CAGcast #356: Insert Three Amigos Quote Here

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Thief, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare, Donkey Kong Country, Titanfall bundle, and more!
Download (63 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-356-insert-three

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  Freestyle (Diplo) - Don't stop the rock  Outro: He-Man Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Great show Cheapy, Ship, and Wombat! I'm interested in one of those PS4 Pinball FX codes and also I agree that as an early adopter of Xbox one I'm really disappointed with the lack of content that has been available for us. Titanfall can't come soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys made Wombat's computer jealous with your $90 mouse and computer accessories talk.

Also I'll enter the Super League Football code thing.

Wombat did a great reading of my post.

I may have been exaggerating a little when I said infamous was one of my favorite but it's probably in the top 15 of last gen. It just made me upset to hear shipwreck brush off the game so easily, I usually agree with what he says.

I agree that donkey kong country: tropical freeze is fantastic all the way through.

Good show as usual.

Lack of Harold Ramis discussion, I am disappoint. Cheapy said we should be saying Ghostbusters quotes at start but no one heard..

Also Wombat a question, while I agree with everything you guys are saying about the Xbox one - it is indeed a hot mess right now.. So why did you get it over the PS4? I can recall you saying why back when they launched. I feel like you'd be much happier.

What's the deal with multiplayer only games (i.e. Titanfall, Plants vs. Zombies 2)? Remember M.A.G.? I wanted to pick it up a year ago when the price got very low, but server support stopped about the same time. Same thing happening now to Wii and DS games. Granted, Titanfall has several years of support ahead of it, but even a short single player campaign would probably convice me to buy it, or maybe even to spring for the game/console bundle, but a free download of a game that I wouldn't play online isn't really a 'system seller' for me.

Side note: Wii U has some great quality titles, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario 2D & 3D & Luigi titles, Wonderful 101, but they are trickling out too slowly. The Wii U is a great piece of hardware.

Thanks for listening.

In for PS4 Pinball FX code.
~Tony

CheapyD is right. I would pay $3 for a San Jose Sharks table. Taking 2 things I love and combining it would be great. Plus PlayStation sponsors the sharks. Love the intro music BTW.
I would love to win the ps4 super league football or futbol or however they spell it. I need something else to play while waiting for Infamous.

Great show guys!

Cheapy, so I take it you got tired of having packaging tape holding your Kinect to the top of your TV.  Haha!!  What was the breaking point for you to get the Kinect TV mount?

Shipwreck, if Microsoft continues in its efforts to NOT support Kinect, then I believe you should ask them to refund you for the time, effort, and materials you used to run the Kinect cable through your wall.  On a side note, why did you decide to move your PC to your TV in the living room?  I've been thinking of doing the same but can't find a good reason to at this moment. 

Wombat - I feel bad for Sabrina when she hears she's not the favorite.  Better save up for the upcoming therapy bills!  Haha!

I am interested in one of the PS4 Super League Football codes.

I may have been exaggerating a little when I said infamous was one of my favorite but it's probably in the top 15 of last gen.
I have never played an Infamous game but I am interested in getting the upcoming PS4 game. Do you recommend that I play the Infamous Collection on the PS3 first?

Thanks for the show fellas!

I have never played an Infamous game but I am interested in getting the upcoming PS4 game. Do you recommend that I play the Infamous Collection on the PS3 first?
I not certain but it seems like the PS4 Infamous is more like a hollywood style "re-boot" of the series so I doubt that you'd be missing anything critical; however, the PS3 Infamous games are all good games so if you like playing good games I do recommend playing the PS3 Infamous collection.

@Everyone

Here's a prediction for you: Infamous Second Son will outsell Titanfall by year's end 2014. QFTme if you like but I think this is bound to happen because a greater % of former (ps3) gen gamers have enjoyed playing the series thanks to PS+ whereas unless Titanfall get a $$HUGE$$ marketing push I dunno if anyone but the most hardcore are even aware it is something that's about to exist.

@CagCrew

Enter me in the contests to win everything so that when I lose I'll lose everything.

South Park - Stick of Truth is a game that I've been sorta excited about and then all of the sudden I want it like it's a cold beer after a horrible day.  It looks absolutely incredible.  Very faithful tot he source material and super story-driven.  

Just paid off Titanfall.  Not sure when I'm going to get to play it though.  PvZ Garden Warfare is going to suck a lot of the limited free time I have.  Garden Warfare is legit.  Good good time right there.  

Also you guys make me cringe when you talk about Excel.  Some bad times in my life are spent in front of some spreadsheets.  

Really enjoyed the Xbox One rant. You guys were really on point with addressing issues and possible solutions.

Also, nice call, Shipwreck, on the Peggle 2 DLC. I forgot that was suppose to be a thing by now.

And I'm interested in the Super League Football table.

Good show but, I gotta say... you don't stop being a parent just because you're recording a show. The way Cheapy speaks to his son on this episode makes it sound more like he treats Tai as a roommate. "Dude, I'm recording a show!" You could pause the recording or just let Wombat and Shipwreck chat for a few minutes. Then he starts crying and you just tell him not to? That's kinda fucked up.

Great talk about the Xbox One Titanfall bundle, I had no idea how little support there was for Kinect on Xbox One

I am interested in one of the PS4 Super League Football codes.

Are you really going to comment on his parenting skills? Really? I call my son dude or buddy all the time. Don't judge someone, especially someone you know very little about. Anyway, great show guys. I enjoyed it.

I zoned out for a minute, and when I started paying attention again, you guys were having a spirited discussion about Heroes. What the fuck happened???

Other than that (or partially because of that?), great show!

EDIT: oops, didn't know about the Super League Football giveaway. Please enter me in the drawing!

Thanks for the great episode as always! Even if there's a bunch of people that are Infamous fans, I still agree with the "Nobody cares about Infamous." I'm a huge fan of Tekken and it has lots of fans, but I'd say "Nobody cares about Tekken", because the hot games for fighting are Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and Marvel vs Capcom.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the first Infamous and even after platinuming it, continued to play it. I got so bored with Infamous 2 and didn't care to finish it. I hated the characters, the story was derivative, there were a bunch of glitches, and the gameplay barely changed and was repetitive. The new powers were just an aesthetic. I hope Second Son is good, because Infamous 2 was a waste of my money.

Great show. I just picked up PvZ Garden Warfare and installed it on Xbox One but haven't had a chance to play it. Hoping to get it this weekend.

I'm picking up Infamous Second Son just to play something new on PS4.
I'm also buying a demo for Metal Gear.
How come you have not really talked much about Konami selling basically a demo of Metal Gear V?

I would love a code for Super League Football. Zen Pinball is fantastic.

Ship..'it's been a long time since a Donkey Kong game didn't have motion controls.'... ??? 9 months is a long time? 

I think I kind of feel duped about this Titanfall bundle. Knowing now about how many systems are available, and that for my same $500 I could have gotten a pack-in game and additional month of gold, I would have waited the 4 months.  If it had been a year I wouldn't have thought twice, but 4 months feels kinda shady.  So far I haven't had regret about the PS4 despite only playing Don't Starve and Warframe on it, but maybe it's just a matter of time before Sony does something like this too.  

I'm in for one of those Super League Football codes.  I'm still playing Zen Pinball/Pinball FX on the regular, and it's nice that I can play on the PS4 without having to buy the tables again.  

CAG #356

2:00 Ship's home cabling
5:45 Show Feedback
5:45 - Infamous
10:30 Watch This
10:30 - Heroes v2.0
15:15 New Releases
15:30 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
18:30 - Thief
22:45 - Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
31:30 - Professor Layton
32:30 - Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
34:45 - Shipwreck
36:00 Titanfall bundle + price drops; XboxOne complaints & more weird MS decisions
49:30 XboxOne Indie game announcement
51:00 PS4 low game attachment
51:45 Super League Football
55:45 .15% of mobile f2p gamers account for 50% of revenue
56:45 Tony Hawk mobile
58:30 Cagbag
58:30 - Diablo III patch
59:45 - Twitch Plays Pokemon
1:00:30 - Titanfall in Japan
1:00:45 - Last of Us DLC on PS4?

I totally brainfarted, Cheapy. I was gonna ask you guys about the new Godzilla trailer but GotG came out for some reason. What did you guys think of that trailer? Please forgive me.

Awesome podcast guys! I agree with this Titanfall bundle kinda being shenanigans, I'm tired of paying early adopter tax on new consoles.

I'd love one of those Super League Pinball codes too, sounds sweet!

This wasn't the context that Wombat used it in but when he said it's time to move forward, I think that it should be applied to all the "Why didn't Microsoft do such and such?" discussion. Basically, all the rumors point to Microsoft rushing the console after realizing that Sony was launching the PS4 in the same year they announced it (in the past, the cycle from announce to release was longer). On top of that, they had to change all their online requirements and digital plans, all while undergoing a restructuring across the entire company. 

When you boil it down though, Microsoft is only at most a couple million console sales behind whereas if they hadn't launched, they would be 5.3 million consoles behind already. Plus, all the negative press has put them on their heels and improvements are coming quickly. The March update solves a ton of problems, for example. Friends app is great now, party chat is easy to use and set up (because it is nearly identical to 360), well-integrated Twitch streaming and archiving, surround sound works with Astros/Turtle Beach headsets again, and turning off gestures controls while watching videos is a god send. A lot of good things are coming from them being in second place.

As for Kinect games, all of the ID@Xbox developers (and those 60+ names were new additions - total announced is around 200 or so and those are only the devs who have received dev kits) have complete access to the system. I know a few of them are working on crazy Kinect stuff and while it would be nice to have those games now, its good to know that things are coming. More games are set to be released and announced in March after GDC and BUILD.

As always, love the show and would love to get one of those PS4 Zen Pinball codes! Thanks!

I'm not a hockey fan, but a hockey themed pinball table is a fantastic idea. Who could turn down an ice level in a pinball game? Note: for full effect they would need to license the ice level music from the snes Donkey Kong Country.

Thanks for podcast, enjoyed it. I already have Super League Pinball, but wouldn't mind a different skin if that's an option. Didn't know they had skins when I bought it.

EDIT: Looking it up, I guess these skins are separate and complete copies of the game? I don't need to take someones chance at the game for a skin. Felt good knowing I owned every table they've ever released with all the boxes filled, and now this skin thing puts a wrinkle in that.

Good show but, I gotta say... you don't stop being a parent just because you're recording a show. The way Cheapy speaks to his son on this episode makes it sound more like he treats Tai as a roommate. "Dude, I'm recording a show!" You could pause the recording or just let Wombat and Shipwreck chat for a few minutes. Then he starts crying and you just tell him not to? That's kinda fucked up.
Why are you going there? Cheapy has a great and close relationship with his son, and you can't always drop everything because your child is stuck in a video game. I wouldn't want to be around a kid raised by a parent that didn't set some rules or kindly try to encourage them not to cry, and that's all he was doing. Anyway, don't want to start a back and forth on this, just think it's best we not go there.

When they initially announced Infamous: Second Son last year my initial reaction was very meh. I had played a little of the first game and just wasn't into it. But I had gotten the two games free through PS+ so I decided to give them a real try and ended up enjoying them a lot. The first one doesn't hold up extremely well but the traversal aspect is very fun whether climbing or grinding across things and is good for being an extremely early PS3 title. The second one improves drastically gameplay wise with even better traversal and fun powers along with what I thought was a pretty good storyline (though the actual boss battles were weak in both games IMHO but they weren't major parts of the games) and so now I'm extremely pumped for the new one.

Hey Guys,

Another great show.

Wombat said it right, XBox One is lacking arcade games in the online store. I remember the reason why I bought the 360 was Geometry Wars. My friend invited me over, and I was sold after playing a couple rounds. Also, Shipwreck had be chuckling by trying to defend the XBox One position with Peggle 2, like a good captain, he sunk with his argument.

I feel Microsoft can gain momentum if they adopt the PS2 strategy, build a extensive gaming library with numerous RPGs and adventure games. The company needs to relax on the annual-renewing franchises FPS (i.e. Call of Duty) and sport games (i.e. Madden) and push from better quality games.

Please enter me to the contest for the South Park Stick of Truth game.

Listening to this episode makes me happy I waited to jump into next-gen. 

PS: Enter me in the South Park contest please! (hope this is the right place for that)

Infamous have always been "good" games, but never anything to the degree of an Uncharted game. The formula was feeling a little stale in the second one for me personally, but this new one should be a big leap forward so i'm set for day 1 on it. I liked the story a lot more in the first one. The second one had too many big monsters and felt a little more childish.

I've been playing DKC nonstop since it came out. Lot of value in that game. I'm at 103% completion which requires you collect all the KONG letters and beat all the secret levels then start hard mode levels. It goes up to 200% if you beat all the hard mode levels. Puzzle pieces don't contribute to % but unlock art. Only the dioramas were really worth unlocking which come from secret level puzzle pieces. Tons of throwbacks to the original games and the music is excellent. Huge variety in the musical intruments playing with new tracks and mashups with classic tunes. You don't expect stuff like this to be in a Nintendo game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w&list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x

And it's filled with really diverse music styles. The track with the saxophone early on is fantastic. Def recommend playing it with headphones and the music up.

I will definitely be playing this to 200% because it's a ton of fun to revisit the levels playing as diddy, dixie, or cranky as your primary. They handle completely differently than DK. I actually found diddy was the least useful ally, but he's one of the strongest to use for hardmodes where you only get 1 character because he's so small and fast. There may or may not be a secret moon level if you complete 200% looking at some of the art i've unlocked unless they're just teasing us.

DKC TF is actually easier than the SNES games but its more challenging than DKCR because they made the stages longer and the boss fighters significantly longer with 3 phases per boss. So the bosses were alot more enjoyable. To compensate for the longer levels and bosses, they give you tons and tons of lives and consumables to the point where you'll never run out so you never really have to worry about dying. The challenge doesnt really come until you play the 1-k, 2-k, 3-k etc levels or world 6 & 7. world 7 is not too bad, but the end of the levels are always filled with pitfalls that make you get really good at the start of the level. Basically they made everything up to the end boss easy enough for inexperienced players, but then all the hidden levels are challenging.

2-k and 5-k by far the hardest levels in the game, but not too bad when you learn the timing of everything. I'd recommend playing them before talking about the games difficulty or tossing the game aside. They're actually harder than anythign in the series imo. Especially if you don't wuss out and do 5-k without dixie. 2-k has a few things you have to learn where you'll burn through like 30 lives figuring them out whereas 5-k you won't die as quickly but it's just 3-4 minutes of brutal timing with very few places to catch a break. You'll be dying more on these 2 levels than the rest of the game combined including bosses. But you eventually build in some muscle memory for them and it just comes down to being able to focus on the tricky parts. 6-k is insanely easy so long as you remember to use your ultimate to score a ton of gold hearts.

I always mute eveyrone in online multiplayer games unless playing with friends.

I didnt buy the camera and don't plan on it. Not with all the latest stories about NSA GCHQ harvesting yahoo chat images and wanting to target the kinect cameras next. Not that I have anything worth looking at, but I dont like the idea of someone being able to watch me.

I'm pissed lol ms should give early adopters titanfall as well.  When Nintendo 3ds  price dropped they gave away the 10 games to early adopters.

Funny enough, my grandfather had an old hockey pinball game we played whenever we'd visit him. It was a blast but started breaking down too often. Lame story, I don't care! lol

I am definite Xbox fan and I still am just dumbstruck how they've handled the entire launch and almost all they've done. Price tag, 1080p issues, who-gives-a-shit-about-kinect issues. Gah!

Also, please enter me in the south park stick of truth contest. :)

Listening to this episode makes me happy I waited to jump into next-gen.

PS: Enter me in the South Park contest please! (hope this is the right place for that)
Nope, the South Park & Infamous contests will be on the Contest page when they go live :)

Great Podcast as always. As someone who skipped out on the PS3 the previous gen, I gotta say Infamous never made me go "Hmm, I really wanna play that game", I can't pinpoint why, but it just didn't strike me at all.

I haven't hopped into the new consoles yet, trying to save for a wedding, but I am leaning towards PS4 for some reason. But the fiance is all of a sudden on the hypetrain for Titanfall, and is willing to snag the bundle when it releases. I'm not going to argue with her.

Great Podcast as always. As someone who skipped out on the PS3 the previous gen, I gotta say Infamous never made me go "Hmm, I really wanna play that game", I can't pinpoint why, but it just didn't strike me at all.

I haven't hopped into the new consoles yet, trying to save for a wedding, but I am leaning towards PS4 for some reason. But the fiance is all of a sudden on the hypetrain for Titanfall, and is willing to snag the bundle when it releases. I'm not going to argue with her.
First rule of being a good husband - always listen to your wife! Especially when she is telling you that you should buy video games.

Elope now!!! She's definitely a keeper...don't want to risk losing her! O:)

I totally want to play the new Donkey Kong Country. It looks like a great game. But it's not going to convince me to buy a $300 console. I'd need to see evidence of more great stuff in the pipeline as well as a coherent online story strategy. It pisses me off to no end that I can play some SNES games on my Wii, and some on my 3DS, but none on both. Just let me buy Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Secret of Mana and be able to play it on any Nintendo device that runs a SNES emulator. Why is that so hard?

Cheapy, try yelling "Baka yaro!!!" at the top of your lungs at the little guy next time he barges in on you. It works wonders. 

I thought it was funny that some game designer toiled for years on a Zelda-style game and then named it "Shipwreck" so that you would talk about it on the show, and then Cheapy ignored its existence entirely. That was a classic CAG moment. 

Also please enter me in all contests. ALL.

Great podcast guys - Loved the Poochie reference - it was In Your Face!  Also, winning the South Park game would be equally extreme and In My Face.  Thanks for everything!

I understand the frustration with the lack of games for the Xbox One but to be honest I've been playing more PS3 than PS4 recently.  There just isn't that much out for either new system.  

I was going to ask for the new Pinball FX2 soccer table but in my quest to use my PS4 I paid my $3 so I didn't have to wait.   I guess that proves my point

What's up with Wombat's technical problems? The gremlins in Wombat's PC is having a buffet. I say make him take a happy pill to scary us and gremlins into listen. I was thinking if Cheapy was being a bad dad. The conclusion is Cheapy was reacting to an interruption by a person, not his son. I'm not justifying Cheapy's action, only that he is human. Then again, he did write that letter one thing.

I understand the frustration with the lack of games for the Xbox One but to be honest I've been playing more PS3 than PS4 recently. There just isn't that much out for either new system.

I was going to ask for the new Pinball FX2 soccer table but in my quest to use my PS4 I paid my $3 so I didn't have to wait. I guess that proves my point
Same here. Soon as I finish DKC, i'm moving back to PS3 for castlevania, dark souls 2, payday2, devil may cry, tomb raider, etc. Way too many games to list. My backlog is back up to 63 games. I had worked it down to 30ish before buying a PS4 and getting addicted to Warframe. Ah yes warframe. That's why I dont feel like Wombat feels. that game is pretty sweet and it was free.

And I would argue Warframe is the one game where they actually handle microtransactions well. Because the actual game or grind is the whole fun of the game. You're not required to pump money into the game if you can sell your rare cards for in game currency. Selling and trading for rare stuff was a fun part of that game for me. To get the highest mastery rank, you have to level everything anyways.

For microtransactions to work there needs to be a ton of things to do even if you bought all the advantages and most importantly whatever you're playing actually has to be fun. First off you don't want the people who are actually spending the money to stop playing shortly after dropping money and unlocking everything. Secondly you want to avoid pay for power. I believe it works in warframe because you still have to level all of your cards or pay other people in game currency to trade their leveled stuff. And most of the stuff I sell is all duplicates or leveled up duplicates of stuff that I am trying to get rid of from actually playing the game.lol.

Microtransactions in a lot of games can potentially ruin them by making them too grindy or boring to play. All depends on how smart the game designers are in working in the paid stuff without upsetting the community. Overall i'm not a big fan of microtranations espcecially not in games you already bought, but if its a free game and it has a large community where I can sell duplicates of stuff i dont need to a new player who will put money into the game to support a developer then it just works. They save time. i get a good game completely free aside from the time i put into it. Developers get paid.

Well since no one cares about Infamous I assume you have some extra codes that no one wants. 

I actually have the game on preorder but would be ok with canceling it if I ended up with a free code.  :)

I loved the first one.  

I not certain but it seems like the PS4 Infamous is more like a hollywood style "re-boot" of the series so I doubt that you'd be missing anything critical; however, the PS3 Infamous games are all good games so if you like playing good games I do recommend playing the PS3 Infamous collection.
I'd agree with what BetaDemo said. But I'm not sure if it's a reboot or not but it probably has to be since how the second game's story ended.

bread's done
Back