Super Mario 3D World $39.99 at Target

This game is the reason to own a Wii U, and was my personal GOTY for 2013. A steal at this price.

very tempting as a wii u owner with only 1 retail game just dont have the money/time to play it. hopefully a permanent price drops in the coming months

very tempting as a wii u owner with only 1 retail game just dont have the money/time to play it. hopefully a permanent price drops in the coming months
A first party Nintendo game price drop? I wouldn't count on it lol. Even New Super Mario Bros. U is still $60.

picked one up this morning.  I dont even have a Wii U yet but will get one sometime this year and Mario games never drop in price.  

Might go pick this up, have a $5 gift card from there plus red card discount...decisions decisions.

Yeah I want to shop as little as possible at Target b/c of card fraud.
That's what I love about American Express. Any irregularities and they will shutdown your card ASAP. It doesn't look like Amazon will PM Target. They do for Best Buy and Newegg on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Mario 3D World is quite possibly the best game for the Wii U, but it's not the only great game for the Wii U (Pikmin 3, Zelda Windwaker HD, MH3U, Wii Sports Club, NSMBU). But at this price, it's certainly the game you should be buying for the Wii U.

does anyone know if k-mart or sears price match? would like to pm there since I have credit with em'.
kmart does not price match but sears does and I know when I used to price match at sears it was the price match price then whatever 10% of the different between there price and the price you matching was they would subtract that from the price match price so if they have it at $60 then after the 10% of the $20 different you should get $2 off making it $37.99

kmart does not price match but sears does and I know when I used to price match at sears it was the price match price then whatever 10% of the different between there price and the price you matching was they would subtract that from the price match price so if they have it at $60 then after the 10% of the $20 different you should get $2 off making it $37.99
I will try at sears then, and thanks for the info..I really appreciate it.

Amazon claims not to price match for anything but cell phones and televisions, so pass. I've heard great things about this game, though!

I thought it was an OK game. I actually enjoyed NSMB more. Still a great price but personally Wonderful 101 is a hidden gem.

Help! how do you submit a price match? I cant seem to find it anywhere on their website. ah n/m i figured it out, lets hope they will price match this, its the price i was waiting for. :)

I've already got this, but I'm curious as to the odds for a bigger price cut down the line? I mean WiiU seems to be failing abysmally, so I'm wondering if, in the coming months, we won't be seeing deeper price cuts for more 1st software? Then again, it still boggles my mind that NSMBU hasn't dipped below the $40's yet so what do I know.....

I thought it was an OK game. I actually enjoyed NSMB more. Still a great price but personally Wonderful 101 is a hidden gem.
OK is the perfect way to describe this game. The best way I can put it, is it feels like Nintendo hired the teams behind Madden or Call of Duty to crank out a Mario title. It is functional but very derivative of what came before, and honestly I think this is the 1st 3D Mario that has failed to innovate in any real way. It's certainly not the special gem that every other 3D Mario has been up to this point. Multiplayer aside (which sucks btw if you want to actually make any real progress in the game), it really does feel like a rehash of the 3DS game, but without the awesome 3D effect or the benefits of being on a portable. I think the lack of online multiplayer drives home that point better than anything else I can say. In this day and age, a AAA holiday release that's (supposedly) heavily focused on multiplayer launching without online is downright cheap/lazy/rushed/ect. Even if the multiplayer isn't that good to begin with, it's a main focus of the game and should have been there, and it's absence is inexcusable, even on WiiU. That said, I'd say $40 is a fair price, but $60 was asking too much.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I recognize that while this game may not be winning any GOTY awards (at least none that aren't Nintendo-biased like NintendoLife or GoNintendo or w/e, and even then, we've had better on 3DS) but it's still a fair game. It's just that we've come to expect so much more from a console 3D Mario title, and graded on the Mario curve this game is average at best. I mean, it's Mario on WiiU..... no interesting Fludd mechanics, no crazy gravity puzzles, no amazing 3D effects, and not even the incredibly fun exploration elements that go into star hunting. It really feels like this game was pushed out way too quickly as an attempt to boost WiiU rather than any attempt to push Mario forward or do something new, and I for one expected a lot better from a 3D Mario.

Last edited:
Price matched this at Best Buy because I have a $5 credit on my Reward Zone account. The process was easy and I have been enjoying this game so far.  

OK is the perfect way to describe this game. The best way I can put it, is it feels like Nintendo hired the teams behind Madden or Call of Duty to crank out a Mario title. It is functional but very derivative of what came before, and honestly I think this is the 1st 3D Mario that has failed to innovate in any real way. It's certainly not the special gem that every other 3D Mario has been up to this point. Multiplayer aside (which sucks btw if you want to actually make any real progress in the game), it really does feel like a rehash of the 3DS game, but without the awesome 3D effect or the benefits of being on a portable. I think the lack of online multiplayer drives home that point better than anything else I can say. In this day and age, a AAA holiday release that's (supposedly) heavily focused on multiplayer launching without online is downright cheap/lazy/rushed/ect. Even if the multiplayer isn't that good to begin with, it's a main focus of the game and should have been there, and it's absence is inexcusable, even on WiiU. That said, I'd say $40 is a fair price, but $60 was asking too much.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I recognize that while this game may not be winning any GOTY awards (at least none that aren't Nintendo-biased like NintendoLife or GoNintendo or w/e, and even then, we've had better on 3DS) but it's still a fair game. It's just that we've come to expect so much more from a console 3D Mario title, and graded on the Mario curve this game is average at best. I mean, it's Mario on WiiU..... no interesting Fludd mechanics, no crazy gravity puzzles, no amazing 3D effects, and not even the incredibly fun exploration elements that go into star hunting. It really feels like this game was pushed out way too quickly as an attempt to boost WiiU rather than any attempt to push Mario forward or do something new, and I for one expected a lot better from a 3D Mario.
I'll agree that this game is missing a bit of the magic that previous 3D Mario installments have. But even a not-super-amazing Mario game ends up being one of the best platformers in recent memory (in my opinion it is the best). I didn't feel gypped at all having bought it at full price on day one.

Ending up going to pick up a rain check. the 2 close to me were out. AS my first raincheck. does target contact you when they have it in.

Couldn't get Best Buy to price match over the phone.  They claim this game is not part of the "lowest price guaranteed" and thus it can not be price matched.  Would go to my local store but there is too much snow.  The representative also said they would not price match at my local store as this is also the policy there.  Just curious, how hasn't anyone had this same exact problem?  I live on Long Island in New York.

Ending up going to pick up a rain check. the 2 close to me were out. AS my first raincheck. does target contact you when they have it in.
Unfortunately not, but you DO have a month to pick it up for that price though and it doesn't need to be at the store you got the raincheck at. Odds are pretty good that they won't be replenished before the end of the week (at least, that's how it usually is at my store). Although you can call periodically and see if they got any in and if they can put one aside.

Yeah, I checked a few other retailers' sites just now and none seem to have dropped price to match Target.  Glad I happened to be up early on Sunday to pick up a copy then.

Can't get stupid newegg to adjust my "iron egg guarantee" because its not instock on Targets website... Worst "price match" policy ever.

yeah i stopped by wal-mart and saw it and was able to price match it. Its ashame Amazon still hasn't replyed back and no one was ad-matching it. But thanks for the update, i would never knew about the sale.

bread's done
Back