* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#23791 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2946 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Is it me, or does it seem like they based the look of this character off of Steve Buscemi?

5F1B2fB.jpg

how-do-you-do-fellow-quiz-2-16025-146067

#23792 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4760 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Super Neptunia RPG coming west for PS4, Switch this fall

Monolith Soft Urgently Recruiting Developers With Action Game Experience

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded gameplay trailer

Spoiler

Nintendo letting fans reserve play slots to play Smash Bros. Switch at E3 2018

Okami HD for Switch releasing August 9 in North America and Europe

Mario Tennis Aces Gets A Trailer Showing Off Adventure Mode

#23793 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8816 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Super Neptunia RPG looks cute enough. Not sure i'll get it on release, or around $20 like I do all the other Neptunia games. Yeah that's likely the outcome.

#23794 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

In for Bowser's Deception.

This is fun:
- Romance of the Three Mushroom Kingdoms
- Atelier Rosalina: Alchemist of the Rolling Green Galaxy
- Mighty Bob-omb Jack
- Bowser Jr. And the Band of the Hawk
- Super Mario Bros: Xtreme Beach Volleyball

[HEAVY BREATHING]

#23795 sovereignNX-73811   THINKS HE CAN TAKE the whole Ardanian Army CAGiversary!   5688 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

Aw, was hoping they'd remaster the old ones but there is hope now! Just hope if/when it hits the US it won't be like $50 or something like that. 

Speaking of cartridges... https://kotaku.com/s...ames-1826060406

Well that's not a surprise. 

#23796 nagpo  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

You can always count on Nintendo for getting those sick new games. I've never heard of this "Okami" game before.

#23797 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

If they pimped out Okamiden half as often as Okami..

#23798 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   651 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

As always, I look forward to a fancy LE to pre-order.

#23799 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

VA-11 Hall-A is coming to PS4 and Switch in early 2019

Indivisible has been delayed until 2019

There have also been some updates to Chrono Trigger on Steam with another patch coming in June. They seem to mostly aim at fixing the UI and making it much more KB&M/Controller friendly. Hopefully they give their other mobile ports the same treatment that have released on Steam and other platforms.

#23800 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

I really like the demo for Indivisible, but I only heard about the game a few months ago so I haven't been keeping tabs on it. Otherwise I might be upset about the delay.

#23801 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Indivisible has been delayed until 2019

There have also been some updates to Chrono Trigger on Steam with another patch coming in June. They seem to mostly aim at fixing the UI and making it much more KB&M/Controller friendly. Hopefully they give their other mobile ports the same treatment that have released on Steam and other platforms.

What a bunch of crooks, they charged my card well over a year ago for purchases made to support them and they've bumped it back again? It originally had a ship date of early 2018 and I think even earlier before that 'delay'. Talk about shitty / skeezy business management, take everyones money and then drag their feet.

#23802 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   634 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

What a bunch of crooks, they charged my card well over a year ago for purchases made to support them and they've bumped it back again? It originally had a ship date of early 2018 and I think even earlier before that 'delay'. Talk about shitty / skeezy business management, take everyones money and then drag their feet.

Kickstarter.txt

#23803 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40025 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

That's what happens when you treat Kickstarter like a store, because it's not one.

#23804 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1276 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

Saw this announcement earlier today.  I'm glad the game is gonna reach more people, it was a fun little VN with some interesting characters, a cute drink mixing game and an incredibly catchy soundtrack.

#23805 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7277 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Vallhalla is 100% all about the soundtrack.  All sorts of swanky backroom bar jazz,  synth and electro melodies, and some ambient lounge stuff.  It rocks. Love it so much.  Most of music commonly associated with cyberpunk style started back in 1982 with Blade Runner.  The reflective saxophone track that plays during the Zhora scene, and the other ambient melodies that play during spinner travel and in Deckard's apartment. 

I've found that in recent years that my favorite non-blockbuster games are the ones with strong music composition.  It really takes you into the element and creates archives in your mind that correspond with the various music tracks.  Music is the answer, for most of the best indie and smaller sized games.  Music is how those games register and stay on your radar forever.

For instance, I just started playing Danganronpa 2 on PS4.   As soon as Monokuma makes his first surprise appearance and his theme kicks in, it brings you directly back to the first game, and the feelings and emotions associated with it.  Every time his theme busts in you're waiting for all mayhem to break loose. 

We don't think Vallhalla is coming to PS4 in physical form, do we?

#23806 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

I haven't seen anything confirming there would or would not be a physical PS4 or Switch version. Though there's still a lot of time until it releases on the two platforms. I think those two platforms have the highest chance of having one at launch.

#23807 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

That's what happens when you treat Kickstarter like a store, because it's not one.

Oh is that what happens? We've got a genius in the house ladies and gentlemen.

Expecting a company / people to keep their own timelines / promises is part of every aspect of life, somehow Einstein here phrases it like I'm in the wrong for being a bit peeved that a game has been pushed back over a year further than promised and I've already been charged.

#23808 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:12 AM

Delays are practically to be expected with Kickstarter. I've backed three projects now, and all three of them were delayed. I also intend to be a slacker backer of Shenmue III, and THAT just got hit with a delay as well.

#23809 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

This was the first time I had ever backed anything, so it took this one learning experience which I'll remember going forward.

#23810 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4018 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

This was the first time I had ever backed anything, so it took this one learning experience which I'll remember going forward.

Let this be a lesson to you: Kickstarter is a system that offers zero accountability. Delays are the absolute least offensive of the myriad sins project creators can expect to get away with, often with fans justifying their actions for them.

As such, Kickstarter projects should never, under any circumstances, be invested in. The amount of money that has been invested in worthwhile, successful projects that have fulfilled the promise of their initial attempts to attract backers is a drop in the bucket compared to what's been wasted on everything else. It's an awful system that encourages rot in indie development.

#23811 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:31 AM

Well that's not an extreme opinion.

#23812 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1450 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:58 AM

I dunno, I just don't think either Dick Van Dyke or Steve Martin would make a good Dante.

I'm assuming if they include Devil May Cry 4 characters in a Hollywood movie Lady Gaga will be playing Gloria.

#23813 Ibacai  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:59 AM

Two truly amazing games have come out this gen because of Kickstarter, so I’m good. Just have to roll with the punches.

#23814 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4760 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

Final Fantasy XI Developers On The Possibilities Of A PS4 Port Or An Offline Version

Code Vein Reveals New Character, Dungeon and Hammer Attacks on Famitsu

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle Trailer Highlights Its Main Features With The Team RWBY

Spoiler

Blade Strangers – Helen trailer

Okami HD for Switch will have a physical release in Japan

Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes first details, screenshots

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV for PS4 Shows Fie and More in New Screenshots

#23815 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2677 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:13 AM

I'll leave my opinions on Kickstarter out, as I have many and they are not pertinent.

I will say that I never really put much thought into how long making a video game took until Kickstarter came around. Bethesda shows early initial footage of Elder Scrolls X Fallout at E3, and I immediately (or after I wake up again in the hospital) start the countdown clock.
I never gave any thought to the two years of paperwork, resource management, writing, and everything else that was done before that announcement. Games that need funding ahead of time don't have that padded time, because people know about it immediately.

#23816 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7277 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

I hope Kickstarter dies.   We have enough choices for entertainment that we don't need to crowdfund people's salaries and side hobbies, or gamble upon something getting released.  If the project does make it, you can usually buy the standard edition product when it hits retail anyways.  That's just my opinion.  Barring something extraordinary, I won't be doing it again. 

Lesson learned; it could have been worse.  KS can remain for the people with lots of money to donate. 

Star Citizen is TOTALLY coming out this year you guys. 

#23817 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11227 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

The only game I backed was Muv Luv and we're going to get it in the Summer. :whee:

I also backed Grisaia's $1 Tier in the hopes a Vita version gets made. But that has gone nowhere. Cuz Sekai Project is a terrible and an incredibly slow company.

#23818 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3891 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

The more videos I see of Death Stranding being linked to Metal Gear & P.T the more I'm convinced it's true, E3 2018 showing of Death Stranding is going to be amazing.

#23819 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4760 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Bullet Girls Phantasia Gets Tons of Screenshots Showing Waifus and Fanservice

Closed Nightmare for PS4 and Nintendo Switch Gets Creepy New Screenshots

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker launches August 30 in Japan

Higurashi’s Next Chapter is Coming in June

Lots of Blade Strangers footage with Gunvolt

Spoiler

#23820 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6524 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

The realities of Kickstarter are very simple, as are any "investments", do your homework and know the risk, and act accordingly. KS IS NOT A RETAIL OUTLET! If you have no patience, KS is not for you. If you have no common sense, KS is not for you.

I've backed 27 projects in total, of that amount 19 have been delivered as promised. 7 are currently pending, and only 1 has failed. Several are done deals, where final production is currently happening, or is very close. And of the one that failed, it was a business I had prior experience with, and had no reason to believe that one wouldn't get delivered on. So even with my best intentions, shit still happens.

If I bought 27 different stocks, and had 19 deliver above board, I would be in good shape, as I have been with KS. KS is a very solid service, that is only as good as the person asking for funds or the person pledging to it. For those who look at some pie in the sky pledge video, of a game that hasn't even started development, that is the same as loaning money to a friend who is unemployed, and has been since you've known them. How likely is he to pay you back? Or deliver on something he promised? Not going to happen 9/10 times.