* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#119491 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11257 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:12 PM

The best part about this post is that an image about how awesome this game's graphics are supposed to be looks like shit and is nearly impossible to read.

Try it with ray tracing activated.

#119492 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11111 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:44 PM

Hair tessellation or GTFO.

#119493 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5809 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:21 AM

Hair tessellation or GTFO.

Is that a sex thing?

#119494 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5269 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:28 AM

Is that a sex thing?

Not usually, but your mom sure turned it into one.

#119495 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:56 AM

Just a heads up to anyone with Comcast that didn't already have a data cap...

Starting January, all Comcast will have a 1.2 TB data cap.

https://www.xfinity....rvice/data?pc=1

#119496 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8554 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:12 AM

Starting January, all Comcast will have a 1.2 TB data cap.

https://www.xfinity....rvice/data?pc=1

They still have unlimited plans, not sure what you are saying. For most of their customers that that applies to, 1.2 TB is an increase to their cap, at least that is how I am reading it.

#119497 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:15 AM

They still have unlimited plans, not sure what you are saying. For most of their customers that that applies to, 1.2 TB is an increase to their cap, at least that is how I am reading it.

There were areas without data caps (without paying extra for unlimited).

January all areas will have data caps (unless you pay for unlimited).

#119498 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5942 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:06 AM

I would like to say once again how much I love my Google overlord and their belief that the internet shouldn't be capped.

#119499 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

I would like to say once again how much I love my Google overlord and their belief that selling uncapped internet is a good way to wrest market share until they control the sector, at which point they can start implementing pricing structures that make them money.

fix'd

#119500 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9369 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:00 PM

Thank you oh benevolent Comcast-Xfinity overlords for allowing us meager peasants another 200 gigabytes during these dark times.  The tithe will be paid in full on the 15th day. 

#119501 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11257 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:12 PM

Google overlords realized they were in over their heads and gave up long before they reached here.  After a couple months of "Oh shit, we're almost at the cap", we gave in and got Comcast unlimited.  Luckily my wife was able to get a rate that was practically the same as before.  I think they were doing some nice deals during the initial quarantine periods if you got in before they ended "unlimited for everyone because Covid".

#119502 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1365 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

Yipes. 

This will be the only time I say "thank goodness for AT&T fiber..."

Forcing me to use their crappy modem/router combo at a premium monthly cost is still better than Comcast.

#119503 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   295 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:55 PM

Hardly a surprise. NVME drives really show their speed for things like video editing, sequential data transfers and maybe running the OS. For loading most software, the difference is a few seconds between them and a sata drive.

But, hey...console speed hype. Maybe there will be games in the future that use the tech but devs have to design with it in mind.

#119504 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26134 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:12 AM

Control (base-game).

After 21h 37m 34s in total here, all according to Epic Game Store's tracking and all, Control (base-game) is now complete. And what a ride it was!

With non-stop shooting and gun-play; floating and levitating in the air (what an awesome & fun skill to use, once you earn that skill); using telekinesis to lift and toss objects (even including humans and enemies, once you level that up) - the game's just an action-packed blast and tons of fun. Oh, and at times, there's some odd puzzles too!

This is such an outstanding action-game & one of the better shooters that I've played since Doom 2016. The story and their characters are bizarre; out there; and totally in another (and their own) galaxy - but still, it's quite good, despite it being often quite purposely obtuse. As long as you can find lots of Lore, learn the lingo, and follow it - you should be fine, even if you don't get all of the answers.

Regardless, the game's a graphical marvel & looks fantastic; runs solid (40fps on my 6GB GTX 1060-based laptop, once I locked the framerate down); the story's always interesting & intriguing; and both the combat and level design's fantastic.

This game is a definite "must play."

#119505 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5942 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:03 AM

But, hey...console speed hype. Maybe there will be games in the future that use the tech but devs have to design with it in mind.

A user in the Borderlands subreddit posted videos showing Borderlands 3 loading on last gen, the last gen refresh, and the new gen loading the game and whstnot...

The increase in speed really cannot be underestimated. It is blistering and worth the hype for console users but most PC user's will likely shrug at it.

The real interesting part will be the size of games which will also expand crazily due to 4K support. I've already seen complaints about the small size of their new SSD. (And with installs being a requirement I imagine it will be tedious if you want to swap between a number of games.)

#119506 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26134 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:22 AM

These consoles better be ready to support any sort of HDD for storage - mechanical w/ big-sized spaces; external mechanical hard drives; any sort of external solid states; etc etc.

This really ain't a problem on PC - as well, you could just install another drive internally or get some externals. Only issue only PC is: do you have the money and want to spend it?

I think w/ now Comcast also instituting data caps - yep, looks like we're gonna be wanting to store our games on external drives just so we don't blow up our data caps here...especially when you got games like last few CoD's wanting to eat up over 230GB.

#119507 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3344 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

These consoles better be ready to support any sort of HDD for storage - mechanical w/ big-sized spaces; external mechanical hard drives; any sort of external solid states; etc etc.

This really ain't a problem on PC - as well, you could just install another drive internally or get some externals. Only issue only PC is: do you have the money and want to spend it?

I think w/ now Comcast also instituting data caps - yep, looks like we're gonna be wanting to store our games on external drives just so we don't blow up our data caps here...especially when you got games like last few CoD's wanting to eat up over 230GB.

I was hoping there would be regulations by now to put an end to data caps, or at the very least increase the cap by a few TB. That would be a good start to 2021. 

#119508 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5942 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

I think both support outside storage now... but thats a guess. With the new SSD setup it might be a bit more complicated than that.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Sony still has the worst downloads possible...  in that you have to have room to download the whole patch at once (aka it cannot download just parts of files like Steam, Xbox does) so you actually need far more room for the game than one would expect.

in good, if really unexpected news, Star Wars Squadrons is going to get post launch DLC.  A new map, custom games, and two new starfighters are coming.  The B-Wing (Surprisingly not in the game from the start) and the Tie Defender, which is a bit more surprising since it was made for a game (The original Star Wars: X-Wing) and not a movie... And the Tie Advance (what Darth Vader flies at the end of A New Hope) was passed over again.

This content will be FREE.  

https://www.eurogame...ers-in-december

#119509 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:26 PM

Lolz at this "test".

Half what he's videoing is the game connecting to an online server, nothing to do with loading data from disk. Other load times are hidden behind intro graphics so you wouldn't be able to tell if it loaded any faster or slower. I don't know what he means by getting "in game", etc. 

It's hilarious to me that he thinks all the data starts loading when he presses "continue", like it's some sort of mechanical switch that starts pouring the data  :lol: .

These videos have exactly zero to do with the advantages in question, but it is a hilarious reminder how little tech journalists understand of what they write about.

#119510 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26134 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:31 PM

Ryzen 5000 series support from ASRock is here for B450 mobo's w/ updates & Asus is coming soon in a few weeks:

PC Gamer's News - https://www.pcgamer....te-motherboard/

ASRock's list of B450 mobo's w/ 5xxx CPU support with an update - http://www.asrock.co...dex.asp?iD=4600

#119511 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:50 PM

Best Buy has the Corsair RM850x for $130 (that's a $15 discount). I ordered one in a hope to eliminate some coil whine in my current set up. I figured I'd post it if someone else is in the market but the idea that $130 is a sale is pretty rough... these PSU prices are really atrocious.

#119512 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8073 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:51 PM

With my low-end hardware, I'll just keep playing low-end games that require hardly any drive space at all.

So, I'm no better or worse off than I was when this conversation started!

Lower your expectations, and you won't be disappointed!

:whee:

#119513 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know benchmarks for hidden object games?

I'm curious if I'll benefit from upgrading my computer.

#119514 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26134 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

I'm curious if I'll benefit from upgrading my computer.

4K60fps with RTX and DLSS 2.0 enabled w/ a RTX 3090. ;)

#119515 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3246 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

The best one I know is MotokiBench.

#119516 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1365 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

Control (base-game).

This game is a definite "must play."

So I have been super-ass busy for months now, finally played a game and it was Control.  Everything cranked, 1440p, DLSS, Ray Tracing, 60FPS+

Gorgeous.  And cannot wait to see where it goes. 

Worth the wait, for me, but I'm only 2 hours in. 

#119517 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15025 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:00 AM

So I have been super-ass busy for months now, finally played a game and it was Control.  Everything cranked, 1440p, DLSS, Ray Tracing, 60FPS+

Gorgeous.  And cannot wait to see where it goes. 

Worth the wait, for me, but I'm only 2 hours in. 

That's a long time to be standing in front of your fridge

#119518 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5809 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:23 AM

Lolz at this "test".

Half what he's videoing is the game connecting to an online server, nothing to do with loading data from disk. Other load times are hidden behind intro graphics so you wouldn't be able to tell if it loaded any faster or slower. I don't know what he means by getting "in game", etc. 

It's hilarious to me that he thinks all the data starts loading when he presses "continue", like it's some sort of mechanical switch that starts pouring the data  :lol: .

These videos have exactly zero to do with the advantages in question, but it is a hilarious reminder how little tech journalists understand of what they write about.

I'm not remotely tech savvy and even I know these things so that is very sad journalism. 

#119519 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5713 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:36 PM

Sooo ... the latest WoW expansion dropped today. Sort of feels like one of those “if you know you know” kind of things, as most places online don’t really seem to care.

I’m slightly tempted to seek out a CE ... not really sure why, as I haven’t played Wow for years. They’re obviously sold out everywhere on day one, but any sense that more will be made or places to look if I want to grab one at MSRP in the next month or so?

#119520 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:53 PM

Sooo ... the latest WoW expansion dropped today. Sort of feels like one of those “if you know you know” kind of things, as most places online don’t really seem to care.

I’m slightly tempted to seek out a CE ... not really sure why, as I haven’t played Wow for years. They’re obviously sold out everywhere on day one, but any sense that more will be made or places to look if I want to grab one at MSRP in the next month or so?

So glad I never played WoW. If there were new Ultima Online expansions dropping every other year I doubt I would be able to hold down a job and have a family...