Wal-Mart will accept Video Game Trade-Ins starting March 26

JamesKelly09

CAGiversary!
Wal-Mart announced today that it will begin accepting video game software trade-ins at 3,100 stores nationwide on March 26.

Here's how Wal-Mart's used-game program works:

• Customers bring their working video games, in the original packaging, to the electronics department.
  • Associates scan the UPC code on the case and evaluate the game for obvious damage such as deep scratches or cracks.
  • The customer is then provided with a trade-in value for each game to accept.
  • The total value accepted by the customer is awarded immediately and can be applied at checkout in a Walmart store or Sam’s Club, or online at Walmart.com or SamsClub.com

http://walmart.cexchange.com/online/home/index.rails

microbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh man, I wonder if this will be like Target's trade in plan mistake like last year.

Here's the issues WM has to overcome:

No cash- lots of GS's trades come from people wanting cash, one of the reasons Target, BB, and TRU trade programs didn't take off. Argument can be made that WM GC is as good as cash, but isn't a Target one as well? Lots of those cash trades are for gas money (yes GS has Shell GC but not all areas have Shell stations and many cash trades are under $25.)

Actually selling the games they take in- You have to make money by selling the games taken in. How many times has the used price of a game at BB been more than the new cost? How about the selection of used games at TRU or Target? Also no rewards program at Walmart.

Condition of the games- GS will take any game in as long as it's not cracked. How will WM handle that? Will they have a return policy, unlike their current used game sales where there's no returns? GS's return policy is one of the best for used games (7 day satisfaction, 30 days defective.)

Pricing the TIV correctly- What happens if Walmart gives stupid amounts of credit for games they won't be able to resell to profit from? What if GS values are greater, as they generally are than BB's outside of BB's 100% bonus weeks?

Employee education- Yeah there's lots of bad GS locations, but even the bad GS's are generally better than Walmart. I've tried to buy stuff at WM in Electronics and just get blank stares. Also what about games w/o serial numbers or games with special serial numbers that are a retailer exclusive like the Target exclusive Square Enix Steelbook games? With as few staffers as WM puts in Electronics, can you imagine the holdups when trades are introduced?

Just some things to think about before all of CAG declares GS dead.

And here...we...go.

:fridge:
It only takes one epic mix up.

So, you flippers are going to have a celebration party tonight with strippers and stuff?
More of a pre-banning party.

I don't think anyone was going to do that. Other than BBY for the last few months and the sporadic mistake/crazy promotion the value just isn't there in trading to these other non-game stores that are just trying to get in on the action. That or they go so hard in the other direction that they're a shooting star and swing back to the other extreme.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/wal-mart-accept-video-game-trade-ins-stores-22950482

"In a call with journalists, Wal-Mart executives said CE Exchange, the company that partnered with them on their trade-in program for smartphones and tablets launched in the fall, will also be in charge of the new video game program.

The value for each trade-in video game will vary by the title, console and age of the game. The amount will range from just a few dollars for older games to $35 and more for newer ones."

I assume, or hope http://cexchange.com/landing/default.aspx have diff deals and programs with different partners. because their partner Radio Shack offers 16.5 for titanfall so if walmart dont offer something better or some kind of bonus, it's gonna be an epic fail

Any good Gamestop to Best Buy to Amazon to Walmart flips?

Last edited:
Just checked some trade in for some games and I am definitely trading some of my games over there.

Killzone Mercenary is $23.06, paid $20 gs credit for it. 

The values are all over the place.  Like a game on Xone and PS4 will vary by $20.  There's a couple next gens that are nearly $40 but their system is such a pain in the ass, even worse than Target's.

Can get $38 for my Dead Rising 3 which is pretty tempting now that I am done with the game.  This could be a very good thing or a very bad thing.  I know I fear it some because of the quality of worker at my local Walmart.  Our electronics department literally knows NOTHING about gaming.  

Thief on PS4 is $8 less than what GS gives for it. Much like BB it's going to be hit or miss if WM has better base TIV than GS, but problem is Walmart won't do promotions like BB does to make up for any differences.

Wow are the trade ins all over the place. CoD: Ghost PS3 is $30 TIV but 360 is $11... Might have to look at Walmart before I sell games on eBay since they are giving more money than what I sell for.

Wonder if there is a limit on how much you can trade on the same item / number of trades. And if you can just buy a Visa or Amazon GC w/ their GC.

Thief on PS4 is $8 less than what GS gives for it. Much like BB it's going to be hit or miss if WM has better base TIV than GS, but problem is Walmart won't do promotions like BB does to make up for any differences.
And only $20 less than what Walmart is giving for the Xone version.

I wonder how they come up with these values considering the odd number of cents given. Searched some older games that would get a dollar or less at GS/BB and it says I could get a couple dollars more at Walmart. There could be some gems for older games and hopefully they have random games with good values like Best Buy used to have. I miss the times of going to Gamestop on a Sunday morning and flipping random used games to Best Buy for big profits.

Here's the issues WM has to overcome:

No cash- lots of GS's trades come from people wanting cash, one of the reasons Target, BB, and TRU trade programs didn't take off. Argument can be made that WM GC is as good as cash, but isn't a Target one as well? Lots of those cash trades are for gas money (yes GS has Shell GC but not all areas have Shell stations and many cash trades are under $25.)

Actually selling the games they take in- You have to make money by selling the games taken in. How many times has the used price of a game at BB been more than the new cost? How about the selection of used games at TRU or Target? Also no rewards program at Walmart.

Condition of the games- GS will take any game in as long as it's not cracked. How will WM handle that? Will they have a return policy, unlike their current used game sales where there's no returns? GS's return policy is one of the best for used games (7 day satisfaction, 30 days defective.)

Pricing the TIV correctly- What happens if Walmart gives stupid amounts of credit for games they won't be able to resell to profit from? What if GS values are greater, as they generally are than BB's outside of BB's 100% bonus weeks?

Employee education- Yeah there's lots of bad GS locations, but even the bad GS's are generally better than Walmart. I've tried to buy stuff at WM in Electronics and just get blank stares. Also what about games w/o serial numbers or games with special serial numbers that are a retailer exclusive like the Target exclusive Square Enix Steelbook games? With as few staffers as WM puts in Electronics, can you imagine the holdups when trades are introduced?

You do have a point. Unless they have a dedicated trading center/employees who know what the hell they are doing I am pretty sure you are going to get an employee who says , "We don't take this game..." even though it is on the web site but because it has a different sku they are going to reject it.

I'm curious what the trade limit per item is - if any. I didn't see any listed and I was able to add 4 of the same item and it went through as a pending trade.

FYI - there doesn't appear to be a way to cancel a submitted trade. It also must be shipped within 10 days. Shipping is done via FedEx.

I didn't think TRU was discussed that much here. Gamers Factory who handled the trades went out of business. Some of the trade in values they and were awesome like $12.25 for Steel Diver when it was $5 at Best Buy. They also didn't advertise it well and almost every time I went to trade games at TRU the person at customer service had no idea how to process the trade.

If Mario Kart DS didn't have the save file tied to the cartridge, I would get rid of it for $23 and rebuy it later

bread's done
Back