- - - - -

2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#31 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

"Cherry picking stuff to sell on shopgoodwill.com benefits the company." And by company you mean the higher ups that can make 6 figures a year. Theyre suppose to be a nonprofit thrift store yet they cherry pick valuable items that they didnt even pay a penny for to sell on their own auction website.......for as much PROFIT as they can get! Not to mention the fact that they dont clean or test anything and the shipping prices are crazy.

I use to go into GW everyday and probably purchase something from them because they marked stuff cheap just to move inventory. Now I go maybe 4 times a month......same junk sitting there. Only thing new is whatever Target treasures they got sitting in the cases up front.

That being said I wouldve called out the employee as well because I know employees were buying that stuff up around here before they started sending stuff to SGW. Turns out my competition around here was employees and that website.

#32 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

"Cherry picking stuff to sell on shopgoodwill.com benefits the company." And by company you mean the higher ups that can make 6 figures a year. Theyre suppose to be a nonprofit thrift store yet they cherry pick valuable items that they didnt even pay a penny for to sell on their own auction website.......for as much PROFIT as they can get! Not to mention the fact that they dont clean or test anything and the shipping prices are crazy.

Yeah, the higher ups do make obscene amounts of money, but to this day they still claim (and back it up) that 83 cents of every dollar of the average $5 billion annual income goes to programs and services to help people.  83% efficiency is pretty good when compared to other charities.

The shopgoodwill stuff has gotten out of hand, I'll agree there.  Some stores around here, instead of shipping stuff out, will special price anything remotely valuable or looking of value.  

The store I frequent is one of the few that doesn't overprice and have actually lowered set prices in the past year: CD's are .99, DVD's and games are a flat 1.99, TV series are 2.99-4.99 with very little deviation from there. All were $1 higher a year ago.

They are only sending some stuff out because the DM is pressuring them to.  

#33 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:21 AM

Yeah, the higher ups do make obscene amounts of money, but to this day they still claim (and back it up) that 83 cents of every dollar of the average $5 billion annual income goes to programs and services to help people.  83% efficiency is pretty good when compared to other charities.

The shopgoodwill stuff has gotten out of hand, I'll agree there.  Some stores around here, instead of shipping stuff out, will special price anything remotely valuable or looking of value.  

The store I frequent is one of the few that doesn't overprice and have actually lowered set prices in the past year: CD's are .99, DVD's and games are a flat 1.99, TV series are 2.99-4.99 with very little deviation from there. All were $1 higher a year ago.

They are only sending some stuff out because the DM is pressuring them to.  

What? DVD are $2.99, TV series for example smallville $12.99.

#34 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11420 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:42 AM

Those aren't the prices at my local Goodwills. 

#35 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8429 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:47 AM

Prices vary by district/store.

#36 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

What? DVD are $2.99, TV series for example smallville $12.99.

Those aren't the prices at my local Goodwills. 

Prices vary by district/store.

This.  Around here, DVD's used to be 2.99, but were dropped to 1.99 last year, CDs went from 1.99 to .99.  Some of the district stores will try to tack on special find pricing to some stuff, though.

#37 Roninalchemist   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   551 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Roninalchemist

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

One more question...why is this going out to shopgoodwill.com? These are kids games and kids don't shop at shopgoodwill.com.  If I donate something I wanted my items to stay within MY community.

This.  This is one thing I really hate about GW...too bad the Salvation Army stores in my neck of the woods suck.

#38 gatordeve86   CAG Master CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

gatordeve86

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

Just picked up Call of Duty Black Ops 3 for Xbox One for $10 at Goodwill

#39 BearsFan11  

BearsFan11

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

Stopped by 3 thrift stores didn't see much but I picked up New Super Mario Bros Wii CIB for $7.41 after tax and store wide 30% off. Almost picked up NSMB2 3ds until I saw the $20 price tag

#40 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:19 AM

Stopped by 3 thrift stores didn't see much but I picked up New Super Mario Bros Wii CIB for $7.41 after tax and store wide 30% off. Almost picked up NSMB2 3ds until I saw the $20 price tag

Man, cant get any games due to dealers hanging when they price stuff.

#41 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:27 AM

Found a black DS3 controller today for 2.99.  Sticky buttons, but nothing 15 minutes and some alcohol couldn't fix.  Now my $8 320gb slim PS3 from a few weeks ago is complete with a good controller.

#42 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:30 AM

Found a black DS3 controller today for 2.99.  Sticky buttons, but nothing 15 minutes and some alcohol couldn't fix.  Now my $8 320gb slim PS3 from a few weeks ago is complete with a good controller.

What? $8 for a PS3? Really? Was this at a yardsale or like a goodwill store?

#43 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

At the same goodwill.  It dawned on me earlier today that it was probably the work of the cherry picker that I happened to find before he got off work to grab himself.  It was hidden behind a bunch of stuff and I almost missed it, so who knows...

#44 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

At the same goodwill.  It dawned on me earlier today that it was probably the work of the cherry picker that I happened to find before he got off work to grab himself.  It was hidden behind a bunch of stuff and I almost missed it, so who knows...

But $8? No way they would price it like that. Probably someone that was going to buy it and priced it that low. Saw a phat ps3 with 4usb in the front for $80

#45 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8429 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

That's literally what he said... The cherry picker priced it $8 and hid it for when he got off work, but sp00ge found it first...

#46 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

That's literally what he said... The cherry picker priced it $8 and hid it for when he got off work, but sp00ge found it first...

Yep. I mentioned it to the manager today and he said that was most likely what happened.  He didn't ask me to bring it back, though, so I'm in the clear there.  With consoles with hard drives, they are supposed to ship them out to get formatted.  I had to pull out the HDD and format it in my PC anyways, since it was stuck in an update loop.

And the manager also told me that there's an investigation that's happening next week when someone from corporate shows up over the issue.  The guy never called back to voluntarily resign, so they're most likely charging him.  They also think he may have had someone else working with him, so who knows what's going to happen,

On the finds front, I picked up Resident Evil 4 and Excitebots for the wii for 1.99/ea, and a rock candy PS3 controller (sticky buttons just like the DS3) for 1.99.  I also avoided trouble for being out all morning (without the kids for once :D/ ) with a brand new 4.99 pair of converse all-stars for the fiance.

#47 Burchamj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   805 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:55 AM

so i went to goodwill today, found a copy of xenoblade chronicles x! for 29.99, but it was opened with a seal from the store closing it. I asked the lady to open it and make sure it was in the case, she told me of course, as it's brand new. I get home, upon further inspection, it is a cd-r with  printed paper artwork glued to the disc...  Fuck

#48 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6649 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

so i went to goodwill today, found a copy of xenoblade chronicles x! for 29.99, but it was opened with a seal from the store closing it. I asked the lady to open it and make sure it was in the case, she told me of course, as it's brand new. I get home, upon further inspection, it is a cd-r with  printed paper artwork glued to the disc...  Fuck

You should have opened it right after buying it to be safe. When in doubt as they say...

#49 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   512 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

"Game Over: Press Start to Continue" book for $0.99. Wish it was in a little better condition, but wasn't going to pass it by for that price.

#50 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

Got a Sony alarm clock/music player/image viewer/iPod dock for about $8. It was marked $9.55 but there was a 25% discount that day, bringing the price down. I'm using it right now... it's not perfect but it's easily the most high-tech alarm clock I've ever owned. It's got a seven inch color LCD display, man!

Yeah that Sony Dash alarm clock is pretty nice. If I saw one of those for that price I'd grab one myself. Great find!

#51 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1541 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

Well, it's not quite that advanced. It's called a Dream Machine; it's basically an alarm clock / music player / digital frame with iPod connectivity. There's no touch screen input and no internet, but I've heard people are having trouble with the Dash lately so it's no big loss.

#52 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Well, it's not quite that advanced. It's called a Dream Machine; it's basically an alarm clock / music player / digital frame with iPod connectivity. There's no touch screen input and no internet, but I've heard people are having trouble with the Dash lately so it's no big loss.

Dream Machine was pretty much Sony's generic name for an alarm clock.  I had a Sony Dream Machine back in the 90s, way before ipods, etc.  It was an LCD alarm clock in the shape of a white cube with an analog AM/FM tuner, nothing more.

#53 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1541 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

In that case, let me narrow it down a little.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B002OB4BKI

#54 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

In that case, let me narrow it down a little.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B002OB4BKI

Nice!  Far cry compared to this one:  http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00000K3QZ

#55 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1541 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

I would say so! But I do wish this system had a shuffle function. You can load it up with tunes using a memory card, but they all play alphabetically, which is... aggravating. Still, I can't complain.

#56 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

I think cherry picker getting fired may have been a bigger blessing than previously thought, either that or just some really strange coincidences. Today, I dropped in to return a broken Namco Plug and Play and ran through really quick.  As soon as I walked to the electronics aisle, sitting right in front of me was a plastic baggy with 18 DS games in it marked 5.99.  

Some shovelware, but some good stuff including Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which alone was worth the price.  

2016-01-20%2016.52.34_zpsvsec8qkc.jpg

#57 BearsFan11  

BearsFan11

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

Stopped by goodwill during lunch and picked up a copy of mario super sluggers wii for $2.39

#58 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   512 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

Stopped by Sally's and picked up some books for the kids (Pokemon chapter books and a Star Wars Origami book). I also found a couple CDs for myself for $0.50 each: Living Colour "Buscuit" EP and a 6-track Red Hot Chili Peppers Promotional CD sampler from 1987 that appears to be signed by Anthony Keidis and Flea. No clue if the signatures are legit, but I'm really happy with my find.

#59 Kaipper  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

IMG_5718.JPG

These were $3 each. The PS2 games are all complete, but Borderlands actually has the game disc of the GOTY edition inside. Mildly disappointed I couldn't find the add-on disc as well, but not a bad haul I think.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to brave Disgaea. After playing some of Atlus's other games (Trauma Center), I'm a little worried as to the frustration level...

#60 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:07 AM

Half off media and I didnt buy 1 game at 3 different GWs! Thats how much of a joke theyve become around here. I did luck out for once and got a black wireless Xbox One controller with the Play and Charge Kit like NIB for $20. Thought that was odd considering they wanted $20 for the $25 headsets and $40 for the $50 headsets! I would love just 1 nice retro find again! And I passed on a Parrot Rolling Spider drone, they retail for $100 and GW wanted $40 but it was just the drone and the wheels in the opened box. No usb cable, booklets, or inside packaging. Plus I got a mini drone and I barely play with as is.