* * * * - 3 votes

My PS4 Came DOA

#31 jtmarshiii   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

jtmarshiii

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Got mine from Amazon and all I get is a flashing blue light. I switched out 3 HDMI cables I know work and two different TVs. Called Amazon and will be returning it and the games for a refund since they don't have any in stock to replace my POS. I will not be picking one up for awhile now. 

#32 dnhdnh  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Why not contact Amazon first for a replacement?

Free return shipping and just order another one when they come back instock.

Will be faster then having to call, and wait days and days for sony to get your DOA console and eventually send you another one, or fix the DOA and send it back to it.

#33 lovepig78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Amazon reviews almost have a 50% DOA rate..... That can't be a good sign.....

#34 WatchdogXC   Old School Cheapass CAGiversary!   380 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

WatchdogXC

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

As someone who has a bad console I wouldn't put too much stock in that. It's a lot easier to write a bad review if something doesn't work. Most people that have working consoles are probably too busy playing to write a review. If it doesn't work you quickly go online and complain about it.

#35 melokeith   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   316 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

melokeith

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

• mine is scheduled to arrive from Gamestop on Monday.... it was going to be a Christmas present for the family, but now I'm thinking I'd better check it out as that would be a really sad Christmas gift if it's a brick! 
  • question - can I return the bundle to gamestop brick and mortar if it doesn't work?

#36 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22613 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

It wouldn't surprise me a lot of those negs were due to MS fanboys. Sony fanboys will do the same for the X1 launch. 

• mine is scheduled to arrive from Gamestop on Monday.... it was going to be a Christmas present for the family, but now I'm thinking I'd better check it out as that would be a really sad Christmas gift if it's a brick! 
  • question - can I return the bundle to gamestop brick and mortar if it doesn't work?

Yes, you can return online purchases to a store. 

#37 ugadawg239   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   15 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

ugadawg239

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I was able to play for 2 hours before my PS4 shut off on its own.  I turned it back on and couldn't get a video signal on two different tvs and two other HDMI cables that I know work.  I am returning mine to Amazon.  Amazon shipped it pretty awful as well.  My wife said the box was half open and there was barely any packing material.  It must have sloshed around in the box.  The PS4 is nice but unfortunately I got a broken one.  I would get a replacement from Amazon but they are sold out and they don't offer the option to replace  the system with a new one.

#38 ugadawg239   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   15 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

ugadawg239

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Actually, Amazon is sold out and doesn't offere a replacement as an option.

Why not contact Amazon first for a replacement?

Free return shipping and just order another one when they come back instock.

Will be faster then having to call, and wait days and days for sony to get your DOA console and eventually send you another one, or fix the DOA and send it back to it.

#39 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Sucks to hear the stories from those that have had issues with their launch system. The advantage of ponying up the dough at launch is to enjoy that special feeling that only comes once every 5-7 years. And that has been taken away from you. Good luck to those that have been affected.

#40 dnhdnh  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Get a refund from amazon.

Then order another one as soon as it comes instock... or go out to a retail store and buy another one.

Either way it will be much faster then calling sony and sending it out to them.

#41 Fanboygamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Fanboygamer

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm glad I waited on purchasing my ps4 on launch. A family member of mine was bragging about getting his day one and sure enough his came bricked from best buy. He bought the best buy extended warranty but they are sold out and he had to send his in to get a replacement. I can't understand how QC can let all these systems slip through, I know faulty units are apart of launches and acceptable losses but man this is tarnish the Sony brand.

Sure I got a RROD xbox360 but it lasted me a year until it finally died and Microsoft customer support was awesome. I didn't get a refurbished system, they sent me a new model jasper chipset. I think I'll hold off on any "next gen" consoles until after the holidays and holiday return period passes and may consider building a new rig instead of the hassle.

#42 iwannadie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   882 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

iwannadie

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

I just hope they report the cause of the blue light issue. I am just curious what is causing it and how they intend to fix it and make sure future consoles don't have the same problem. 

Something of a side note, I noticed when making one last attempt to get it to work that my surge protector is showing its not grounded. My surge protector has a little ground indicator and once I plug the ps4 in the surge protector indicates bad ground. I tried on multiple surge protectors and different outlets all with the same results but maybe there is something power related going on with the ps4 causing these blue light of death issues...

#43 Dr.Zoidberg   Death by Snu-Snu CAGiversary!   716 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Dr.Zoidberg

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

I really feel bad for anyone who is having any problems with their new PS4. My last PS was a PS2 then I switched teams to Xbox but I don't plan on getting the Xbox one anytime soon, my 360 does all I need for now. I wouldn't wish a bricked launch console on anyone. Hopefully Sony will get it back on track and get everyone gaming ASAP. Good luck to everyone.

#44 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Closed Account   13745 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

was there a ps4 update

#45 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

was there a ps4 update

Yes. There was a Day 1 patch (that was released a couple days before day 1, but whatever, Fuck you)

#46 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3426 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

So I got the blue light of death went into safe mode put it back to factory settings and it works fine. Debating if I should take it back or not.

#47 iwannadie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   882 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

iwannadie

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

So I got the blue light of death went into safe mode put it back to factory settings and it works fine. Debating if I should take it back or not.

See, that is what worries me, we need to know what is causing these issues.

I would return it honestly.

#48 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

What happened to building quality machines? Remember the Super Nintendo? Remember how even after 23 years, they still work as good as they did when they came out of the box?

I get that technology is getting more advanced and with advancement comes more possibilities of problems arising, but come on... I'm sure Sony has been testing the PS4 months before it was even announced to the public and it's still riddled with launch problems.

#49 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

What happened to building quality machines? Remember the Super Nintendo? Remember how even after 23 years, they still work as good as they did when they came out of the box?

I get that technology is getting more advanced and with advancement comes more possibilities of problems arising, but come on... I'm sure Sony has been testing the PS4 months before it was even announced to the public and it's still riddled with launch problems.

The invention of firmware and online play?

I also see a lot of people messing around with the hardware and wonder if that has anything to do with problems.

#50 qcjoe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I know that mine and a buddies came shipped the same way.  Both didnt have any thing protecting the PS4 in the box.  They had the plastic on the bottom, but not on top.  Also the tape on mine was not even put on all the way so the box top was half way open. I was reading a lot of reviews on Amazon and I came across a dude who talked to Sony tech support and they said that the majority of issues are coming from people who bought from Amazon and a few from Gamestop.  Ours are working fine so far so Im thankful for that, but I dont like hearing any one having issues or being DOA.  On the  whole with a million sold its doing well and not a lot of issues percentage wise.

#51 Kickin' Wing   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Kickin' Wing

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Update for my situation: blinking light system going back to Amazon. Bought a new one at BestBuy today and it seems to be working fine …PSN on the other hand  :whee:

#52 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

I know that mine and a buddies came shipped the same way.  Both didnt have any thing protecting the PS4 in the box.  They had the plastic on the bottom, but not on top.  Also the tape on mine was not even put on all the way so the box top was half way open. I was reading a lot of reviews on Amazon and I came across a dude who talked to Sony tech support and they said that the majority of issues are coming from people who bought from Amazon and a few from Gamestop.  Ours are working fine so far so Im thankful for that, but I dont like hearing any one having issues or being DOA.  On the  whole with a million sold its doing well and not a lot of issues percentage wise.

Mine came packaged the same way - system lying flat on the bottom of the box, 2 shitty bubble packers on the top, tape partially opened. You'd think with so many people ordering this $400 item, Amazon would have put more effort in minimizing returns due to poor shipping/possible damages. Good thing my console wasn't damaged and worked out of the box

#53 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

You're just talking mailer box right? the Sony box had Styrofoam and such to protect the system?

#54 iwannadie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   882 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

iwannadie

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

My ps4 came in a box about 4 times thicker than the ps4 packaging, air padding filling all the extra space and the ps4 on the bottom. Would had made more sense to put the ps4 Between the air padding, not stuff it all on One side. I had the standard Amazon tape sealing things up and it looked perfect outside and in. Inside the ps4 packaging there is no polystyrene foam, just cardboard but it seemed packaged well enough with enough 'crush' space around the ps4 to not be an issue.

#55 Eh? What?   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   158 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

My ps4 came in a box about 4 times thicker than the ps4 packaging, air padding filling all the extra space and the ps4 on the bottom. Would had made more sense to put the ps4 Between the air padding, not stuff it all on One side. I had the standard Amazon tape sealing things up and it looked perfect outside and in. Inside the ps4 packaging there is no polystyrene foam, just cardboard but it seemed packaged well enough with enough 'crush' space around the ps4 to not be an issue.

This is exactly how mine was shipped.  I guess I should be grateful Amazon shipped me something in a box at all - if they had a bubble mailer big enough to cram a PS4 into they would have.  Amazon shipping has really gone downhill.

#56 iwannadie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   882 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

iwannadie

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

This is exactly how mine was shipped.  I guess I should be grateful Amazon shipped me something in a box at all - if they had a bubble mailer big enough to cram a PS4 into they would have.  Amazon shipping has really gone downhill.

I keep finding myself going back to amazon to see if they have any in stock and keep seeing the advertisement, "Greatness Awaits", yea it sure does even though I have a ps4 sitting right here, sigh. 

#57 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

You're just talking mailer box right? the Sony box had Styrofoam and such to protect the system?

Are you talking about PS4's packaged and shipped from the Sony site or the actual PS4 box?

#58 Eh? What?   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   158 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

Well I think I can add my PS4 to the pile of returns that Amazon is going to get in the next week or so.  The problem I'm having is that it simply won't read any discs I put in it - I've been trying blu-rays and DVDs.  When I put one in, the system makes intermittent grinding noises, and the disc icon at the top right corner just sits there with the little light circling it endlessly.  I can't tell if the acutal disc is really spinning or not.  I have to hold my finger on the eject sensor before it will eventually spit the disc out, and most of the time I've had to restart the system before it would let me insert another disc.  I've tried putting the PS4 on its side, but that didn't help.  I've even reinitialized the system on the off chance that this is software-related, though this clearly seems like faulty hardware.  It's a shame because the thing works great otherwise, but I have no use for a console that can't read discs.

I'm tempted to just get a refund and wait for a hardware revision at this point.

#59 s0undwav3   Report Lazerbeak! CAGiversary!   470 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Well I also had a PS4 pre-ordered from Amazon.  Amazingly it came in a box triple the size of the PS4.  I tried to get one at Target on launch day but they gave out tickets at 4am (?) and they left them in the display case.  I knew the size of the PS4 box...so when the FedEx guy came I was like...holy hell hope it didn't float around in the box.  Well sure enough the PS4 is sitting at the bottom of the box and there is like 3 packs of air foam, one of them, half the pack was popped.  

Anyway, go and unpack it, the PS4 seems unharmed but hooking it up to my primary TV...it took forever to get it to work.  It booted up fine (no blue blinking lights) but the HDMI display (with the included cable) didn't work.  Swapped it out for my other HDMI..nothing.  Ended up unplugging the system, and all cables, and then waited like 5 minutes.  Put everything back and connected with the included HDMI cable.  It booted up and finally my TV showed the PS4 booting (it was in safe mode).  

Then going through the system settings and wireless and then to PSN...it immediately asked for an update.  So I updated.  After a good 10 minutes, it rebooted and then .... the hell....no more diplay.  This is an LG 42 Inch TV.

After trying so many cable swaps, I decided to bring it up to my other TV with my PS3.  This is a DLP Samsung 56.  Put the HDMI cable from my PS3 into the PS4...plugged in, turned TV on...turned PS4 on....voila.  Everything works.

Now I have downloaded all the PS4 games and played through them all.  No freezes but I yet to test the drive and even power off.  I'm afraid to power down and loose the display.

I'm hoping that I don't have to return it....but I'm afraid of the un-stability of the patch.  I'm going to hold of on buying any retail games, except maybe Need for Speed...I saw a lot of people on the Live TV playing it and it looks great.

#60 GeorgeCostanza   Hangin Tough CAGiversary!   1493 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

GeorgeCostanza

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

I haven't had much time to play with my PS4 but I am a little worried about some issues I have had.  I have seen a little about "blue light of death" and other issues.  I haven't had time to read up on all of this yet.  My issue is that the PS3 light bar goes white and stays like this.  The screen is black and hitting the power button or holding it down do nothing.  I have had to pull the plug out of the back to get the system to boot up.  This is with only using the thing a few minutes a couple times.  I have yet to pop in a game.  Anyone else come across this?