* * * * - 29 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 12/16: Holiday Sale Wk 3 ($6 Terraria PS4/Vita, $3 Hotline Miami, $7.49 Child of Light, $8 Last Tinker, $9 Pier Solar)

#1351 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I finally beat that level last yesterday. It was the only one from the first 20 that I hadn't completed mostly because of that part. When I did beat it it was with 97 diamonds because I didn't jump right down the middle so I had to beat it again. After the checkpoint it gives you an opportunity to jump down from the very top but I knew I'd die more doing that than starting over. Now I have 3 more levels left in the ghost world before going back to complete most of the bonus levels.

I could not get all the diamonds jumping down without messing up my timing on the jump. What I did instead, was continue through the level until I get the checkpoint, and work my way up and to the top right, just following the normal level progression. Eventually you end up on that platform to the right of that drop, with the eyeballs on the left. I dropped to grab the diamonds I was missing, and then made my way back to the right. You do a little backtracking, but all the enemies are already cleared out so it's just simple platforming at that point. If you die though, you start at the checkpoint and all the enemies are back, so you have to kill them all over again. At least you don't have to deal with the first part of the level. Everything in that level, other than that one drop/hover to the sword dude is easy squeezie.

#1352 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1684 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I like Terraria quite a bit, but the lack of direction is somewhat confusing.  I wandered into a boss, with wooden armor and a wooden sword, of course I got killed.  I know I need to make better equipment, but have no idea what I should have in order to be able to beat a boss.

I agree with Frisky, the broadsword makes a world of difference with the huge arcs.  Certain slimes and vultures were very annoying with the basic sword that you thrust straight out.

#1353 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yep. I don't think it would matter though if you're playing patched/unpatched. If you transfer your save, don't you have to be signed in? And to be signed in, you'd have to update. So they just killed off the cross-save basically, unless you're not playing for trophies at all. (And who does that?)

Touche, I forgot about having to be signed in. So yeah, you're right they just kind of ruined it. I'm not sure why they couldn't do something to just disable the auto-pop of those trophies. I didn't just use the cross save for trophy popping, I actually used it to transfer my save to keep playing. I went on a work trip for two weeks, so I transferred my save, played on the Vita while I was gone, and continued on the PS3 when I got back. If the trophies were disabled, I honestly would have never done that, I would have just played something else until I got back.

#1354 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

I like Terraria quite a bit, but the lack of direction is somewhat confusing.  I wandered into a boss, with wooden armor and a wooden sword, of course I got killed.  I know I need to make better equipment, but have no idea what I should have in order to be able to beat a boss.

I agree with Frisky, the broadsword makes a world of difference with the huge arcs.  Certain slimes and vultures were very annoying with the basic sword that you thrust straight out.

I followed a lot of wiki's on how to make items. And then a friend of mine was like hey have some stuff and gave me a bunch of cool gear. Stuff isn't hard to make though, it's just knowing what you need to make it. Most of the items/materials are pretty abundant. 

#1355 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1684 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

I followed a lot of wiki's on how to make items. And then a friend of mine was like hey have some stuff and gave me a bunch of cool gear. Stuff isn't hard to make though, it's just knowing what you need to make it. Most of the items/materials are pretty abundant. 

Yeah, I just didn't really want to read along with the wiki while I played.  I have looked at the crafting in game and made specific items, but I get distracted since I have no clear goal.  I've had quite a bit of fun messing around in the game, I just don't have a clear direction of what I'm trying to do.  I'd like to kill the boss at some point, but then I get distracted and did as ar down as I can until I die.  Then I wander off in another direction, and find something else that I'd like to come back to.

#1356 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Anyone here get the Lego Marvel plat on PS4? How much of a grind is it?

#1357 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, I just didn't really want to read along with the wiki while I played.  I have looked at the crafting in game and made specific items, but I get distracted since I have no clear goal.  I've had quite a bit of fun messing around in the game, I just don't have a clear direction of what I'm trying to do.  I'd like to kill the boss at some point, but then I get distracted and did as ar down as I can until I die.  Then I wander off in another direction, and find something else that I'd like to come back to.

I hear you. I didn't really follow along with the wiki's while I played. More like I had them readily available if I needed them. They're really only good for finding out what you need to make something, since each world is randomly generated. I personally used the trophies as a goal. "Ok, I need to kill this certain boss...what do I first have to do to summon him." And then work on getting that stuff. Or finding NPCs, fighting goblins, stuff like that. 

#1358 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'd also just like to mention that I'm super pumped about my night of Money in the Bank and Mutant Mudds. It's going to be quite eventful.

#1359 randamin  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Okay, I might be in the market for a vita so I need a little bit of vita insight here. 

I was thinking of just going new but the Borderlands bundle is sold out everywhere and ebay prices are through the roof.... when did that happen???  I know a few of you have gone with cowboom and awd... any suggestions? 

Fry's has Sony refurb Vita OLED models in stock online. One of them is just the Vita itself with power adapter obviously for $170 and the other is a bundle with a case, physical copy of BL2, and a refurb Vita OLED for $190. If you don't want the game it can be sold and use the money towards a 16GB memory card. 

#1360 Vigilante   Hold On to That Hatred CAGiversary!   37212 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

I have no idea how recent it was, but was definitely a later patch. I only learned about it cause I have both versions collecting dust and was curious (glad I looked it up though, cause I would have done that myself)

Well that's lame. I can understand why they did it though. I had someone actually call me out on my MGS3 trophies because they didn't know you could auto-pop them by transferring your save. So hopefully Vigisaurus is playing unpatched.

That totally sucks, guys. I had planned on transfarring to the Vita version once I got the trophies for the VR missions, Snake Tales, and Boss Survival so I could work on the dogtags in the campaign on-the-go. :wall:

Now unless I want to start all over again with the VR missions (ha!), I'm going to have that lame 4% completion rate for the Vita version taunting me on my PSNProfiles account... :headache:

#1361 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3269 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

I know people (like you) love it, but I'm just struggling with the combat. Not that it's difficult -- more that it seems imprecise and easy to mess up, and I wouldn't want to get deep into the game with a nice fortress and then die to a slime.

I've never once felt that level of control in combat in terrarria, and it puts me off. I'd far rather the terrarria 'world' over spelunky (mining, building, exploring) but... yegads. I dig myself into a pit then spend 5 minutes trying to get platforms built correctly to jump out, then spend another 5 minutes trying to get out, then a slime jumps in the pit with me and i don't have any room to maneuver and i'm dead. Or I spend 5 minutes trying to build some walls (to bang my head against), then a slime gets in there with me and i'm dead.

perhaps i just need to spend more time with it, which is why i posted. i'm just not used to finding games particularly 'difficult' from a control perspective. i like difficult games (be it from a strategy or arcade perspective) but thats assuming the challenge is from the game itself, not me struggling with the controls.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the game was designed around a mouse+keyboard input so I understand the frustration. It's why I stayed away from ranged weapons in the beginning. But as I said before when you upgrade hardware and abilities it becomes a lot easier to manage. Hell, you'll become OP at various points. Any pickaxe or broadsword will be your friend. ALSO - the PS3/Vita have two cursor modes - smart & manual (activated by L3 on PS3; touchscreen on vita). Not sure if you've tried experimenting with these. I exclusively use 'smart', but it defaults to manual everytime I boot it up.

I wonder why KB+M isn't offered as an option on some console games. I believe Counter Strike has it.

#1362 laundrymatt  

laundrymatt

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

when the Vita slim bundle is sold out everywhere people get desperate and do things that are out of the ordinary to obtain one.

No. You talk about it like they're never making the Vita again. That's not the case at all. And also not seeing how that helps you obtain one. Would you not have just obtained one at Fry's? Bad prices either way, it's not worth it. If you don't have a Vita yet, you're not gonna die having to wait a little while for more stock at this point.

That totally sucks, guys. I had planned on transfarring to the Vita version once I got the trophies for the VR missions, Snake Tales, and Boss Survival so I could work on the dogtags in the campaign on-the-go. :wall:

Now unless I want to start all over again with the VR missions (ha!), I'm going to have that lame 4% completion rate for the Vita version taunting me on my PSNProfiles account... :headache:

Yeah, it was a pretty dumb decision on their part to do it like that. Surely there was another way around the auto pop trophies. Edit: You're wanting to do the auto-pop, lol. Missed that part the first time. Maybe there is a tranfar work-around?

#1363 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16710 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

the open world stuff is grindy, and the flying races are mostly awful. you'll find yourself using 1/100 of the available characters for most everything, but I've seen worse. if you like marvel it makes it more tolerable, but after doing it I've sworn off lego games.

#1364 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Werent a few people here playing PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate? Are the online trophies really that tough? Looks like win 5 in a row might be the most difficult.

#1365 rpg  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Werent a few people here playing PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate? Are the online trophies really that tough? Looks like win 5 in a row might be the most difficult.

u need ps4 + vita = simple lol

#1366 TheCro   wot CAGiversary!   4604 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Everybody sucks at the game.

#1367 rpg  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Fuck :censored: small enemies, hate them. :bomb:

2014-06-29-120745.jpg

#1368 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

the open world stuff is grindy, and the flying races are mostly awful. you'll find yourself using 1/100 of the available characters for most everything, but I've seen worse. if you like marvel it makes it more tolerable, but after doing it I've sworn off lego games.

Yeah, the flying races seem like the worst part.  I'll probably try to unlock all the characters anyway though as I like doing that in Lego games.  Currently around 45% complete after beating the main story and doing a good chunk of the open world stuff.

#1369 ByeHaveABeautifulTime!  

ByeHaveABeautifulTime!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

If you've played other lego games you know what to expect.  As pete said, the flying missions are the worst thing about it but they're not too bad. 

#1370 rpg  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, the flying races seem like the worst part.  I'll probably try to unlock all the characters anyway though as I like doing that in Lego games.  Currently around 45% complete after beating the main story and doing a good chunk of the open world stuff.

unlock Wasp, character is so tiny when flying.

#1371 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Fuck :censored: small enemies, hate them. :bomb:

attachicon.gif2014-06-29-120745.jpg

Kill the right one, then the middle one, and just jump/hover over the left one. Easy.

#1372 TheCro   wot CAGiversary!   4604 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yay for playing co-op with people with mics.....that don't even use them. Trying to talk to these guys and they don't even respond. I can just hear them breathing and coughing the whole game. Hella annoying.

#1373 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Everybody sucks at the game.

So were you just able to get it legit with no issues? Boosting seems almost impossible.

#1374 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yea that's the only tough one..I'm sitting at a 2 win streak, and scared to play another unless I boost it.

#1375 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3269 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yet another game with some ridiculous trophies. I don't understand how this doesn't bother more of you. It basically requires you to boost and even that's become difficult after the patch. Of course, since it's cross-play, you can potentially match up with yourself but isn't that cheap and totally at odds with the game's design?

#1376 Wrencrest   Fuck Pharmacrest. What an asshole. CAGiversary!   18984 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yet another game with some ridiculous trophies. I don't understand how this doesn't bother more of you. It basically requires you to boost and even that's become difficult after the patch. Of course, since it's cross-play, you can potentially match up with yourself but isn't that cheap and totally at odds with the game's design?

all competitive online trophies are a joke.

#1377 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Listen, man, I hear you loud and clear. I know some trophies suck, but I'm just not complaining because I know no one is listening. Devs put MP trophies in games thinking it's going to boost the long term playability (is that a word?) of the game, but they're usually screwed up and never work out. Games that don't stand a chance at having long term success should definitely avoid MP trophies, or simply not be allowed them. Any studio that's ever shut down a game's MP/servers within a certain time period should be banned from putting MP trophies in their games. I thought the MP trophies for GTA V were OK. But if you want to throw in MP trophies, keep them on the non ridiculous side. Let them be fun, and not something people have to sit there and grind out for 100s of hours for no reason other than you're afraid it's the only reason some people are going to keep playing the game.

#1378 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

I am excited I threw mutant muffs on my vita to play later after the praise its getting on here

#1379 TheCro   wot CAGiversary!   4604 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

So were you just able to get it legit with no issues? Boosting seems almost impossible.

No. I played like 2 games legit and then just self-boosted the rest. Shit was far too laggy to play.

#1380 mpaullin   Fission Mailed CAGiversary!   4685 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am excited I threw mutant muffs on my vita to play later after the praise its getting on here

I realize that's a typo, but that sounds like an awesome and terrifying game.