* * * * - 50 votes

XBL Deals - Jan 6 - Sep 4, 2014

XBL Xbox Live XBLA Games on Demand DLC Arcade Avatar Item

#18751 Baboy   Das Feenreich! CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

What country do you live in? XIII-2 would be like $10 USD in the US. It's pretty shitty that companies would charge the same in euros or pounds.

It sucks, but it's how it is. I live in Italy but that is what Euro-countries get in general. If we look at MS sales, it's mostly the same as well, sometimes worse in fact: whereas 60 bucks seems to be the maximum in the US, here we can get to 70 Euros as well, not just the 1:1 conversion of 60. This also makes it so that a lot of percentage deals on the XBL marketplace actually are far more expensive in Europe than in the US: we had multiple times where US had a game for like 10$ and ours was 25 Euros, because on the European marketplace it did not receive the same price cuts. The most recent example is 2014 FIFA World Cup, that was like 18$ in the US if I'm not mistaken, but around 21 Euros here, given the different original price to which they added the same percentage. Sometimes, we get lucky-ish: right now you're getting Remember Me for 10 bucks, for it's 7,49 which is around the same price. In super rare cases, we even get A LOT better deals: 2 years ago or so (before all these Ultimate Game Sales), Max Payne 3 went down to 15$ in the US, and for some reason it was 5 Euros here. Back then, that price was absolutely bonkers, almost unheard of that MS would do such sales so everyone lost their minds, haha.

#18752 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5306 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Got Resident Evil 4. One of my favorite games and one of the only games i ever beat on the gamecube (Resident Evil zero being the only other)

Would like to get Revelations but the price still seems a bit too much. I assume around Christmas time it will probably be around $5.

That probably won't happen. It's the latest entry and it got great reviews. Even on a 1-day-sale, it's unlikely to go lower than $7.50.

What is it with people lowballing game publishers? Someone earlier said they would have paid $5 for Resident Evil 6 if it was included in the sale. I'm sure Capcom is desperate for your $5, which is only like $3 worth of purchasing power in Japan. This is similar to when people were speculating that Microsoft would make XBL free and instead they raised the price to $60.

#18753 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3603 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

That probably won't happen. It's the latest entry and it got great reviews. Even on a 1-day-sale, it's unlikely to go lower than $7.50.

What is it with people lowballing game publishers? Someone earlier said they would have paid $5 for Resident Evil 6 if it was included in the sale. I'm sure Capcom is desperate for your $5, which is only like $3 worth of purchasing power in Japan. This is similar to when people were speculating that Microsoft would make XBL free and instead they raised the price to $60.

Just laws of economics really. With my tastes and time to play games factored in, many of the games on sale wouldn't even get played if I got them for free. Capcoms plentiful fighting games have just never interested me much. For some, at $5 they would be interested.

#18754 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5306 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yeah but we're not talking about fighters. We're talking about one of the most lucrative franchises of all time. One that has spawned several wildly successful films and sells millions of games even when they're critically panned. It's just not realistic that they'll sell for $5 unless they're really old like Resident Evil 5.

#18755 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5538 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Uhhhhh... Res Evil 6 has been available at a lot of retailers at around 5 bucks. Sales sucked. It deserves to be $5.

#18756 Deuteros  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

I think I'll pick up Rock Band 3. While I'm not a fan of owning the digital version of a game also available physically, I get the feeling this kind of game benefits a lot from being always available for a quick session. Could any of the resident Rock Band veterans clear up a couple of things for me:

- I own the Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock 'Super Bundle' (or 'Full Band Bundle', as it is known in Europe), which means I have enough plastic musical instruments already. I know those are compatible with Rock Band 3, but will the gameplay (and my enjoyment of it) suffer from not using 'proper' Rock Band instruments?

- Exporting the setlists from previous entries in the series seems like the better deal. Does that feature still work without restrictions or is it being phased out? I understand there's a fee involved, which seems reasonable.

- There's a LOT of DLC for it... What's the best place to browse it by artist or genre, sort it by single song, song pack, etc?

I'm getting all the Iron Maiden I can!

#18757 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3751 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I wanted to get one more game from the Capcom sale

Final FIght DB or D&D COM?

There is more replayability with the D&D games as the choices you make determine the path you take.  There is also the ability to choose different characters and levelling up.   Final Fight/Magic Sword is completely linear and there is no character progression.  Final fight offers very little replay value once you beat it.  Magic sword allows different heroes to join you, though the storyline will always be the same.

#18758 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5306 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Uhhhhh... Res Evil 6 has been available at a lot of retailers at around 5 bucks. Sales sucked. It deserves to be $5.

No it hasn't. I know you feel like it should be $5 but it's actually one of the best-selling Resident Evils. You are letting your opinion of the game get in the way of fact. And even if it was $5, that's at the retailer level (and it would likely be used). The publisher is not going to devalue their brand that much especially when selling directly to the consumer.

#18759 stevocbk24   CAG Veteran/Winter Soldier CAGiversary!   482 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

No it hasn't. I know you feel like it should be $5 but it's actually one of the best-selling Resident Evils. You are letting your opinion of the game get in the way of fact. And even if it was $5, that's at the retailer level (and it would likely be used). The publisher is not going to devalue their brand that much especially when selling directly to the consumer.

I got it for $5 at Best Buy, so yes he is right.

#18760 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4287 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

2 days left for Banjo Bundle. Maybe less if it gets pulled early.

https://mobile.twitt...976179728240640

#18761 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1689 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Deuteros: Depends on whether or not you're interested in learning to play real instruments. If you want to know how to play an actual keyboard or guitar, you'll want the "pro" versions of those instruments. If you just want to feel like a rock star without the commitment, I guess the Guitar Hero instruments you already have would be fine.

#18762 Feeni   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   245 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Just wanted to weigh in on the Resident Evil discussion, since I'm a huge fan and have played most entries in the series. I saw someone earlier ranked RE6 above RE4 and couldn't believe my eyes. So here's my ranking of the entries I have played.

Old tank style survival horror:

REmake>CVX>RE2>RE0=RE3

New style TPS action:

RE4>REvelations>RE5>RE6

Although I think the quality difference isn't as big between the older ones. At the time it came out RE4 was my favorite game ever, and still sits in my top 10. The controls are a bit dated, but if you can look past it I think it is the pinnacle of the series. It should also be said that Revelations has something special that captures the survival horror atmosphere of the older games instead of the straight action feeling of the newer games.

#18763 irafreak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   628 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

There is more replayability with the D&D games as the choices you make determine the path you take. There is also the ability to choose different characters and levelling up. Final Fight/Magic Sword is completely linear and there is no character progression. Final fight offers very little replay value once you beat it. Magic sword allows different heroes to join you, though the storyline will always be the same.

Actually magic sword has multiple hidden exits to jump around levels. I have enjoyed both sets of games. The achievements in ff are actually fun to go back and get.

#18764 Avenger772  

Avenger772

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Has anyone played Grand Theft Auto 5 ? I know it's a niche, indie game but I thought someone could give me their opinion on it.

What?

Is this real life?

#18765 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5538 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

$5 at BB for a while.

Clearance for close to that at Kmart

Clearance for close to that at TRU

Under $5 when MS Store cleared it out

Pretty sure that GS had it new for around $5 at one point, as well.

It's fine to be a fanboy, but at least know what you speak of. All of those sales were for new, BTW...

#18766 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3751 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Actually magic sword has multiple hidden exits to jump around levels. I have enjoyed both sets of games. The achievements in ff are actually fun to go back and get.

Even with the level jumping, you're still just getting to the top of the tower, though I know what you mean and that is similar to choosing a path in D&D.  I played these games in the arcade/SNES.. there were not any cheevos in my era.  If that adds replayability for some, more power to you.  Don't get me wrong, Magic Sword is one of my all time favorite beat'em ups, but D&D collection is the better one to go with if you had to pick one.

#18767 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1204 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I think I'll pick up Rock Band 3. While I'm not a fan of owning the digital version of a game also available physically, I get the feeling this kind of game benefits a lot from being always available for a quick session. Could any of the resident Rock Band veterans clear up a couple of things for me:

- I own the Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock 'Super Bundle' (or 'Full Band Bundle', as it is known in Europe), which means I have enough plastic musical instruments already. I know those are compatible with Rock Band 3, but will the gameplay (and my enjoyment of it) suffer from not using 'proper' Rock Band instruments?

- Exporting the setlists from previous entries in the series seems like the better deal. Does that feature still work without restrictions or is it being phased out? I understand there's a fee involved, which seems reasonable.

- There's a LOT of DLC for it... What's the best place to browse it by artist or genre, sort it by single song, song pack, etc?

I'm getting all the Iron Maiden I can!

You are right about the digital version of RB3 being incredibly convenient for quick playing.  I have the physical copy but I bought the digital on sale a long time ago and have never regretted it.

As far as I know the exports still work, but the RB1 and RB2 exports are very different.  For RB1, you pay a $5 export fee and it copies (most) of the songs off the disc and onto your hard drive.  This will work even with a used copy of the game.  For RB2, you have to pay $10 and enter a code from the manual so you actually need a new copy of the game (or at least one where the code hasn't been used, but there's no way to know that for a used copy).  There's also Lego Rock Band and Green Day Rock Band which have similar export mechanisms to RB2.  For RB1, if you ever need to re-export you still need the physical disc.  The others will be entries in your download history so they can be downloaded again.

Guitar Hero instruments work fine with RB3, there's very little disadvantage to using them.  Probably the biggest one is that you won't have the automatic timing calibration features that are built into the RB guitar, but calibration can be done manually.  There's also some kind of tapping solo feature with the lower frets on the RB guitar, but I never use those anyway.  I've spent quite a bit of time playing RB on GH guitars, the gameplay is perfectly fine.

I just use the in-game RB3 music store for DLC, it gives you a lot of sorting options.  You'll be pretty happy with the Iron Maiden selection.  The Iron Maiden Pack 01 is only $10 (because all pre-RB3 DLC is permanently on sale for half off) and gets you a dozen of their most popular songs.  The Epics pack is also $10 and gets you 6 of their "epic length" songs such as Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

EDIT: When I wrote about the instruments, I was thinking mainly about the guitars.  The drumming situation is a little different since GH drums have a different layout than Rock Band.  It still works, but I'm not sure how the experience is because I have a full RB-pro drum set.  This article has more drum info.  Of course if you are interested in playing keyboard you'll need to find a RB3 keyboard somewhere, but it's certainly not required.

#18768 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5306 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

I got it for $5 at Best Buy, so yes he is right.

$5 at BB for a while.

Clearance for close to that at Kmart

Clearance for close to that at TRU

Under $5 when MS Store cleared it out

Pretty sure that GS had it new for around $5 at one point, as well.

It's fine to be a fanboy, but at least know what you speak of. All of those sales were for new, BTW...

It was $7.99 at Best Buy and then $5 for a limited time. Clearances are YMMV so you can't count those [Kmart and TRU]. Microsoft Store also clearances for a very limited time - their stock is usually gone on the first day. Gamestop never had it for $5 except maybe used. So only Best Buy had it for supercheap regularly. That's hardly "a lot of retailers" as you put it.

#18769 Deuteros  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Deuteros: Depends on whether or not you're interested in learning to play real instruments. If you want to know how to play an actual keyboard or guitar, you'll want the "pro" versions of those instruments. If you just want to feel like a rock star without the commitment, I guess the Guitar Hero instruments you already have would be fine.

Where I live (Portugal), it'd be a nightmare sourcing any kind of Rock Band instruments. Even importing from the UK wouldn't be simple because of their bulk and weight. I can see myself getting a keyboard since I don't have one but I'd have to manage with the guitar, drum kit and microphone I already have from Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

The drum kit is probably the most different instrument from one series to the other. If my research hasn't failed me, the three drum pads and two cymbal pads setup from Guitar Hero drum kits should fit the Rock Band four drum pads setup in an acceptable fashion, but I'd appreciate the feedback from someone who has tried it.

#18770 DENNY79   the advanced gamer CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Old tank style survival horror:

REmake>CVX>RE2>RE0=RE3

New style TPS action:

RE4>REvelations>RE5>RE6

I agree with you

#18771 Groo The Wanderer  

Groo The Wanderer

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

I feel like all games 2 years or more older should be $7.99 or less.

#18772 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11186 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think I must have played a different version of Resident Evil 6 than everyone else. Because I thought that game was awesome. :lol: Incredible visuals, great voice acting, tight gameplay, and yes the story was silly and over-the-top but in a fun way. I was totally hooked on it. Maybe it's because I've only played 5, 6, and Revelations and have no sentimental attachment to the earlier, non-TPS incarnations of the series.

As a story-heavy third person shooter in the vein of Gears of War, it was a total blast. I am so down for a Resident Evil 7 that continues the story of Chris, Jill, Leon, Ada, Helena, Jake, Sherry, et al. instead of the series reboot idea that's been kicked around.

#18773 Brother Daz   Scotch and yes? CAGiversary!   7830 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Brother Daz

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Was excited to finally play Crimson Dragon and I promptly deleted it. Something about the targeting and dragon movement being independent of each other did not work with my brain.

man I'm really enjoying it, probably more than I should. It was a little weird a first but once I got the hang of it, it became a much better game. I did get hit with 3 achievements not unlocking even though they're at 100% completed (worth 150 GS). I can totally understand why people don't like it though, it's definitely a game that won't be everyone's cup of tea. If any CAGs need some help with the mp achievements just let me know, I'll be glad to help. I was sitting at 70 on the leaderboards last night, hope to at least crack 25 by this weekend.

#18774 jyoungAD   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   668 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Final fight offers very little replay value once you beat it. 

I disagree. The replayability in a game like Final Fight comes from trying to beat it on one-credit, which is something I still haven't accomplished to this day. These days, I can make it to the final level, but that one is so long and tough that I always end up dying.

For pure fun factor, I also prefer Final Fight to either D&D game. The combat is just way more satisfying in Final Fight.

That said, both games are must-owns for fans of the beat-em-up genre.

#18775 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11186 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize Final Fight Double Impact was the original arcade game. I was under the impression that it was some kind of 3D reimagining or something. So in!!

#18776 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6706 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Finally got an EA Access pass code. Now to trade BF4. Really digging this direction. I don't care to play last year's madden or fifa too considering I've never played fifa not have I played added since..Uhhh..2001?

#18777 jyoungAD   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   668 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize Final Fight Double Impact was the original arcade game. I was under the impression that it was some kind of 3D reimagining or something. So in!!

It's the arcade version with drop-in co-op and online leaderboards.

The only thing it's missing is the option to turn on the SEGA CD soundtrack. The arcade soundtrack stinks, and the remixed one that's included is no good.

#18778 jimmyy201   Jimayy201 CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

jimmyy201

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Finally got an EA Access pass code. Now to trade BF4. Really digging this direction. I don't care to play last year's madden or fifa too considering I've never played fifa not have I played added since..Uhhh..2001?

How'd you get a code?

#18779 defgufman   Carl Stucky...pleased to meet you! CAGiversary!   1192 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

With my pickup of SF II my collection of Street Fighter is complete. It was a bit humbling that my 7 year old son kicked my ass in SF II 8 out 10 games last night.

#18780 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6706 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

How'd you get a code?

Reddit. Right place right time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XBL, Xbox Live, XBLA, Games on Demand, DLC, Arcade, Avatar Item