* * * * - 29 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 12/16: Holiday Sale Wk 3 ($6 Terraria PS4/Vita, $3 Hotline Miami, $7.49 Child of Light, $8 Last Tinker, $9 Pier Solar)

#5191 Investor9872   CAG Supremo! CAGiversary!   2036 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Investor9872

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Surak, you're being a jerk. Kindly stop.

I didn't care for Final Fantasy VII. Didn't like the muddy, confusing graphics, didn't like the characters, didn't like the tepid, poorly translated story, didn't like the overblown spell animations. Also, the key character death thing had already been done in Phantasy Star II, so its inclusion here is not as ground-breaking as its fans insist. People are free to like what they please, but FF VII left a bad taste in my mouth back in 1999 and I'm not eager to give it a second chance fifteen years later.

I had the exact opposite experience with FF7.  I adored FF7.  But I absolutely hated FF8.  I loved FF9 and FF10 as well.  Couldn't finish FF12 or FF13.

#5192 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68985 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Played some Road Not Taken and I'm starting to get a hang of that game, which is sort of like a mix between Threes and a roguelike. I got to the third day on my second run before running out of energy.

I also played The Swapper and the revelation moment where I realized that is amazing. I can't wait to play more of that.

#5193 mpaullin   Fission Mailed CAGiversary!   4684 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I also played The Swapper and the revelation moment where I realized that is amazing. I can't wait to play more of that.

Totally. This game is great at dishing out aha moments. Don't feel like spoilering, but discovering you can travel up to really high platforms was also pretty cool.

#5194 Stingermck   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   597 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Stingermck

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

So whats the word on BF4 these days? Still broken and not worth my time? Or worth the discount?

#5195 Investor9872   CAG Supremo! CAGiversary!   2036 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Investor9872

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I still try to play BF4 every now and then, but I quickly go back to BF3 after a game or two of BF4.

#5196 1teaney  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Having dealt with all these issues for years, I can say the sanest answer is simple:

You have "enough funding" to buy them.  Just do it.  Pull the trigger.  The relief you'll feel will be instantaneous, verses struggling over the decision for the next week.   I mean, it's not like you're going to ever play any of them, but it's worth the price of purchase just to stop thinking about it.

To answer your questions:

1) I think ps1/psp games look fantastic on the vita.   Improved, if anything due to relative screen size. 

2) Playing FFX would be better on vita even if the IQ was slightly worse.  Suspend resume.  Plus if you have the rest on a vita page, it would be lonely on your ps3.

3) Passable.

4) You're talking to a roomful of addicts.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think I was the only addict in the place, but needed that reassurance. I'll pull the trigger after work.

#5197 Wrencrest   Fuck Pharmacrest. What an asshole. CAGiversary!   18984 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I didn't care for Final Fantasy VII. Didn't like the muddy, confusing graphics, didn't like the characters, didn't like the tepid, poorly translated story, didn't like the overblown spell animations. Also, the key character death thing had already been done in Phantasy Star II, so its inclusion here is not as ground-breaking as its fans insist. People are free to like what they please, but FF VII left a bad taste in my mouth back in 1999 and I'm not eager to give it a second chance fifteen years later.

blasphemy

#5198 midloo   User No. 2 CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

So whats the word on BF4 these days? Still broken and not worth my time? Or worth the discount?

FWIW, I'm finally going to take the plunge on the PS4 version this week.  I think that's a good enough price for Premium for me.  I've played on the Xbox One and enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit.  It can't touch the PC version in terms of performance, but it gets a lot closer on the PS4 than it does on any other console.  

The DLC that has been released so far has been well done from what I've heard. 

I also like the unlock progression on BF4 more than BF3.  I feel like you get to the good stuff a lot sooner. Starting out against high level opponents isn't so painful for so long. 

#5199 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

I remember the first time I saw one of my friends playing FFVII and being very impressed by the visuals and cut scenes.  But by the time I actually got around to playing the game (I bought a PS1 a little later in its cycle when Gran Turismo came out), I found myself underwhelmed overall.

Now Legend of the Dragoon?  I enjoy it more than FFVIII.

#5200 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   12290 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

is battlefield 4 still broken as people say it is ?

#5201 kelo360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1736 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

FWIW, I'm finally going to take the plunge on the PS4 version this week. I think that's a good enough price for Premium for me. I've played on the Xbox One and enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit. It can't touch the PC version in terms of performance, but it gets a lot closer on the PS4 than it does on any other console.

The DLC that has been released so far has been well done from what I've heard.

I also like the unlock progression on BF4 more than BF3. I feel like you get to the good stuff a lot sooner. Starting out against high level opponents isn't so painful for so long.

So that premium version also includes the main game? The site reads like this is the premium map pack only...

#5202 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68985 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I played a few hours in the recent 2XP weekend and had no problems other than sucking at it. SP also had no issues.

#5203 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68985 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

So that premium version also includes the main game? The site reads like this is the premium map pack only...

It's just the map packs and other small bonuses.

#5204 Sizemore44   Old School Lurker CAGiversary!   117 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Sizemore44

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

i bought a copy for 7 bucks and felt like it plays like a f2p game.  I'll get shot from impossible angles, see some guy shoot me and he's scooting around on his kness, etc.  Either hit detection or netcode is still meh.  I'll have 5 hit markers on someone who will kill me with one shot when we're using the same gun, etc.  It's fun when a few of my friends get on, but i think that's in spite of the game.

#5205 U BE DA MAN   Go Pats! CAGiversary!   472 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

U BE DA MAN

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Not worth it at all. It's not laggy and you don't get kicked anymore but there are still a lot of problems. Also bugs aside it's just a bad battlefield game IMO.

#5206 Pennet   CAG CAGiversary!   46 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Does Amazon Price match this? I wouldn't mind picking up the Vita FF10/X-2 for $20 using the credit I have there.

#5207 Pennet   CAG CAGiversary!   46 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

This is a dumb question, but is there any way to pay a remaining balance on your PS Wallet, rather than adding funds in $5-10 increments? I have $1.10 currently and would like to pay the remaining 3.89, rather than adding money and still having $1.10 remaining. I know this is possible in the Nintendo eshop, but I haven't seen a way to do it for Playstation Wallet. Is there anything that I might be missing?

Yes! I do this all the time. I use my debit card though, but they always eat up whatever I have in my PSN Wallet, then deduct the remaining amount from my card.

#5208 CozmoKhan   Go Blackhawks! CAGiversary!   895 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I need someone to convince me that I need the Persona games for $5 each. I played through P4G twice, back-to-back and I'm not sure if I should get P, P2 and P3P...

#5209 Pennet   CAG CAGiversary!   46 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

I need someone to convince me that I need the Persona games for $5 each. I played through P4G twice, back-to-back and I'm not sure if I should get P, P2 and P3P...

They're worth getting, otherwise the series wouldn't have such a huge following.

Although if you need someone to convince you to get something, then I highly doubt you want it in the first place.

#5210 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Although if you need someone to convince you to get something, then I highly doubt you want it in the first place.

The CAG boards are no place for this kind of logic!

#5211 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4674 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

Road Not Taken is... well, pretty amazing.  It's one of the more unique games I've ever played, in an industry where 'unique' is hard to do.   They developed Triple Town, which was also (afaik) pretty unique at the time, and eventually led to games like Threes.

Gameplay is simple yet difficult (the best kind).   Each area/dungeon are connected rooms.  You move around a grid, and can push objects -- different combinations create different effects (some surprising, some awesome, some dangerous, once discovered they get logged in your journal for reference).   Moving/pushing is free, carrying something costs energy points.     Most rooms have locked doors which require certain combinations (ie, 3 connected trees).

I'm only in an hour or so, but it's clear there's a wealth of content.   I've accidentally created demons and infinitely spreading ivy (thankfully, i had a goat to eat the ivy). 

Meanwhile, you need to reunite children with parents to clear each dungeon/year.   There are 15 years.  If you die... you start over, like a standard roguelike.    In many ways, this is very much a 'true' roguelike, turnbased, exploration based, permadeath... but with the standard exploration/combat mechanics turned on their head.  Instead of standard rpg conventions (move, open door, attack, quaff potion) you're doing all these things by carefully moving/throwing items in a grand puzzle.

Certainly not for everyone, but I think this game is ingenious.   Perfect for people who like complex puzzles.

#5212 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3268 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I wish I could report back with the same enthusiasm about the games I've tried from this update, lol. Not feeling Metrico at all. And Proteus? Just pure unadulterated pretentious bullshit. I can do weird and esoteric. I can do unconventional. But I played for 15 minutes and deleted it. @Squirrel, you reviewed this?! Link me if so.

Guess I'll give Swapper another try on PC now since some you like it.

On a positive note, Fez is still freaking sublime. I don't care how big a dick the dev is. Love it. Going to try to 100% it this time.

Also playing Far Cry 3 though that obviously isn't from PS+. Yeah, the story got pretty dumb mid-way through but it's a blast. I only regret not turning the difficulty up as it's fairly easy.

#5213 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30637 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

I wish I could report back with the same enthusiasm about the games I've tried from this update, lol. Not feeling Metrico at all. And Proteus? Just pure unadulterated pretentious bullshit. I can do weird and esoteric. I can do unconventional. But I played for 15 minutes and deleted it. @Squirrel, you reviewed this?! Link me if so.

Guess I'll give Swapper another try on PC now since some you like it.

On a positive note, Fez is still freaking sublime. I don't care how big a dick the dev is. Love it. Going to try to 100% it this time.

Also playing Far Cry 3 though that obviously isn't from PS+. Yeah, the story got pretty dumb mid-way through but it's a blast. I only regret not turning the difficulty up as it's fairly easy.

Keep in mind he eats unadulterated pretentious bullshit for breakfast.  He loves the stuff!

Also, are you on medium on Far Cry 3?  I'm on medium and seem to die fairly regularly.  But I do kinda suck at FPS games.

And yeah, the story turn at the mid point kinda makes me want to throw up.

#5214 Slade   Coordinated Insanity CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=JoqDYcCDOTg

If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.

Outside of maybe facts and actual useful information and lord knows I can't be bothered. 

#5215 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3268 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Keep in mind he eats unadulterated pretentious bullshit for breakfast. He loves the stuff!

Also, are you on medium on Far Cry 3? I'm on medium and seem to die fairly regularly. But I do kinda suck at FPS games.

And yeah, the story turn at the mid point kinda makes me want to throw up.

No, you're right. I love artsy and pretentious shit. No shame. But Proteus is even beyond me. I want to contact the developers and ask "WTF?"

I don't know what difficulty I'm on, actually. I'm assuming default...the one where it asks if you've played FPSs before. I think I messed up by over-leveling before tackling the story missions. I cleared out all the radio towers and posts so I have all the weapons and most of the perks.

And the story...smh. It's silly. The writer claims he made it that way deliberately as some sort of commentary on video games. Not buying it. But like I said, I'm having enough fun with shooting shit that I'll let it pass.

#5216 JCAll   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1987 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Well for Persona 2 and 3 you need to buy the PS1 version of P2 and the FES version of P3 on the PS2 in order to get the whole story.  I'm still holding out hope that they both get another rerelease some time in the future.  P1 is good though, in that 90s kind of way.

#5217 Blabadon   I just like video games CAGiversary!   2276 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

You have no idea what pretentious means if you think Proteus is pretentious

#5218 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

http://steamcommunit...?snr=1_5_9__402

Keep in mind he eats unadulterated pretentious bullshit for breakfast.  He loves the stuff!

Oh come on, at least I gave Pretentious Game (actual title) a negative review, that has to count for something.

At least half the internet uses it without knowing what it means.

#5219 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68985 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

The internet definition of pretentious is being weird just to be weird, right?

#5220 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3268 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm sorry, is there an objective way to apply the word? Enlighten me if so. The game (and I'm being generous by calling it that) is shallow to me. More power to anyone able to glean some meaning out of aimlessly wandering around an island constructed from MS Paint assets.