* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#101881 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11095 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

Got a lian li case like 12 years ago and I'll probably never get another.  Sure, it doesn't have a lot of ports built into the case, but I have six empty 5.25 drive bays that I could add a thingy to add more usb3s and extsats and stuff if I cared about that stuff.

I still have this bad boy hanging around my house with no plans to toss it.

#101882 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8905 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

I'm not a fan of windows and lights, but I appreciate big, solid cases.

This is very similar to mine.

#101883 weretable   I'm your huckleberry CAGiversary!   994 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

This is mine.  I do not like the side fan, I do not use the stuff on top and a window in a case that isn't designed to hide cables and the like is just ugly.  I'd be fine with one with no window or a fancy RGB-crazy one with good cable management but I am sick of this one.  When I got this case I was looking for a full tower and this one was on clearance for like 50% off or something which is why I bought it in the first place.

#101884 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25634 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

I love my G-Sync on my SC15 gaming laptop.

So, does anyone here have a G-Sync monitor tied to their desktop PC? If yes - what model? Brand? Refresh rate? The whole works.

Been looking around for something with 2560x1440p with some kind of crazy refresh rate of 120hz (or better).

#101885 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4946 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

I bought one of these for a bit more space and USB 3.  Haven't gotten around to moving my components into it yet.

Replacing this classic, which should still see use for secondary and test systems.

Before that Three Hundred I had an Antec Super Lanboy .  It was a bit obnoxious.  Also really cramped and a real pain to work in.

#101886 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   717 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

Monster Hunter World is coming to Steam on August 9th.

:whee:

Wow! I wasn't expecting this before November. 

Yeah and you need an intel processor from 2014 or later by the min. system requirements.

I don't expect much from this port, so PS4 is always an option. It will probably always have a larger playerbase on PS4 anyway, and there's no crossplay on PC (another very bad sign for the quality of this port). Sales have been plummeting (along with Capcom's share prices), so I suspect heavy price cuts on console as well. 

Hopefully they release a free weekend  (or at least the demo they released on console) so people can test out how it runs on their systems. 

#101887 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25634 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Westboro is 86% off at $2.51 on Steam -  https://store.steamp...16060/Westboro/

Looks like an isometric shooter/ARPG. Looks like it reminds me of a mix b/t STALKER games; Fallout 1+2; and Restricted Area.

Anyone played this? Anyone w/ any thoughts on this, if they have played it?

#101888 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9021 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

Westboro Baptist Church, nice.  Great job picking that name. 

just google "westboro" for more details on that game.  or don't.

#101889 weretable   I'm your huckleberry CAGiversary!   994 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

I love my G-Sync on my SC15 gaming laptop.

So, does anyone here have a G-Sync monitor tied to their desktop PC? 

Yes but mine is too much monitor for a Toaster to handle.   

#101890 zenii   cynical sam CAGiversary!   1277 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

I bought one of these for a bit more space and USB 3.  Haven't gotten around to moving my components into it yet.

Replacing this classic, which should still see use for secondary and test systems.

Before that Three Hundred I had an Antec Super Lanboy .  It was a bit obnoxious.  Also really cramped and a real pain to work in.

You wanted something bigger, so you got a black cock hawk?

Such a size queen.

#101891 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1130 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:04 AM

Re: Cases, I got a Define R5 a couple years ago. It's as close to perfect as I could find: Affordable (~$90 at the time), clean aesthetics, good sound dampening, great cable management, easily removable filters. Highly recommend the Define series.

#101892 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4946 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

Re: Cases, I got a Define R5 a couple years ago. It's as close to perfect as I could find: Affordable (~$90 at the time), clean aesthetics, good sound dampening, great cable management, easily removable filters. Highly recommend the Define series.

You and I have a somewhat different definition of affordable.  I spent less than $20.

#101893 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1130 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

You and I have a somewhat different definition of affordable.  I spent less than $20.

To me at least, $90 feels pretty affordable when it's something you know you'll be using for the next decade or so (that's how long my P180 lasted, so I'm planning on the same for this one).

#101894 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4946 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

To me at least, $90 feels pretty affordable when it's something you know you'll be using for the next decade or so (that's how long my P180 lasted, so I'm planning on the same for this one).

Spent more on the Three Hundred, but still less than half of that $90 and it's done fine for eight years or so now.  I don't think longevity is something I'm concerned about for cases.  Build quality, air flow, ease to work with, and aesthetics all seem to have more range of values.

(And by all means that R5 looks to be great in all those areas.  While the Blackhawk I picked up isn't obnoxious, it is not as clean looking as the R5.  I sacrificed a bit on aesthetics and likely some on build quality as well.  But, well, $18 is little enough to be nothing in terms of a PC budget.  I could spend more than that on a single case fan.)

#101895 shrinerr   Are you software people ready to fucking party? CAGiversary!   1357 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 AM

I just spent $20 on a groupees bundle... oh my god what have i done? ugh i think i'm gonna be sick...  :puke:

#101896 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8905 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

2dsc7w.jpg

#101897 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5825 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:59 AM

So I'm sure this will get me kicked out of the computer builders' club, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper Evo something or other rotting in a box at home that my wife probably paid $80-odd for. When I took my i5 CPU out of the box and mounted it to the motherboard and looked at the stock cooler, I said to myself, "Okay, that seems easy enough." Then I got the Cooler Master out, looked at the size of it, compared it to the motherboard and stock cooler, read where it warned you to avoid cracking your motherboard by mounting it incorrectly, put all of that sh*t back in the box, and put the fan/heat sink that came with my CPU on the motherboard and never looked back. I

Stock coolers at stock clock speeds is fine. I've built close to a hundred PCs in my life and have never done more than stock. Never an issue.

#101898 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11095 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Stock speeds are for AMD owners and chumps.  So just the one group.

#101899 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10518 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

I used to have my components in that exact case, before switching to an Air 540 and moving my server into it. Now I have an In Win 303, the server in the Air 540, but still can't justify getting rid of the Lian Li.

#101900 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11095 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

DD83 doesn't like our case, if you want to get together later and talk shit about him.

#101901 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

the antec super lanboy was the greatest case ever made.  i was going to have it buried with me when I died.  Alas vid cards are just too damn big now and lan parties have died.  It was a sad day when I had to mothball mine

#101902 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Stock coolers at stock clock speeds is fine. I've built close to a hundred PCs in my life and have never done more than stock. Never an issue.

Well, you know what I always say: overclocking is for people who know what they're doing.

I always say that, like at least five times a day. People in the supermarket give me funny looks and my coworkers are convinced that there's something new wrong with me.

#101903 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4946 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

the antec super lanboy was the greatest case ever made.  i was going to have it buried with me when I died.  Alas vid cards are just too damn big now and lan parties have died.  It was a sad day when I had to mothball mine

I wasn't at all fond of the thing by the time I stopped using it.  Difficult to get hands and fingers positioned to do anything; the drive cages had loosened; limited space for fitting a GPU.  I was happy to move on.  (I never did lan parties with it.  It was always just on my desk.)

I do miss the drawer, though.

#101904 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21116 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

I got my case from Goodwill.  It's this one:

https://www.amazon.c...1/dp/B006P88VNE

I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.  Hopefully one day I will mod and paint it into something cool.  

#101905 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

The problem with PC cases older than say 2010 on average is that they have sub par cooling. When cases started going to 120mm and 140mm fans, noise levels got a lot better with far better air flow (and then dust filters). Stock cpu fans are fine, I went to them for several years after gettting tired of dealing with non stock setups. But after 1-2 years, you'll be cleaning out that stock fan due to dust and new games pushing the cpu more or living with its high fan speed noise.

#101906 Touch3  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

When I did my last build, I used this one.

The main feature I was looking for was ease of cleaning dust, since my last case collected it like a vacuum.  This one has an air filter on the front, so I can just pop the cover off, vacuum the filter, and I'm done.

#101907 weretable   I'm your huckleberry CAGiversary!   994 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

Part of me wants to go with something like this just because of the possibilities.  But then, that would require thought and effort to do something nice with it so..

#101908 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4946 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Part of me wants to go with something like this just because of the possibilities.  But then, that would require thought and effort to do something nice with it so..

Aye, there's the rub.

I've considered doing my living room PC in some sort of wall-mounted box with acrylic sides and smartly designed RGB lighting.  That would be a lot of work, though.

#101909 CucoGordo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

I have this case in my build.  I like it and it has air filter underneath the power supply.  Don't like the color but I made a deal with a electronics store that wanted me to work a weekend so got this, 980ti video card and mobo for $400 about 3-4 years ago or so.  

#101910 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11095 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

The problem with PC cases older than say 2010 on average is that they have sub par cooling.

I just accept it as given that any stock case fans are garbage and should be replaced anyway.  My old case has a lot of room for 120s plus a couple 140s though if you get old enough (and certainly into Beige Box territory) then yeah the case just doesn't have enough places to mount stuff or holes to move air through.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Steam, Origin, Uplay, DRM-Free, Epic