Hesitations about ps4

My ps4 is getting delivered today but I have some hesitations in ripping open the box.

• I read a lot of DOA stories.
  • I read a lot of articles online that are saying to wait instead of having a launch system because were basically beta testing.
  • I dont know anyone else who owns one atm, and the only game I really like/wanted is Killzone, and there are no other games in the near future I know of that look great.
  • Its quite expensive and who knows how much 500gb will hold or how much more will be needed to upgrade.
  • For example the 20gb ps3 was 600 bucks and I got the 250gb slim for $300 a 3 years ago, and I still have 12 gb left (and im done with my list of games to aquire), so who knows what kinda upgrade ill need for the HD.
  • I still dont know what its capable of.
  • No backwards compability

So those are some of the reasons im hesitating. Does anyone have any idea of future plans for the hardware progress/development (like will there be 1tb systems out eventually).

Also can someone link me to understanding this system more, because when I bought it I assumed it was an extension of ps3, but it seems a lot of features are lacking. I have looked at a lot of articles online and they are very biased, either "4 reasons to get a ps4" or "5 reasons not to get a ps4 at launch".

id just like some good objective reading on the systems features and maybe what to expect for its future, with the above concerns in mind.

thanks for the help

My ps4 is getting delivered today but I have some hesitations in ripping open the box.

• I read a lot of articles online that are saying to wait instead of having a launch system because were basically beta testing.
  • I dont know anyone else who owns one atm, and the only game I really like/wanted is Killzone, and there are no other games in the near future I know of that look great.
  • Its quite expensive and who knows how much 500gb will hold or how much more will be needed to upgrade.
  • For example the 20gb ps3 was 600 bucks and I got the 250gb slim for $300 a 3 years ago, and I still have 12 gb left (and im done with my list of games to aquire), so who knows what kinda upgrade ill need for the HD.

So those are some of the reasons im hesitating. Does anyone have any idea of future plans for the hardware progress/development (like will there be 1tb systems out eventually).

Also can someone link me to understanding this system more, because when I bought it I assumed it was an extension of ps3, but it seems a lot of features are lacking. I have looked at a lot of articles online and they are very biased, either "4 reasons to get a ps4" or "5 reasons not to get a ps4 at launch".

id just like some good objective reading on the systems features and maybe what to expect for its future, with the above concerns in mind.

thanks for the help
Here's the first question you should ask yourself, why do I want a PS4? Write down any and every reason you can think of then create another column listing all the drawbacks of being an early adopter. If one outweighs the other you know what you need to do. Personally I wanted to support Sony and truly think the PS4 is the best console on the market though it lacks compelling games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the first question you should ask yourself, why do I want a PS4? Write down any and every reason you can think of then create another column listing all the drawbacks of being an early adapter. If one outweighs the other you know what you need to do. Personally I wanted to support Sony and truly think the PS4 is the best console on the market though it lacks compelling games.
Im with you on the Sony support and thinking its the best console. I loved, i mean LOVE my Ps3, but the ps4 seems to lack a lot of the things i was expecting, especially the backwards compatibility. I just cant seem to find objective analysis of what it can do. i also dont know if a launch system with so many issues that weve seen is a good idea, or the 500gb being enough.

you see, just lookin for some objective list of what it does and doesnt do (maybe in comparison to ps3)

thanks for the reply

I don't care about having the new and best thing, so I don't typically purchase systems at launch. I think the last time I bought one at launch was a Nintendo 64. Now I prefer to wait for the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the console bundle before jumping in. By that time the HDD is bigger, all the bugs have been worked out, and there are games available which are $15 to 20 from earlier in the console cycle. I also still have a backlog on the PS3, I can't justify putting down $400 on a new system when I still have dozens of games to play.

thanks for the help
  • DOA is like 1%. So yes there is a definitely a chance that you will get a DOA. But I have heard that there is warranty, but unconfirmed.
  • This system has never been tested. Everything you read online is true.
  • If you only want one game, then wait.That is what I am doing.
  • It is one of the cheapest launch consoles ever with inflation. Having said that $400 is still a lot of money. But a 1TB drive is $80 (newegg), and a year from now when you finish filling that 500GB, it will be the same price for 2TB. How many games do you play at one time? The install sizes are out there on the net, so make an educated guess. You should be able to handle 10 CoD installs, or 65 installs of Lego Marvel.
  • There are posts all over the internet stating what it is capable of. Are you talking graphics? Playing MP3's? Making you supper?

Many of the 'missing features' like music and video streaming etc, are a mute point, when an apple tv or Roku is $99, and generally way more convenient that using a gaming system (at least that was the case for PS3/360). Plus most new TV's have those features built in as well. So if someone said you have havea PS4 that does games and can do the missing stuff for $500, or you can have the PS4 as is, and we will throw in an Apple TV/Roku for $500, most would take the 2nd option I would say.

It should be noted that currently PS4 can't do 3D blu-rays, so that may be a point if you are someone that cares about that.

IMHO there is one valid point.

I agree with kill3r7. My opinion on your bullet points:

• Most of the DOA's were shipped from Amazon.  Kotaku and other sites have mentioned this.  I bought mine at launch at my Best Buy. It's running good.  If yours turns out to be DOA...you can exchange/refund and be done.
  • That's a given.  Anything newly launched would be considered a "beta" product. They tune it as time goes by.
  • There is a PS4 CAG friends list on this forum. You can make new friends there.  Supposed "coming" soon games are: Infamous 2nd Son (never played or cared for part 1 or 2 but this one looks nice) and Destiny and MAYBE Order 1886? 
  • Compared to Xbone and launch PS3...no but I know what you mean.  $400+ isn't easy to give up. I have KZ, AC:IV,Lego Marvel, Resogun, Contrast and Warframe installed.  I believe I have around 300gb left of space.  I do plan on getting a 1TB, just waiting for a nice sale price for it since it's the holidays.
  • Playing games of course. Honestly though...capable of what?  It's a game console, dvd/blu ray player, you can upload to FB, stream on twitch/ustream. Watch Netflix etc.  They know about no DLNA, your own streaming, Mp3's and CDs.  Supposedly they will work on it...When will it come is the question.  I personally don't care since I bought it to play games. I have a laptop, blu ray player and receiver to do those other things. I won't doubt they are thinking of more things to do with it. 
  • That was a given at E3.  Plus PS3/4 are on two different systems. It is possible when gaikai comes to play. But we don't know anything about it yet or how much would it cost to use.  
I'm personally happy with my ps4. Granted there are a lack of games but I'm having fun playing mine. I know over time there will be "must get/play" games and I can wait. In the mean time I can explore AC:IV and grind on Warframe. 

• Most of the DOA's were shipped from Amazon. Kotaku and other sites have mentioned this. I bought mine at launch at my Best Buy. It's running good. If yours turns out to be DOA...you can exchange/refund and be done.
The whole Amazon statistic is completely stupid. We'd have to know how many Amazon shipped versus every other chain to have a legitimate claim. If 50% of all launch PS4s were from Amazon, then yes of course most DOAs would have been through them statistically.

The fact of the matter is you're no less safer from being the 1% with a dead console regardless of the retailer. Mine is from Amazon and has had ZERO issues after 100 hours of use.

If you don't feel the urge to play any of the launch titles, I would seriously consider gettting a 3DS (XL) or a WiiU with alot more must-have games right now, and then get the PS4 (or XBox One) later after a few more games are released.

after reading all your views, I think I'll just give it a shot. I mean its already in my possession, when so many others are dying to have it. It was my only thing i wanted to get as a christmas present, and that is because I do have allegiance to playstation (psx at launch, ps2 at launch, ps3 i got very late, and now ps4).

i do love killlzone and i kinda like ghosts, and i just returned battlefield. so in that regaurd, those titles are enough for the launch period.

you are right about the streaming, and i have to keep in mind its a gaming console, which was different than my mentality towards the ps3.

my main issues were that there was no BC and also the bluray (3d) issue, but i suppose it will be resolved as time goes on. the HDD can be swapped as you mentioned without loss of warranty, and if its a DOA, i can always have it replaced.

i guess I will keep it, and hope Gakai lets me play my old ps3 games. i hope to learn more about this.

thanks for the replies

Well, i looked at the return policy, and it says you cant return parts of the bundle seperately, you must return the whole bundle. someone in  another thread said you can return the seperate items since they are listed seperately.

does anyone know about this? can you return the pieces of the bundle or you have to return the whole thing:?

thanks

Just to add to this, I also got a PS4 from Amazon, and its been working fine since I got it. The games list may be thin right now (as with any launch console), but that will improve with time. The features it supports will also improve.

I will say, if you're worried about reliability of the console over the first few years, do buy an extended warranty. I bought the Sony one directly, including "accidental damage". That gives me peace if mind, knowing that if there are any problems, they'll be fully covered. Squaretrade is another warranty option. With new consoles (at launch) always having some issues, its well worth it.

As for returning parts of the bundle, why bother? I bought a DS4 bundle, but would have preferred the KZ bundle (didn't really need a second DS4). But I'm keeping it anyway, no big deal.

If you like video games, get the system and enjoy it. Upgrade the hard drive if you need more space. Takes two seconds.

If money isn't an issue and you're okay with spending $400 now you might as well buy it now because it is still going to be $400 a few months from now.

If you like video games, get the system and enjoy it. Upgrade the hard drive if you need more space. Takes two seconds.
absolutely. youre right. i opened it just now and if i need to upgrade, it doesnt void warranty

If money isn't an issue and you're okay with spending $400 now you might as well buy it now because it is still going to be $400 a few months from now.
yes, money isnt an issue, this is my only christmas present. and youre right it wont drop till next christmas. so thats that

i gotta be honest tho, im not too impressed with it. first of all, the interface is confusing as hell to me because i dont know how to use iphones and apps. i just got texting/android smartphone last summer, and all i do is text and webrowse. my girlfriend had to show me how to update and install the network stuff for ghosts and killzone (embarassing).

the graphics arent a huge difference i dont really think. but whatever, i dont care. i got it, im keeping it, and i only played one round of ghosts and half of killzone cuz idk what the hell is going on in kz. very weird . im not used to it obviously, so im gonna give it a chance, but its all good

thanks guys :)

Ok, just to let you know, gave it a few hours and I think it just takes getting used to. its not ps3 2.0. its ps4. its different. i didnt expect killzone to have changed so much and have no chat support! COD Ghosts is alright, i mean its COD, but what I do like is the perks, cuz i never use tacticals or lethals or seceondaries, so the added perks are great. the maps are great too, good designs and larger sizes. the controller is fascinating, i think the ds4 steals the show really. nice features here and there like cross chat. i like it, i think i need some games to really amaze me, but i think its a great foundation for sony to build something special on. hoping for awesome games by march.

Even though there are just a handful of games for the PS4 right now, I kinda like the two free games that came with the PS + subscription - and there are the MMO's I've never tried on the PC but I do like DC universe better on the PS4 due to shorter load time and a lot less lag.

One thing to note, don't stand your PS4 up vertical.  Both cooling slots are on the sides.  I just stuck mine outside of a cabinet on the top so it will have enough cool air around it.  I have heard some strange clicking sounds on my friend's PS4 when he left his vertical after a few hours of playing on the side that was not having any air.  I think doing that will shorten the life of the PS4.

Also, the controller is great, more comfortable but damn it can't hold a charge like the PS3 controller.

^^^^THIS! The PS4 controller sucks for holding a charge. Only thing I can think of that drains the battery a lot faster than the PS3 controller is that damn light. Wish they would offer a way to turn it off.

Disabling the LED doesn't add much time; I think 2 extra hours from a test.  The real drain is the touchpad being always enabled for sensing.  Honestly, I think the touchpad was a mistake and I hope they offer a revised DS4 in the future sans the 'touch' function.  It's far to awkward to use effectively due to its placement and my guess is most games won't use it sensibly, if at all.  In AC4 all it serves is the map button and being able to surf the map with it.  I only ever used it to access the map, so just having a start button back would suffice in a redesign.

They got so many things right with this console, except this one feature nobody asked for nor needed.

Disabling the LED doesn't add much time; I think 2 extra hours from a test. The real drain is the touchpad being always enabled for sensing. Honestly, I think the touchpad was a mistake and I hope they offer a revised DS4 in the future sans the 'touch' function. It's far to awkward to use effectively due to its placement and my guess is most games won't use it sensibly, if at all. In AC4 all it serves is the map button and being able to surf the map with it. I only ever used it to access the map, so just having a start button back would suffice in a redesign.

They got so many things right with this console, except this one feature nobody asked for nor needed.
I agree about the pad. I really don't like it all. I cannot tell you how many times I try to push the start button, and press on the damn pad. I hope they redesign one myself as well. And yeah, the PS4 is awesome!

So much hate on BF4, I don't see why (Aside from the bugs and things which need to be patched and updated), but BF4 is so much more vast then the same old run and gun COD.

I agree about the pad. I really don't like it all. I cannot tell you how many times I try to push the start button, and press on the damn pad. I hope they redesign one myself as well. And yeah, the PS4 is awesome!
I'm not against the touch pad, but I'm also not for it (in its current state). Sony needs to redesign the DS4 to resemble the classic DS3 and slap that touch pad on the back of the controller similar to how the Vita had a touch panel on the back of it. I've gotten more used to pressing the Start - I mean "Options" button, but it's still awkward when I'm so used to the standard placement of a Start button since I started playing games in '91.

You may get a faulty PS4, but that's probably not going to happen. If it does, Sony has your back. Getting a launch console is fine, but it's to be expected that there's not going to be too many games, and there's going to be problems. In a few months, the problems should all be fixed and there should be a fair amount of games worthy of purchase. 

Yeah, at this point Im not too worried about it. Its been running fine, except for a few software errors/crashes, and not even in MP, I mean on Ghosts campaign, which I thought was very odd. But I like it so far. Its not mind blowing, but its good. Well have to give it a few months before we can really see when they develop some great titles (and FINISH FREAKING KILLZONE )

bread's done
Back