dp/0804161992/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't understand why the guide comes out 4 days after the game... Think they did this w/ a LE guide of KH 1.5 as well. Makes no sense.

Not sure if theres a post on here about this but the hardcover guide is avail for much much cheaper than the paper guide.

Each guide (paper or hardcover) comes with a pokemon cleaning cloth as well for your 3ds! Guide is also 400+ pages.

I know pokemon is one of those games I need a guide desperately for, especially after the mainline story so I can look for item locations/pokemon locations.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Official-Region-Guidebook-Strategy/dp/0804161992/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
This was posted about a month ago here on CAG and that's when I pre ordered it but I think it was a good idea for you to post it again due to the fact many people probably didn't see it. That's a great price for a hardcover Strategy guide. Thanks for posting

So is this guide a full guide? Or just one of those half versions that just covers the basics of the game? I'm wondering because of the cheap price and someone mentioned, on the previous thread about this deal, that it may be only a quick guide.

If not, I am definitely gonna order this!!!

I'm still thinking the "hardcover" is the pocket-sized version, and the "softcover" is the full-sized. I mean hell, just look at teh images for both of them.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. Gamestop only has the smaller-looking one, but the description also calls it hardcover.

EDIT 2: ALRIGHT! I figured it out. The "hardcover" is the US release, the "softcover" is the British release. The data on the various non-Amazon stores on both sides of the water match up with this.

So this is a full 400 page guide because the hardcover looks like a mini pocket one
Someone please explain this ongoing logic to me? Is it just a lack of reading the listing and making assumptions from a poor rendering showing a hardcover book in a dust jacket?

It's listed as 416 pages and 1.3 pounds which is not going to be pocket sized. If they send you anything else than you complain until they send you the proper guide at that price.

Someone please explain this ongoing logic to me? Is it just a lack of reading the listing and making assumptions from a poor rendering showing a hardcover book in a dust jacket?

It's listed as 416 pages and 1.3 pounds which is not going to be pocket sized. If they send you anything else than you complain until they send you the proper guide at that price.
Thanks for the information the snide comments on top of it was really appreciated =)

I am insanely confused on this. Why is the softcover $10 more? Is that the full guide?

Amazon has it pictured as a full guide with the hardcover as the pocket guide.

And then pokemon guides are usually split between a pokedex and a game guide.

Thanks for the information the snide comments on top of it was really appreciated =)
Sorry, it wasn't directed at you specifically. This is just the third or the fourth thread where this comes up every page. If someone's seeing something I'm not then I want to know what it is so I can cancel my pre-order.

Amazon has it pictured as a full guide with the hardcover as the pocket guide.
Where are you seeing this? The picture on the hardcover one is the same cover art render as the softcover but in dust jacket form.

Pass. Is Pok´emon Company doing an official guide for these? I have not seen anything, but usually I thought they did.
... Prima Games has always published the official guides. I still have the Pokemon Yellow guide from 1999 or 2000 or whenever.

... Prima Games has always published the official guides. I still have the Pokemon Yellow guide from 1999 or 2000 or whenever.
Nintendo Power used to have their own guide brand, but since that doesn't exist, Prima it is! At least we are still getting guides, since ya know, internet and all, people are running to stores for hints anymore.

Sorry, it wasn't directed at you specifically. This is just the third or the fourth thread where this comes up every page. If someone's seeing something I'm not then I want to know what it is so I can cancel my pre-order.

Where are you seeing this? The picture on the hardcover one is the same cover art render as the softcover but in dust jacket form.
15zicmx.jpg

Are these the same amount of pages? Is one the full guide and one is just half the guide? Is this an error?

These clearly aren't the same books hardcover or not.

Release date is October 16, 2013 for the strategy guide yet stores will have it day and day with the game.

All sorts of red flags and no answers. Being so close to release, perhaps its best I go the internet guide route.

Not in the Pokemon market personally but this thread did interest me as it seemed like a very low price for a harcover strategy guide at launch with no accompanying purchase required. Something is def amiss here. There is no way a pocket size hard cover book has 416 pages. Nor is a 416 page full size hard cover book going to weigh barely over a pound lol. Something is wrong with the listing/description I think it is safe to say. It is reasonable for people to question what they are getting here.

I did some googling on the ISBN number. GameFAQs has this listed as:

Pokemon X & Pokemon Y: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide [Hardcover] by Stephen Stratton (Author)
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Prima Games (Oct 12 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0804161992
ISBN-13: 978-0804161992

• A complete walkthrough of all the Gym Badges and through the Hall of Fame!

• Detailed information on all the new game features, from Sky Battles and Horde Encounters to Super Training and Pokémon-Amie!

• A guide to where to find hidden items, TMs and HMs, and special Pokémon—with a location index!

• Hints on the best ways to use Roller Skates, ride Pokémon, and challenge Gym Leaders!

• A super effective Pokémon screen cleaner to keep your Nintendo 3DS system looking sharp!

• Helpful tips and tricks for getting the most out of the PSS and online play!

• An updated type matchup chart that includes the all-new Fairy type!

• Pullout map to guide you through the Kalos region!

Some interesting things to note first about the book specifics:

Only one edition. There is no paperback or regular edition, nor is this one considered a collector's edition. It's a pocket-sized, hardcover guide with a dust jacket (think of the Animal Crossing: New Leaf guide, or the upcoming Mario & Luigi: Dream Team guide, but with a hardcover). Also, disregard the page count; 256 pages is a stock estimate page count Prima often uses when the final page count has not yet been determined.

It is slated for a day-and-date release with the game in North America. Many people were speculating that a guide may not be available until later, since our guides are direct translations of the Japanese guides, which are not released until the months following the game's release. We are getting the guide on day one because...

It is not being written or compiled by The Pokémon Company, Int'l. The team that has translated the official guides from Japanese to English and several European languages ever since Pokémon Emerald Version (and the only team to bring us guides since Pokémon Platinum Version) does not appear to be behind this guide. Instead, Stephen Stratton, longtime head author of Nintendo guides for Prima, is taking the helm. (His pedigree includes guides for Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda.)

The new product description also confirms some aspects of the game (there will be a Hall of Fame), and gives us the first mention of the term...

Super Training. Listed in the same breath as the other new features (Sky Battles, Horde Encounters and Pokémon-Amie) is "Super Training." Could this be the new "more visible EV method" (referred to in another recent post as taking place at the "Tame Park")? When Pokémon-Amie was announced, a lot of people assumed that that was the new method, but Super Training sounds more appropriate.

Edit: I just checked Bowker and they have the same info as GameFAQs 

Yeah, I'm glad they revamped EVs and such. That was the one thing turning me off from finishing the game and doing postgame content in every single iteration. Super Training looks boring as hell, but it's a better concept than EV grinding.

Wonder if they did anything with IVs.

And yes, it definitely looks pocket-sized. That was my assumption all along.

Does anyone have an estimated delivery date? I think when I ordered it a few days ago it said 10/16, but now it looks like they don't know and I'll get an email when they figure it out.

I usually avoid strategy guides because I want to figure out all of a game's secrets by myself when it comes to the story.  However, does anyone have any experience with using strategy guides on the competitive side of pokemon when it comes to previous entries in the series?  Are they really helpful?

Yeah I don't understand why the guide comes out 4 days after the game... Think they did this w/ a LE guide of KH 1.5 as well. Makes no sense.
As far as I know the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 guide isn't even out yet. I don't know why Prima's taking so long to release their guides.

I usually avoid strategy guides because I want to figure out all of a game's secrets by myself when it comes to the story. However, does anyone have any experience with using strategy guides on the competitive side of pokemon when it comes to previous entries in the series? Are they really helpful?
If you wanted to get into Competitive Pokemon you might want to hit Smogon's forums up for some help. They have a few guides on EVing and IVing pokemon as well as what Pokemon fair well against others and whatnot. Generally, the strategy guides don't have that in depth of an explanation behind the competitive portion of Pokemon, although I can't say for certain that there won't be one in the upcoming X and Y guides.

Anyone else get an email saying it was pushed back till the 22nd?

The heck is the point of buying it if the game will be out 10+ days earlier.....

Anyone else get an email saying it was pushed back till the 22nd?

The heck is the point of buying it if the game will be out 10+ days earlier.....
I also got that email. I'm hoping its a typo and they meant Oct 12, instead of 22. But I've been to busy to contact CS about it.

They're telling me estimated delivery on *Nov* 22nd! I'd placed the order earlier today, just got the update email.

If you wanted to get into Competitive Pokemon you might want to hit Smogon's forums up for some help. They have a few guides on EVing and IVing pokemon as well as what Pokemon fair well against others and whatnot. Generally, the strategy guides don't have that in depth of an explanation behind the competitive portion of Pokemon, although I can't say for certain that there won't be one in the upcoming X and Y guides.[/quote]

Thanks... I think I'll just check out those forums and save a few bucks. I appreciate the answer.

Edit: On a side note I totally used the quoting feature incorrectly....

I mostly get the guides for the detailed maps/item locations/pokemon locations. The fact its a hard cover and only 12$ is an added bonus

I've got it preordered due to the cheap price, and am actually kinda glad for the delay as it'll allow us to confirm just what the hell this is.  Is it a pocket guide?  Is it actually 400+ pages?  Is it different from the soft cover guide?

I was thinking about doing a PM at BBY when I pick up a 2DS and a copy of X/Y this Saturday but it says release date 10/15. I wonder what the actual realese date of this guide is.

Like... I hope GS has this tomorrow like their website says. They got the Disgaea D2 guide in stock and they're the only place with it right now. My NIS Store orders got delayed, and Amazon doesn't have them in either. WTF :/

Gotta pick up my 2 copies first thing in the morning from TRU then head to GS for the guide. East Coast, so if no 1 else gives an update I'll let you guys know wtf the guide is if they're selling it.

Yeah, still a bit salty about D2s guide when I coulda just gotten at GS.

Either way im about 90% sure im gonna cancel my X and Y guide, doubt id see it for atleast a week after launch

GS won't have the guides tomorrow. All the stores I asked said the same thing. They were notified by corporate that since the guides are coming in around Tuesday, people who wanted the discount for purchasing the guide w/ game should hold onto the receipt and do a return/rebuy when they get the guides.

Suckssss :/

bread's done
Back