* * * * * 20 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#32371 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:44 AM

Running out of games was inevitable for Humble.

Eh, I don't feel like this should be an issue. I feel like they release way less bundles than they did in their golden age days, where they always had bundles every two weeks in addition to weekly bundles, and the biweekly bundles were usually pretty damn good (and sometimes the weekly ones weren't too shabby either). Right now typically the only bundle worth anything is their monthly. Their weekly bundles are typically either crap, or recycled games, and it's not unusual for them to skip a week or do software bundles or console bundles. The monthly is their main game at this point. There are plenty of games out there that seem like prime bundle material (Enter the Gungeon, Divinity Original Sin, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Pyre, Night in the Woods, Downwell, Axiom Verge, Shadow Warrior 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Darkest Dungeon, etc are all games I don't believe have been in a bundle yet), that are all at least a year old I think and in some cases older, which would make for either very nice reveals, and in some cases some pretty good headliners. Maybe it's harder to get people to commit to bundles or something now, I don't know, but I don't think "running out of games" is why we just had a bunch of reveals where everything came out in like 2011 or earlier. Not sure what the issue is but there's plenty of stuff out there to be bundled

#32372 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10504 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:52 AM

Yep, there's tons of decent indie titles that have yet to be bundled over the last couple of years -- IGN/nu-Hamble is just too cheap/lazy/whatever to get them.

#32373 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1020 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:14 AM

Eh, I don't feel like this should be an issue. I feel like they release way less bundles than they did in their golden age days, where they always had bundles every two weeks in addition to weekly bundles, and the biweekly bundles were usually pretty damn good (and sometimes the weekly ones weren't too shabby either). Right now typically the only bundle worth anything is their monthly. Their weekly bundles are typically either crap, or recycled games, and it's not unusual for them to skip a week or do software bundles or console bundles. The monthly is their main game at this point. There are plenty of games out there that seem like prime bundle material (Enter the Gungeon, Divinity Original Sin, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Pyre, Night in the Woods, Downwell, Axiom Verge, Shadow Warrior 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Darkest Dungeon, etc are all games I don't believe have been in a bundle yet), that are all at least a year old I think and in some cases older, which would make for either very nice reveals, and in some cases some pretty good headliners. Maybe it's harder to get people to commit to bundles or something now, I don't know, but I don't think "running out of games" is why we just had a bunch of reveals where everything came out in like 2011 or earlier. Not sure what the issue is but there's plenty of stuff out there to be bundled

Yep, there's tons of decent indie titles that have yet to be bundled over the last couple of years -- IGN/nu-Hamble is just too cheap/lazy/whatever to get them.

I believe that the quality has taken a hit ever since IGN took over.  Like Pasports and others, there are plenty of games that could be bundled vs Resident Evil Revelations being put in a monthly when it was bundled twice before as an example.  Most of us CAGs could do a decent bundle curation.  Thumbs up on Pyre being suggested and I would add Transistor to that as well (both Supergiant games).  

As mentioned previously, it did not help that MGS was previously bundled and heavily discounted prior.  At this point, I would not be surprised to see Just Cause 3 XL (lowest $5.37 on a site and $6.74 on Steam) headline the monthly for January.

#32374 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:36 AM

I would add Transistor to that as well (both Supergiant games).  

As mentioned previously, it did not help that MGS was previously bundled and heavily discounted prior.  At this point, I would not be surprised to see Just Cause 3 XL (lowest $5.37 on a site and $6.74 on Steam) headline the monthly for January.

Man, I didn't even think of Transistor. Hard to believe that hasn't been bundled after Bastion was in like 287 bundles. 

I'm shocked JC3 hasn't been in a bundle yet, I think it's due to headline a monthly along with some other game, particularly since JC4 is coming out soon.

#32375 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2445 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:38 AM

Given that many bundle sites have gone away and what's left isn't nearly as good as the old days, I think game makers and publishers don't see as much value in indie bundles as they used to. It is why you see a lot more repeats, lesser quality games and such. Bundles have mostly run its course.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

#32376 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:09 AM

Given that many bundle sites have gone away and what's left isn't nearly as good as the old days, I think game makers and publishers don't see as much value in indie bundles as they used to. It is why you see a lot more repeats, lesser quality games and such. Bundles have mostly run its course.

THis is the most likely explanation imo. In addition to worse bundles, sales have gotten worse. I think people have just readjusted their approach to how they sell their games in general, whether it be in bundles or on steam or whatever

#32377 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5445 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

THis is the most likely explanation imo. In addition to worse bundles, sales have gotten worse. I think people have just readjusted their approach to how they sell their games in general, whether it be in bundles or on steam or whatever

While this is all true, I think Valve can share the blame as well. Look at the kind and quantity of garbage that they've allowed onto Steam by opening the proverbial floodgates. Because the quality of the average "indie" game has declined dramatically, there are fewer things that are worth putting in bundles. I wouldn't say that they're exactly running out of games, but is a bundle that features Sniper Elite and RE: Revelations better or worse than one that features Incel Clicker and ULTIMATE HARDBASS DEFENCE? The fact that there simply are more objectively bad games on Steam than in past years has to have some effect on the process of finding and securing keys for games for bundles. 

#32378 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

While this is all true, I think Valve can share the blame as well. Look at the kind and quantity of garbage that they've allowed onto Steam by opening the proverbial floodgates. Because the quality of the average "indie" game has declined dramatically, there are fewer things that are worth putting in bundles. I wouldn't say that they're exactly running out of games, but is a bundle that features Sniper Elite and RE: Revelations better or worse than one that features Incel Clicker and ULTIMATE HARDBASS DEFENCE? The fact that there simply are more objectively bad games on Steam than in past years has to have some effect on the process of finding and securing keys for games for bundles. 

I don't think this is the case at all. I don't see what Steam being overflowed with shitty games has to do with Humble not getting renown indie games in their bundles. It's not like nobody knows what Darkest Dungeon is because Steam is being saturated with clicker games and asset flip specials. Maybe there's a connection but I don't see it. 

#32379 spoderman  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

I don't think this is the case at all. I don't see what Steam being overflowed with shitty games has to do with Humble not getting renown indie games in their bundles. It's not like nobody knows what Darkest Dungeon is because Steam is being saturated with clicker games and asset flip specials. Maybe there's a connection but I don't see it. 

It might matter more for smaller bundle sites, since it's harder to sift through all the crap to find the gems. Shouldn't matter at all for Humble though. I wouldn't be surprised if some devs contact them first than the other way around.

I think this is just a case of Humble being cheap/lazy and being in desperate times. A lot of their staff got laid off a while back and the IGN takeover while profitable to them probably didn't help the actual business.

#32380 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4759 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

Unlocks for this month are laughable and continue to demonstrate that humble is breaking its rule about not having games in monthly previously bundled.  While the overall MSRP value is supposedly higher than last couple of months, plenty of people have pointed out the many of the games have been heavily discounted.  Overall, yes I got $12 worth of games but feel meh about the unlocks.  Sorry but I could easily curate better.

Regarding December, this is tough for me as I admit that MGS is a highly praised game and Cities Skyline is a well received city builder.  Both have been cheap/discounted.  MGS even had a couple of GMG bundles (one for $4 which had all 3 games) lately that should have told me not to buy and wait for the humble bundle.

I was hoping that December would have had a better early unlock i.e. Dying Light, Hellblade, something.  No Mans Sky will be later as the updates have helped the game.  Here is hoping that the unlocks for December are good and that we have a great winter sale.

The "rule" about no rebundles in the monthly was broken by the second monthly.

What?  Of course not.  It's all IGN's fault.

#32381 HBX   Let That Boy Cook CAGiversary!   1036 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:33 PM

Some of the surprise unlocks have been mediocre/re-bundles. Resident Evil Revelations was already bundled before, for example. American Truck Simulator last month was a nice one though. And definitely surprised Just Cause 3 hasn't appeared in a Monthly yet, given Square Enix's tendency to put their games in them.

I hope that Yakuza 0 is one of the headliners for a future month soon-ish. Probably too new though. Have any games published by Microsoft ended up in a Monthly yet?

#32382 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7624 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

Some of the surprise unlocks have been mediocre/re-bundles. Resident Evil Revelations was already bundled before, for example. American Truck Simulator last month was a nice one though. And definitely surprised Just Cause 3 hasn't appeared in a Monthly yet, given Square Enix's tendency to put their games in them.

I hope that Yakuza 0 is one of the headliners for a future month soon-ish. Probably too new though. Have any games published by Microsoft ended up in a Monthly yet?

Quantum Break.

#32383 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10858 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

Can't wait to find our what the next three games are in two weeks.  You just know this is a "Oh, crap... we need to lure them in with some more games" sort of Monthly.

#32384 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:19 AM

Can't wait to find our what the next three games are in two weeks. You just know this is a "Oh, crap... we need to lure them in with some more games" sort of Monthly.

That would be cool, hopefully it's something rare like Shadow of Mordor!!

#32385 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:34 AM

That would be cool, hopefully it's something rare like Shadow of Mordor!!

i'm hoping for a hot new AAA title like assassins creed brotherhood

#32386 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:24 AM

Good call! I hope MysterD drops by and leaves a 10 page dissertation on what the new reveal should be, that would be awesome!

#32387 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1302 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:23 AM

Hey I just started playing this the other day and its pretty good!

#32388 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:24 AM

Hey I just started playing this the other day and its pretty good!

damn really? it's only 7 years old man, should've waited for a bundle #fakecag

#32389 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2100 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

Those 80s digital comics bundle is looking pretty tempting.

#32390 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24376 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

Good call! I hope MysterD drops by and leaves a 10 page dissertation on what the new reveal should be, that would be awesome!

Red Dead Redemption 1: PC Remaster.

#32391 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1302 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

damn really? it's only 7 years old man, should've waited for a bundle #fakecag

I'm currently on page 3 of 10 of my review that I know you're all dying to hear. I'm making sure to include all the important info like vramz and the optimal hertz and refresh rate. If I have time I may write another review on the content dlc too.

#32392 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5422 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

Those 80s digital comics bundle is looking pretty tempting.

Just so you know the GI Joe and Transformers Classics classic don't come close to covering all of what Marvel put out.  GI Joe Classic itself is at least 18 volumes long.

#32393 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1598 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Humble Warhammer Bundle

$1+:

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition

Talisman: Digital Edition

Talisman - The Blood Moon Expansion

Talisman - The Harbinger Expansion

Talisman - The Sacred Pool Expansion

BTA:

Wahammer: End Times - Vermintide

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Collection

Blood Bowl 2

$12+:

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Stromdorf

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

#32394 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9111 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

That bundle is a pass for me.

#32395 Adrian.  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

Wasn't Space Marine free on Humble a few months ago? Now it's locked behind the Middle tier.

#32396 HBX   Let That Boy Cook CAGiversary!   1036 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

Vermintide 1 has been bundled so many times already. Should have been in the dollar tier. Somehow I don't have it but not sure if there's any point of having it now, as a multiplayer heavy game with a low player count that's been replaced by a sequel. I'm guessing the second one is going to be a headliner for a Humble Monthly soon, given that's how the bundling journey of the first game began.

#32397 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

Humble Warhammer Bundle

$1+:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition
Talisman: Digital Edition
Talisman - The Blood Moon Expansion
Talisman - The Harbinger Expansion
Talisman - The Sacred Pool Expansion

BTA:
Wahammer: End Times - Vermintide
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Collection
Blood Bowl 2

$12+:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Stromdorf
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Talisman without the season pass... Hell-to-the-no...

#32398 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24376 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:14 PM

So, is Dawn of War 3 any good?

#32399 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4082 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:54 AM

DoW3 was an early monthly unlock with quantum break and the long dark.

Tried the beta some time ago and was... Good. Still hasn't played the final version

#32400 synnarc   Lord of the VRAM CAGiversary!   1551 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

So, is Dawn of War 3 any good?

It's really good actually.