* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#121801 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8831 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:29 AM

You bought a broken monitor from the warehouse. That's what's wrong.

#121802 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:48 PM

Weird as it sounds, I'm actually not entirely convinced that's the problem. 

But yeah.

#121803 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:07 PM

Send it back sounds very screwy functional. Also USB-C adapters  I know from my previous work can be very finnicky connecting to monitors. Some work and some don't. It takes just finding the ones that work correctly. USB-C power and charging is usually OK, but the video output just puts a lot of of headaches in things.

• Ex~ likes this

#121804 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I'm definitely sending it back, I'm just not convinced I'd have better luck with a new one (I'm not convinced that I got a bad one from the warehouse). 

I do like the design of the monitor a lot. It works pretty well as a productivity monitor while having a few comfort features that are good for gaming. But part of the productivity features for me was definitely the USB-C video connection with PD for my laptop. 

The only other options that seem to meet my productivity needs are not only much more expensive, but lacking on the gaming features.

I might just end up getting the non-USB-C version of it and going the hub route, although unfortunately the savings of getting the monitor without USB just about cancel out with the cost of getting a hub. 

It's been remarkably hard shopping for a monitor with a remotely good feature set that isn't 32-plus inches. I would like to know: who is sitting five feet away from their computer monitor? Are people using Coming To America-style dining tables as desks? 24 inch is right for me, but I want at least QHD even at that size.

Judging from monitor shopping, it seems like manufacturers are agreeing that USB-C just isn't worth the headache. Even if it were less of a nightmare with all the different video standards and incompatibility, at the end of the day when you have a bunch of people with power cables that have the exact same connector, you're going to have a bunch of people plugging a power-only cable into the port on their monitor and returning it because it doesn't work.

The whole concept of having a connector type used for multiple different types of cables is fundamentally and fatally flawed. I would adore a cable standard that had video and power and all the rest, the "one cable dream", but it needs to have its own unique connector that, just by looking at the connector, you can know at least some baseline of features you're guaranteed to get. I can accept a few extra features added on, and I can accept revisions in the standard adding more features, something like HDMI. But USB-C is a total shit fest.

#121805 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6111 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:48 AM

Hm, I dunno man, I own a monitor that supports USB-C and I’ve never had an issue with it. I have bought a number of things from Amazon Warehouse that straight up don’t work. I’m honestly not sure Amazon even checks their returns outside of a visual once-over of the product to note any physical damage in the item description. I would go with Best Buy if you insist on open box stuff, at least you can just drive it back and show them the issue.

#121806 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   9258 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:16 PM

Free +1

https://store.steamp...e_Chapter_1__2/

#121807 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1909 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:15 PM

I’m honestly not sure Amazon even checks their returns outside of a visual once-over of the product to note any physical damage in the item description.

Pretty confident they barely do that. Got a electric kettle that had glass in the lid. Cracked. Description said cosmetic damage only.

#121808 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:37 PM

I've played I believe chapter 1 and 2 of this. Not the most amazing adventure game and the story is a little wonky, but the graphics are great. They have this cool claymation effect. Also really cool scenery. I'd recommend it mainly since it was short and decent enough. I need to finish up the chapters.

#121809 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10585 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:01 PM

Conversely, I've bought a bunch of warehouse and refurb stuff and never had an issue. 

I actively search out deals in the warehouse because I've had basically new with damaged box finds for cheap.

Y'all fake cags.

#121810 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26645 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:13 PM

I'm about 13 hours or so into Resident Evil 7 (Steam) and think it's awesome.

RE7 feels like like it has 3 real parts to it: old-school survival-horror game; walking sim; and 1st person perspective game.

It feels like it's part old-school survival-horror game, just like the old Silent Hill games and RE games...where you need to conserve ammo; more methodical & slow-paced in the actual combat when aiming, shooting, and moving; solve some puzzles; and more psychological in the horror here.

Also feels like this game's also part walking sim here, too...as you will need to look at items you pick-up in the game-world up close, rotate them read what's on the Lore, open it or crack it open, etc etc.

All of this, while in the new 1st person perspective; I'm really enjoying it all in 1st person perspective, as it feels more intense & up-close and personal here, too.

#121811 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6111 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:29 PM

I'm about 13 hours or so into Resident Evil 7 (Steam) and think it's awesome.

Feels like part old-school survival-horror game (like the old Silent Hill games and RE games - where you conserve ammo; more methodical & slow-paced in combat; solve some puzzles; and more psychological in the horror here); and part walking sim; and also enjoying it all in 1st person perspective.

Yeah, it’s a fun game. Was mind blowing in VR, but I played mostly in non-VR because it was a little too intense when you’re being chased. Be sure to pick up the free Chris Redfield DLC … pretty much a lead in for RE8.

#121812 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26645 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, it’s a fun game. Was mind blowing in VR, but I played mostly in non-VR because it was a little too intense when you’re being chased. Be sure to pick up the free Chris Redfield DLC … pretty much a lead in for RE8.

I have the entire Gold Edition, so I'm so good to go. When I finish RE7, the DLC's are probably next.

#121813 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:35 AM

That game was straight up stressful. Got through the burning barn section and have been on an extended break since getting through that. 

RE2: Remake was my jam, though.

#121814 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:40 AM

I didn't love RE7 but I'm glad they didn't continue down the terrible path that the series was headed with RE6. I think 7 even could have been an all-time great if not for the second half. RE1-4 are still the best in the series, imo, and I'm loving the remakes so far. REm4ke better be amazing.

Right now I'm quite a ways into VIllage and it is a bit of a mixed bag. The story is dumb even by RE standards and the pacing is odd, to say the least. It also does two things with its design that I abhor: 1) you can waste resources in a battle you're not meant to win and 2) the game breaks up its pacing with too many cutscenes (especially early in the game) and in some cases you can't go back to where you just were after a cutscene so it's possible to miss some items and exploration without realizing it. THAT SAID, when the game is on, it's really on. I thought the first main level and boss were as good as anything in the series and the game simply oozes atmosphere with its art/sound design. There haven't been a ton of new games to really push the 3080 since it launched but this game looks stunning. The levels have been uneven so far but exploring the village and its surrounding areas is prime RE goodness. I think I'm about to enter the final proper level and I think it will be the deciding factor on whether RE8 will earn a spot as one of the best in the series.

#121815 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:50 AM

I think I'm about to enter the final proper level 

If it's a proper RE title that should mean you're about a quarter of the way through.

#121816 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26645 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

Where I'm at in RE7, which I'm guessing might be near the end here (of the base-game)...

Spoiler

#121817 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26645 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:07 PM

Compile the above rebranding of "UbiSoft Originals" w/  them recently renaming their Uplay client-app  to "UbiSoft Connect" (as if they are going to "connect" with other companies/dev's/pub's) - this makes me wonder if they'll start selling more 3rd party games on their UbiSoft Connect client-app, kind of like what Steam and Epic normally do; and/or if they'll have more 3rd party games on their UPlay+ subscription service (like Xbox PC, Xbox Console and Xbox Ultimate Game Pass does).

#121818 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9629 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:29 PM

Compile the above rebranding of "UbiSoft Originals" w/  them recently renaming their Uplay client-app  to "UbiSoft Connect" (as if they are going to "connect" with other companies/dev's/pub's) - this makes me wonder if they'll start selling more 3rd party games on their UbiSoft Connect client-app, kind of like what Steam and Epic normally do; and/or if they'll have more 3rd party games on their UPlay+ subscription service (like Xbox PC, Xbox Console and Xbox Ultimate Game Pass does).

Years behind.

The community has already branded their games as "Ubisoft-likes" long ago.  Their own games are simulacra of themselves. 

#121819 Wa1terSobchak   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   5118 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Wa1terSobchak

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:50 PM

UbiSoft will be branding their games to "UbiSoft Originals".

Compile the above rebranding of "UbiSoft Originals" w/ them recently renaming their Uplay client-app to "UbiSoft Connect" (as if they are going to "connect" with other companies/dev's/pub's) - this makes me wonder if they'll start selling more 3rd party games on their UbiSoft Connect client-app, kind of like what Steam and Epic normally do; and/or if they'll have more 3rd party games on their UPlay+ subscription service (like Xbox PC, Xbox Console and Xbox Ultimate Game Pass does).

596k83.jpg

#121820 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:33 PM

Where I'm at in RE7, which I'm guessing might be near the end here (of the base-game)...

Spoiler

Although I never finished the game, I did see a play-through and RE7 breaks with the tradition of having at least four increasingly escalating scenarios, each of which seems like it's building to a finale. It just has two stages: plantation, tanker.

If they were still making games the way they made RE4 it would have been: plantation, tanker, strange cult that lives inside of a giant sea creature, underwater sea castle, underwater space shuttle launch platform, mars colony, middle of the sun military base.

#121821 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6111 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:49 PM

Although I never finished the game, I did see a play-through and RE7 breaks with the tradition of having at least four increasingly escalating scenarios, each of which seems like it's building to a finale. It just has two stages: plantation, tanker.

If they were still making games the way they made RE4 it would have been: plantation, tanker, strange cult that lives inside of a giant sea creature, underwater sea castle, underwater space shuttle launch platform, mars colony, middle of the sun military base.

I’ve heard the final act of RE8 brings back the batshit crazy aspect of RE … but then I haven’t even started playing it yet. In the review, that was leveled as a criticism, but I think real RE fans appreciate the insanity.
  • Ex~ likes this

#121822 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1337 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:22 AM

I chickened out of playing RE7 since I'm generally not good with first-person horror/jump-scare games, but all the RE8 hype has made me want to give it another shot when my GPU comes back from RMA next week.

#121823 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:35 AM

Just tried out some Metro Exodus Enhanced and there is some truly hideous ghosting going on when you have HDR and DLSS both on. It makes the entire game feel like one of those unfortunate drug-induced hallucination scenes they seem to put in every Far Cry game. Hopefully they fix it because otherwise it really is a showcase for that raytracing crap.

#121824 caggamer1   Banned Banned   27 Posts   Joined 0.1 Years Ago  

caggamer1

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:47 AM

No, he didn't. I read his post over and he never said that. He didn't order a previously owned one or a broken one from a returns pallet or whatever. Warehouse has open box items, it doesn't mean they're broken. You can still return it though so he is fine.

#121825 Wa1terSobchak   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   5118 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Wa1terSobchak

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:57 AM

No, he didn't. I read his post over and he never said that. He didn't order a previously owned one or a broken one from a returns pallet or whatever. Warehouse has open box items, it doesn't mean they're broken. You can still return it though so he is fine.

Well if he had 1 previously owned monitor multiplied by 1 broken monitor that would be 2 monitors... Ergo, 1x1=2...TRUTH!!!

#121826 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6111 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:08 AM

So I have to confess … started playing RE8 tonight. Saw Hardcore mode and figured “hey the demo wasn’t too hard once I got the hang of it” … Made it to the second werewolf attack … and gave up. Hardcore felt like some kind of first person demon’s souls where you literally need to memorize the level and any screw ups will kill you.

I wanted to be a hardcore badass … but I guess I just need to accept I’m too old for anything more than standard.

#121827 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:26 AM

Wait, is RE8 in first person?

#121828 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6111 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:08 AM

Wait, is RE8 in first person?

Yep, same as 7 … direct sequel to 7. But feels a lot like the spiritual successor to 4.

It also feels like ever since 4 the series has gone from being a zombie/lab horror game to more of a Labyrinth-esque fantasy horror game. There’s a scene early in the game, after you reach the Village, which literally feels like David Bowie could walk in and start singing … it even has some weird cackling muppet-marionette thing. So yeah, get excited 😜

#121829 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

Yep, same as 7 … direct sequel to 7. But feels a lot like the spiritual successor to 4.

It also feels like ever since 4 the series has gone from being a zombie/lab horror game to more of a Labyrinth-esque fantasy horror game. There’s a scene early in the game, after you reach the Village, which literally feels like David Bowie could walk in and start singing … it even has some weird cackling muppet-marionette thing. So yeah, get excited 😜

I’m so glad I dropped this IP like a hot brick after 4.

#121830 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:13 PM

RE games are my favorite get $20 or under games. Usually happens after a year so playing them a year behind is great. I don't play them though, so I don't buy them often either haha.