* * * * - 18 votes

Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

#12721 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10053 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

I’m surprised it took them this long to stop the 3 cent games from being purchased. It doesn’t effect me since I always had problems trying to buy them but I feel bad for anyone else that normally had success getting them and won’t be able to anymore.

#12722 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:11 PM

Looks like my 3 cent copy of Darksiders Warmastered Edition for Switch officially marks the end of an era.  Honestly, when they started doing the 3 cent thing to *Switch* games as opposed to just old PS3, 360, and Wii games, we probably should have seen it as writing on the wall.  There's a store about 30 miles from here that actually printed out 3 cent Clearance tags and put them on display, encouraging people to clear them out.

#12723 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1838 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:17 PM

No go guys c3MrYDZ.jpeg

I want to make a MOM cereal joke but I'm more curious about what MOM cereal actually is

#12724 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:20 PM

I want to make a MOM cereal joke but I'm more curious about what MOM cereal actually is

It was a big bag of Fruit Loops.

I had it sitting on top of the games so the clerk wouldn't see them when scanning the beer for the age check.

#12725 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

There's a store about 30 miles from here that actually printed out 3 cent Clearance tags and put them on display, encouraging people to clear them out.

Typically just some low level electronics person that doesn't know any better. When it happened at my store they got chewed out pretty bad by management. Got the message across though as there wasn't a single 3 cent sticker on anything after that.

#12726 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1838 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

It was a big bag of Fruit Loops.
I had it sitting on top of the games so the clerk wouldn't see them when scanning the beer for the age check.

Ahhh, it was Malt O Meal. That is a terrible name but it's priced right

#12727 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5636 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

Hopefully this is just a "mistake" or a test. Maybe they could clearance out there stuff faster instead of siting on up to 4 generations of games in a store and not do allow stores to override a major clearance.

#12728 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:26 PM

My last 3 cent game was Battlefield 1 revolution on ps4. RIP 3 cent games

#12729 Shad0WeN  

Shad0WeN

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:46 PM

Typically just some low level electronics person that doesn't know any better. When it happened at my store they got chewed out pretty bad by management. Got the message across though as there wasn't a single 3 cent sticker on anything after that.

Well to me if anything the blame falls on management and it should chew itself out for its own incompetence in its A) failure to train employees adequately B) not treating them in such a way as to make them apathetic towards their jobs, and C) literally taking years to address the $0.03 item issue with a meaningful solution. Of course that won't happen though as corporations are rife with double-standards.

#12730 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:51 PM

Hopefully this is just a "mistake" or a test. Maybe they could clearance out there stuff faster instead of siting on up to 4 generations of games in a store and not do allow stores to override a major clearance.

I believe our $.03 days are over. They can certainly do major clearance to $1, $3, $5, etc. But the $.03 state is specifically for "Return to warehouse for vendor return". They get like $30 credit per title. This has been the case since the first $.03 spree in 2018.

#12731 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5636 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:54 PM

I believe our $.03 days are over. They can certainly do major clearance to $1, $3, $5, etc. But the $.03 state is specifically for "Return to warehouse for vendor return". They get like $30 credit per title. This has been the case since the first $.03 spree in 2018.

I mean a test to see if this work or an error where tomorrow those games are back at regular price.

#12732 Nathan_Sama   I'm backwards compatable. CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Nathan_Sama

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

It always seems hit and miss with this 3 cent thing. Not too long ago I got liked 3 copies of Destiny 2 for that price doing self checkout with no fuss, but 2 years back they wouldn't let me buy any of them arguing it was a misprice, and I could buy them all for he last sticker price, which was like $50. I had then pointed out ALL THE OTHER 3 cent games I had zero interest in. Then they let me purchase 1 out of the 5 I wanted. 

#12733 MarkiplierOfficial  

MarkiplierOfficial

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

I'm going to give it a shot, I've always been able to get 3 cent games at my local Walmart

#12734 jack987   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:43 PM

Whelp, that was really unfortunate.  Though I'd give it a shot for these 3 cent games but experienced the same as the majority of you guys here.  Most of the 3 cent titles are being pulled off the shelf by store associates and even if you manage to find one, the register will deny the sale.

For anyone lucky enough to get a game, let us know what you did.  

#12735 JustinSaneV2  

JustinSaneV2

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:53 PM

I'm going to give it a shot, I've always been able to get 3 cent games at my local Walmart

It's not associates refusing to sell the games but rather the system/registers are refusing the sale.  You're not going to get any employee to be able to override it since they are marked as recall.

#12736 Leowned   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:03 PM

Managed to find Daemon X Machina for 3 cents but it was a no go at the register.

#12737 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4417 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:09 PM

It's not associates refusing to sell the games but rather the system/registers are refusing the sale.  You're not going to get any employee to be able to override it since they are marked as recall.

Is this a recent change? Cause I was able to buy 3 cent games a month ago.

#12738 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5636 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hopefully it's just this batch of games. I just got FIFA 18 & 19 last week.

#12739 ritchardf  

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:57 PM

no FO76 in my search area....yeah okay, I know all of mine have about 50 of these laying around

fyi, its because that link takes you to the updated sku version, the ones laying around all walmarts are the initial steelbook run. then again, even the steelbook version says 0 on hand at my store at 3 cents and last weekend there were at least 2 dozen.

#12740 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   889 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:16 AM

Found a 1200 lumen Stanley flashlight at the Walmart by my fiancée's parents. Holy hell, is that thing bright. Was 29.97, on clearance for 15.00.

814632011960, looks like.

#12741 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:29 AM

Well to me if anything the blame falls on management and it should chew itself out for its own incompetence in its A) failure to train employees adequately B) not treating them in such a way as to make them apathetic towards their jobs, and C) literally taking years to address the $0.03 item issue with a meaningful solution. Of course that won't happen though as corporations are rife with double-standards.

No argument from me, I mentioned it last time we had 3 cent stuff happen in the thread that I just assume it's bad management.

#12742 MarkiplierOfficial  

MarkiplierOfficial

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I didn't have much hope for things to be different in mine but I had some stuff I needed to get there anyway. By the time I had gotten there they had already pulled anything that was marked as 3 cents from the shelves even though Brickseek said it was in stock just a handful of minutes prior.

#12743 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7091 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2021 - 01:06 AM

The thing I'm wondering is if managers will have the opportunity to override the price and put back out on the floor.  I know a bunch of stores that took the last batch of 3c games and just raised them back up to $5-$20 

Also, it seems like a lot of these games only dropped to 3 cents at like 1/3 of the nearby stores and are still full price at the others.  If it was a company-wide rebate thing, you'd think it would be companywide.  

#12744 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 26 March 2021 - 01:21 AM

Per brickseek : Disclaimer: If priced at 3 cents, the item is restricted and is no longer available for purchase.

#12745 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1524 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:30 AM

The thing I'm wondering is if managers will have the opportunity to override the price and put back out on the floor.  I know a bunch of stores that took the last batch of 3c games and just raised them back up to $5-$20 

Also, it seems like a lot of these games only dropped to 3 cents at like 1/3 of the nearby stores and are still full price at the others.  If it was a company-wide rebate thing, you'd think it would be companywide.

The $.03 recall is so they can send them back to the vebdor and get credit back for them. They will likely make more money doing this than keeping them on the shelves to sit there until they are down to $10.

#12746 mikeshinobi  

mikeshinobi

Posted 26 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

A local Walmart did drop Layton to $5, but I couldn't find it.

Damn. The best I've seen near me on brickseek is $25. Needless to say I was pretty excited by the prospect of getting it for 3 cents :'(

#12747 RiceQuakes Classic   The One, the Only.....RiceQuakes CAGiversary!   3814 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

RiceQuakes Classic

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

The only time that I've had luck buying a $.03 game was when I could take it to self checkout and get it paid for before they opened the security case for me. Any time they have to get them out of the electronic's case I've been shot down. Regardless, I may give it a shot anyways!

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is actually able to get through the checkout process this time.

How can you take it to self checkout before they remove it from the security case? Do you mean the cheaper games that aren't in the security case? I see Dragon Quest Builders 2 for 3 cents. I really want to try buying it. Lol

#12748 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4025 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

damn the store i was waiting for a layton drop went from $25 to 3 cents this morning

#12749 salty tbone   Flipmode Squad CAGiversary!   3135 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

salty tbone

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

How can you take it to self checkout before they remove it from the security case? Do you mean the cheaper games that aren't in the security case?

He’s talking about the clamshell cases. Self checkout workers can remove those and spiderwrap. I’ve actually had workers tell me to buy the item before they’ll make the effort to remove the device. Guess they’ve had enough with customers changing their mind after scanning

#12750 The_Central_Scrutinizer  

The_Central_Scrutinizer

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

As great as the $0.03 deals were for us CAGs, it still blows my mind that Walmart kept taking the same "honor system" approach to having the items pulled/blocked from sale. Guess they finally realized that many employees weren't going to put their asses on the line to enforce a policy that corporate themselves could have easily enforced via register restrictions like this.

Sure is the end of an era, though. Crazy to think of how valuable some of the old 3-cent games have become. Anybody who held onto their copy/copies of Rhythm Heaven Fever from the 2018 "sale" must be very happy.