PS3 Fat 60GB (Model # CECHA01) Professionally Refurbished for $218 + FREE SHIPPING @ eBay

200+ dollars for a used 8 year old system, with a very small hard drive.

Id be very weary of such a deal.

Well one could pay $200+ dollars for a current gen console with about a 1/4 of the HD and a fraction of the library.

(ahem... Wii U basic skylanders bundle)

I have nothing against the deal but how can anyone really trust that this is "professionally refurbished"? Who is this guy, is he some well known dealer? 

There's really nothing here that backs the guys claims, especially since he doesn't make any guarantees outside of saying the system works. Hell, GS sells BC PS3s that work but who knows how long they'll actually last. The only guarantee you're getting is eBay 45 day claims policy. 

Last edited by a moderator:

It's only for those who want to run PS1/2 games; upgrading the HDD's in these units is obscenely easy. But I would rather spent the $200+ to get a newer PS3 with a bigger HDD...and a PS2.

I owned one of those units until this year when it YLOD'd. But it was a jet engine...and it got rather hot...so hot that my bedroom got warm by it.

This seller could very well be a refurbish contractor-

!!esTlIw!3U~$(KGrHqQOKiwEvN8uZBLlBM!G0j!P)g~~_7.JPG

Yeah.... I had a fat 60 that wouldn't perform backward comparability. Imagine my surprise when I'd bought ESPN NFL 2k5 for no reason... needless to say Best buy gave me a hundo in gift card action a few weeks later.

This is by no means a deal... your living room is bound to sound like small Cessna is getting ready for takeoff. Just get a new slim and enjoy the library of games available.

A Playstation 3 60GB/80GB can play 15+ years of Playstation titles. A boast it's successor can't claim, it offers free online, and has some amazing titles coming for it in 2014 and beyond.

The hell is wrong with you people? For ~$200 it's still great value in 2013.

A Playstation 3 60GB/80GB can play 15+ years of Playstation titles. A boast it's successor can't claim, it offers free online, and has some amazing titles coming for it in 2014 and beyond.

The hell is wrong with you people? For ~$200 it's still great value in 2013.
Exactly. I think it's a bunch of scalper-types who want this awesome deal to disappear off the face of the earth so that they can sell their 60giggers for 400 bucks and beyond.

Not bad if you don't have a ps2 and want to collect ps2 games. You can play ps2 games with a wireless controller, you have unlimited memory cards, and the graphics get upscaled. I think to repair one of these through Sony costs $130.00.

The hard drive argument is rediculous. If you run out of space delete a game you don't play anymore.

My brother and I each got 60gig systems on black friday from GameStop for about $160 in store. Mine looks brand new and came with a new dual shock 3. The PS2 upscaling looks better than I expected. I think it's totally worth it. If you need more HDD space, upgrade the drive. It's not tough. 

You can still find them ($184.99): http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-60gb-system-gamestop-premium-refurbished/64006

FYI:

* The 80gig model is not 100% BC.

* The things get pretty hot and have loud fans compared to the PS3 slim. 

My ps3 FAT is still running since day 1 purchase.  Replaced the 60g with a 320gb a few years back and the laser also, still running great.  My boys still play some of the old ps2 games like Power Pros and used to play the ratchet and clanks until they came on in the collection pack. Makes me wish the PS4 would have been like the FAT, would have been so sweet.

Not bad if you don't have a ps2 and want to collect ps2 games. You can play ps2 games with a wireless controller, you have unlimited memory cards, and the graphics get upscaled. I think to repair one of these through Sony costs $130.00.

The hard drive argument is rediculous. If you run out of space delete a game you don't play anymore.
Apparently 60GB isn't enough for a PS3 but 32GB (or 16GB) is more then enough for a Nintendo console that came out 7 years later?

HEEEHAWWWWW

"This product is guaranteed to work.....But for how long, 30days, 3 months, 1 year?

FYI, the first gen PS3 systems are extreme susceptible to YLOD.

Once a machine gets it, there is no permanent fix for YLOD, regardless of what you might read on the internet.  There is also no  guaranteed way to tell if a machine has had YLOD and been reflowed or reballed, even by complete disassembly.

They are somewhat loud, and short or a major liquid cooling mods are difficult to keep cool.

I have owned a 60GB since launch and recently delt with YLOD and was not able to find a long term fix, but just long enough to trade it into Best Buy when they offered a min $100 for system trades recently.  The BC PS3 is awesome, but be prepared to the eventual failure of the unit. 

Good luck to whoever buys one.

It's only for those who want to run PS1/2 games; upgrading the HDD's in these units is obscenely easy. But I would rather spent the $200+ to get a newer PS3 with a bigger HDD...and a PS2.

I owned one of those units until this year when it YLOD'd. But it was a jet engine...and it got rather hot...so hot that my bedroom got warm by it.
I'm still rocking my 60gb. It actually outlasted a 40GB and yeah, damn does the thing get loud after about 20 minutes.

[quote name="GBAstar" post="11393600" timestamp="1388206921"]Apparently 60GB isn't enough for a PS3 but 32GB (or 16GB) is more then enough for a Nintendo console that came out 7 years later?

HEEEHAWWWWW[/quote]

Jesus fucking Christ, shut up. It's obscenely easy and cheap to add extra memory to the Wii U. You can't can't even manage your own data on the Xbone, let alone add external memory at all. HEEEHAAAAWWW Microsoft llllol

My 80gb phat is still going strong. I only use the BC to transfer Firepro saves though.

I once payed someone 2$ on the regular to punch me in my balls so I could get tougher, but I am no fool.  I'm not about to jump on this deal!

Why is there always so much negativity to "deals" like this? YES, it is a deal. You may not like it, or want one, but it's still a deal. It's OK to question the seller, as that is normal, but he has sold hundreds of this item, and has 100% positive feedback. That tells me he is either running a super scam, or he has better service than Amazon or Gamestop. 

So if your not interested, why fill this thread with nonsense? I personally sold my phat a few years ago for a slim, as I nevered used the BC, but that is inviting to some and is no longer offered in any PS3 units currently for sale. The phat 60GB new in box can sale for 1000 and over, so to someone who is interested, this is very much a deal. That is why this seller has sold so many. 173 consumers have seen the value, and have left the feedback to show this seller is on the up and up. 

Me thinks this guy has his hand in these or he wouldn't be defending it so much.
Or, I think it's a good deal. Believe me, if I had a hand in this, I wouldn't be working for Walmart making a pittance. The guy behind these is loaded and it seems like he had a contract of sorts with Sony.

Also, I recall these things being sold for ~$400 just a few years back. So this seems like a good deal in comparison.

Having 100% feedback (exclusively for selling those consoles?) on ebay is almost useless in this case. Ebay limits the time feedback can be left to 60 days. So if can be safe to assume that most of these units will likely last 60 that long.

For ~$200 risk, I would prefer having at least a no-cost 1 year guarantee at least. If you like to gamble that this is your chance!

Plus what does "Professionally Refurbished" really mean? There is no accreditation or any other info that supports that claim.

Why is there always so much negativity to "deals" like this? YES, it is a deal. You may not like it, or want one, but it's still a deal. It's OK to question the seller, as that is normal, but he has sold hundreds of this item, and has 100% positive feedback. That tells me he is either running a super scam, or he has better service than Amazon or Gamestop.

So if your not interested, why fill this thread with nonsense? I personally sold my phat a few years ago for a slim, as I nevered used the BC, but that is inviting to some and is no longer offered in any PS3 units currently for sale. The phat 60GB new in box can sale for 1000 and over, so to someone who is interested, this is very much a deal. That is why this seller has sold so many. 173 consumers have seen the value, and have left the feedback to show this seller is on the up and up.

I got mine from gamestop a week ago, they were 129.99. I didnt realize it was a sale till now. They jumped up to 209 or such and now they're 184. You guys suggest i buy the warranty? I assume the store won't have any 60gb.. How will they replace it if it breaks? Its soo hot.

Having 100% feedback (exclusively for selling those consoles?) on ebay is almost useless in this case. Ebay limits the time feedback can be left to 60 days. So if can be safe to assume that most of these units will likely last 60 that long.

For ~$200 risk, I would prefer having at least a no-cost 1 year guarantee at least. If you like to gamble that this is your chance!

Plus what does "Professionally Refurbished" really mean? There is no accreditation or any other info that supports that claim.
I'm going to have to ask you very politely to stop replying to this thread if you're just gonna keep posting FUD. You're adding nothing that any buyer wouldn't already know, most people are unaware that the PS3 is even backwards compatible with the PS1. The ones who know there are models that play PS2 games already know what to expect with the territory. You have done nothing but troll the older fat model PS3s and spread FUD like you wouldn't believe. The seller had sold tons of these and has flawless Ebay feedback, not exactly sure where the redflags are coming from. Even the mighty PS4 is prone to hardware defects, we don't even know what the statistic is for the YLOD but I can assure you that it isn't a hardware flaw design like RRoD.

Geesh, same reason people ask to this day if adding a 7200RPM on a PS3 is safe or not, FUD. The 20, 60, and 80GB PS3 models were manufactured and sold up until late 2007. Now unless you have genuine proof that every single one of those models have spontaneously combusted, get out.

I wouldn't trust him based on his shitty spelling and grammar. Manufactures specs? I get a duel shock with my purchase? Professionally refurbished means absolutely nothing, as whatever he's doing to "fix" them isn't approved by the manufacturer directly. And he never says that he works in conjunction with Sony or that he's official--that is something OP assumed.

"ALL RETURNS WILL BE INSPECTED FOR TAMPERING. NO RETURNS WILL BE HONORED IF SECURITY SEAL INSIDE THE CONSOLE HAS BEEN BROKEN AND UNIT HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH."

Sweet, so he didn't break any seals when he "fixed" them.

I am surprised there is still an interest for the fat ps3s. My 60gb recently went YLOD on me. Did some research and "re flowed" it with new CPU thermal paste. Works like it did before the break but only time will tell how long it will last. I'm just happy that I was able to fix it and have it working again!

Because it's not supported by the ps2. The only way to upscale ps2 games to HD is through one of these ps3's. That's why it's a "deal", because outside of emulation, which is still in the okay to poor area for the ps2 generation, there's absolutely no way to get HD ps2 games.

Buying a component cable can get you 480P, but no upscaling to 720p or higher.

Considering he has 100% positive feedback that means the units are all lasting for longer than a few months. I don't understand why people are having a hard time comprehending this.

I wouldn't trust him based on his shitty spelling and grammar. Manufactures specs? I get a duel shock with my purchase? Professionally refurbished means absolutely nothing, as whatever he's doing to "fix" them isn't approved by the manufacturer directly. And he never says that he works in conjunction with Sony or that he's official--that is something OP assumed.

"ALL RETURNS WILL BE INSPECTED FOR TAMPERING. NO RETURNS WILL BE HONORED IF SECURITY SEAL INSIDE THE CONSOLE HAS BEEN BROKEN AND UNIT HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH."

Sweet, so he didn't break any seals when he "fixed" them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Security-Labels-Sticker-Seals-Metallic-Silver-tamper-proof-xbox-ps3-2-x-1-/151092867516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232dd631bc

Or maybe he really is professional like his feedback seems to support and he put his own tamper sticker to tell if people are messing with them? You can get them for less than a penny each on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Security-Labels-Sticker-Seals-Metallic-Silver-tamper-proof-xbox-ps3-2-x-1-/151092867516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232dd631bc

Or maybe he really is professional like his feedback seems to support and he put his own tamper sticker to tell if people are messing with them? You can get them for less than a penny each on ebay.
This is exactly what he's doing. Boy the guys around here can be so dense. I've done my own mods and refurbs from time to time, and you learn things like putting new stickers in as a way to CYA. To think this guy has sold the amount he has, and has never opened a system, is beyond "retardation". Stop the negative post, PLEASE! If you have bought one from this seller, and have had any issues, please post them here, but considering his feedback, that will never happen, and there are only trolls posting currently.

I'd sell mine. Used just a few times, 12 hours total maybe? In box with all original paperwork, plastic, twistie ties, etc. that it original came with for this price. 

Perhaps my post reads like FUD, however the wording of the ebay auction also raises questions and is misleading.

Beyond 46 day response window no warranty included. I would advise any buyer to get the 2yr SquareTrade warranty for an extra $60.

I personally feel that the BC PS3 is awesome. So are the current models. BC and HD upscaling is nice, but a buyer should probably be aware of what they are buying, a ~7 year old system that has a failure rate much higher than the current model. The wording in the auction states that the current slim does not play PS1 games, which is a lie. It also posts a aesthetic and subjective opinion.

Based upon my "professional" opinion.

I'm going to have to ask you very politely to stop replying to this thread if you're just gonna keep posting FUD. You're adding nothing that any buyer wouldn't already know, most people are unaware that the PS3 is even backwards compatible with the PS1. The ones who know there are models that play PS2 games already know what to expect with the territory. You have done nothing but troll the older fat model PS3s and spread FUD like you wouldn't believe. The seller had sold tons of these and has flawless Ebay feedback, not exactly sure where the redflags are coming from. Even the mighty PS4 is prone to hardware defects, we don't even know what the statistic is for the YLOD but I can assure you that it isn't a hardware flaw design like RRoD.

Geesh, same reason people ask to this day if adding a 7200RPM on a PS3 is safe or not, FUD. The 20, 60, and 80GB PS3 models were manufactured and sold up until late 2007. Now unless you have genuine proof that every single one of those models have spontaneously combusted, get out.

As much as I love the emulation on the PS3 to save me space, there is noticeable input lag on PS2 games. For games that have features that are heavily dependent on inputs on specific frames, I would stay away from buying a Fat, especially if you're looking to play Capcom games. The Issen Challenges for Onimusha 3 made me want to smash my controller and it wasn't until I started reading on the PS3 Fight Matchmaking thread that I learned that there is pretty heavy input lag.

With all the inputs on modern tv's, I'd just deal with the 480p and get a PS2 Slim if I didn't already have a PS2.

bread's done
Back