* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#120901 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

The first Mass Effect had a great story, glad to see it’s getting some love and not just a new coat of paint. It’s funny because I’d totally pay more for a Legendary CE, but it seems like EA always struggles to take my money.

- edit - Saw the standalone helmet and steelbook set ... which doesn’t include the game. Like I said, they always struggle to take my money ... give me a steelbook, mini art book and soundtrack and I’d pay $100 ...

#120902 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9685 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:42 PM

Can't wait to hear about all of the sweet microtransactions and season pass on the new Mass Effect games, thanks EA!

(the note: "includes single player content only" at the end of the video)

#120903 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3312 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:36 PM

Yep. 

N-OP-E

See I even did it in the 3 stupid endings to the trilogy.  It's HD!

#120904 weretable   is that you baby, or just a brilliant disguise CAGiversary!   1123 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:37 PM

EA is bringing college football back, next year at the soonest though.  I fully expect a reskinned Madden with half of the content locked behind microtransactions and NCAA '14 remaining the best available college football game but I guess anything is possible.  

Edited by weretable, 02 February 2021 - 11:38 PM.

#120905 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   9295 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:26 AM

A reminder to people with cards from the Christmas Sale... They expire on the 5th, so sell or gem them ASAP.

#120906 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26768 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

Embracer Group (owners of THQ Nordic) buys some stuff:

Gearbox got bought for $1.3 billion - https://www.gamesind...in-usd1-3b-deal

Aspyr Media gets bought for $450 million - https://venturebeat....to-450-million/

EDIT:

2K says they still will publish future Borderlands titles from Gearbox - https://www.ign.com/...earbox-takeover

#120907 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:17 PM

(the note: "includes single player content only" at the end of the video)

No ME3 MP included. Which sucks as it was the only redeeming thing in ME3.

It will be interesting to see if Bioware will redo the crappy ending or not. They really could get back into people's good graces by doing so.

#120908 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10596 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:49 PM

It will be interesting to see if Bioware will redo the crappy ending or not. They really could get back into people's good graces by doing so.

They are not adding new or altering any story content, nor are they adding in content that was cut previously. It's purely a visual polish, with some QoL, UI and balancing sprinkled in as well as a unified launcher and character creator. ME1 has the most changes, obviously, as it is the oldest.

While a move to UE4 would have been nice, and restoring some of the cut dialogue would have been appreciated, I'm ok with their direction. This is really aimed at bringing ME1 more in line, quality-wise, with the last two games and to allow a new audience to experience what old fans have loved for years. I suspect it's also to keep the franchise from being remembered as ending on a disappointing note (Andromeda) in order to fill the very long gap until the new game releases.

#120909 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:06 PM

They are not adding new or altering any story content, nor are they adding in content that was cut previously. It's purely a visual polish, with some QoL, UI and balancing sprinkled in as well as a unified launcher and character creator. ME1 has the most changes, obviously, as it is the oldest.

While a move to UE4 would have been nice, and restoring some of the cut dialogue would have been appreciated, I'm ok with their direction. This is really aimed at bringing ME1 more in line, quality-wise, with the last two games and to allow a new audience to experience what old fans have loved for years. I suspect it's also to keep the franchise from being remembered as ending on a disappointing note (Andromeda) in order to fill the very long gap until the new game releases.

Crap is crap then.  I'm not at all excited and I'll keep an eye out for Bioware's obituary.

#120910 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26768 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:08 PM

Why BioWare did not port ME1-3 over to UE4 in this ME: Legendary Edition (Remastered Collection):

https://www.gamespot...4/1100-6487003/

- BioWare says the biggest reason stuff wasn't moved to UE4 was b/c Kismet (UE3's scripting language for cut-scenes) doesn't have an equivalent in the UE4 Engine. 

- Basically, they'd have to basically re-do every cut-scene & special moment over in UE4, if they ported all of ME1-3 over there.

- The game would play & feel different gameplay-wise according to BioWare, if they brought ME1-3 over to UE4.

(Side note: I think they are referring to the combat here).

#120911 Wa1terSobchak   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   5130 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Wa1terSobchak

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:47 PM

Crap is crap then. I'm not at all excited and I'll keep an eye out for Bioware's obituary.

Honestly, if they survived Ass Effect: Andromeda, I don't think redoing one of there most popular trilogies with all its DLCs(*) is going to be the final nail in the Bioware coffin.

#120912 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26768 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

I kind of wish ME3 MP would be its own thing, TBH, not tied to the "Readiness" factor. I did like the MP and found it quite fun, BTW.

I never cared for this "Readiness" Factor thing w/ the MP required to get a better ending for the SP, basically based on how most of this game was really a SP (Single-Player) game. We also know how EA and other companies can be, shutting down MP portions of games and all.

And it's not like ME3's had an offline skirmish mode version of the MP, so you could play against bots either...b/c I'd always worry about BioWare pulling the plug on the MP, at some point in time.

So, it now looks like the "Readiness Factor" for ME: Legendary Edition Collection here is going to be judged across What's Done Across All Three Games in this collection - https://www.gamespot...y/1100-6486987/

Also, The Extended Cut (from ME3) is the canonical ending for ME: LE.

Also, Pinnacle Station (from ME1) is just not in this ME:LE Collection.

EDIT:

Honestly, if they survived Ass Effect: Andromeda, I don't think redoing one of there most popular trilogies with all its DLCs(*) is going to be the final nail in the Bioware coffin.

I think this Trilogy is a license to pretty much print money here. ME: LE is likely going to be a big deal for console gamers, who probably never had the entire collection of ME1-3 all in one place; and now they're able to easily bring their saved games & Shepard characters over from one game-to-the-next with ease here in one big collection.

Sure, on PC - easy enough: have all your ME1,2,3 saves. I still got them. You can pull your saves and Shepards from ME1 to ME2 to ME3.

I think what I'm most curious about in this collection here: how much closer combat-wise they bring ME1 over towards ME2/ME3. Let's face it - ME1's combat ain't on ME2 or ME3's level. ME2 and ME3 was such a big jump in combat, compared to the original ME1.

Also, for this ME:LE Collection - I'd love for the new roll move from ME3 to wind-up in both ME1 and ME2.

#120913 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:51 PM

Never said it would be... I figure they have two new releases (aka not a remake) before they get taken out back and killed.

Also, Pinnacle Station (from ME1) is just not in this ME:LE Collection.

Not a loss at all. This is the only part worse than the ending in the trilogy.

#120914 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9685 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

Can I admit that when I had to replace a broken Seagate spinning HDD back in 2010, when I transferred everything over it lost my ME:2 save file where I was on the final mission, so I never went back to the series?  ME1 and ME2 were two of my favorite games ever, but then I said eff it.  That was back when PC gaming was garbage bc of constant Windows problems, rampant pron viruses, and continuity issues on both Steam and the OS.  Malicious sites used to erase your Windows drivers on the regular.  Those were the dark days of PC gaming: from 2004 to about Windows 7 in 2010.

The new game installation simply wouldn't recognize the old save files. That's the most butthurt I have ever been about losing a 100hr+ save. 

#120915 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9685 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

For a quick fun exercise, do a google search for "list of EA games" or "best EA games (of the last decade)" and count the number of good ones.  How many did you get?

#120916 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5666 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

I’ll happily admit I played through till close to the end of ME1 several years ago before getting bored and never going back to the series.

#120917 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10596 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

And here I am with 800 hours in ME3 on Origin alone. Not counting the two years I played ME3 on PS3. I probably have close to 2000 hours in the trilogy in total.

Still haven't finished Andromeda.

I do hope that EGM, ARK, Omega and PEOM get moved over to legendary. Not holding my breath though.

#120918 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

I hope we see a Switch port when the Pro launches later this year ... I really want portable Mass Effect.

#120919 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

I've never been big on online multiplayer but I absolutely loved the multiplayer in ME3. Shitty that it's not included. I probably put more hours into that than any other MP game and it was easily my favorite online experience, outside of sneaking through the corn grass in Dead By Daylight of course.

#120920 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7060 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

So Pinnacle Station sucked? Good, then that means if/when I get the remasters, I won't feel bad for buying that DLC twice already and not playing it.

#120921 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26768 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:10 PM

Still haven't finished Andromeda.

I don't think most of us have. It has too much UbiSoft meaningless side-questing, TBH.

ME:A also lacks the writing, storytelling, dialogue, decision-making that the original ME Trilogy has & made the series great - in which basically, ME:A lacked the most important stuff that's normally in a BioWare game.

Best things about ME: Andromeda are the graphics quality (the terrain, textures, and worlds look great - not the character models); and the combat & vehicles both play & feel great (as you'd expect with the Frostbite Engine).

#120922 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11432 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:17 PM

I tried ME1 & ME2 and rapidly got bored/frustrated with each and quit.  In contrast, I've played through DA:O five times now but Mass Effect just didn't do much for me.

#120923 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3312 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:02 PM

Yea.. I musta played 1-3 quite a few times.. I'm on like the 3rd planet in Andromeda and can't manage to give a crap

#120924 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:28 AM

The more I read about the Mass Effect re-release, the more I’m starting to question how much effort they actually put in. No multiplayer - semi understandable, but they excluded the Pinnacle Station dlc as well ... which seems pretty questionable. Then they have this song and dance about how they had to create these for “current consoles” and not next gen ... which is just bullshit because guess what, as of last November next gen is current gen. And finally, some of the character redesigns look worse than the original. It reminds me quite a bit of Halo CE remastered ... the art style in the remaster just sucks compared to the original. I fear that the same people who made the horrific faces in Andromeda were brought in on this remaster ... and it shows.

I’ll still buy it, the original Mass Effect games are some of my favorite ... but I don’t get the sense that this was an AAA effort, seems kind of slap dash and a bit of a cash in. So basically like everything from BioWare over the past 9 years.

Edit - This is coming from someone who preferred the art style from Mass Effect 1 and 2 over 3 ... 3 had weird visual issues and characters ended up looking super different. Now it sounds like they’re using 3 for the new character standard in Mass Effect 1 ... so we’ll see how that turns out.

#120925 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11245 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:54 AM

For a quick fun exercise, do a google search for "list of EA games" or "best EA games (of the last decade)" and count the number of good ones.  How many did you get?

Last time EA published good games:

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ffff5970c-pi.jp

And the best of all time:

Mail_Order_Monsters_cover.jpg

#120926 Wa1terSobchak   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   5130 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Wa1terSobchak

Posted 04 February 2021 - 04:25 AM

I tried ME1 & ME2 and rapidly got bored/frustrated with each and quit. In contrast, I've played through DA:O five times now but Mass Effect just didn't do much for me.

giphy.gif

#120927 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10596 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2021 - 04:58 AM

Fwiw, my first experience with EA was with

So, I actually still have trouble associating EA with "games".

#120928 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

The more I read about the Mass Effect re-release, the more I’m starting to question how much effort they actually put in. No multiplayer - semi understandable, but they excluded the Pinnacle Station dlc as well ... which seems pretty questionable.

Trust me when I say this Pinnacle Station isn't worth porting over...  Hell, Bioware/EA is actually do everyone a favor as now there's no temptation to try and play it.  Its combat sim waves in a game that doesn't really have good combat.  There's no story.  Just beat this time so you can go to the next mind numbing round.

That said.  You should always be leery of these remakes.  EA will cut corners in a heartbeat as does nearly every other publisher.

#120929 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

Trust me when I say this Pinnacle Station isn't worth porting over.

Isn't there dlc content that involves the fate of a certain batarian system?  It's been a while so I might be remembering incorrectly.  That seems significant to me since plotwise that element comes up a few times in the later games.

#120930 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:01 PM

Isn't there dlc content that involves the fate of a certain batarian system? It's been a while so I might be remembering incorrectly. That seems significant to me since plotwise that element comes up a few times in the later games.

THAT one is included. (Bring Down the Sky)