* * * * * 21 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#34411 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8433 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:19 PM

I don't wanna be that guy, but there are some repeats from the Australian Fire bundle in the COVID-19 bundle.

#34412 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1450 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

I keep waiting for things to go back to the way they were and then I check the new Humble Monthly and realize that this is the new normal.

#34413 captbrannigan  

captbrannigan

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:39 AM

I searched the thread a bit but I'm still a bit confused.

I prepaid for a year of Humble Choice Premium. If I buy the Covid Bundle, will it give me a code for HC I can gift to a friend? If I buy the bundle on an alt account, can I gift the HC sub to myself for a free month?

#34414 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1515 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:14 AM

I searched the thread a bit but I'm still a bit confused.

I prepaid for a year of Humble Choice Premium. If I buy the Covid Bundle, will it give me a code for HC I can gift to a friend? If I buy the bundle on an alt account, can I gift the HC sub to myself for a free month?

I bought it on an alt account and gifted my main account the free month. If you buy the bundle on your main you won't get the free month at all.

#34415 captbrannigan  

captbrannigan

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:29 AM

I bought it on an alt account and gifted my main account the free month. If you buy the bundle on your main you won't get the free month at all.

Thanks!

#34416 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8433 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

That was very smart.  How did you redeem the free month?  Do they email you a code that you can then redeem for it?  Thanks.

#34417 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1515 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:07 PM

That was very smart. How did you redeem the free month? Do they email you a code that you can then redeem for it? Thanks.

I selected the option to receive a gift link for the month of Choice. Then I logged back into my main account and clicked the link in my email.

#34418 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1607 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

I see glowing reviews for Turok and Turok 2 on steam. Is this because of people who loved the originals and have nostalgia and how well the remasters were done? Or is the game play really that good for today's standards? I am trying to figure out if I want to use my choices for those two games.

Thanks

#34419 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3319 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:45 PM

Reported to Hamble!

#34420 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:50 PM

I see glowing reviews for Turok and Turok 2 on steam. Is this because of people who loved the originals and have nostalgia and how well the remasters were done? Or is the game play really that good for today's standards? I am trying to figure out if I want to use my choices for those two games.

Thanks

I understand that this is gonna come across as rude, but it's not intended that way. You said "choices," but it's only Turok 2 that you can choose from. This isn't for the bundle as far as I can tell. But if it IS, then you're getting double the value, and it's only 1 choice. I'd choose it based on that alone. Otherwise, you'd have to weigh your preferences for any remaining single choice between this fun-looking game, some 2deep4u puzzlers, and an antiquated sim. I'm assuming those are the only ones that aren't givens on what to take from this monthly.

As far as the positive reviews go, I'd say it's the former. People are buying the game because it's Turok, ergo nostalgia, and the remaster just happens to be better than the original. So it's a great niche nostalgia game, rather than a great game that can compete with today's great games, like Horizon: Zero Dawn.

#34421 ToddManG   The one with the cape CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

I understand that this is gonna come across as rude, but it's not intended that way. You said "choices," but it's only Turok 2 that you can choose from. This isn't for the bundle as far as I can tell. But if it IS, then you're getting double the value, and it's only 1 choice. I'd choose it based on that alone. Otherwise, you'd have to weigh your preferences for any remaining single choice between this fun-looking game, some 2deep4u puzzlers, and an antiquated sim. I'm assuming those are the only ones that aren't givens on what to take from this monthly.

As far as the positive reviews go, I'd say it's the former. People are buying the game because it's Turok, ergo nostalgia, and the remaster just happens to be better than the original. So it's a great niche nostalgia game, rather than a great game that can compete with today's great games, like Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I read it as using a March choice for turok and an April choice for turok 2.

I'm in the same boat with Duke 3d - yes it looks slightly better and there are some new levels, but am I really going to enjoy replaying a game I spent a bunch of time with in high school? It's less than 2 bucks but still... FPS specifically have made a lot of advancements in the past 20yrs and this seems like it would be a nostalgia play rather than an enjoyment play.

#34422 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

I'm in the same boat with Duke 3d - yes it looks slightly better and there are some new levels, but am I really going to enjoy replaying a game I spent a bunch of time with in high school? It's less than 2 bucks but still... FPS specifically have made a lot of advancements in the past 20yrs and this seems like it would be a nostalgia play rather than an enjoyment play.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Didn't think they had unused choices from last month.

Yeah, if you're sitting on old choices and aren't into these for the nostalgia factor, then you could probably find something else.

#34423 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26639 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Has it really been an advancement though? [shrug]

Does every new FPS...need to just copy others and/or not do much to innovate/spin things on the type of FPS game/genre they're doing?

I dunno 'bout you...but ever since STALKER, Far Cry 2 (and newer), Borderlands, BF's SP campaigns, COD campaigns - there's so many copycats of these games and their styles.

There are now so many linear-as-hell corridor-style military FPS's out there (i.e. COD SP campaigns since COD1 and BF games' SP campaign since BF3) and now so many FPS's out there doing the open-world thing (STALKER, Far Cry, Homefront: The Revolution) and/or ARPG-type of thing (Borderlands, Division series, etc)....that I just really need these old-school style games w/ a VERY much different design & approach.

I enjoyed DN3D 20's new levels in Episode 5 and that old-school style w/ no regen health, no open-world, no ARPG-elements - sure, the new episode took me only 4.5 hours (and might take others 2-4 hours)....but it never overstayed its welcome and was a blast most of the way through.

One of the best modern FPS's that I've played was DOOM 2016...and that basically followed a lot of the old design from old DOOM titles and Serious Sam titles. A nice fresh of breath air, in today's FPS climate.

EDIT:

I just finished-up Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which has a more open-world approach and ARPG-approach. And, it's not for the best...with repetitive side-quests, poor autosave slots/lack of some autosave spots, a few jumping puzzles, and the worst story/character development in a modern Wolfenstein game.  Yeah, this is a decent game - but it's certainly got some issues. And even given that, it's also probably the worst game in the recent Wolfenstein series (i.e. RTCW and newer).

I've tried some of RAGE 2...and yeah, that game ain't doing it for me much either. The open-world thing is too much like Far Cry, Mad Max, and other Avalanche titles. Feels like I'm running from outpost-to-outpost, killing enemies....and not much more than that. It's really lacking story & character development - like most Avalanache games.

#34424 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5578 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

Reported to Hamble!

Don’t be absurd, you really think Humble’s going to do anything about it?

You need to report him to Playfire if you want something to get done about it.

#34425 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1336 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

I played maybe 20 minutes of Turok last month before getting my fill. I mean, it's definitely more Turok, and in HD too. So if that's all you want then that's what you get  But I was never big on Turok to begin with and this remaster certainly doesn't change that. Controls feel really rough. Never had any nostalgia for the game, rented it maybe once or twice from Blockbuster 20+ years ago. Doom 64 was the N64 shooter that I was always more fond of and although I haven't gotten around to that yet, I would bet that it stands the test of time better between the two.

Also, spent most of the weekend playing Hitman 2 and while I don't think I'm getting that same "Wow" factor that I got from its predecessor, it's still a really damn great game that feels wonderful to explore.

#34426 ToddManG   The one with the cape CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:28 PM

Has it really been an advancement though? [shrug]

Does every new FPS...need to just copy others and/or not do much to innovate/spin things on the type of FPS game/genre they're doing?

I dunno 'bout you...but ever since STALKER, Far Cry 2 (and newer), Borderlands, BF's SP campaigns, COD campaigns - there's so many copycats of these games and their styles.

There are now so many linear-as-hell corridor-style military FPS's out there (i.e. COD SP campaigns since COD1 and BF games' SP campaign since BF3) and now so many FPS's out there doing the open-world thing (STALKER, Far Cry, Homefront: The Revolution) and/or ARPG-type of thing (Borderlands, Division series, etc)....that I just really need these old-school style games w/ a VERY much different design & approach.

I enjoyed DN3D 20's new levels in Episode 5 and that old-school style w/ no regen health, no open-world, no ARPG-elements - sure, the new episode took me only 4.5 hours (and might take others 2-4 hours)....but it never overstayed its welcome and was a blast most of the way through.

One of the best modern FPS's that I've played was DOOM 2016...and that basically followed a lot of the old design from old DOOM titles and Serious Sam titles. A nice fresh of breath air, in today's FPS climate.

EDIT:
I just finished-up Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which has a more open-world approach and ARPG-approach. And, it's not for the best...with repetitive side-quests, poor autosave slots/lack of some autosave spots, a few jumping puzzles, and the worst story/character development in a modern Wolfenstein game.  Yeah, this is a decent game - but it's certainly got some issues. And even given that, it's also probably the worst game in the recent Wolfenstein series (i.e. RTCW and newer).

I've tried some of RAGE 2...and yeah, that game ain't doing it for me much either. The open-world thing is too much like Far Cry, Mad Max, and other Avalanche titles. Feels like I'm running from outpost-to-outpost, killing enemies....and not much more than that. It's really lacking story & character development - like most Avalanache games.

Doom 2016 is a great example of a game sticking to its roots while incorporating modern ideas. It still has that 'doom feel' but fits as a totally modern game.

I agree that not every game has to be open world with unlockable skill trees and vantage points. It makes everything seem the same and the game has to rely on character and story (where many fall short).

#34427 HBX   Let That Boy Cook CAGiversary!   1189 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

I guess no Final Fantasy XV headliner in the works. And Divinity OS 1 and 2 have avoided being bundled as of yet. There are some older, large profile titles that have avoided being in one of these bundles, while more recent releases have ended up being bundled.

#34428 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   910 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:22 PM

I'm not completely sure if I agree that Doom 2016 "sticks true to it's root".

Doom 2016 is amazing, but it feels closer to Serious Sam in terms of arenas and arenas of nonstop monsters spawning. Original Doom feels a bit more open and exploration based with it's small open level designs.

But I do agree it's not trying to be a "modern" game by any means. Fuck modern games

#34429 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8433 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

Doom 2016 is a great example of a game sticking to its roots while incorporating modern ideas. It still has that 'doom feel' but fits as a totally modern game.

I agree that not every game has to be open world with unlockable skill trees and vantage points. It makes everything seem the same and the game has to rely on character and story (where many fall short).

Playing it right now since I can't afford Doom Eternal at the moment.  I think the graphics and the atmosphere what help to keep it interesting.

#34430 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8433 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

I selected the option to receive a gift link for the month of Choice. Then I logged back into my main account and clicked the link in my email.

Trying to figure out if I would get the free month of Choice if I gift the entire bundle to my main account.  I'd like to go ahead and buy it tonight since I anticipate a long day at work tomorrow.  I'm an "essential" worker...who is still not convinced that I'm essential.  But I need money.  :roll:

Edit: Somehow I tried this whole scheme, gifted the entire bundle to my main account because I couldn't figure out how to just send the link to the free month, and didn't get the free month.  Like everything else that I try to do to make my life somewhat bearable, I screwed this up royally.  :bomb:

#34431 zanderlex  

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:19 PM

If anyone got the $30 bundle, I'll swap some older cheap Steam keys for some of the books.

#34432 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1607 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:24 PM

Yeah this is what I meant but did a poor job at it. 

#34433 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Humble Stardock Strategy Bundle

$1+:

Sorcerer King: Rivals

Dead Man's Draw

BTA:

Galactic Civilizations III

Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Expansion Pack

Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion

Galactic Civilizations III - Mega Events DLC

$13+:

Star Control: Origins

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising Expansion

Star Control: Origins - Original Soundtrack

Star Control I and II

Star Control III

Galactic Civilizations III: Intrigue Expansion

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation

Seems that everything in the BTA is one key, as the expansion/DLC all say "Included in Galactic Civilizations III".

#34434 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3310 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:33 PM

Problem is, they treated this GCIII like Crusader Kings.  Even if you buy those (which admittedly are the $20 DLCs) completionists still need another 30-40 invested to gather the rest.

#34435 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:43 AM

Picking games for the Humble Choice, can I leave stuff 'unpicked' after I pay.  That is, if there's a few rando games leftover I'm not sure which ones I want can I just go back later and make the selection or will it fubar me and default or some shit if I don't pick them all on purchase?

#34436 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6044 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

Picking games for the Humble Choice, can I leave stuff 'unpicked' after I pay.  That is, if there's a few rando games leftover I'm not sure which ones I want can I just go back later and make the selection or will it fubar me and default or some shit if I don't pick them all on purchase?

I have whole months waiting for me to make selections...

#34437 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

The new comic bundle is excellent.

Humble Comics Bundle: Creator Spotlight on Jonathan Hickman by Image Comics

$15 for the entirety of East of West makes this worth it, but you're getting pretty much all of Hickman's Image output (save his brand new series).  The one thing to be careful about: I don't think many of his series really have true endings.  That being said, most are still worth reading.

#34438 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8433 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:24 AM

And 17 hours left on the Award Winners game bundle.

https://www.humblebu...gn=tile_index_6

I own everything in the $1 dollar tier, so I'm tempted by Owlboy in the $15 tier, but I'm thinking that it's not worth it.  Thoughts?

#34439 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10556 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:36 AM

I'm almost tempted by Yuppie Psycho for some reason. Like it looks like something i'd play, but at the highest tier though.

#34440 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

I'm almost tempted by Yuppie Psycho for some reason. Like it looks like something i'd play, but at the highest tier though.

Hits too close to home for me, sitting in my house full of high-end stuff I rarely use, making weird noises and then laughing maniacally at how idiotic I am...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humble Bundle, Humble, bundle, steam, indie bundle, pc, mac, linux, drm-free